Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Bob Stoops

Bob Stoops

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
11 Posts 8 Posters 1.1k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • RoyceRolls R
    • 1k Posts
    • 345 Reputation
    R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Apparently he's the latest guy to come up in the browns HC discussion.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/oklahomas_bob_stoops_the_young.html

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Zombo Z
      • 8k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I've wanted him for years, I think the first time his name came up was when we took Butch.

      He could bring his brother with him and we could build a real AFC North defense.

      However ... it seems that Banner and Lombardi are obsessed with the offensive side of the ball ... so this sensible hire would shock me.

      Zombo

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • bbedward bbedwardB Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 1k Reputation
        bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Well, he just beat Alabama yesterday.

        I like stoops a lot, too. It's another doubtful though.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • gftChris gftChrisG
          • 13k Posts
          • 428 Reputation
          gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I had a scary moment where I couldn't remember which OK college Weeden played at, and thought maybe if Stoops got the job he'd want to keep him around.

          Panic over.

          JAFBFJ 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 2k Posts
            • 114 Reputation
            Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I'd love it. Hes my new favorite.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • gftChrisG gftChris

              I had a scary moment where I couldn't remember which OK college Weeden played at, and thought maybe if Stoops got the job he'd want to keep him around.

              Panic over.

              JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 10k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by JAFBF
              #6

              @gftchris said:

              I had a scary moment where I couldn't remember which OK college Weeden played at, and thought maybe if Stoops got the job he'd want to keep him around.

              Panic over.

              I had the exact same reaction.

              Regardless, i still think whoever the new HC is, they're going to want to take a look at Weeden . . .

              I'd currently like us to go Stoops or Malzahn from what I've read so far - McDaniels just reeks too much of cronyism to me with the Lombardi & same Agent connections.

              hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • gftChris gftChrisG
                • 13k Posts
                • 428 Reputation
                gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I really don't know much about college football, but I'd take a guy like stoops, with over a decade of coaching at a top level to a guy in Malzahn who has only been a HC for 2 years, and, assuming he joined us, would have left 2 different teams in consecutive years - it doesn't strike me as someone looking to build a dynasty.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • JAFBFJ JAFBF

                  @gftchris said:

                  I had a scary moment where I couldn't remember which OK college Weeden played at, and thought maybe if Stoops got the job he'd want to keep him around.

                  Panic over.

                  I had the exact same reaction.

                  Regardless, i still think whoever the new HC is, they're going to want to take a look at Weeden . . .

                  I'd currently like us to go Stoops or Malzahn from what I've read so far - McDaniels just reeks too much of cronyism to me with the Lombardi & same Agent connections.

                  hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 20k Posts
                  • 5k Reputation
                  hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @jafbf said:

                  I had the exact same reaction.

                  Regardless, i still think whoever the new HC is, they're going to want to take a look at Weeden . . .

                  I'd currently like us to go Stoops or Malzahn from what I've read so far - McDaniels just reeks too much of cronyism to me with the Lombardi & same Agent connections.

                  Oklahoma State guys, relax. I think whoever comes in will take one look at the Weeden tapes and send him packing. There was a reason Chud started Campbell over Weeden the end of the year- Jason isn't much, but he's got more to offer than Wee-Done.

                  Oh and cronyism? That's exactly the reason I'm afraid McDaniels is #1A AND #1B on their coaching search. Belichick disciples as a general rule have fared extremely poorly when promoted to head coaches.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • D Bone D BoneD Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 8k Posts
                    • 3k Reputation
                    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
                    #9

                    Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see a HC with some NFL head coaching experience or the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

                    gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • D BoneD D Bone

                      Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see a HC with some NFL head coaching experience or the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

                      gftChris gftChrisG
                      • 13k Posts
                      • 428 Reputation
                      gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @d-bone said:

                      Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see both a HC with some NFL HCing experience, then the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

                      That's the one knock on him. But then, we've tried the new hot coordinators in Chud and Shurmur and the rest and it's not worked out, so I would be ok with them going somewhere different.

                      D BoneD 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • gftChrisG gftChris

                        @d-bone said:

                        Not specifically aimed at Stoops, but I fear for any NCAA head coach coming here. For every Chip Kelly, there are far more Steve Spurriers. I would rather see both a HC with some NFL HCing experience, then the hot coordinator of the week, before a college HC with no NFL experience.

                        That's the one knock on him. But then, we've tried the new hot coordinators in Chud and Shurmur and the rest and it's not worked out, so I would be ok with them going somewhere different.

                        D Bone D BoneD Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 8k Posts
                        • 3k Reputation
                        D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @gftchris said:

                        That's the one knock on him. But then, we've tried the new hot coordinators in Chud and Shurmur and the rest and it's not worked out, so I would be ok with them going somewhere different.

                        Agreed. That's why while I'm not drooling over Josh McDaniels, I do like the fact that he's been there and done that. I know it wasn't great, but hopefully he learned from his mistakes and that coupled with not having GM personal duties like he did in Denver, might make for a better HC. The coordinator de jour, with no HC experience, usually results in RAC, Shurmur or Chud.

                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        Reply
                        • Reply as topic
                        Log in to reply
                        • Oldest to Newest
                        • Newest to Oldest
                        • Most Votes


                        Theme
                        • System
                        • Light
                        • Dark
                        The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                        The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                        • First post
                          Last post
                        0
                        • Forums
                        • Recent
                        • Popular
                        • Users
                        • Donate