Baker
-
It was nice seeing this kid play today. Nice speed. Hope we keep him next year. With him along with Lewis, Fozzy, OBi could be interesting how we do next year with these guys. I would not mind having a run by committee.
It was nice seeing this kid play today. Nice speed. Hope we keep him next year. With him along with Lewis, Fozzy, OBi could be interesting how we do next year with these guys. I would not mind having a run by committee.
WIth those 4 guys, they will need a committee. 3 of them are small and 1 or more of them will get hurt
-
We better not have just these 4 or we are in trouble
-
We better not have just these 4 or we are in trouble
We better not have just these 4 or we are in trouble

-
We better not have just these 4 or we are in trouble
We better not have just these 4 or we are in trouble
Finally we agree on something
-
we still have Willis and Hardy so a total of 6. We need a big back. Grey can fill that role
-
Baker is very physical, despite being on the smaller side. I like his potential
-
I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.
Zombo
Zombo said:
I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.
Zombo
sounds about right for the Browns
-
Baker is very physical, despite being on the smaller side. I like his potential
Baker is very physical, despite being on the smaller side. I like his potential
Love the way he was finishing runs.
Nothing wrong with a RB by Committee approach.
-
I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.
Zombo
Zombo said:
I'm glad we are working out Preseason Week 2 while other teams are working out Regular season week 14.
Zombo
Certainly this game and the next two are merely exhibition games. All we are doing at this point is trying to find out who should be kept next season.
The Jets ain't making the playoffs, neither are the Steelers.
None of those games mean anything in regard to the playoffs....we are just playing out the string....and seeing who mans up.
-
BEREA, Ohio â The enticing aromas of Buena Vista fried chicken filled the Brownsâ locker room on Monday.
Some players sampled the Greek-style bird and macaroni and cheese supplied by the Warren restaurant, but running back Edwin Baker resisted temptation.
Eating healthy, he said, is among the traits heâs acquired from veterans during his stops in San Diego, Denver and Houston the past two years.
âOlder guys say I act like an older vet 'cause of the things I do,â Baker said. âI just follow what the vets do, guys that have been in the league for a very long time.â
On Sunday, Baker finally got to follow something other than advice, like lead blocks. The Michigan State product made his NFL regular-season debut, rushing for 38 yards on eight carries, including a 2-yard touchdown in a 38-31 loss to the Chicago Bears. He also added four catches for 46 yards as Baker helped replace Willis McGahee (concussion).
It was a limited sample size against the leagueâs worst run defense, but coach Rob Chudzinski sounded as if Baker would get another chance against the New York Jets regardless of McGaheeâs status.
âHe earned a lot of respect and he earned my respect and he made good on his opportunity,â the coach said.
Plucked from the Texans practice squad, the 5-foot-8, 210-pound back looked quick and decisive. Baker still runs on the advice imparted by his father years ago: Find the crease, show no hesitation and no dancing in the hole.
Browns fans, enduring their seventh straight season of double-digit losses, are accustomed to watching the Edwin Bakers of the world every December as they count down the weeks until the NFL Draft.
For one snowy afternoon, anyway, the game didnât look too rich for him.
"I'm a guy that, I like the spotlight,â Baker said. âI like to put things on my shoulders because I was always the one to uplift the team. I just want to play my part, play my role and help this team get the win.
âIn the back of your head, you wonder, 'Man, can I really do this?' But by having a game like that and really showcasing my talent and proving to myself that I belong, it's just uplifting.â
The Brownsâ running attack has been a disappointment. Baker's 2-yard TD marked the club's third rushing touchdown of the season. Meanwhile, the Bears reminded everyone about the importance of running late in the year in blustery conditions. Matt Forte amassed 127 yards as the Browns yielded a season-high 179 yards on 31 attempts.
Cleveland ran just 17 times, despite a productive 5.5-yard average. When asked about the disparityâ quarterback Jason Campbell threw 39 times -- Chudzinski pointed to the âlimited amountâ of first-half plays (23) and the lack of offensive rhythm.
Baker had four carries, including a 15-yard run, before intermission.
âHe was able to make some good runs, he looked explosive out there and had some juice,â Chudzinski said.
Baker believes a reunion with offensive coordinator Norv Turner, who coached the Chargers when they selected him in the seventh round a year ago, will prove beneficial. Heâs familiar with the terminology and concepts.
The last two games likely will determine whether Baker returns to Berea in the spring. He gets a crack at the leagueâs third-ranked run defense Sunday in New York, although Browns fans know how deceptive those defensive stats can be.
Baker is just grateful for his chance.
âThat's what I was doing, praying and knowing I belonged,â he said. âI know how good I am and I know what kind of talent I have. I was just waiting for my moment."
Baker will enjoy his off day Tuesday. Presumably, with no fried chicken.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/running_back_edwin_baker_earns.html
-
I've been resisting overreaction, but Baker did indeed look VERY decisive in his runs. I saw holes you don't see for Richardson or Moses McGahee. I think we have some interesting competition to go with Dion Lewis and a high-ish draft pick (Hyde, for instance). Wouldn't surprise me if Baker earns his way into the mix.
-
Then what about the remainder of the backs? at this point who would you keep and move forward on next years roster?
-
I haven't seen much from Fozzy to get too excited about.
Edwards - could run a WildDawg, perhaps, but then Gray has shown himself capable of doing that as well.
McGahee - brought in for a season as a stop gap. We all said, if he runs for 1k then sure, keep him. He hasn't. Buh-bye.
Ogbonnaya - if he can hang on to the football he's currently our best back. He's actually listed as FB on the roster - he'll be staying.
Lewis - I think most people are excited to see if what he showed in pre-season can translate to the regular season. It might, it might not.
If there are no new recruits, I reckon next year our stable will look something like:
FB - Ogbonnaya
RB - Lewis
RB/TE - Gray
RB - Baker
That's a bit underwhelming. I can't see us not adding a FA or draft pick. Maybe then it'll be:
FB - Ogbonnaya
RB1 - Tate/Hyde
RB2 - Lewis
RB3 - Baker
-
He comes from the Texans (losers of 10 straight games) practice squad. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Browns prolly picked him up for next to nothing. He lasted one year
with the Bolts where he had a grand total of zero carries and was signed by the Broncos as practice squad fodder. Looks to me like a preseason eval conducted in week sixteen of
the fucking regular season, as Zombo pointed out. His signing exemplifies a non existent Browns running game that has put up a dismal 1200 total rushing yards and scored a
head shaking 3 td's in 14 games. Jamaal Charles equaled the Browns rushing td total in one half of one game. I ain't holding my breath for this seventh round pick who has been with
four teams in less that 2 seasons to be a factor in a much needed running game resurgence. jfs
-
To be fair, it's probably hard for a RB to crack the texans roster, with Foster and Tate on there. But no, not holding my breath, but he wasn't awful. That's an upgrade as far as our run game is concerned. That being said, this weekend the Jets have a very different defence to the bears, so we'll see if he can do anything against a something resembling an NFL defence.
-
Considering he has contributed 33% of the total rushing td output in his first game, you could consider him an upgrade.
-
None of them are very interesting, Chud and Norv are going to have to go back to the drawing board on this whole running game thing and there are things they might want to discuss with the personnel department too, subjects up for discussion could include: why they have a line that can't run block, why they don't have a fullback, why they have no talent at running back and how all those pass attempts got three QBs injured and just four wins.
Zombo
-
He comes from the Texans (losers of 10 straight games) practice squad. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Browns prolly picked him up for next to nothing. He lasted one year
with the Bolts where he had a grand total of zero carries and was signed by the Broncos as practice squad fodder. Looks to me like a preseason eval conducted in week sixteen of
the fucking regular season, as Zombo pointed out. His signing exemplifies a non existent Browns running game that has put up a dismal 1200 total rushing yards and scored a
head shaking 3 td's in 14 games. Jamaal Charles equaled the Browns rushing td total in one half of one game. I ain't holding my breath for this seventh round pick who has been with
four teams in less that 2 seasons to be a factor in a much needed running game resurgence. jfs
Interesting little tidbit on Edwin's healthy eating habits...
Baker had a decent college career at Mich St.
CAREER NOTES: Three-year letterwinner finished his Spartan career with 2,293 rushing yards on 462 carries (5.0 avg.; 65.5 ypg.) . . . played in 35 games, including 21 starts . . . rushed for 19 career touchdowns . . . had six career 100-yard rushing games
At the 2012 combine he ran a 4.44 and did 20 benchpress reps. Shuttle and 3-cone were so-so. Weight at the time was 204.
He comes from the Texans (losers of 10 straight games) practice squad. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. Browns prolly picked him up for next to nothing. He lasted one year with the Bolts where he had a grand total of zero carries and was signed by the Broncos as practice squad fodder.
... and we cut Rainey... Sometimes players find a fit down the road a ways.
Zombo said:
None of them are very interesting, Chud and Norv are going to have to go back to the drawing board on this whole running game thing and there are things they might want to discuss with the personnel department too, subjects up for discussion could include: why they have a line that can't run block, why they don't have a fullback, why they have no talent at running back and how all those pass attempts got three QBs injured and just four wins.
That's a lot of questions... I'd settle for a line that can run block.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đ
Register Login