Skip to content

Jadeveon Clowney ticketed going 110 mph

The Browns Board
49 20 1.9k
  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    if he is double and triple teamed in the NFL or hell even right now, he's doing more for your D than if he gets 15 sacks.

    Not so much for South Carolina, as the rest of their defensive line could get blocked by a sawhorse and some caution tape.

    In the NFL, he may get to the level where he'll command double teams regularly, and that would free up another rusher, but that is an if. He'll no doubt be sporadically double teamed but taking a guy in the top ten just to be a blocking dummy isn't a high value pick. Especially when you have four capable OLB's on your roster.

    I understand the value of commanding that much attention, but it's just not the right direction for the Browns at the moment.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Not so much for South Carolina, as the rest of their defensive line could get blocked by a sawhorse and some caution tape.

    In the NFL, he may get to the level where he'll command double teams regularly, and that would free up another rusher, but that is an if. He'll no doubt be sporadically double teamed but taking a guy in the top ten just to be a blocking dummy isn't a high value pick. Especially when you have four capable OLB's on your roster.

    I understand the value of commanding that much attention, but it's just not the right direction for the Browns at the moment.

    If he's there, you take him simply because he's the BPA and its not even close. He could play both DE and OLB given the situation. He would be a HUGE upgrade over Kruger immediately. And him being on the field is making it tons easier on the guys playing opposite him, not his fault they aren't capitalizing. Good thing about Krugers contract os we can dump him after year 2 or so for almost nothing.
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Here's my take. I'd love to have him. Its always cool to have the potential best player at his position in the league. Also probably any of the quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds are going to shake out equally, at least no one is less of a crapshoot then the rest. That being said I don't think we are desperate to replace Paul Kruger. He's a serviceable player as it is.

    So back to the age old question, draft for best player available or draft for need.

    WSS

  • Here's my take. I'd love to have him. Its always cool to have the potential best player at his position in the league. Also probably any of the quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds are going to shake out equally, at least no one is less of a crapshoot then the rest. That being said I don't think we are desperate to replace Paul Kruger. He's a serviceable player as it is.

    So back to the age old question, draft for best player available or draft for need.

    WSS

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @westside-steve said:

    Here's my take. I'd love to have him. Its always cool to have the potential best player at his position in the league. Also probably any of the quarterbacks in the first 3 rounds are going to shake out equally, at least no one is less of a crapshoot then the rest. That being said I don't think we are desperate to replace Paul Kruger. He's a serviceable player as it is.

    So back to the age old question, draft for best player available or draft for need.

    WSS

    I definitely wasn't dogging Kruger but he's definitely not worth his contract. But Clowney is a once in a generation talent that shouldn't be passed up if given the opportunity to draft him. Hed come at half the price of Kruger and be here a minimum of 5 years. As for the age old question....Its a combination of the two. If the guy is the BPA by a wide margin u take him regardless of position and if its close u take the guy who's a need.
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Yes. I think we should always take that one in a million blue chip player if one is available regardless of need.

    WSS

  • Or Clowney may be another College DE that cannot stand up and play OLB in a 3-4. I think he'll be a stud at DE in a 3-4, but can't see him as a 3-down, 3-4 OLB. I feel we really should have at least one, 3-down OLB on our team.

    I'd rather have UCLA's Barr and it has nothing to do with a speeding ticket.

    My personal best behind the wheel was 117 MPH on an Interstate in Wyoming on the way to Jackson Hole circa 1971, but was shotgun in a '68 Vette "rolling" up I-71 at 130-something.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Tajh Boyd got pulled today for going 82 in a 60. Just proves that Boyd, even in a car, isn't as fast as Clowney.

    LOL...

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #38

    @tour2ma said:

    I think he'll be a stud at DE in a 3-4...

    Should have read "I think he'll be a stud in a 4-3."

    @westside-steve said:

    Yes. I think we should always take that one in a million blue chip player if one is available regardless of need.

    The one (and only) need you have to impose on your draft is that the players fit your scheme. If you think Clowney can adapt to the 3-4, fine.... but you'd better be sure.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I think he'll be a stud at DE in a 3-4...

    Should have read "I think he'll be a stud in a 4-3."

    @westside-steve said:

    Yes. I think we should always take that one in a million blue chip player if one is available regardless of need.

    The one (and only) need you have to impose on your draft is that the players fit your scheme. If you think Clowney can adapt to the 3-4, fine.... but you'd better be sure.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @tour2ma said:

    Should have read "I think he'll be a stud in a 4-3."

    The one (and only) need you have to impose on your draft is that the players fit your scheme. If you think Clowney can adapt to the 3-4, fine.... but you'd better be sure.

    That makes a great deal of sense, I hadn't really thought of it. No point in buying the best wood saw in the world if you want to cut sheet metal.

    WSS

  • L Lambert_58 wrote on last edited by
    #40
  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Someone who doesn't like authority obviously.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #42

    He's still going top 2..either to the Texans or Redskins.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #43
  • He's still going top 2..either to the Texans or Redskins.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @clevfan4life said:

    He's still going top 2..either to the Texans or Redskins.

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    He's still going top 2..either to the Texans or Redskins.

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @erie-dawg said:

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

    Clowney and Quinn together? That would be scary.

    Like Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen!

    fearsome_foursome.jpg

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #46

    Yeah no doubt. I think it was an ESPN article from shefter that talked about the players they have put together from that trade. Good core of guys, just glad that it was the redskins and not us.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

    Clowney and Quinn together? That would be scary.

    Like Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen!

    fearsome_foursome.jpg

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Zombo said:

    Clowney and Quinn together? That would be scary.

    Like Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen!

    fearsome_foursome.jpg

    You forgot Chris Long, Howie's kid.

    And like this group:

    10990.jpg

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #48

    RandyWhite-BobLilly-16x20-01.jpgAnd these guys

  • @clevfan4life said:

    He's still going top 2..either to the Texans or Redskins.

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @erie-dawg said:

    I think you mean the rams?

    redskins dont have a 1st rounder this year.

    oh shit that's right I forgot. Durp. Hmmm, what needs do the Rams have? They're probably sticking with Bradford so no QB for them....yeah they could very well pick Clowney.