Skip to content

Horton Names Gipson His Midseason MVP

The Browns Board
29 9 1.1k
  • @hoorta said:

    Sort of where I'm at right now- a little improvement from Skrine and Gipson, and this defensive backfield is right up there with the original Dawgs in talent level. To those who want a 6'2" Peterson- Mighty Minnie was a shrimp.

    Probably the best Brown at the position all time. But Don Rodgers and Eric Turner are up there too.

    Hanford Dixon always seemed to get the limelight . as good a tackler Dixon was..Minnie was by far the better athlete and corner...his jumping skills were fab for a little guy. Minnifield always got the #1 receiver to cover and seldom gave up anything...I feel this unit could be better (the current backfield)..gipson included.

    @nickers said:

    Hanford Dixon always seemed to get the limelight . as good a tackler Dixon was..Minnie was by far the better athlete and corner...his jumping skills were fab for a little guy. Minnifield always got the #1 receiver to cover and seldom gave up anything...I feel this unit could be better (the current backfield)..gipson included.

    "In 1987 only 7 passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon." - Greg Brinda, WKNR Radio Cleveland (3:24 mark of the video)

    Loved them both, but in my eyes Dixon was 1A to Minniefield's 1B in the #2 CB tandem of all-time.

    <===== gave me goosebumps

    As I recall only Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes bested them in the list.

  • @nickers said:

    Hanford Dixon always seemed to get the limelight . as good a tackler Dixon was..Minnie was by far the better athlete and corner...his jumping skills were fab for a little guy. Minnifield always got the #1 receiver to cover and seldom gave up anything...I feel this unit could be better (the current backfield)..gipson included.

    "In 1987 only 7 passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon." - Greg Brinda, WKNR Radio Cleveland (3:24 mark of the video)

    Loved them both, but in my eyes Dixon was 1A to Minniefield's 1B in the #2 CB tandem of all-time.

    <===== gave me goosebumps

    As I recall only Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes bested them in the list.

    @tour2ma said:

    "In 1987 only 7 passes were thrown in the direction of Hanford Dixon." - Greg Brinda, WKNR Radio Cleveland (3:24 mark of the video)

    Loved them both, but in my eyes Dixon was 1A to Minniefield's 1B in the #2 CB tandem of all-time.

    <===== gave me goosebumps

    As I recall only Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes bested them in the list.

    They were both great,no doubt. without them...Our D-Line wouldve been easily exposed. Our LB's were very solid...wouldnt call them great.But, very stalwart....Big Daddy and Bubba Baker were wiley old fun....God I miss them days...

  • Robertson is the weakness of the defense.

  • He's not playing as well this year as last year OR preseason, when he covered Tavon Austin step for step. He's also taken some bad angles a couple times and missed tackles, VERY out of character.

    He's an ideal "new breed" 3-4 ILB with crazy quicks and cover ability, but he has been the closest thing to a disappointment (tough to say on a defense this good). AND... because of his burst, he has 3 sacks. I knew he'd do well up the middle in the Daryl Washington role.

    He'd be the guy you could see facing some competition in camp unless he cleans up his game. He was one of the stars of preseason and got a ton of love from Horton... not so much lately.

  • A.J. Johnson would be a good acquisition in the second round.

    His weakness is in pass coverage but it's not for a lack of athletic talent. He's a quick twitch athlete with great speed and fluid hips, and he absolutely punishes anyone he hits.

    If he comes out, I would love to see him in orange and brown. I'm sure Haslam is talking him up as well.

    Ryan Shazier is probably the fastest LB I've seen in the last few years, and he's another guy I would love to see us grab, although he's more suited to be a 4-3 OLB.

  • In the NFL, as soon as you say a linebacker's weak spot is coverage? It's "next."

  • He's not playing as well this year as last year OR preseason, when he covered Tavon Austin step for step. He's also taken some bad angles a couple times and missed tackles, VERY out of character.

    He's an ideal "new breed" 3-4 ILB with crazy quicks and cover ability, but he has been the closest thing to a disappointment (tough to say on a defense this good). AND... because of his burst, he has 3 sacks. I knew he'd do well up the middle in the Daryl Washington role.

    He'd be the guy you could see facing some competition in camp unless he cleans up his game. He was one of the stars of preseason and got a ton of love from Horton... not so much lately.

    Or you can say, "he has the ability... we can teach him up."

    @shep said:

    He's not playing as well this year as last year OR preseason, when he covered Tavon Austin step for step.

    In about 20 yards Austin went from a step behind Robertson to a step ahead. Hardly "step-for step"...

  • I doubt the coaches are rushing to give up on Robertson. He's cat quick and fits this defense really well. As a huge fan (he was pretty awesome last year), I have to admit I've been scratching my head a little at the whiffs, bad angles, and bad coverage.

    We'll see how things go from here. He seemed like a dream fit.

  • I doubt the coaches are rushing to give up on Robertson. He's cat quick and fits this defense really well. As a huge fan (he was pretty awesome last year), I have to admit I've been scratching my head a little at the whiffs, bad angles, and bad coverage.

    We'll see how things go from here. He seemed like a dream fit.

    @shep said:

    I doubt the coaches are rushing to give up on Robertson. He's cat quick and fits this defense really well. As a huge fan (he was pretty awesome last year), I have to admit I've been scratching my head a little at the whiffs, bad angles, and bad coverage.

    We'll see how things go from here. He seemed like a dream fit.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/29/signature-stats-first-downs-allowed-linebackers/

    The dream was more of a nightmare, statistically.

  • Robertson wasn't awesome last year either.

    If he makes one play [regardless of how good the "make" is] and whiffs on seven others... that's not awesome, that's 0.125