Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Ben Tate

Ben Tate

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
26 Posts 15 Posters 1.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 8k Posts
    • 1k Reputation
    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #1

    @NFL_ATL: Browns are "one of several teams" who would be interested in RB Ben Tate, who is likely done in Houston, @RapSheet said on @nflnetwork

    I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
    nickersN 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out

      @NFL_ATL: Browns are "one of several teams" who would be interested in RB Ben Tate, who is likely done in Houston, @RapSheet said on @nflnetwork

      nickers nickersN Conversation Starter Dedicated Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 14k Posts
      • 5k Reputation
      nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

      @NFL_ATL: Browns are "one of several teams" who would be interested in RB Ben Tate, who is likely done in Houston, @RapSheet said on @nflnetwork

      Thats old news..

      Nickers...."There are no old running QB's in the NFL "~Sam Rutigliano~
      Tim Couch Pulls OutT 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Osiris OsirisO Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 2k Posts
        • 125 Reputation
        OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Honestly with the short shelf life of RBs I'd rather they address this position in the draft, and look at free agency for OL, WR, and CB.

        "I said, 'I need someone who's going to want to get on the roller coaster with me knowing that it's not always going to be fun,'" -Paul DePodesta
        Canton MikeC 1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • nickersN nickers

          @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

          @NFL_ATL: Browns are "one of several teams" who would be interested in RB Ben Tate, who is likely done in Houston, @RapSheet said on @nflnetwork

          Thats old news..

          Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 8k Posts
          • 1k Reputation
          Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @nickers said:

          Thats old news..

          The speculation was, this is the confirmation.

          I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • OsirisO Osiris

            Honestly with the short shelf life of RBs I'd rather they address this position in the draft, and look at free agency for OL, WR, and CB.

            Canton Mike Canton MikeC
            • 4k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @osiris said:

            Honestly with the short shelf life of RBs I'd rather they address this position in the draft, and look at free agency for OL, WR, and CB.

            I agree with this. Good RBs tend to perform well from year 1, so why pay bigger bucks for a somewhat "shop worn" free agent? With the rookie pay scale, they can both save money & get a back with more tread left on the tires.

            Mike

            IN DORSEY I TRUST
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
              • 24k Posts
              • 1k Reputation
              C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @mike-h said:

              However, given how insignificant the running game is to this regime, I'd be confused if it happened.

              With Trent gone and Lewis hurt, I don't blame them. Also we shouldn't be asking our o line to do much multi tasking, even though it's routine throughout the league. If we addressed the O line in the draft and/or FA, as well as an offseason acquisition of a RB either in the draft or FA...than I think they would make it more of a priority. Right now it's just kitchen sink we're throwing back there.

              That being said, if possible we should wait till after the draft before we make a FA decision. If we were to get Carlos Hyde, for example, we shouldn't spend money on Tate because we'll have Lewis and Hyde next year. Only if we can't get a decent RB in the draft should we concentrate on FA in that position.

              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 8k Posts
                • 1k Reputation
                Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @mike-h said:

                You sure about that Skippy?

                http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9708082&src=desktop

                Oh.

                Well, I was wrong.

                I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • C Clevfan4life

                  @mike-h said:

                  However, given how insignificant the running game is to this regime, I'd be confused if it happened.

                  With Trent gone and Lewis hurt, I don't blame them. Also we shouldn't be asking our o line to do much multi tasking, even though it's routine throughout the league. If we addressed the O line in the draft and/or FA, as well as an offseason acquisition of a RB either in the draft or FA...than I think they would make it more of a priority. Right now it's just kitchen sink we're throwing back there.

                  That being said, if possible we should wait till after the draft before we make a FA decision. If we were to get Carlos Hyde, for example, we shouldn't spend money on Tate because we'll have Lewis and Hyde next year. Only if we can't get a decent RB in the draft should we concentrate on FA in that position.

                  The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                  • 57k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @clevfan4life said:

                  With Trent gone and Lewis hurt, I don't blame them. Also we shouldn't be asking our o line to do much multi tasking, even though it's routine throughout the league. If we addressed the O line in the draft and/or FA, as well as an offseason acquisition of a RB either in the draft or FA...than I think they would make it more of a priority. Right now it's just kitchen sink we're throwing back there.

                  That being said, if possible we should wait till after the draft before we make a FA decision. If we were to get Carlos Hyde, for example, we shouldn't spend money on Tate because we'll have Lewis and Hyde next year. Only if we can't get a decent RB in the draft should we concentrate on FA in that position.

                  You cannot wait until after the draft. The system doesn't work that way. They have now even pushed the draft back a couple of weeks into May, where the FA period starts like March 15 or something. So, no, you have to pick up your FAs....then fill the holes with the draft that you didn't fill in FA.

                  OsirisO 1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                    @clevfan4life said:

                    With Trent gone and Lewis hurt, I don't blame them. Also we shouldn't be asking our o line to do much multi tasking, even though it's routine throughout the league. If we addressed the O line in the draft and/or FA, as well as an offseason acquisition of a RB either in the draft or FA...than I think they would make it more of a priority. Right now it's just kitchen sink we're throwing back there.

                    That being said, if possible we should wait till after the draft before we make a FA decision. If we were to get Carlos Hyde, for example, we shouldn't spend money on Tate because we'll have Lewis and Hyde next year. Only if we can't get a decent RB in the draft should we concentrate on FA in that position.

                    You cannot wait until after the draft. The system doesn't work that way. They have now even pushed the draft back a couple of weeks into May, where the FA period starts like March 15 or something. So, no, you have to pick up your FAs....then fill the holes with the draft that you didn't fill in FA.

                    Osiris OsirisO Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 2k Posts
                    • 125 Reputation
                    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @the-gipper said:

                    You cannot wait until after the draft. The system doesn't work that way. They have now even pushed the draft back a couple of weeks into May, where the FA period starts like March 15 or something. So, no, you have to pick up your FAs....then fill the holes with the draft that you didn't fill in FA.

                    That's exactly it. I think you then evaluate the talent pool in the draft, and let that inform your free agent pursuits. If the draft looks weak for a particular position that you need, then I think you have to be more aggressive in free agency to fill that need.

                    I wouldn't mind the Ben Tate signing, I agree he probably has a lot of runs left in him, I just think they could get someone with fresher legs from the third round of the draft.

                    "I said, 'I need someone who's going to want to get on the roller coaster with me knowing that it's not always going to be fun,'" -Paul DePodesta
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • utzie U
                      • 231 Posts
                      • 7 Reputation
                      U utzie wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited about picking up Tate unless it was really cheap.

                      Yes, he runs hard and can make plays when he is on the field, but he's injured way too often. He was actually just shut down for the season today after having rib and other injury problems all year. Reminds me a little too much of the Hardesty situation. I think we can find better backs out there, whether it be in FA or in the draft.

                      The GipperT Tour2maT 2 Replies Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • U utzie

                        Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited about picking up Tate unless it was really cheap.

                        Yes, he runs hard and can make plays when he is on the field, but he's injured way too often. He was actually just shut down for the season today after having rib and other injury problems all year. Reminds me a little too much of the Hardesty situation. I think we can find better backs out there, whether it be in FA or in the draft.

                        The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                        • 57k Posts
                        • 4k Reputation
                        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @utzie said:

                        Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited about picking up Tate unless it was really cheap.

                        Yes, he runs hard and can make plays when he is on the field, but he's injured way too often. He was actually just shut down for the season today after having rib and other injury problems all year. Reminds me a little too much of the Hardesty situation. I think we can find better backs out there, whether it be in FA or in the draft.

                        Yea, at best he would be a replacement for Willis McGahee. A third string back. Get a good rookie....they can be had. A Giovanni Bernard type.....if you can't get they Hyde's or the Williams.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 8k Posts
                          • 1k Reputation
                          Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/posts/232608/is_ben_tate_in_line.html

                          I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                            • 24k Posts
                            • 1k Reputation
                            C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            whehter we pick up Tate or not we still need two other positions in the backfield to address. A heavy lifter like Hyde and a "real" FB. I think the FB might be the most important of them all tbh. I want someone like Vickers back in Cleveland. Hyde running behind a diesel FB like Vickers was will be short yardage pain for any team. I get the issue that you have to make the move before the draft..but that sucks. If we get Hyde I see no reason for Tate because we have complimentary backs. Tate is that hybrid 220'ish workhorse back which we wouldn't need if we get Hyde. Hyde and Tate don't compliment each other as well as Hyde and some of the guys we actuall have on our roster right now. All predicated on that FB acquisition though. We don't get a real FB it doesn't matter.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • thenew23 thenew23T
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 233 Reputation
                              thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              No reason we can't sign Tate and draft a good rookie. Are we really that stacked in the backfield??? Having Lewis (injured), Hyde (rookie), and Tate (veteran) in the backfield sounds pretty good to me. Plus, who cares about money? We're well enough under the cap to get some offense happening over the offseason...

                              Ben Tate reminds me Michael Turner when he was in SD, he backed up a great running back his whole career until he finally got the chance in ATL and did great for a few years... I'd take it...

                              #Justsayin'
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • slowburn slowburnS
                                • 2k Posts
                                • 116 Reputation
                                slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
                                #15

                                Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                Z B Tim Couch Pulls OutT 3 Replies Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • slowburnS slowburn

                                  Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                  wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                  sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                  Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                  Zombo Z
                                  • 8k Posts
                                  • 0 Reputation
                                  Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @slowburn said:

                                  Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                  wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                  sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                  Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                  Can't disagree with anything you said.

                                  Z

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • slowburnS slowburn

                                    Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                    wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                    sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                    Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                    bringbackbrownie2 B
                                    • 1k Posts
                                    • 118 Reputation
                                    B bringbackbrownie2 wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @slowburn said:

                                    Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                    wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                    sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                    Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                    True. But one could argue that Ben Tate is just as hungry as any rookie we would draft. He has been a backup his whole career on a team with 1 playoff win. Hardly someone that has any reason take plays off. I would still draft a running back but am not opposed to signing Tate. I also see your point with Kruger, but still consider him a quality free agent acquisition considering Cleveland's annual 4-5 win seasons. All it takes is a couple good years and the free agents will gain some interest in the Browns. Truth of the matter is Kruger is better than what we had the last several years.

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • slowburnS slowburn

                                      Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                      wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                      sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                      Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                      Tim Couch Pulls Out Tim Couch Pulls OutT Very Popular Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 8k Posts
                                      • 1k Reputation
                                      Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @slowburn said:

                                      Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past. Factor in a FA player already

                                      wearing a championship ring and the number of plays they dog increases. i.e Kruger Reiteratively, Cleveland is not an attractive option for those FA's whose desire to win

                                      sooner than later no matter what the payoff is. Draft needs to be top priority for the Browns.

                                      Browns need to clean house of current RB's and rebuild from ground up.

                                      That's all true.

                                      However, Tate has been a backup his entire career and is hungry to prove he's starting caliber. He's proven to be talented, only to get passed over again. I wouldn't mind signing him and adding a mid round bruiser back in the 4th.

                                      Once again, Turner has 15 seasons of 1,000 yard rushers. He gets the most out of his backs. He hasn't gotten much of anything from this crop, save a strong showing from Baker. I say clean the closet, dump McGahee and Obi, get Tate, a bruising back, and see what Lewis can do and our backfield will be in much better shape.

                                      I'm awesome, and I fuck dolphins. Ghoolie 12/2/2012: I have absolutely no skills, training or pride
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • kc3902 K
                                        • 28 Posts
                                        • 0 Reputation
                                        K kc3902 wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Why do people want to drop Obi? He is averaging 4.9 ypc. Most would consider that more than solid for a backup RB. I'm not sold on Tate as a high-price FA, and would rather address RB in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft, but I think Obi is fine for what they are paying him.

                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • U utzie

                                          Honestly, I wouldn't be too excited about picking up Tate unless it was really cheap.

                                          Yes, he runs hard and can make plays when he is on the field, but he's injured way too often. He was actually just shut down for the season today after having rib and other injury problems all year. Reminds me a little too much of the Hardesty situation. I think we can find better backs out there, whether it be in FA or in the draft.

                                          Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                          • 30k Posts
                                          • 6k Reputation
                                          Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @mike-h said:

                                          Tate has plenty of tread left, he was mostly a secondary back his whole career. That said, if he can be had for a reasonable price I'd be fine with signing him. However, given how insignificant the running game is to this regime, I'd be confused if it happened.

                                          Yup... he's not exactly old. Only 25, but has a few miles due to Foster being injured two of Tate's three years in Houston. Only enhances his value, because he has shown he can carry a team's running load.

                                          @utzie said:

                                          Yes, he runs hard and can make plays when he is on the field, but he's injured way too often. He was actually just shut down for the season today after having rib and other injury problems all year. Reminds me a little too much of the Hardesty situation. I think we can find better backs out there, whether it be in FA or in the draft.

                                          Too often??? Compared to our collection of RBs he's Superman. 15 games his rookie year, 11 last year and 14 this year... and this year he broke 4 ribs in October and played every game between then and now... What a Pussy! (<--- sarcasm alert)

                                          He's a talented, hard runner. We'd be fortunate to sign him.

                                          @thenew23 said:

                                          No reason we can't sign Tate and draft a good rookie.... Ben Tate reminds me Michael Turner when he was in SD...

                                          Agree and a pretty good comparison there...

                                          @slowburn said:

                                          Rookies are hungrier than free agents. once these FA's get their money, some have a tendency to take off more plays than they have in the past.

                                          LOL... like no rook has ever taken the money and ran...

                                          Appears I may be in the minority here, but I think there are far more players that disappoint by pressing to perform under the weight of a big contract than put it in cruise.

                                          "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better đź’—

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate