Skip to content

My take on the Head Coach search

The Browns Board
101 36 5.3k
  • Zombo said:

    Well, they either fired the first year coach with:

    a. No plan at all

    b. A plan, but got turned down

    c. A plan to hire the great Josh McDaniels, and are going to wait until after the patriot postseason run to announce it.

    Jim-Ban-Bardo look like SUPER Retards right now.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Zombo said:

    Well, they either fired the first year coach with:

    a. No plan at all

    b. A plan, but got turned down

    c. A plan to hire the great Josh McDaniels, and are going to wait until after the patriot postseason run to announce it.

    Jim-Ban-Bardo look like SUPER Retards right now.

    Zombo

    Option b. it is....

  • Back to dominance?? r u 75 years old Mike?

    @footbalfan1962 said:

    Back to dominance?? r u 75 years old Mike?

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

  • @footbalfan1962 said:

    Back to dominance?? r u 75 years old Mike?

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    @canton-mike said:

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    Mike your original post was flat out excellent! I wish to god Haslam had to read posts like that.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    Mike your original post was flat out excellent! I wish to god Haslam had to read posts like that.

    @jcam222 said:

    Mike your original post was flat out excellent! I wish to god Haslam had to read posts like that.

    Thank you. It hurt me tremendously, as a Browns' Fan, to write it & I HOPE that Jimmy Haslam either sees it or REALLY listens to other similar points of view. When he first came here, I saw a passion in a Browns' Owner that I hadn't seen for YEARS, but my bubble sure has been burst. Time will tell out of what kind of "STUFF" Jimmy Haslam is made. We'll see.

    Thanks again,

    Mike

  • I see one of two scenarios, both of which are disgusting....

    1) McDaniels has already agreed to accept the job & seeming unqualified candidates are being interviewed as a smoke screen to make the ultimate decision of hiring McDaniels look brilliant. This scenario is an insult to my intelligence.

    2) McDaniels has said "NO" & these are "panic" interviews because viable candidates, after talking to Chud, Norv, Ray, current players, and/or others in the know, have told the Haslam group they are not interested. This scenario tells me the current FO didn't anticipate possible repercussions from the one year firing of a rookie HC.

    IMHO, both scenarios came about due to deceit (Jimmys' pledge to us Fans of continuity), poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

    Note to Jimmy Haslam.....You, sir, are dealing with arguably the most passionate Fan base in the NFL. You came with an opportunity to right many wrongs & bring this proud franchise back to dominance. Instead, you now own a franchise mired in distrust, disdain, & lacking the credibility to move forward. Last year, you could sell a FO with vision & a plan. NOW, what can you sell?

    I have been a faithful Browns' Fan since the mid 1950s & NEVER thought I would feel compelled to write something like this about the leadership of my beloved Browns.

    Jimmy, the above statements are my observations & perceptions. Only you can prove me wrong & I pray that you do, but I guess the key words are, "We'll see".

    Mike Flanagan...yes, I've put my real name to it.

    Please excuse my signature...It should read, "Yes men are NEVER leaders!"

    @canton-mike said:

    I see one of two scenarios, both of which are disgusting....

    2) McDaniels has said "NO" & these are "panic" interviews because viable candidates, after talking to Chud, Norv, Ray, current players, and/or others in the know, have told the Haslam group they are not interested. This scenario tells me the current FO didn't anticipate possible repercussions from the one year firing of a rookie HC.

    IMHO, both scenarios came about due to deceit (Jimmys' pledge to us Fans of continuity), poor decision making (either making a lousy decision hiring Banner, Chud, or both), Banner hiring a totally unqualified Lombardi as GM, & Jimmy, to date, failing to hold Banner & Lombardi responsible for their part in this post season fiasco.

    Note to Jimmy Haslam.....You, sir, are dealing with arguably the most passionate Fan base in the NFL. You came with an opportunity to right many wrongs & bring this proud franchise back to dominance. Instead, you now own a franchise mired in distrust, disdain, & lacking the credibility to move forward. Last year, you could sell a FO with vision & a plan. NOW, what can you sell?

    I have been a faithful Browns' Fan since the mid 1950s & NEVER thought I would feel compelled to write something like this about the leadership of my beloved Browns.

    Jimmy, the above statements are my observations & perceptions. Only you can prove me wrong & I pray that you do, but I guess the key words are, "We'll see".

    Mike Flanagan...yes, I've put my real name to it.

    Please excuse my signature...It should read, "Yes men are NEVER leaders!"

    It's now clearly option #2, as McDaniels (wisely) turned them down, and for an added bonus ESPN is reporting Franklin is taking the Penn State job (that will make Zombo very happy). Matzoball isn't leaving Auburn, Lovie Smith signed with Tampa- so where does that leave Jimmy & Company in their Coaching search? Up shit creek without a paddle.

    In their infinite wisdom, they don't even want to talk to Tressell or Bob Stoops, so f**k 'em. Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

  • @mike-h said:

    He can also make more would-be tacklers miss than most.

    Any Dipwad that wants to copywrite "Johnny Football" can stay as far away from the Browns as possible. I don't want the RGIII \ Tebow media circus in town thank you very much.

    How old are you? He might be Fran Tarkenton, or he might be on a quick trip to a crippling injury. FYI- it only takes one big hit to end your career- just ask Bo Jackson or Ki Jana Carter.

  • @mike-h said:

    I have a terrible feeling the Browns are going to hire another Shurmur-type, and that will definitely be a disaster that will lose some people their jobs.

    Don't know about you- but I questioned the Banner hire, and thought Lombardi was a terrible hire. Hell of it is even if they bring in Shur-loss II, he's going to get more slack than Chud- unless Haslam wises up and decids the whole FO is a POS after yet another 4-12 season and totally blows it up yet again. Welcome to Groundhog Day.

  • I really hope we don't have jerry jones 2.0 on our hands. I would still prefer an owner who is too involved than an owner who doesn't give a shit like Lerner. Let's just hope that jimbo gets it right.

  • I really hope we don't have jerry jones 2.0 on our hands. I would still prefer an owner who is too involved than an owner who doesn't give a shit like Lerner. Let's just hope that jimbo gets it right.

    @roycerolls said:

    I really hope we don't have jerry jones 2.0 on our hands. I would still prefer an owner who is too involved than an owner who doesn't give a shit like Lerner. Let's just hope that jimbo gets it right.

    I believe in Haslam, if not Banner/Lombardi. He just needs the right people around him to tell him when to reign it in a bit.

  • I see Haslam, now, as a corporate bigshot who doesn't see people well. I mean, he's hired

    bigshots, promoted people, some of whom are the reasons, allegedly, for the FBI investigation.

    And one of them said Haslam KNEW what they were doing.

    And now, he hires banner and limpbardi ? Knowing that Limpbardi was not liked nor respected

    by players and fans the first time he was in Cleveland?

    He's now "knee-jerk jimmy" for this firing of Chud fiasco. You would think Haslam would have

    learned from his association with the steelers. But he didn't. Fires Chud after one season?

    The squeelers never have done that.

    This last firing was the final straw for a lot of great future hcs that might have come to the Browns.

    Haslam has now stepped in corporate poop up to his neck. It isn't a company that can simply

    dump people at Haslam's whim and fancy and pouting. The NFL is a different deal.

    Nobody in the NFL, or college ranks, is going to trust this Browns owner and fo. Nobody.

    I can't wait til the Browns lose their first game next year, and the fans start chanting "We want

    Chud, We want Chud".

    Good grief. What a mess.

  • @footbalfan1962 said:

    Back to dominance?? r u 75 years old Mike?

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    @canton-mike said:

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    Good stuff, Mike.

    Anyone that is old enough to have any memories of the Bernie Bernie Dawpound years knows how magical Cleveland is when it has a good football team.

    Some might be just old enough to remember the 94 team, and they at least have that.

    I really feel bad for the early 30's and under crowd, the poor bastards haven't seen shit, and they are still loyal.

    This fanbase is going to EXPLODE if we ever get this thing right.

    I live over 1,200 miles from Cleveland and we had over 100 people at our Browns Backer bar when we were 4-5, coming off that win against Baltimore and playing Cincinnati. By the end of the season it was just us 50 or so diehards again, but even that is impressive.

    I became a fan at a very young age, and Leroy Kelly and Bill Nelson were still playing. I was a teenager through the Kardiac Kids, and was in my early twenty's partying years through the Dawgpound era.

    I was thirty years old when we last won a playoff game in 1994 and now I am going to be fucking 50 this year.

    Twenty years with Nothing ... three of them with no damn team.

    My hat is off to all Browns fans, especially the old ones that stick with the team and the young ones that have blind faith that has never been rewarded.

    Our day is coming. And it is going to be SWEET,

    Did you read about the Steeler fan that suing the league because his 8-8 team didn't make the playoffs?

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-san-diego-chargers-nfl-playoffs-injunction-20140108,0,6127233.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    Let's all be glad we aren't Steeler fans. Damn glad

    Week 15 ... Browns eliminated from playoffs, five game losing streak, playing the Bears for absolutely nothing ... Steelers clinging to playoff hopes, playing division rival, first place Cincinnati:

    Browns Attendance: 71,513

    Steelers Attendance: 45,873

    Eat a dick, Pittsburgh.

    37634324b7c140522dc1999d88a5af38c7f9207a

  • @mike-h said:

    Could explain why McDaniels wasn't offered the job.

    he was offered it, but turned it down.

    YEP, that's how bad the state of affairs is in berea right now.

  • Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

  • Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

    @gftchris said:

    Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

    It is not ironic at all. Why should a leopard change its spots? That said, Randy should have plenty of money now that he sold the Browns.

    His problem there may very well be the same as his problem here was: Not being able to find the right person to run his team.

  • Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

    @gftchris said:

    Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

    Haha, Randy Lerner is a bitch.

  • @gftchris said:

    Just as an aside for you guys, i'm a supporter of the soccer team that Randy Lerner bought in England - and basically every fan is now calling for a new owner, someone who is interested, turns up to games and will put some money in; and that the reason we can't attract good players is because there's no ambition at the club.

    I thought some of you might like the irony in that 😛

    It is not ironic at all. Why should a leopard change its spots? That said, Randy should have plenty of money now that he sold the Browns.

    His problem there may very well be the same as his problem here was: Not being able to find the right person to run his team.

    @the-gipper said:

    It is not ironic at all. Why should a leopard change its spots? That said, Randy should have plenty of money now that he sold the Browns.

    His problem there may very well be the same as his problem here was: Not being able to find the right person to run his team.

    I think the big problem he had was the first guy he hired, he signed a load of players for big money on big wages that failed to perform. Since then we've basically been running at a loss and he's reluctant to put much more big money in. Plus there's the nature of the league - there's no parity involved, if you have lots of money, you're free to spend it how you want. He's a billionaire, sure, but only worth a couple of billion. The big kids on the block are worth hundreds of billions (one team is backed by the royal family of abu-dhabi) and think nothing of pumping in half a billion over 2 years.

  • @the-gipper said:

    It is not ironic at all. Why should a leopard change its spots? That said, Randy should have plenty of money now that he sold the Browns.

    His problem there may very well be the same as his problem here was: Not being able to find the right person to run his team.

    I think the big problem he had was the first guy he hired, he signed a load of players for big money on big wages that failed to perform. Since then we've basically been running at a loss and he's reluctant to put much more big money in. Plus there's the nature of the league - there's no parity involved, if you have lots of money, you're free to spend it how you want. He's a billionaire, sure, but only worth a couple of billion. The big kids on the block are worth hundreds of billions (one team is backed by the royal family of abu-dhabi) and think nothing of pumping in half a billion over 2 years.

    @gftchris said:

    I think the big problem he had was the first guy he hired, he signed a load of players for big money on big wages that failed to perform. Since then we've basically been running at a loss and he's reluctant to put much more big money in. Plus there's the nature of the league - there's no parity involved, if you have lots of money, you're free to spend it how you want. He's a billionaire, sure, but only worth a couple of billion. The big kids on the block are worth hundreds of billions (one team is backed by the royal family of abu-dhabi) and think nothing of pumping in half a billion over 2 years.

    That is how baseball is run here.

    To me, if Randy really wanted to get his soccer rocks off....and if he can't really compete in that league over there, then he should invest in the MLS here.....and put a team in Cleveland. He could be a big shot in that league, something he cannot apparently be in England.

  • jay gruden hired by the skins.

  • jay gruden hired by the skins.

    @miktoxic said:

    jay gruden hired by the skins.

    I wondered last year and this if he'd make a good coach for us, or if he's just benefiting from his name.

  • @canton-mike said:

    Damn near. I'm 67 & the Browns WERE one of the dominant teams in the 50s & 60s......UNTIL Modell. That's when it started downhill. They were also a very entertaining team many years later, but woeful since "the return". It's unfortunate you seem to have no GOOD memories.

    Mike...I may be old, but I'm sure as hell not dead!!

    Good stuff, Mike.

    Anyone that is old enough to have any memories of the Bernie Bernie Dawpound years knows how magical Cleveland is when it has a good football team.

    Some might be just old enough to remember the 94 team, and they at least have that.

    I really feel bad for the early 30's and under crowd, the poor bastards haven't seen shit, and they are still loyal.

    This fanbase is going to EXPLODE if we ever get this thing right.

    I live over 1,200 miles from Cleveland and we had over 100 people at our Browns Backer bar when we were 4-5, coming off that win against Baltimore and playing Cincinnati. By the end of the season it was just us 50 or so diehards again, but even that is impressive.

    I became a fan at a very young age, and Leroy Kelly and Bill Nelson were still playing. I was a teenager through the Kardiac Kids, and was in my early twenty's partying years through the Dawgpound era.

    I was thirty years old when we last won a playoff game in 1994 and now I am going to be fucking 50 this year.

    Twenty years with Nothing ... three of them with no damn team.

    My hat is off to all Browns fans, especially the old ones that stick with the team and the young ones that have blind faith that has never been rewarded.

    Our day is coming. And it is going to be SWEET,

    Did you read about the Steeler fan that suing the league because his 8-8 team didn't make the playoffs?

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-san-diego-chargers-nfl-playoffs-injunction-20140108,0,6127233.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    Let's all be glad we aren't Steeler fans. Damn glad

    Week 15 ... Browns eliminated from playoffs, five game losing streak, playing the Bears for absolutely nothing ... Steelers clinging to playoff hopes, playing division rival, first place Cincinnati:

    Browns Attendance: 71,513

    Steelers Attendance: 45,873

    Eat a dick, Pittsburgh.

    37634324b7c140522dc1999d88a5af38c7f9207a

    Zombo said:

    Did you read about the Steeler fan that suing the league because his 8-8 team didn't make the playoffs?

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baltimore-sports-blog/bal-san-diego-chargers-nfl-playoffs-injunction-20140108,0,6127233.story?track=rss&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

    Let's all be glad we aren't Steeler fans. Damn glad

    Wow that's sad. You can't tell since the court documents are scanned in black and white, but they are probably wrote in crayon.

    Good stuff from you too, Zombo.