Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. The Counselor Review

The Counselor Review

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
4 Posts 3 Posters 762 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    The Counselor

    20th Century Fox

    R

    I'm pretty sure I'm going to have some disagreements with a lot of movies fans over this one.

    As a matter of fact after I'd made up my mind I looked at a very general survey that stated that viewers really didn't like THE COUNSELOR, a Ridley Scott Cormac McCarthy collaboration. Also one of our regular readers went with me and he hated it. So don’t blame me if you do too.

    I believe Scott is a very talented director even though I don't love everything he's done. McCarthy, on the other hand, is one of my favorite authors and I've read many of his novels including Blood Meridian, All the Pretty Horses, No Country for Old Men and The Road.

    If you are familiar with any of these I think it's safe to assume you agree with me that the tone across the board could easily be described as bleak.

    I mean there are times that McCarthy makes Schopenhauer seem like Walt Disney.

    The title character here, the counselor himself,(Michael Fassbinder) is an attorney who is taking the first couple shaky steps over the ethics line.

    He's gotten involved, albeit in a minor role, in a big money drug scheme that involves some foolish, some bad and some truly evil people. When I say truly evil I mean it.

    In the grand philosophy it occurs to me that his inability to fully comprehend that evil is part of the message, if there is a message, of this film.

    I'm also reminded of Billy Pilgrim and the Vonnegut idea that we are all victims of a series of circumstances. But these circumstances are horrible.

    One little series of events takes the counselors life and fate in an entirely unforeseen direction and regardless of his intentions or involvement there is no turning back, no explanations and no second chances.

    Another slightly less literary philosophical statement comes to mind, one that we've all heard before; shit happens.

    I thought the acting was first class with Javier Bardem as an irresponsible playboy, Brad Pitt as the ice cold and pragmatic go between who tries to warn the counselor that he may be in over his head, Cameron Diaz as the ice queen, and Penelope Cruz as the innocent.

    I warn you in advance that this film is not for everyone but if you are already Cormac McCarthy aficionado I'm going to guess you will be intrigued with this one. If not you will probably think I'm out of my mind.

    A

    WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
      • 57k Posts
      • 4k Reputation
      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
      #2

      I guess my main objection to it is not its grotesque depressing nature.....but the fact that the "dialog" was not so much a conversation between people so much, but merely a long series of pontifications.

      It was like reading "Quotes from Boring or Depressing Philosophers".

      Maybe the guy just wants to be a Modern Day Shakespeare.

      It didn't work as entertainment, for me. But maybe that is because I am getting to old for having movies try to remit "life lessons" to me.

      Only Cameron Diaz provided some entertainment.

      At least she did well in her part as the fucking cunt....and I do mean that as a double entendre.

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
        • 39k Posts
        • 9k Reputation
        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
        #3

        I tend to agree, Gipper, but of course sometimes I'm just in the mood for a little of that shit. Hence the Schopenhauer reference.

        WSS

        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • miktoxic miktoxicM
          • 13k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
          #4

          haven't seen it, but now knowing the people involved (scott and mccarthy) i'll be sure to check it out.

          i think the trailer gives away too much as i could prob easily spell out what happens in this movie just knowing what i've seen and what i expect from mccarthy. shit they literally show the brad pitt throat slit scene in that trailer. so i take it the couselor takes care of biz and he and cruz knew what they were doing all along?

          but javier bardem as an 'irresitible' playboy is a far stretch on a visual sense. he's one guy that doesn't 'clean up' that well. (see 007 skyfall).

          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate