Skip to content

Josh McDaniels

The Browns Board
169 56 10.8k
  • @thenew23 said:

    I could see McDaniels being the HC hire.

    He hires Mike Sullivan (formerly with TB) as the OC (they run the same O)

    He retains Ray Horton and many of the D coaches (some continuity there, plus I like Ray and the players like him)

    McDaniels and Sullivan run the "Erhardt-Perkins" offense, which is the same offense Bellichick runs...

    Horton runs a 3-4 style of defense similar to the "Fairbanks-Bullough" scheme Bellichick has always ran...

    I think it would be a good fit, and would make Lombardi happy that we are employing his buddy Bellichick's systems in Cleveland...

    We have the pieces to make it work, including Hoyer who knows the offense and could tutor our newely drafted QB, but we may just be missing 2 smart, solid route-running WRs... Maybe McDaniels could convince Edelman to come to Cleveland as a FA to help get this offense moving... and maybe Sullivan could convince Tiquan Underwood to come over in FA. Both of those guys know the system and could both play well in the slot... Add in Gordon, Benjamin, and a high-ranked draft pick and that's 5 WRs all capable of making explosive plays in this style of offense...

    It just makes too much sense for it to happen...

    Actually, they got a guy on this roster that could easily play the Edelman role....perhaps even the Welker role: Josh Cooper.

    If he had a Tom Brady throwing to him I think he could be that kind of guy.

    @the-gipper said:

    Actually, they got a guy on this roster that could easily play the Edelman role....perhaps even the Welker role: Josh Cooper.

    If he had a Tom Brady throwing to him I think he could be that kind of guy.

    I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Actually, they got a guy on this roster that could easily play the Edelman role....perhaps even the Welker role: Josh Cooper.

    If he had a Tom Brady throwing to him I think he could be that kind of guy.

    I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

    @thenew23 said:

    I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

    I think you underrate his speed....or overrate that of Edelman and Welker.

  • CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    @beare said:

    CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    I like Horton b/c I have faith that he can get it done. They had their moments of dominance, especially against the run, and I think they will only get better as they add a couple players and get more comfortable in the system. They came into every game prepared to play, but were put in bad situations again and again by our offense. I do think Horton needs to work on playing with the lead if he stays around, but all-in-all the D improved... no denying that

    Also, the players like him. If we want to keep Ward around this offseason, and Haden next year, it would help out a great deal if we had a DC those guys like to play for. He also helps in FA to attract defensive players... Mostly though, how many available DCs are there that are any better??

  • @thenew23 said:

    I fail to see any resembelance, other than skin color. Edelman and Welker are both very speedy and were KRs in the early parts of their career. Cooper does not have that kind of speed...

    I think you underrate his speed....or overrate that of Edelman and Welker.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think you underrate his speed....or overrate that of Edelman and Welker.

    40-yard dash times at their pro days:

    Cooper : 4.65

    Welker : 4.65

    Edelman : 4.52

    Damn... I hate when I'm wrong 😎

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think you underrate his speed....or overrate that of Edelman and Welker.

    40-yard dash times at their pro days:

    Cooper : 4.65

    Welker : 4.65

    Edelman : 4.52

    Damn... I hate when I'm wrong 😎

    @thenew23 said:

    40-yard dash times at their pro days:

    Cooper : 4.65

    Welker : 4.65

    Edelman : 4.52

    Damn... I hate when I'm wrong 😎

    I guess I could have said Davone Bess.......but it seems best for him at this point to try to latch onto the Denver Broncos squad and become a Roy Orbison fan....you know: oobie doobie, oobie doobie, oobie doo.

  • Or, maybe for Davone, this is more his speed:

  • get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... 🙄

    @clevfan4life said:

    get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... 🙄

    Belichick will be coaching for the next ten years.

  • get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... 🙄

    @clevfan4life said:

    get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... 🙄

    Maybe he really wants to follow belichicks path. Coach the browns for a bit, then become a hof coach with the pats.

  • CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    @beare said:

    CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    Also not a big Horton fan. If a coordinator stays I hope it's Norv.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    get over it guys, McDaniels isn't coming here. He's got next in NE when Belichick retires. If him and Belichick weren't on good terms that would be one thing....but McDaniels already had his HC flirtation and it didn't work out, now he's home in NE and they've told him explicitly that he's Belichicks replacement when the old man retires. Bill wants one more SB run and he's out. He's got 3 years tops in the tank, and if Brady leaves/retires less than that. But McDaniels is going to give up a spot in that franchise to come here? Sure... 🙄

    Yes. Sure. He will. Why? Because he will know that it will be no fun to "follow a legend". Especially without Tom Brady at QB.

    He should want to make his own legend, here, in his home town. Not up with the spoiled Chowderheads who would not probably appreciate him there. They would expect him to follow the BB/Brady mold and be 12-4 every year and be in contention for the SB every year. He can't do that without a Tom Brady....and the Pats ain't likely to get on.

    In my life I have only ever seen one HOF caliber QB replace another.....that was San Fran with Montana/Young. It won't happen there....but he could have it happen here. Yes.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes. Sure. He will. Why? Because he will know that it will be no fun to "follow a legend". Especially without Tom Brady at QB.

    He should want to make his own legend, here, in his home town. Not up with the spoiled Chowderheads who would not probably appreciate him there. They would expect him to follow the BB/Brady mold and be 12-4 every year and be in contention for the SB every year. He can't do that without a Tom Brady....and the Pats ain't likely to get on.

    In my life I have only ever seen one HOF caliber QB replace another.....that was San Fran with Montana/Young. It won't happen there....but he could have it happen here. Yes.

    couple hours ago I would have told you you're crazy, no way McDaniels leaves a franchise like NE...following a legend or not. Apparently though the espn guys say it's a done deal....McDaniels will be announced as our coach as soon as the playoffs are over. Fuck me what do i know? ANd Schwartz is our new D coordinator...so back to the 4-3. Also...it's virtually a lock that we're gonna see Tebow in camp next year...McDaniels is bringing him in.That was on the radio tonight with one of those espn types who say the deal was basically made last year but McDaniels couldn't get away, or wouldn't...I dunno. But yeah they're basically confirming that Chud was a lame duck coach from day fucking one.

  • CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    @beare said:

    CAN someone explain to me the love for HORTON? Personally i think the D was OVER RATED hortons defense FAILED in crunch time. I personally thought he was biggest let down on the staff

    It was a good scheme. Our personnel just didn't deliver, that takes time to get the right people. They missed with Kruger. He was going 1v1 with OT's the whole season and he only got home 4.5 times...Sheard not much more. What we did with the interior of the line though was awesome....they hit with Desmond. So in year one he made us a top 10 defense...albeit with some glaring holes. Not too fucking shabby. I'd keep him for another 10 years.

  • I have said all along that I thought that the new coach was already chosen, signed (back door handshake) and a forgone conclusion. The dog and pony show of interviewing coaches is to satisfy the Rooney rule and keep us out of tampering charges. That being said, I had and still have no idea who will end up on the sidelines.

  • Mcdaniels has failed miserably away from NE. He like all the other failed coordinators of bellyache have done nothing and will continue to do nothing. Dont want the guy.His resume is as padded as a middle-schooler's bra.

    Of course he benefitted from being in New England. It wouldn't matter if Tom Brady or Tom Tupa was the quarterback, the Patriots offensive system is a well-oiled machine. In the three years McDaniels took off to find his coaching identity in Denver (and then St. Louis), the New England Patriots offense finished 3rd, 8th, and 2nd in the league, respectively. In the five seasons he's been an offensive coordinator in New England, the Patriots have averaged 29.8 points per game whereas in the three seasons he was gone, the Patriots averaged 30.4 points per game. The first back-to-back-to-back Pro Bowl seasons of Tom Brady's career began the season McDaniels left New England.

    McDaniels wasn't and still isn't necessarily needed in New England for that team to be successful. He is simply riding the coattails of an elite coach, an elite quarterback and an elite front office. Take a look at what McDaniels did when he was away from The Hoodie.

    In McDaniels' two years in Denver, the Broncos offense never finished above 13th in the league. The Broncos offense was held to under 14 points on four separate occasions in McDaniels' first year as head coach. McDaniels' team scored, on average, 21 points per game over two seasons, a far cry from the 34.8 and 36.8 PPG seasons he was experiencing in New England. He was unable to coexist with arguably the only two weapons the Denver Broncos had at the time, Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler and Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall. In his one year stint in St. Louis, where McDaniels was an offensive coordinator after being dismissed from the Broncos, his offense finished 31st in the league. His offense proved to be completely inept at finding the endzone, being shut out twice and posting an NFL-high twelve games in which they were unable to score more than 14 points. That season, the St. Louis offense finished as the worst scoring offense in the NFL, only averaging 12.1 points per game.

    Then McDaniels goes back to New England and, in the matter of one season, goes from coordinating the NFL's worst scoring offense to the the NFL's best scoring offense.

  • I think the writing is on the wall... We interview the best DC in the game Thursday... why not? We interview the black guy Friday (not being racist)... to satisfy the Rooney rule. We interview our next HC Saturday... Josh McDaniels... If he turns us down, then it's off to interview all the college guys...

  • according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

  • Browns wanted McDaniels last year after the less realistic star fucking. Banner and Lombardi love him and he made a ton of sense. There are some nice stats on guys getting their second chance as a head coach with a little space in between. So much to learn and then some time to process it... and who better to process with than Belicheck, the prime example of a Second Chancer?

    Assuming it's McDaniels, expect the Browns to be forward thinking at the quarterback position. Nobody's run the spread more than McDaniels (in New England) and nobody's found a way to win with Tebow except McDaniels, an early adaptor to the RO.

    Man, if that doesn't scream Johnny Manziel, I don't know what does. Could be Mariota, who just might reverse field and come out. Or maybe Brett Hundley gets a year to watch because his ceiling is the highest in the draft. Point being, we won't mind all that much if Jacksonville takes Blake Bortles as many are now suggesting.

    But with the talent this team will have accumulated by July (6 Pro Bowlers, 40-some mill in cap, 10 draft picks), I think I could win 8 or 9 games next year.

    PS: I agree with Couch to an extent. One thing McDaniels has learned from his travels away from and back to Tom Brady is you ain't winning jack squat without the quarterback. He didn't think the Browns had one and didn't see one in the draft.

    Now he does.

    @shep said:

    Browns wanted McDaniels last year after the less realistic star fucking. Banner and Lombardi love him and he made a ton of sense. There are some nice stats on guys getting their second chance as a head coach with a little space in between. So much to learn and then some time to process it... and who better to process with than Belicheck, the prime example of a Second Chancer?

    Anything is possible, but truly arrogant people never really learn because they can never admit that some part of them contributed to their failure.

    One other issue, and I've seen it here before, that Bill is somehow a 2nd chancer, which implies that somehow he screwed up his CLE gig the first time around. While he had plenty of bumps in the road with fans and press, he was 11-5 in '94 and started '95 3-1 with a team picked by most to go to the SB. In October the move rumors started the slide and the announcement doomed the season in November.

    Absent "the move":

    • he'd likely still be our HC today;
    • we'd be arguing about how bad McD leaving us again would hurt us;
    • we'd be bitching that we haven't won a SB in a whole decade...

    @spookyghost said:

    If it makes anybody feel better, Robert Mays at Grantland named Josh McDaniels as the best Coordinator of the year.

    Nope... not one bit better. League history is littered with great Coord's who failed miserably one or more times as a HC.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Nice write up... One request: Left justify please...

    Couple thoughts occurred as I was reading.

    • McD's 6-0 start at Denver showed he had something on the ball, but the subsequent loss-fest showed the league caught onto him quickly and he never regained an edge; and
    • the one thing Bill B is famous for is identifying an opponent's strength and neutralizing it.

    Would seem that if Bill tells McD what to exploit, he can do it, but could not figure out what to attack on his own. Has he since learned this?

    I sure as hell cannot criticize McD for not thinking Cutler is "the guy" since I have never thought he was. IMO Jay is a QB mirage...

  • according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

    @clevfan4life said:

    according to that guy on 92 yesterday..fuck I can't remember his name...McDaniels has been onboard since last year but for some reason couldn't leave. So they did hire Chud as the stopgap. I don't know how I feel about that. Why even fire Shurmur then? Why not let that 4-3 defense we were running go into it's 3rd year? Why all this bullshit if you it was THIS year you were gonna turn it over? If this shit is true....that they let us pick up guys in FA that may not fit this years turnover....wow, uncle sam just needs to take the Browns away from ole Jimmeh. We need a deal like GB has.

    Because if we kept shurmur another year everybody including you would have said the FO is inept and terrible and shurmur sucks too.

    I think if the team didn't collapse after the bye chud is still here. Coaching was a negative factor in some of our losses, believe it or not.

  • when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

  • when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

    @sig570 said:

    when can the browns stop hiring the belichick clones?

    When can we START hiring the Belichick clones? The coaches that win 3 SBs, appear in a few more, have a decade of double digit wins? Stays ahead of the game wih defensive tactics...etc. etc. Hmm?