Skip to content

MMGW

Political Discussion
102 12 4.2k
  • In fact, this site sums it up quite nicely:

    http://www.skepticalscience.com/OISM-Petition-Project.htm

    As well as other questions people might have:

    http://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    So like -16 without the wind chill this morning. Record low temperatures all over the country makes it sort of difficult to believe the global warming apocalypse doom-criers.

    You're sort of contradicting yourself there. Global warming/climate change doesn't necessarily mean that every place in the world will see its temperatures rise by a couple of degrees, while maintaining the same basic distribution; rather, it makes the likelihood/frequency of freak weather conditions increase, while the planet on average gets warmer. What you're experiencing now, would count as freak weather, I would say.

    @gftchris said:

    You're sort of contradicting yourself there. Global warming/climate change doesn't necessarily mean that every place in the world will see its temperatures rise by a couple of degrees, while maintaining the same basic distribution; rather, it makes the likelihood/frequency of freak weather conditions increase, while the planet on average gets warmer. What you're experiencing now, would count as freak weather, I would say.

    Kind of like it went from about the 40 in ohio on last sunday, to -12 on monday night/tuesday morning, and could possibly get back up to 50 by saturday....

  • I think man has an effect on the temperature for sure, but doubt that it is anything major compared to volcano's, cow farts, and other natural phenomenon.

  • I think man has an effect on the temperature for sure, but doubt that it is anything major compared to volcano's, cow farts, and other natural phenomenon.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I think man has an effect on the temperature for sure, but doubt that it is anything major compared to volcano's, cow farts, and other natural phenomenon.

    Well, no. That site I posted earlier is actually a useful resource at times like this.

    Generic anti-MMGW claim:

    Human CO2 is a tiny % of CO2 emissions
    β€œThe oceans contain 37,400 billion tons (GT) of suspended carbon, land biomass has 2000-3000 GT. The atpmosphere contains 720 billion tons of CO2 and humans contribute only 6 GT additional load on this balance. The oceans, land and atpmosphere exchange CO2 continuously so the additional load by humans is incredibly small. A small shift in the balance between oceans and air would cause aCO2 much more severe rise than anything we could produce.”
    What the science says:
    The CO2 that nature emits (from the ocean and vegetation) is balanced by natural absorptions (again by the ocean and vegetation). Therefore human emissions upset the natural balance, rising CO2 to levels not seen in at least 800,000 years. In fact, human emit 26 gigatonnes of CO2 per year while CO2 in the atmosphere is rising by only 15 gigatonnes per year - much of human CO2 emissions is being absorbed by natural sinks.
  • So like -16 without the wind chill this morning. Record low temperatures all over the country makes it sort of difficult to believe the global warming apocalypse doom-criers.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    So like -16 without the wind chill this morning. Record low temperatures all over the country makes it sort of difficult to believe the global warming apocalypse doom-criers.

    There are also record high temperatures in Australia right now.

    One of the predictions with climate change is more extremes. higher highs, lower lows and crazy weather, while the overall average temp is rising

  • @gftchris said:

    Exactly, more evidence of humans having an impact on the environment, I'm glad you agree.

    Are you stereo typing everyone who doesn't share the world wide hysteria? I've never said that mankind has no effect on whatever difference the co2 level makes.

    I just keep repeating that if it is actually that important to anybody that they should really be vegan and walk wherever they go. Or they should STFU and quit bothering me about it. πŸ˜‰

    WSS

  • Who is bothering you about it?

    No one person is going to make a change. It all has to come from govt and policy makers. But, do to politics and lobby groups mudding the waters and creating confusion among the public, we are still waiting.

  • @gftchris said:

    Exactly, more evidence of humans having an impact on the environment, I'm glad you agree.

    Are you stereo typing everyone who doesn't share the world wide hysteria? I've never said that mankind has no effect on whatever difference the co2 level makes.

    I just keep repeating that if it is actually that important to anybody that they should really be vegan and walk wherever they go. Or they should STFU and quit bothering me about it. πŸ˜‰

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Are you stereo typing everyone who doesn't share the world wide hysteria? I've never said that mankind has no effect on whatever difference the co2 level makes.

    I just keep repeating that if it is actually that important to anybody that they should really be vegan and walk wherever they go. Or they should STFU and quit bothering me about it. πŸ˜‰

    WSS

    Sorry, I thought it was DieHard who posted it. But the point remains, it's because of us humans that we have these issues. And yes, everybody going vegan would have a big impact on it, but it's not exactly likely! Then again, if we start taxing meat from these animals for example to make it difficult to afford, so that less is consumed, eventually the total cow population will decrease and their effect will decrease with it.

    So yes, it's a valid point. But I love a good steak πŸ˜‰

  • @westside-steve said:

    Are you stereo typing everyone who doesn't share the world wide hysteria? I've never said that mankind has no effect on whatever difference the co2 level makes.

    I just keep repeating that if it is actually that important to anybody that they should really be vegan and walk wherever they go. Or they should STFU and quit bothering me about it. πŸ˜‰

    WSS

    Sorry, I thought it was DieHard who posted it. But the point remains, it's because of us humans that we have these issues. And yes, everybody going vegan would have a big impact on it, but it's not exactly likely! Then again, if we start taxing meat from these animals for example to make it difficult to afford, so that less is consumed, eventually the total cow population will decrease and their effect will decrease with it.

    So yes, it's a valid point. But I love a good steak πŸ˜‰

    @gftchris said:

    Sorry, I thought it was DieHard who posted it. But the point remains, it's because of us humans that we have these issues. And yes, everybody going vegan would have a big impact on it, but it's not exactly likely! Then again, if we start taxing meat from these animals for example to make it difficult to afford, so that less is consumed, eventually the total cow population will decrease and their effect will decrease with it.

    So yes, it's a valid point. But I love a good steak πŸ˜‰

    Also, this:

    http://www.skepticalscience.com/methane-and-global-warming.htm

    This may become the stock way to respond to MMGW questions in future - the facts seem to be nicely laid out for us there.

  • So you propose outlawing meet? Or at least forcing the prices so high that none but the richest Americans can afford it? And almost no one in the developing countries, correct?

    I will answer for you of course I don't think you are proposing that and I'm not seriously asking the question.

    As to the question from Woody who is bothering me about it? Well sir I'd say that the people who actually do want to make things like automobile travel and heating and cooling your home and manufacturing the items you want to buy outrageously expensive by piling on the taxes are the people who are bothering me. The people who wanted the United States to sign the Kyoto Accord. Those people woody. Not you, I don't think you take anything seriously beyond calling people idiots.

    WSS

  • So you propose outlawing meet? Or at least forcing the prices so high that none but the richest Americans can afford it? And almost no one in the developing countries, correct?

    I will answer for you of course I don't think you are proposing that and I'm not seriously asking the question.

    As to the question from Woody who is bothering me about it? Well sir I'd say that the people who actually do want to make things like automobile travel and heating and cooling your home and manufacturing the items you want to buy outrageously expensive by piling on the taxes are the people who are bothering me. The people who wanted the United States to sign the Kyoto Accord. Those people woody. Not you, I don't think you take anything seriously beyond calling people idiots.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So you propose outlawing meet? Or at least forcing the prices so high that none but the richest Americans can afford it? And almost no one in the developing countries, correct?

    I will answer for you of course I don't think you are proposing that and I'm not seriously asking the question.

    As to the question from Woody who is bothering me about it? Well sir I'd say that the people who actually do want to make things like automobile travel and heating and cooling your home and manufacturing the items you want to buy outrageously expensive by piling on the taxes are the people who are bothering me. The people who wanted the United States to sign the Kyoto Accord. Those people woody. Not you, I don't think you take anything seriously beyond calling people idiots.

    WSS

    Of course, on the meat thing. But it's indicative - people won't make the necessary changes on their own because there's no incentive to - one person won't make the difference. So it's up to the policy makers to make the decisions en masse.

    To be fair, the person most bothering me about it is cal πŸ˜‰

  • Also you know uni lateral action by the United States doesn't put a dent in whatever problem you guys perceive merely tends to bankrupt us.

    Let us agree that there are a lot of injuries in the NFL. The AFC North has decided that we will no longer tackle our opponents. Who's with me Fellowes?

    WSS

  • Also you know uni lateral action by the United States doesn't put a dent in whatever problem you guys perceive merely tends to bankrupt us.

    Let us agree that there are a lot of injuries in the NFL. The AFC North has decided that we will no longer tackle our opponents. Who's with me Fellowes?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Also you know uni lateral action by the United States doesn't put a dent in whatever problem you guys perceive merely tends to bankrupt us.

    Let us agree that there are a lot of injuries in the NFL. The AFC North has decided that we will no longer tackle our opponents. Who's with me Fellowes?

    WSS

    And that's the kind of defeatist attitude that causes the problems. Sure, if one country, even one as big and developed as the USA, makes the change, the impact is quite small. But if all countries make the change - probably involving ganging up on China and India at some point - then we can start to make progress in reversing the CO2 trend.

    Pick whichever metaphor you like, along the lines of "all journeys start with a single step"

  • So that does kind of make it a de facto dictatorship, right? I mean by forcing people to do what you want through taxation. Kind of rubs human beings the wrong way don't you think? Especially those of us who cling to the fantasy of freedom. Well maybe not us but some of you guys. πŸ™‚

    And that is Cals job...... somebody has to do it. Unfortunately we do not have another Heck whose job it was to defend Obama in each and every instance. Oh well....

    WSS

  • So that does kind of make it a de facto dictatorship, right? I mean by forcing people to do what you want through taxation. Kind of rubs human beings the wrong way don't you think? Especially those of us who cling to the fantasy of freedom. Well maybe not us but some of you guys. πŸ™‚

    And that is Cals job...... somebody has to do it. Unfortunately we do not have another Heck whose job it was to defend Obama in each and every instance. Oh well....

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    So that does kind of make it a de facto dictatorship, right? I mean by forcing people to do what you want through taxation. Kind of rubs human beings the wrong way don't you think? Especially those of us who cling to the fantasy of freedom. Well maybe not us but some of you guys. πŸ™‚

    And that is Cals job...... somebody has to do it. Unfortunately we do not have another Heck whose job it was to defend Obama in each and every instance. Oh well....

    WSS

    That's because Obama isn't right in every instance. Nor is David Cameron. So while I'll agree with the general philosophy, I'll disagree with some policies.

    but anyway, yes, the best thing for the people is a benevolent, omniscient dictatorship. Unfortunately we're not smart enough to have someone like that to put in charge, so we go with whoever we think is best. That just happens to change frequently! What we call a democratic government isn't really that, it's democratically elected, then proceeds to tell us what to do. There's no point having a democratic vote on every issue because it's an infeasible system of government.

  • Defeatist? I would say realist. Yes we can certainly punish ourselves in order to punish China and India. You suppose someone else might think to take advantage of that by purchasing all their stuff from them?

    Not to mention that we're talking about guys like you and me and woody and everybody who flatly refuse to take any action until we are forced to by the Great and Powerful Obama.

    But to the journey and the one step gag you are correct. Digging to the Center of the Earth begins with a tablespoon of dirt.

    WSS

  • Why would anyone dig with a tablespoon?

    Also, props to working "The great and powerful Obama" into your last few posts.

    So you propose outlawing meet? Or at least forcing the prices so high that none but the richest Americans can afford it? And almost no one in the developing countries, correct?

    Woooooh broseph, slow down. I don't think he said any of those things. I am not sure why a tax = making it not affordable.

    Those people woody. Not you, I don't think you take anything seriously beyond calling people idiots.

    Oh man, you got me....

  • Why would anyone dig with a tablespoon?

    Also, props to working "The great and powerful Obama" into your last few posts.

    So you propose outlawing meet? Or at least forcing the prices so high that none but the richest Americans can afford it? And almost no one in the developing countries, correct?

    Woooooh broseph, slow down. I don't think he said any of those things. I am not sure why a tax = making it not affordable.

    Those people woody. Not you, I don't think you take anything seriously beyond calling people idiots.

    Oh man, you got me....

    @mld-woody said:

    Why would anyone dig with a tablespoon?

    It's a metaphor

    Woooooh broseph, slow down. I don't think he said any of those things. I am not sure why a tax = making it not affordable.

    He actually answered that question himself in the negative, so I think we can assume it was tongue in cheek.