Movies
-
The Deer Hunter
-
My top five (in no particular order):
- The Wicker Man (not the Nicholas Cage remake)
- Wings of Desire (not the Nicholas Cage remake
) - Thin Red Line
- The Seventh Seal (woe betide Nicholas Cage doing a remake)
- Badlands (don't you dare Nicholas)
-
Hey all of you movie buffs. I would assume that fairly soon this thread will be moved over to West Side Steve's movie reviews and I hope you guys will also check that page out on occasion. I pretty much agree with Mike that it's just about impossible to pick 5 out of the hundreds of thousands of movies without at least separating them by genre.
But I wanted to give one tip of the hat to Mike for selecting Tell No One.
I don't usually bother with many foreign films but I did with this one because it was written by Harlan Coben who I think is the best mystery writer working today.
Also The Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are the two scariest movies ever made.
And I put a Clockwork Orange at the top of my list. Albeit my list of favorites.
WSS
-
but even though it's impossible to pick only five and this list might sway on a daily basis here are five from me.
A Clockwork Orange
Casablanca
The Wizard of Oz
Annie Hall
Rocky
WSS
-
and while we are on the subject I've always thought it was unfortunate that we hesitate to put comedies on 5 greatest of all time list.
Here are 5 of my favorites keeping in mind that it's nearly impossible to narrow it down to 5.
Animal House
Stripes
Caddyshack
Blazing Saddles
Hollywood Knights
(And even though it doesn't count as a single film if you take the collective series of Mystery Science Theater 3000 both with Joel and Mike)
And I haven't seen it in decades but I remember Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal in What's Up Doc.
WSS
-
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
-
Cool Hand Luke
Forest Gump
Shawshank
Rocky
Princess Bride lol....
-
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically. stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
Boogie nights +1 for heather graham full frontal. I'll take it.
-
Great list dfox
Major League may be the best sports comedy ever made
Braveheart is like "dont stop believin" its overplayed and ive heard it a hundred times but theres no denying its a good song still.
Shawshank is the tits
-
Top five is tough but ill give it a whirl:
5., Toy Story.: an amazing achievement that changed animation forever. Possibly the first animated movie that parents could enjoy as much as their children
4. Aliens: the rare sequel that surpasses the original (which was also great) scary as hell to me and really gives you a hopeless isolated with no help coming feeling. The final showdown between Ripley and the queen alien is just awesome.
3. Silence of the lambs: The two best human antagonists of all time in a single film. Anybody not scared by buffalo bill? Bullshit. It puts the lotion on its skin.
2. Jaws: in my opinion the scariest movie of all time. Scarier than Texas chainsaw massacre. Scarier than exorcist. Bruce the shark is a ruthless antagonist that can't be reasoned with, can't be understood. An inhuman eating machine. Due to Spielbergs less is more approach the few scenes the shark actually appears instead of being corny are terrifying. Tell me you can watch jaws then feel comfortable swimming in the ocean. Go ahead, tell me.
1: Forrest Gump. My favorite movie of all time. I'll always watch Forrest Gump when its on. Great great movie. Possibly the most endearing character ever. You root for Gump. You know it.
Honorable mentions:
American Psycho
Shawshank redemption
Terminator 2
-
Do you think Toy Story is the greatest trilogy of all time? Its a valid argument
Jaws is Spielbergs best film, and alot of critics argue it to be one of the greatest films ever made. I actually prefer Alien to Aliens but i see why other people like the opposite. The 2nd has more action and is easier to watch. I also adore The Shining by Kubrick. Bale in American Psycho is awesome.
The only one i am sketchy with is Foress Gump. It is good, but it is overrated IMO. It beat Pulp Fiction for best picture so Thats prolly why i think so lol
-
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
Boogie Nights isn't horrible but when you start talking about the greatest movies of all times it isn't in the discussion.
-
Forrest Gump is far and away the best movie of all time. Let's do a check list of all of the major story line/cinematic/social issue types it hits.
Coming of Age? Check
Drama? Check
Romance? Check
Comedy? Check
Action? Check
War? Check
History? Check
Sports? Check
Family? Check
College? Check
Strip Club? Check
Race Relations? Check
Substance Abuse? Check
Politics? Check
Industry/Business? Check
All this with Tom Hanks playing a mentally challenged character. The only thing it's missing is fantasy (which a case could be made for) and animation. I highly doubt there is any other single movie which contains that many major cinematic themes while also being extremely enjoyable to watch.
As for foreign movies check out City of God from Brazil. A bit violent but an amazing movie nonetheless.
-
It's certainly my favorite trilogy of all time as star wars is cheeseball and lotr is just boring
-
Boogie Nights is a masterful ensemble piece with a director at the top of his game. The soundtrack is unbelievable and it is the BEST film about the 1970s period. The cast itself is a spectacle.
I guess I love Tarantino because hes consistently new and abundant in his characters, if anyone here has seen Django, you can see Quentin still has a great eye for lighting and dialogue. Anyone who doesnt like him IMO just hates the dialogue and gets bored by it, which I can see, Pulp Fiction may not be the most technically stunning film, but I love everything about it, and think its perfect besides Butch's girlfriends scene.
No one here has seen Inglorious Bastards? Amazing film. Amazing acting, amazing writing.
Jackie Brown? Alot of ppl say this is his best and most underrated. Give this one a try cuz its his least violent and more subdued.
Death Proof? This is meant to be a bad cheesy movie, but it excels at it. Tarantino is a movie nerd who indulges in the excess that cinema can offer.
Reservoir Dogs, for the budget, is an amazing accomplishment. Has done wonders for the crime genre.
Kill Bill 1 and 2 are great. Good action thrillers that still contain fun comedy and blood splattering. Roger Ebert called the 2nd one "one of the best sequels ever made"
Django is fantastic. Just bloody great.
I can see why people dont like his films, but if your a lover of cinema, i dont see how you couldnt at least respect him for what hes done to film history. He changed the way film violence could be represented and staged. I love him for that.
Boogie Nights isn't horrible but when you start talking about the greatest movies of all times it isn't in the discussion.
Boogie Nights isn't horrible but when you start talking about the greatest movies of all times it isn't in the discussion.
I believe with time (it already has helped) Boogie Nights will get more love. I think its craft is just unmatched. I like style with a director and PTA has insane style. The opening shot of the film shows every single character in one take. Its stuff like that i love about it
-
The dollars trilogy is a run for the money but toy story is better.
-
Top 5 in no particular order
The Godfather
Schindler's List
The Wizard of Oz
Star Wars
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
-
Yea gotta love wizard of oz, first movie that made me love movies
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login