Skip to content

Browns waive Owens and Edwards

The Browns Board
47 17 1.7k
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Right, but you're assuming I said take a guy solely because he's from the SEC, which I did not.

    I simply said that, if there's two guys of equal value at the same position, conference would be my tiebreaker.

    As for your Shazier/ Mosley example, I would take Mosley in a heartbeat. Mosley is the pass covering ILB we're lacking, he's a multi-year starter from one of the best teams in the nation, and he has the production you like to see.

    If it were between Shazier/Johnson, however, I would take Shazier as he's the better player with higher upside.

    If it were a wash, and there were two players with similar skill sets, similar production, and similar size, I would take the SEC guy because they've shown they are able to come in and produce right off the bat.

    As my Pro Bowl analysis shows, the SEC may ever so slightly produce a few more defensive players than other leagues.

    As for the Mosley/Shazier example....I am not familiar enough with Mosley to know if he may be better. I just know that I would advocate evaluting the player....and not the conference he played in.

    I mean, as noted the SEC has produced its share of drek certainly. I mean WTF, it seems that the Browns (and everyone else) evaluation Trent Richardson so high simply because of the team and conference he played in.

    So, to me, choosing that guy just because he went to that school/conferece was a major mistake.

    I mean, Doug Martin was underevaluated because he went to Boise St.

    Yet, who has turned out to be the better player?

    @the-gipper said:

    As my Pro Bowl analysis shows, the SEC may ever so slightly produce a few more defensive players than other leagues.

    As for the Mosley/Shazier example....I am not familiar enough with Mosley to know if he may be better. I just know that I would advocate evaluting the player....and not the conference he played in.

    I mean, as noted the SEC has produced its share of drek certainly. I mean WTF, it seems that the Browns (and everyone else) evaluation Trent Richardson so high simply because of the team and conference he played in.

    So, to me, choosing that guy just because he went to that school/conferece was a major mistake.

    I mean, Doug Martin was underevaluated because he went to Boise St.

    Yet, who has turned out to be the better player?

    Well, I don't think Trent was taken solely because of his conference affiliation. It was probably more to do with the fact that he was a physical freak and seemed to be akin to AP, from a production standpoint as well as a physical standpoint. He could have played for any team, in any conference, and those comparisons to AP would have been made. Richardson, while being a mediocre NFL runningback, is still one of the most physically talented players in the league. He just has no ballcarrier vision and is a higher injury risk. For the record, I was adamantly against Richardson in the draft.

    As for your example, Martin and Richardson weren't even close to being graded the same and that had less to do with conference as it did with scheme, so that example is not fitting. People didn't disregard Boise players because of conference (well, they did) as much as they did because of their offensive system. And it's so far worked out, as Martin is really the only Boise State skill player to make an impact. Further, Martin has lucked into a great running team, the Buccaneers have seen solid production from different runningbacks, including our former mediocre player Bobby Rainey.

    I am familiar enough with both Shazier and Mosley to make the judgment that Mosley will be a better NFL linebacker, depending on the situation he's placed into. If we were to take both Shazier and Mosley, Mosley would most likely be the stronger player.

    Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

  • Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    So...if you are selecting someone because of conference affiliation....you are giving that person extra bonus evaluation points for being from that conference.

  • Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    So...if you are selecting someone because of conference affiliation....you are giving that person extra bonus evaluation points for being from that conference.

    @the-gipper said:

    Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    So...if you are selecting someone because of conference affiliation....you are giving that person extra bonus evaluation points for being from that conference.

    Quality of competition is definitely a factor when watching film. Thats why so much is on the line for those small school hopefuls when playing the big boys.
  • Here is something also to consider:

    1. Miami, FL-45

    2. LSU-44

    T3. Texas, Ohio State-42

    5. USC-39 - See more at: http://www.holyturf.com/2011/04/nfl-players-conference-affiliation/#sthash.uhkpItbQ.dpuf

    So, 4 of the 5 schools most prolific in providing the NFL with players are not SEC.

    Maybe, all things being equal, you may want to look at the school, rather than just the conference.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    So...if you are selecting someone because of conference affiliation....you are giving that person extra bonus evaluation points for being from that conference.

    Quality of competition is definitely a factor when watching film. Thats why so much is on the line for those small school hopefuls when playing the big boys.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Quality of competition is definitely a factor when watching film. Thats why so much is on the line for those small school hopefuls when playing the big boys.

    You know what a lot of scouts/coaches put faith in: Senior Bowl performance (in practice for that game even more so than the game itself)

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Quality of competition is definitely a factor when watching film. Thats why so much is on the line for those small school hopefuls when playing the big boys.

    You know what a lot of scouts/coaches put faith in: Senior Bowl performance (in practice for that game even more so than the game itself)

    @the-gipper said:

    You know what a lot of scouts/coaches put faith in: Senior Bowl performance (in practice for that game even more so than the game itself)

    For sure. Imagine if we could get the underclassmen who are declaring in those all star games, or have a combine game. Always nice when you can matchup the best available guys and see who wins those individual battles for a few days.
  • Once again, in a tie between players, the SEC player gets benefit of the doubt.

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    So...if you are selecting someone because of conference affiliation....you are giving that person extra bonus evaluation points for being from that conference.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, here is my point.....I do not believe there can ever be a tie.

    No ties? In an inexact effort like player evaluation... no ties?

    I'd be shocked if there was a single NFL board that did not have at least one tie... especially when you get to the second and third days.