Skip to content

Untouchable?

The Browns Board
29 12 1.6k
  • No. They shouldn't be. If they told chud to cut little and he didn't that's on him. If your boss told you to do something and you failed to do it, that's insubordination and that will get you fired.

  • Okay, so you and I can agree that insubordination is bad. But is a new coach responsible for going beyond just not blatantly disobeying the FO/ownership?

  • I don't think anyone is necessarily untouchable. Again...we lost a shitload of winnable games this year. That shows me that there's some talent on the team. 7 losses in a row and a team that clearly looked like they were getting worse as the year went on is not good for job security if you're the head coach.

  • 8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

  • 8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

    @thenew23 said:

    8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

    I agree with all of that. Although not sure how we played more road games than home games. 🙂

  • You can make a valid arguement with reasons to keep Chud but the harsh truth is he sucked.

    The 2012 Browns were a better team than the 2013 Browns, hard to believe huh?

  • Lol, all of the sudden everyone agrees with me. Come on, disagree-ers, I know you're out there. I saw where some of you said a HC should never be fired after just one year. Tell us how you think it should go.

  • You can make a valid arguement with reasons to keep Chud but the harsh truth is he sucked.

    The 2012 Browns were a better team than the 2013 Browns, hard to believe huh?

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    You can make a valid arguement with reasons to keep Chud but the harsh truth is he sucked.

    The 2012 Browns were a better team than the 2013 Browns, hard to believe huh?

    I agree, everybody saying chudley should get another year would only be compounding the first mistake of hiring him. In the real world you do not compound your mistakes you correct them. Haslem and Banner already admitted they made a mistake in hiring chudley. I was at every home game and I agree with them, it was a mistake.

  • No. They shouldn't be. If they told chud to cut little and he didn't that's on him. If your boss told you to do something and you failed to do it, that's insubordination and that will get you fired.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    No. They shouldn't be. If they told chud to cut little and he didn't that's on him. If your boss told you to do something and you failed to do it, that's insubordination and that will get you fired.

    Little got demoted and the #3 receiver that replaced him ended up being worse.

    If that is remotely true Lombardi should be fired for the 6th time.

  • I believe it cannot be as cut and dried as they do or don't get amnesty. If you take a first year coach and stick him in a "good situation" I would expect to see decent performance and improvement. If you send the same coach to a team that is full of rookies and offensively largely devoid of talent I would expect ups and downs. Further to that if that coach had to run the team for more than half the season with the 3rd string QB, practice squad running backs and one receiver worth a shit I would NOT expect to see improvement.

    On the offensive side of the ball we did practically nothing to improve the talent on this team in 2013. The "genius" trade for Bess was a total flop as he was apparently more involved in tweeting pics smoking weed as opposed to catching footballs. Regardless of how it's spun this team was all about assessing the existing offense in 2013 for better or worse and moving forward from there. They as much as said so in the preseason. When it became quickly apparent Weeden was a complete failure all expectations from the FO should have been tempered with reality. For a brief few games we got a glimpse of our potential with Hoyer at the helm. Sure it is a small data set but given good QB play we were dominant. The defense played their ass off because they were sparked by the offense. Those few games alone should have given Chud a year two to prove his system with the incredible influx of talent the 2014 draft SHOULD net us.

    Even with mostly sub par QB's we managed to have the league leading receiver in yardage even with a two game suspension. We ranked 11th in passing TD's and tied for 4th in passing TD's over 40 yards. Our rushing performance was just as abysmal as the talent carrying the ball. Overall though there were times at least of excitement in the passing game and glimmers of future hope any time Weeden wasn't on the field. The passing piece of the offense did show improvement over 2012 at least in my opinion. If we would have had any kind of running attack at all it likely would have opened the passing game further and also our total points scored might have climbed if we had rushed for more than 4 TD's. I know statistics are just that but it was progress.

    Defensively while I bought into the early hype statistically we either regressed or stayed par in most categories. Points per game increased from 23 to 25ish. After investing heavily in Horton and D players our sacks only increased from 38 to 40. Interceptions dropped by 3 from 17 to 14. Our run defense which everyone thought was spectacular? 111 ypg for 13 TD's last year vs 118 ypg and 14 TDs this year.

    Given the fact we invested most of our draft and free agency in defensive players for the "aggressive" 3/4 Horton defense who really failed as a coach this year? If I had to pick a scapegoat (and most teams would) it is Horton I would have sent packing. The aggressive shock and awe type defense we were told we would see was a crock of shit. Never happened.

    I could be completely wrong but as a fan (a season ticket paying fan at that) I have the right to my opinion. My opinion is that egos got in the way here and fucked us with yet ANOTHER redo.

    Regarding the insubordination crap.... if it was 100% true and he was that insubordinate they would have fired him then. I don't like Little at all BUT the day in day out decisions of who starts, who's benched and who is cut it supposed to be that of the coach. I don't want us to be like Oakland of old and Dallas and Jerry for gods sake. Let the coach run the team. As I have said in other threads - "Jimmy if you believe wholeheartedly that Chud is the wrong buy and could not possible move us forward you are obligated to fire Banner as well. It was his most important act as the new president and you are both saying he failed."

    Do any of you truly believe someone like McDaniels or Whisenhunt would have shown a vastly different results in wins and losses given the current talent????

  • jcam,

    I think I agree with most of what you said in reference to statistics. I think a lot of what you're citing, though, can be traced back to the emphasis on passing and de-emphasis on running that was Chud's whole baby. That resulted in better passing/receiving totals and worse rushing totals. They simply passed more and ran less than the previous regime. Because everyone is so in love with the idea of passing, people were convinced it would work or that it did work. All it really did was make the offense ineffective in a different way. The team couldn't score on the ground and couldn't hold onto a lead late in the game. A lot of people want to blame the defense for this, but I think it was more a matter of the defense being on the field too much. I saw too many three-and-outs with three incomplete passes late in the game with the team ahead than I care to see. The offense wasn't any better, it just looked different in a way that appeals to people who like to watch passing. It didn't win any more games because it was weak when it came to sustaining a lead.

    Do I believe McDaniels or Wisenhunt would have had vastly different results? I'm not sure. But let's say they didn't. Personally, I wouldn't ask for "vastly" different results, I'd ask to see some small sign of improvement. And if McDaniels and Wisenhunt couldn't provide that, I'd have suggested that they be fired too. I don't think it was absolutely impossible for any coach in the world to have shown any signs of improvement at all. Another couple of wins, a sustainable offense, the ability to come from behind now and then, the ability to hold a lead, anything. Chud threw the ball more times and that resulted in higher passing/receiving totals and lower rushing totals. That's not "improvement" enough, in my book.

  • Lol, all of the sudden everyone agrees with me. Come on, disagree-ers, I know you're out there. I saw where some of you said a HC should never be fired after just one year. Tell us how you think it should go.

    @spectralcow said:

    Tell us how you think it should go.

    Please go away...

  • Lol, you're right. Offering to listen to your position instead of just arguing my side and not listening to yours is pretty annoying.

  • 8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

    @thenew23 said:

    8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

    I don't feel bad because you nailed it "halftime adjustments". Not only that, but I never saw new and interesting play calls. It was always predictable or idiotic play calls, watch bess run a fucking 3 yd drag route only to have the QB over/under throw him... no wonder we had so many drops as a team. We threw the ball 50+ times a game and never even attempted to be a tough physical football team by running the ball down an opponents throat. Chud was a pud and this team was in too many games to finish 4-12...6-10 at worst. The Jax, NE, and Chicago games sealed his fate

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    No. They shouldn't be. If they told chud to cut little and he didn't that's on him. If your boss told you to do something and you failed to do it, that's insubordination and that will get you fired.

    Little got demoted and the #3 receiver that replaced him ended up being worse.

    If that is remotely true Lombardi should be fired for the 6th time.

    @bbedward said:

    Little got demoted and the #3 receiver that replaced him ended up being worse.

    If that is remotely true Lombardi should be fired for the 6th time.

    That's not chuds call to make. I can't pick and choose what jobs I want to do at work and he can't either.

  • @thenew23 said:

    8 halftime leads, and 2 halftime ties... yet only 4 wins. Halftime adjustments??

    5 blown 4th quarter leads... If Horton was calling prevent, get in his face and tell him to blitz!!

    Losing 7 consecutive games to end the season... Ouch, especially the way they lost some of them...

    1-8 on the road... Way to be prepared...

    Untouchable??? Not quite...

    I feel bad for Chud, I really do, and I feel terrible for our team's lack of continuity. Having said that, I guess I'm ready for the next guy...

    I don't feel bad because you nailed it "halftime adjustments". Not only that, but I never saw new and interesting play calls. It was always predictable or idiotic play calls, watch bess run a fucking 3 yd drag route only to have the QB over/under throw him... no wonder we had so many drops as a team. We threw the ball 50+ times a game and never even attempted to be a tough physical football team by running the ball down an opponents throat. Chud was a pud and this team was in too many games to finish 4-12...6-10 at worst. The Jax, NE, and Chicago games sealed his fate

    @browns616 said:

    I don't feel bad because you nailed it "halftime adjustments". Not only that, but I never saw new and interesting play calls. It was always predictable or idiotic play calls, watch bess run a fucking 3 yd drag route only to have the QB over/under throw him... no wonder we had so many drops as a team. We threw the ball 50+ times a game and never even attempted to be a tough physical football team by running the ball down an opponents throat. Chud was a pud and this team was in too many games to finish 4-12...6-10 at worst. The Jax, NE, and Chicago games sealed his fate

    Another stat... #1 in the NFL in "most pass attempts" thrown. With Campbell/Weeden/Hoyer... WTF was that?

    Between weeks, did we ever focus on blocking for our running backs? Seems to me we just kept trying to bring new RBs in and hoping they broke loose. Plus, I only saw Pinkston playing in "fill-in" roles despite "looking" like the best G on our team when he was in...

    A lot of questions about the coaching and playcalling, especially on offense, which was supposed to be Chud's "specialty"

  • @bbedward said:

    Little got demoted and the #3 receiver that replaced him ended up being worse.

    If that is remotely true Lombardi should be fired for the 6th time.

    That's not chuds call to make. I can't pick and choose what jobs I want to do at work and he can't either.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    That's not chuds call to make. I can't pick and choose what jobs I want to do at work and he can't either.

    But assuming your boss hired you because he thinks you know what you are doing....

    WSS

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    That's not chuds call to make. I can't pick and choose what jobs I want to do at work and he can't either.

    But assuming your boss hired you because he thinks you know what you are doing....

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    But assuming your boss hired you because he thinks you know what you are doing....

    WSS

    Perhaps it became clear he didn't know what he was doing. A billion dollar business where the entire public is calling for your head when you fail is no place for a bumbler to get on the job training

  • People (both people on the boards and media folks) keep asking, "Well, what guarantee does the next guy have that this won't happen to him?" He doesn't. SHOULD he? Why does everyone act like it is so unbelievable that the FO won't guarantee that a coach gets to keep his job after the first season even if he sucks? That seems crazy to me. Now, if the FO was like, "Either come in and win the AFC in 2014 or get out!" then yeah, that's too much to ask. But is it too much to ask that the coach who gets hired comes in and makes ANY improvement at all over the course of a season? Everyone is like, "Why would any coach agree to that?!" What does that mean? Does every potential coach in the league have the right to demand a consequence-free first year?

  • @westside-steve said:

    But assuming your boss hired you because he thinks you know what you are doing....

    WSS

    Perhaps it became clear he didn't know what he was doing. A billion dollar business where the entire public is calling for your head when you fail is no place for a bumbler to get on the job training

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Perhaps it became clear he didn't know what he was doing. A billion dollar business where the entire public is calling for your head when you fail is no place for a bumbler to get on the job training

    Well that is certainly a possibility. It would seem to me that with an established and professional offensive and defensive coordinator your coaching staff should be able to scrape together an idea who should start and who shouldn't. Especially more than a dickhead and a two bit chisler like Lombardi and Banner.

    Further remember whose job it was to hire these three coaches. So if somebody doesn't know shit from shinola about it maybe it's them.

    WSS