Edwards trade
-
The thing about taking another look at him is that he will be an unrestricted free agent after this upcoming season. If you want something for him, get it now. We've seen 4 years of him in the NFL...1 good year and 3 bad years.
As it stands, 2007 was the anomaly. 2008 was just like college, 2005, and 2006. Shep is right by saying he's a fantastic athlete, leaper, etc., etc. but he has stone hands. I agree with NewEraDawg that Bray has a "deep seated fear of contact."
I'd go along with CIMO's suggestion that we should get more than just a 1st rounder, but in the end I'd probably take the 18th overall pick.
-Al
-
We'll keep BE thank you...
We have no replacement and crabtree is going to be nothing more than a great #2
-
As the resident Bears fan, I'd say giving up the #18 for BE would be an AWFUL trade for the Bears and a GREAT move for the Browns.
First of all, this trade is unlikely to happen straight-up. As CIMO pointed out, any trade of a #1 WR will involve more than one pick in compensation. So in addition to the #18, the Bears would likely have to give up another valuable pick, likely at least a 4th rounder. Two picks for a FA-to-be is steep for any team but for the Bears, who don't even have a QB yet, this seems like putting the racehorse before the cart.
Second, as Geech just pointed out, BE is going to be an FA in 2010. If you're the Bears, are you willing to sacrifice two picks (or more) and then spend $20 million plus to lock up a WR who has yet to prove anything? Again, WITHOUT a QB to throw him the ball?
Finally, the Bears need a QB, OL, DL, DB and soon will again need LB as Urlacher ages. Yes, they need WRs, but it's at the very bottom of the list. It would Angelo's worst use of a draft pick since Cedric Benson, whom he took one pick after BE that year.
As for the Browns, I'd make this move in a heart-beat for all the reasons the Bears SHOULDN'T do it: he's unproven, will want to get paid in 2010, we have much greater needs, and a premier WR should be the hood ornament on our Snow Plow offense and nothing more.
-
@shepwrite said:
Edwards is a better athlete than Crabtree, a spectacular leaper. He fell apart last year after a terrific Pro Bowl year... I'd sure take another look before I moved him.It'll never happen................. but Edwards lacks discipline, has a hugh ego and is a me first guy. But, biggest reason I would make the trade is that he will be a FA after this coming season and he will be gone. I don't think he would ever resign with the Browns. A guy who blames everybody but himself and disses the Browns fans because he is from Michigan. He's looking to go play for a major market team and make more money then he will ever be worth.
I'd make the trade even if Crabtree wasn't there.
-
@shepwrite said:
Edwards is a better athlete than Crabtree, a spectacular leaper. He fell apart last year after a terrific Pro Bowl year... I'd sure take another look before I moved him.It'll never happen................. but Edwards lacks discipline, has a hugh ego and is a me first guy. But, biggest reason I would make the trade is that he will be a FA after this coming season and he will be gone. I don't think he would ever resign with the Browns. A guy who blames everybody but himself and disses the Browns fans because he is from Michigan. He's looking to go play for a major market team and make more money then he will ever be worth.
I'd make the trade even if Crabtree wasn't there.
It'll never happen................. but Edwards lacks discipline, has a hugh ego and is a me first guy. But, biggest reason I would make the trade is that he will be a FA after this coming season and he will be gone. I don't think he would ever resign with the Browns. A guy who blames everybody but himself and disses the Browns fans because he is from Michigan. He's looking to go play for a major market team and make more money then he will ever be worth.
I'd make the trade even if Crabtree wasn't there.
I doubt the rumor has any truth to it, but I would trade him too. I agree that the Browns have no chance of re-signing BE.
Mike
-
2007 Edwards is better than Roy Williams, and Williams brought back three picks. Not to mention the Lions had a pretty good replacement in Calvin.
The Browns won't trade him this summer, even if Crabtree's available at 5. Give him a bounce back year and see if his stock goes up.
-
My problem with Edwards is that I believe in my heart his catching problems stem from a deep seated fear of contact . The way he jumps weather the pass is high or not leads me to believe his thinking is that if his feet is off the ground the hit won't hurt his legs . I really think he is chicken little on the field .
My problem with Edwards is that I believe in my heart his catching problems stem from a deep seated fear of contact . The way he jumps weather the pass is high or not leads me to believe his thinking is that if his feet is off the ground the hit won't hurt his legs . I really think he is chicken little on the field .
Did you see the way he ducked out of the way the last game of the season when he heard Palamalu's footsteps. It would be comical if he didn't get paid to make those catches.
-
I think BE is/was suffering from a bad case of being hung out to dry by DA. A year of knowing the ball will be where he needs it...and NOT getting his head taken off on every reception...and BE will be what we need.
As for trade value...sorry, a #18 is not going to do it. Unlike the case at QB, we do NOT have a guy to step in...so trading him for a pick is playing russion roulette...especially if we are going forward with BQ. You don't take weapons away for prospects when you are breaking in a new QB. You give him experienced receivers and let him ease into it. I see the Browns going WR more in 2010 draft than this year.
-
I think BE is/was suffering from a bad case of being hung out to dry by DA. A year of knowing the ball will be where he needs it...and NOT getting his head taken off on every reception...and BE will be what we need.
As for trade value...sorry, a #18 is not going to do it. Unlike the case at QB, we do NOT have a guy to step in...so trading him for a pick is playing russion roulette...especially if we are going forward with BQ. You don't take weapons away for prospects when you are breaking in a new QB. You give him experienced receivers and let him ease into it. I see the Browns going WR more in 2010 draft than this year.
I think BE is/was suffering from a bad case of being hung out to dry by DA. A year of knowing the ball will be where he needs it...and NOT getting his head taken off on every reception...and BE will be what we need.
As for trade value...sorry, a #18 is not going to do it. Unlike the case at QB, we do NOT have a guy to step in...so trading him for a pick is playing russion roulette...especially if we are going forward with BQ. You don't take weapons away for prospects when you are breaking in a new QB. You give him experienced receivers and let him ease into it. I see the Browns going WR more in 2010 draft than this year.
They will have to be looking receiver in 2010 because Edwards will be a FA and he will be walking out the door. In the meantime I expect a good year out of him because it is his contract year.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better đź’—
Register Login