Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Exciting Browns Players...?

Exciting Browns Players...?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
8 Posts 7 Posters 718 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • thenew23 thenew23T
    • 2k Posts
    • 233 Reputation
    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    So, as the season winds down I, probably like many of you, have always thought about how bad our team is and focus my attention the last couple games on where the holes that need filled are. Anybody with me? It usually feels like a never-ending, uphill, impossible journey... but...

    This year feels a little different... As I watch these last couple games, I can't help but wonder how good our team may be... And begin to think about the what if's?...(insert "thinking man" pose here)

    I usually make a list (because I am a football nerd) of the Browns players who I am excited about seeing more of next season, and I have to admit in past years it was a really short list. This year is different, so I thought I would post it... Here is my list, with my reasons for wanting to see more of each player:

    Offense (I know, it's amazing I have to split it by offense and defense)

    Joe Thomas OL (above all else, he's our claim to fame)

    Josh Gordon WR (Wow)

    Jordan Cameron TE (Finally becoming who they thought he was when he was drafted)

    Dion Lewis RB (missed him this year)

    Brian Hoyer QB (Hope he gets well and gets a shot in camp)

    Jason Campbell QB (Why not bring him back?)

    MarQueis Grey TE (Seems to be able to contribute more, kind of a dark horse)

    Jason Pinkston OL (great player, will he stay healthy?)

    Michell Schwartz OL (he's been spotty, but will he improve?)

    Travis Benjamin WR (explosive, missed him since injury)

    Garrett Gilkey OL (can he move into a starter role)

    Chris Faulk OL (a lot of hype for a UDFA, but he is supposed to be pretty good)

    Alex Mack OL (I hope he comes back)

    ^^^ Wow that's a full starting lineup, that's never happened ^^^

    Notice the lack of receivers on that list... (shaking my head now)

    Defense

    Joe Haden DB (one of the best, I hope he becomes even more consistent next year)

    Phil Taylor DL (one of my favorite)

    Desmond Bryant DL (continue to build on a good 1st year in this system)

    Ahtyba Rubin DL (consistent)

    Buster Skrine DB (most improved player award??)

    Barkevious Mingo LB (man, he's looked good and bad at times. I can see the potential ready to explode)

    Paul Kruger LB (should keep getting better in the system)

    DQJ LB (our rock)

    Armonty Bryant DL (hopefully he can stay out of trouble)

    Billy Winn DL (great depth guy)

    John Hughes DL (too many d-linemen? never a problem)

    Jabaal Sheard LB (will he keep adjusting to the position and become a playmaker?)

    Leon McFadden CB (does he have what it takes?)

    Tashaun Gipson DB (will he get replaced over the offseason? if not, he'll at least have to fight for his job)

    Craig Robertson LB (same as Gipson, he'll be fighting to keep his starting role, but should be fun to watch)

    Jordan Poyer DB (what else can this kid do?)

    Josh Aubrey DB (another impressive youngster to keep an eye on)

    Justin Staples DL (will he be able to make this team stacked in d-line talent? Can he at least become trade bait?)

    Jamoris Slaughter DB (has he improved, and become healthy enough to make the top 53?)

    Quentin Groves LB (looked good when he played)

    T.J. Ward DB (please come back, you're having a good season and we don't want to search for a SS this offseason)

    Special Teams

    Brandon Bogotay K (I hope he's good enough to replace Cundiff, but if not, it's just a kicker, right?)

    So there it is folks... 35 players I am ACTUALLY excited to see return next year. I hope they all do, and I hope they improve over the offseason. Typically, I make a list near 20-25 but this young group is certainly different... which has me optimistic about watching these last 3 games... at least I'm watching some talented players. That list above looks like a core... add some explosion and you have yourself a football team...

    Average age of the guys on this list, right now- 24.97 years

    Just sayin'

    #Justsayin'
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 2k Posts
      • 114 Reputation
      Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I agree whole heartedly...While the end result will be the same as the past there is someting noticabley different about this group. Its actually been a fun season for the Browns despite their record. A lot to be excited about for the next few years.

      1 Reply Last reply
      👍
      Quote Reply
      • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

        thenew23T Browns149B 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • The GipperT The Gipper

          Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

          thenew23 thenew23T
          • 2k Posts
          • 233 Reputation
          thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @the-gipper said:

          Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

          Right? I couldn't put him on my list b/c I am not really excited about him coming back. It seems like he's never open, and he is just too inconsistent... I'd love to see his role change b/c I don't think he is an outside receiver. He needs to be in the slot, or some type of hybrid TE/WR. He needs less overall targets, and more focus on catching short passes in space. 35 catches on 85 targets is not good. Cameron has had 20 more targets (105) and has made more than double the catches (72). The production drop off after Gordon and Cameron is ridiculous which is why we need to infuse at least one player who is a legit outside #2 to take pressure off our only 2 weapons... I think we've seen enough of Little to say he's not that guy, but he CAN be a valuable player if used properly (7 catches 122 yds vs. BAL this year)...

          #Justsayin'
          bbedwardB 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • thenew23T thenew23

            @the-gipper said:

            Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

            Right? I couldn't put him on my list b/c I am not really excited about him coming back. It seems like he's never open, and he is just too inconsistent... I'd love to see his role change b/c I don't think he is an outside receiver. He needs to be in the slot, or some type of hybrid TE/WR. He needs less overall targets, and more focus on catching short passes in space. 35 catches on 85 targets is not good. Cameron has had 20 more targets (105) and has made more than double the catches (72). The production drop off after Gordon and Cameron is ridiculous which is why we need to infuse at least one player who is a legit outside #2 to take pressure off our only 2 weapons... I think we've seen enough of Little to say he's not that guy, but he CAN be a valuable player if used properly (7 catches 122 yds vs. BAL this year)...

            bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 9k Posts
            • 1k Reputation
            bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @thenew23 said:

            Right? I couldn't put him on my list b/c I am not really excited about him coming back. It seems like he's never open, and he is just too inconsistent... I'd love to see his role change b/c I don't think he is an outside receiver. He needs to be in the slot, or some type of hybrid TE/WR. He needs less overall targets, and more focus on catching short passes in space. 35 catches on 85 targets is not good. Cameron has had 20 more targets (105) and has made more than double the catches (72). The production drop off after Gordon and Cameron is ridiculous which is why we need to infuse at least one player who is a legit outside #2 to take pressure off our only 2 weapons... I think we've seen enough of Little to say he's not that guy, but he CAN be a valuable player if used properly (7 catches 122 yds vs. BAL this year)...

            I almost feel like he just doesn't give a full effort when running routes every down.

            He also does drop the ball still.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • letsgojackets letsgojacketsL
              • 800 Posts
              • 31 Reputation
              letsgojacketsL letsgojackets wrote on last edited by
              #6

              No love for Greco? 🙁

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • The GipperT The Gipper

                Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

                Browns149 Browns149B Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 10k Posts
                • 2k Reputation
                Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @the-gipper said:

                Greg Little....can he do better with a better QB?

                NO

                "And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve."
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                  • 30k Posts
                  • 6k Reputation
                  Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
                  #8

                  Agree that we appear to be turning a corner, but as for exciting players... feel I can count them on one hand.

                  Gordon...

                  Jordon...

                  Mingo...

                  Haden...

                  That's it... O-linemen just aren't exciting, no matter how good they are. D-linemen can be exciting and were I forced to choose one on our roster, it'd come down to between Taylor and Wynn... I love Billy.

                  There are a lot of players I am curious about that are on your list (Hoyer, Lewis, etc.)... and a couple who are not...

                  • Bess - was 2013 just a one-off, bad season?
                  • Skrine - can he build on a solid 2013 campaign and be even better in 2014?
                  "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply

                  Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                  Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                  With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                  Register Login
                  Reply
                  • Reply as topic
                  Log in to reply
                  • Oldest to Newest
                  • Newest to Oldest
                  • Most Votes


                  Theme
                  • System
                  • Light
                  • Dark
                  The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                  The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                  • First post
                    Last post
                  0
                  • Forums
                  • Recent
                  • Popular
                  • Users
                  • Donate