Skip to content

Josh McDaniels

The Browns Board
169 56 10.8k
  • Browns wanted McDaniels last year after the less realistic star fucking. Banner and Lombardi love him and he made a ton of sense. There are some nice stats on guys getting their second chance as a head coach with a little space in between. So much to learn and then some time to process it... and who better to process with than Belicheck, the prime example of a Second Chancer?

    Assuming it's McDaniels, expect the Browns to be forward thinking at the quarterback position. Nobody's run the spread more than McDaniels (in New England) and nobody's found a way to win with Tebow except McDaniels, an early adaptor to the RO.

    Man, if that doesn't scream Johnny Manziel, I don't know what does. Could be Mariota, who just might reverse field and come out. Or maybe Brett Hundley gets a year to watch because his ceiling is the highest in the draft. Point being, we won't mind all that much if Jacksonville takes Blake Bortles as many are now suggesting.

    But with the talent this team will have accumulated by July (6 Pro Bowlers, 40-some mill in cap, 10 draft picks), I think I could win 8 or 9 games next year.

    PS: I agree with Couch to an extent. One thing McDaniels has learned from his travels away from and back to Tom Brady is you ain't winning jack squat without the quarterback. He didn't think the Browns had one and didn't see one in the draft.

    Now he does.

    @shep said:

    Browns wanted McDaniels last year after the less realistic star fucking. Banner and Lombardi love him and he made a ton of sense. There are some nice stats on guys getting their second chance as a head coach with a little space in between. So much to learn and then some time to process it... and who better to process with than Belicheck, the prime example of a Second Chancer?

    Anything is possible, but truly arrogant people never really learn because they can never admit that some part of them contributed to their failure.

    One other issue, and I've seen it here before, that Bill is somehow a 2nd chancer, which implies that somehow he screwed up his CLE gig the first time around. While he had plenty of bumps in the road with fans and press, he was 11-5 in '94 and started '95 3-1 with a team picked by most to go to the SB. In October the move rumors started the slide and the announcement doomed the season in November.

    Absent "the move":

    • he'd likely still be our HC today;
    • we'd be arguing about how bad McD leaving us again would hurt us;
    • we'd be bitching that we haven't won a SB in a whole decade...

    @spookyghost said:

    If it makes anybody feel better, Robert Mays at Grantland named Josh McDaniels as the best Coordinator of the year.

    Nope... not one bit better. League history is littered with great Coord's who failed miserably one or more times as a HC.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Nice write up... One request: Left justify please...

    Couple thoughts occurred as I was reading.

    • McD's 6-0 start at Denver showed he had something on the ball, but the subsequent loss-fest showed the league caught onto him quickly and he never regained an edge; and
    • the one thing Bill B is famous for is identifying an opponent's strength and neutralizing it.

    Would seem that if Bill tells McD what to exploit, he can do it, but could not figure out what to attack on his own. Has he since learned this?

    I sure as hell cannot criticize McD for not thinking Cutler is "the guy" since I have never thought he was. IMO Jay is a QB mirage...

  • according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

    @clevfan4life said:

    according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

    Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

    I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

  • when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

  • when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

    @sig570 said:

    when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

    When can we START hiring the Belichick clones? The coaches that win 3 SBs, appear in a few more, have a decade of double digit wins? Stays ahead of the game wih defensive tactics...etc. etc. Hmm?

  • @sig570 said:

    when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

    When can we START hiring the Belichick clones? The coaches that win 3 SBs, appear in a few more, have a decade of double digit wins? Stays ahead of the game wih defensive tactics...etc. etc. Hmm?

    @the-gipper said:

    When can we START hiring the Belichick clones? The coaches that win 3 SBs, appear in a few more, have a decade of double digit wins? Stays ahead of the game wih defensive tactics...etc. etc. Hmm?

    clearly bill is not passing that information on to his assistant coaches.

    if the browns hire McD hopefully he brings all that secret video footage that the pats have on every team.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

    Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

    I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

    @bbedward said:

    Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

    I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

    No I wouldn't have. I can say that because I was on record somewhere else saying that the Shurmur firing was perhaps premature. I liked some of things happening on Defense but there were alot of coaching gaffs that obviously i didn't. I can honestly say Shurmur deserved a 3rd year and I said it back then. But what I also said is that if we're gonna get rid of a coach after 2 years, AGAIN, that the next guy has to be the guy. Well we obviously now know that the FO never thought Chud was the guy so I'm still fairly comfortable saying that we should have stayed with Shurmur till we found the guy. This time around I will not say something like "ok this had better be the guy now".....because I know that's a useless sentiment at this point. If it's McDaniels....how could anyone bet money that there isn't a decent possibility he's gone midway through the next season and one of the coordinators is named interim..?? You can't make that bet with this organization anymore. I want more than anything for one of those assholes to say "OK, now this has to be it...whoever the guy is we have to hand him the keys for a couple years and back away". But they won't do that, we all know that now. This FO does not appear to be willing to build something.....they want to give boss Jimmeh some short term returns which make the Browns a middle of the road team and that's just gonna have to be good enough for the Cleveland fan base. They see teams making one "maybe" two playoff runs, being relevant for a short period of time and getting some nice returns out to their owner. After the run is over fire sale the team to save the owner cash, rinse repeat. Only the teams with owners willing to play the long ball are in the playoffs perennialy.

  • Watch McDaniels come in and demand Gordon and Haden and Thomas get traded for "being prima donnas" - even though of course those players are not.

    I can't wait to see how stupid this self-preening monstrosity of fail will be.

  • I care about the Browns so much, I'm going to root against them if we pick up McDaniels. This is the only way that we can get rid of the cancer that is Banner and Lombardi.

  • I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

  • I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

    @thenew23 said:

    I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

    Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

    Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

    Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

    Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

  • @thenew23 said:

    I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

    Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

    Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

    Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

    Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

    @jcam222 said:

    Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

    Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

    Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

    Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

    Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

    Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

    Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

  • There certainly does seem to be a certain type of Browns fan that will complain, almost just to hear themselves complain. Like Randy Quaid's character in Major League. I hate where the Browns are in terms of wins, no doubt about it, but even with that being said I feel better right now then I did the last few years Lerner owned the team.

    Hopefully ownership and management will get this right. One thing for sure is they aren't afraid to do what they feel they need to do to make the Browns a winner, and they don't give a Flying J what anyone else thinks.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

    Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

    Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

    Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

    Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

    Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

    Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

    @thenew23 said:

    Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

    Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

    Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

    Sorry dude, I've been optimistic and trusting in the Browns since their return, and have been rewarded with nothing but a single first-round exit. Banner has already exhibited his ability to scare off top coaching talent last year, seeing as Chud was his fifth choice (sixth if you count Saban). Now, because they've fired Chud after one year, they've made the Browns the indisputable worst franchise in the league, and it's somehow a worse place to coach. It's insane to me that we have 6 total Pro Bowlers/All-Pros yet we still have difficulty finding a coach. Since 1999, we've never been more set up for failure. Banner is a metastasizing cancer, and until he is gone, this franchise is going to be the laughingstock of the league.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Starting off your post on a Browns board you lead with " I'm sick of Browns fans" I am sure there are a few that might be sick of you too. The fact some of us think it sucks they fired Chud , or beyond that they simply went against their stance on maintaining continuity through the rebuilding stages, doesn't make us chronic bitches. The thousands of dollars I have spent on the Browns gives me the right to bitch anyway whether you like it or not.

    Regarding the new owner sure I am disappointed in him some, he is a criminal that may not even own the team long term. Banner is a bean counter that will fuck a guy in a heartbeat and Lombardi is Lombardi. If Jimmy were so committed to winning and refused to accept mediocrity he would have fired Banner and Lombardi after the season as well.

    Regarding McDaniels please by all means build us the case that makes him an attractive head coach candidate. He failed miserably in Denver as a head coach, he failed miserably as an OC in St Louis and only at home with Papa Belichick has he done well. That stands true for most of the spawn of the Belichick tree.

    Lastly please elaborate why we shouldn't be hating. What have you seen that brings your love for the current FO and its decisions

    Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

    Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

    Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

    @thenew23 said:

    Your "thousands of dollars" comment is pointless. If you hate the FO so much, quit giving them your money.

    Never said anything about love for the current FO, just some faith and hope. And if u want, I'll make a case for McDaniels... Who can u make a case for?

    Blatant hate does nothing but continue to spawn negativity. Maybe trusting our guys and giving them a vote of confidence, around the stadium and in the media, might be a start of something different. Sure, Browns fans are the most passionate in the league, but make a mistake and that passion will be directed at getting your ass fired. Whether your a coach, player, or other... I'm guilty of it too at times, but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going... It's easy to assume the worst about everybody that comes here, how about growing a pair and start assuming the best might happen... that takes guts as a fan... I'll quit ranting, just my 2 cents, or "thousands of dollars" worth of thought...

    "but we need to put ourselves in check sometimes and start rooting for the guys in the positions that can get this thing going..."

    Once the FO starts doing this then I'll follow suit.

  • I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

    @thenew23 said:

    I'm sick of Browns fans... Some of you guys already hate whoever our next coach is, and will bitch about him until the day he's fired, and then bitch that he was fired, and then hate the next coach... it's pure insanity. You already hate the new owner, the guy he hired as CEO, and the guy he hired as GM...

    Give it a rest...

    Here's a thought... How about if McDaniels gets hired and becomes the next best HC in the NFL and everybody in the league is talking about how great of a decision that was b/c he appears to be humbled by his time in Denver and seems to have brought a lot of poise and confidence to a rattled franchise as they prepare for their home playoff game... Nope, would never happen, right????

    We should hire........... who? All you guys bitching about McDaniels, who do you want??

    There's been a lot of Ifs over the years, how many worked out?

    Forgive the Browns fans skepticism as it's well justified.

  • Great. a non-Browns fan comes in here to bitch about us bitching, like

    that's all we need.


    How many coaches does it take til they know that a coach with not enough

    talent to win, won't win?


    Chud was the first coach I liked since...well,,,eh.....Sam Rutigliano, I think.


    The drafting, so many times for years, was a joke. But the head coaches just kept

    getting gone.


    The Browns don't need McDaniels, although the 3 potato heads in the fo

    would like him, because they could tell him to screw with any expensive

    player, for example, and he'd do it.


    McDaniels once was so arrogant, he messed with Tom Brady, and

    the two of them didn't talk for three weeks.


    Butticheck grew up, whereas McDaniels hasn't. And he's a local boy

    around this part of Ohio.


    Nah. McDaniels has had trouble with players at Denver, and now

    the Pats.... and.... nah.

  • For those complaining about possibly getting McDaniels, please say who you think would be better that we could actually get to come here. I posted this a few pages back and as far I've noticed, I haven't seen a response yet. Who do you want? Stop complaining and post who you would want to come here.

  • bob stoops, todd haley, bowles, etc..

  • The only good thing about a McDaniels hire is that it will accelerate an implosion of this front office.You can book the following: Gordon traded, Ward released, mishandled draft, BS free agent signings, continued roster turnover during the season with consequent negative impact on the team (remember Bobby Rainey?) McDaniels will be totally in sync with their decisions so they won't have anyone to scapegoat and Jimmy will kick 'em all out.

    Next stop will be a forced sale by NFL to remove the negative publicity of the Crook Owner/PFJ rebate scam. This regime makes Lerner's look competent.

  • bob stoops, todd haley, bowles, etc..

    @lbc-mike said:

    bob stoops, todd haley, bowles, etc..

    Fair enough. Care to elaborate why?