Skip to content

Movies

The Browns Board
58 19 1.8k
  • @browns149 said:

    Where do you find the time to watch all these movies? Do you go to the theater or do you get copies and watch them at home? I was just wondering

    I play music and entertain for a living.

    So with the exception of a road trip or a couple months in the summer time I'd work mostly weekends and have all week to go to movies or whatever.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I play music and entertain for a living.

    So with the exception of a road trip or a couple months in the summer time I'd work mostly weekends and have all week to go to movies or whatever.

    WSS

    Nice

  • Westside Stevie...I also happen to be quite obsessed with cinema. Whats your top 5?

    Mine, in no best to worst order....

    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Boogie Nights
    3. Blade Runner
    4. Barton Fink

    5. Jaws

    honorable mention...From Russia With Love, Once Upon A Time In The West, Children Of Men, Raiders Of The Lost Ark

  • I am a huuuuuuuge Tarantino nerd. I think hes God. One of the few truly original filmmakers left in Hollywood.

  • I am a huuuuuuuge Tarantino nerd. I think hes God. One of the few truly original filmmakers left in Hollywood.

    @typicalbrowns said:

    I am a huuuuuuuge Tarantino nerd. I think hes God. One of the few truly original filmmakers left in Hollywood.

    What say you of the "conspiracy" that all of his movies are in the same universe?

    Or his foot fetish?

    I'm not entirely impressed with him, to be honest. He's a fantastic storyteller, but I feel there a few many scenes that are overly gory just to be gory. Not that I'm opposed to gore, I just feel like, unless properly used, it's an empty gesture used solely for shock value and cheap thrills sometimes.

  • A lot of his movies looked great on pre release, and then sucked when you saw them.

  • I am a huuuuuuuge Tarantino nerd. I think hes God. One of the few truly original filmmakers left in Hollywood.

    @typicalbrowns said:

    I am a huuuuuuuge Tarantino nerd. I think hes God. One of the few truly original filmmakers left in Hollywood.

    I hate tarantino with a passion unparalleled by any other hatred I have for entertainment. Why? I can't say I just think he's a douche and all his movies are total unentertaining crap. Resevoir dogs was slightly bearable and that's the highest praise I can muster for any of his films. Of your top five, however, we can agree on one for sure. Jaws is an all time classic.

  • I wouldn't put boogie nights in my top five but it was a great film.

  • I think Tarantino is a lot like M. Night Shamalyan (sp?). The guys both made some really good movies a while ago and as a result get free realm to keep making crappy movies. I will say though I really like Django Unchained, but almost every thing post 2000's from him I hate.

  • How can Goodfellas not be in the top 5?

  • well for Me..My top 5 goes something like this.:

    1. The Godfather

    2. The Ten commandments

    5. The Shawshank Redemption

    4. Casino

    9. The Wild One.

  • Westside Stevie...I also happen to be quite obsessed with cinema. Whats your top 5?

    Mine, in no best to worst order....

    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Boogie Nights
    3. Blade Runner
    4. Barton Fink

    5. Jaws

    honorable mention...From Russia With Love, Once Upon A Time In The West, Children Of Men, Raiders Of The Lost Ark

    @typicalbrowns said:

    Westside Stevie...I also happen to be quite obsessed with cinema. Whats your top 5?

    Mine, in no best to worst order....

    1. Pulp Fiction

    2. Boogie Nights

    3. Blade Runner

    4. Barton Fink

    5. Jaws

    honorable mention...From Russia With Love, Once Upon A Time In The West, Children Of Men, Raiders Of The Lost Ark

    This is impossible but with Boogie Nights in your top 5 you need some work

  • My top five:

    Tremors

    Tremors 2

    Tremors 3

    Tremors

    A 30 minute episode of Community played on loop for 2 hours.

  • my top 5



    Pulp Fiction


    Godfather 2


    Outlaw Josie Wales


    Goodfellas


    The Great Escape



    Best line from all movies ever..............Outlaw Josie Wales......."Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy"



  • Birth of a Nation?

  • cmon. you have to judge by genre and classic/80-90's/new cgi, european etc. etc..

    you don't even have to have a screenplay to shoot leprechaun v.

    classic movie making with true cinematographers focusing on subjects to the correct aperture by the 1/19th of focal length is a lost art nowadays. imagine cutting/editing video by just doing that? cutting and splicing by hand. i became audio/video-wise coming of age in the early 70's, so my top five would go against those who saw movies earlier the i did, even though later in life i watched most of what i wanted to via netflix.

    that being said my top five:

    1. exorcist

    2. seven

    3. texas chainsaw massacre

    4. tell no one

    5. i saw the devil

    hon. mention: saving private ryan, a clockwork orange, bullit, dirty harry.....................

  • The Deer Hunter

  • My top five (in no particular order):

    • The Wicker Man (not the Nicholas Cage remake)
    • Wings of Desire (not the Nicholas Cage remake 😉 )
    • Thin Red Line
    • The Seventh Seal (woe betide Nicholas Cage doing a remake)
    • Badlands (don't you dare Nicholas)
  • Hey all of you movie buffs. I would assume that fairly soon this thread will be moved over to West Side Steve's movie reviews and I hope you guys will also check that page out on occasion. I pretty much agree with Mike that it's just about impossible to pick 5 out of the hundreds of thousands of movies without at least separating them by genre.

    But I wanted to give one tip of the hat to Mike for selecting Tell No One.

    I don't usually bother with many foreign films but I did with this one because it was written by Harlan Coben who I think is the best mystery writer working today.

    Also The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are the two scariest movies ever made.

    And I put a Clockwork Orange at the top of my list. Albeit my list of favorites.

    WSS

  • but even though it's impossible to pick only five and this list might sway on a daily basis here are five from me.

    A Clockwork Orange

    Casablanca

    The Wizard of Oz

    Annie Hall

    Rocky

    WSS

  • and while we are on the subject I've always thought it was unfortunate that we hesitate to put comedies on 5 greatest of all time list.

    Here are 5 of my favorites keeping in mind that it's nearly impossible to narrow it down to 5.

    Animal House

    Stripes

    Caddyshack

    Blazing Saddles

    Hollywood Knights

    (And even though it doesn't count as a single film if you take the collective series of Mystery Science Theater 3000 both with Joel and Mike)

    And I haven't seen it in decades but I remember Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal in What's Up Doc.

    WSS