Skip to content

OffTopic: Ballpeen

The Browns Board
6 4 947
  • Ballpeen:

    If you wouldnt mind, I would not mind seeing your recipe for the chili you mentioned with the italian sausage in it. That is if it is ok by you.......

  • Sure man.

    3lb ground beef

    1lb part italian or hot sausage(whatever you feel like....I went Italian this go)

    3 can diced tomatos...4 doesn't hurt anything

    1 small can of tomatos and chilis to add some zing...Rotel or any other brand

    2 large onions chopped

    2 cans kidney beans if I feel like beans

    That is the best I can tell you as far as measured ingredients. The rest sort of depends on feel and taste....

    Chili powder....say 5-6 tablespoons to start

    Half that amount of cumin....gives chili flavor without heat

    Salt..whatever tastes good to you

    Maybe 15 grinds of black pepper

    garlic powder....not salt...not a lot...a few dashes from the shaker.

    I guess that is it...

    Oh....my secret ingredient...vinegar...plain white vinegar...I have no idea how much it is, but it is added a little at a time...just keep taste testing...too much will screw it up...too little and it doesn't give it that ohhh and ahhh factor. maybe 4-5 tablespoons worth....just don't know

    Brown the meat, drain the grease...add all the other stuff and enough water to cover the meat and bring to boil...then simmer a few hours.

    I always make mine the day before, let cool, the refirgerate. It allows you to pikc off that last layer of grease that cooks out of the meat. The sausage releases a lot of grease....if you don't skim, it can be a little fatty IMO(if you knew me, you would know I am not against grease...lived in the south most of my life)

    Oh....if you add beans, I do it near the end of the simmer process as I don't like to get them all broken up due to stirring once in a while....but it doesn't really matter.

    Also...the vinegar...it is best to add it later in the simmer process...don't know why, but it seems to give you a better read.

    Just play with the chili powder level to get what you want...my measurements were a start.

    You can also use one of those chili packs...McCormack or whatever as a starting point on the chili powder

  • THanks bro!

  • made me hungry reading it.

  • Sure man.

    3lb ground beef

    1lb part italian or hot sausage(whatever you feel like....I went Italian this go)

    3 can diced tomatos...4 doesn't hurt anything

    1 small can of tomatos and chilis to add some zing...Rotel or any other brand

    2 large onions chopped

    2 cans kidney beans if I feel like beans

    That is the best I can tell you as far as measured ingredients. The rest sort of depends on feel and taste....

    Chili powder....say 5-6 tablespoons to start

    Half that amount of cumin....gives chili flavor without heat

    Salt..whatever tastes good to you

    Maybe 15 grinds of black pepper

    garlic powder....not salt...not a lot...a few dashes from the shaker.

    I guess that is it...

    Oh....my secret ingredient...vinegar...plain white vinegar...I have no idea how much it is, but it is added a little at a time...just keep taste testing...too much will screw it up...too little and it doesn't give it that ohhh and ahhh factor. maybe 4-5 tablespoons worth....just don't know

    Brown the meat, drain the grease...add all the other stuff and enough water to cover the meat and bring to boil...then simmer a few hours.

    I always make mine the day before, let cool, the refirgerate. It allows you to pikc off that last layer of grease that cooks out of the meat. The sausage releases a lot of grease....if you don't skim, it can be a little fatty IMO(if you knew me, you would know I am not against grease...lived in the south most of my life)

    Oh....if you add beans, I do it near the end of the simmer process as I don't like to get them all broken up due to stirring once in a while....but it doesn't really matter.

    Also...the vinegar...it is best to add it later in the simmer process...don't know why, but it seems to give you a better read.

    Just play with the chili powder level to get what you want...my measurements were a start.

    You can also use one of those chili packs...McCormack or whatever as a starting point on the chili powder

    @ballpeen said:

    Sure man.

    3lb ground beef

    1lb part italian or hot sausage(whatever you feel like....I went Italian this go)

    3 can diced tomatos...4 doesn't hurt anything

    1 small can of tomatos and chilis to add some zing...Rotel or any other brand

    2 large onions chopped

    2 cans kidney beans if I feel like beans

    That is the best I can tell you as far as measured ingredients. The rest sort of depends on feel and taste....

    Chili powder....say 5-6 tablespoons to start

    Half that amount of cumin....gives chili flavor without heat

    Salt..whatever tastes good to you

    Maybe 15 grinds of black pepper

    garlic powder....not salt...not a lot...a few dashes from the shaker.

    I guess that is it...

    Oh....my secret ingredient...vinegar...plain white vinegar...I have no idea how much it is, but it is added a little at a time...just keep taste testing...too much will screw it up...too little and it doesn't give it that ohhh and ahhh factor. maybe 4-5 tablespoons worth....just don't know

    Brown the meat, drain the grease...add all the other stuff and enough water to cover the meat and bring to boil...then simmer a few hours.

    I always make mine the day before, let cool, the refirgerate. It allows you to pikc off that last layer of grease that cooks out of the meat. The sausage releases a lot of grease....if you don't skim, it can be a little fatty IMO(if you knew me, you would know I am not against grease...lived in the south most of my life)

    Oh....if you add beans, I do it near the end of the simmer process as I don't like to get them all broken up due to stirring once in a while....but it doesn't really matter.

    Also...the vinegar...it is best to add it later in the simmer process...don't know why, but it seems to give you a better read.

    Just play with the chili powder level to get what you want...my measurements were a start.

    You can also use one of those chili packs...McCormack or whatever as a starting point on the chili powder

    Try using Andouille sausage, not sure about that spelling but it has alot of flavor and a really good kick

  • I do sometimes...and the spelling is fine