Skip to content

McDaniels Withdraws From Coaching Candidacy

The Browns Board
65 30 3.2k
  • what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?

    wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @clevfan4life said:

    what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?

    wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.

    No kidding, it is for this reason that I've lost all faith in this FO. How could they not have someone lined up before firing Chud, and not realize that by firing him they would make the job less attractive to potential candidates? I think their best shot at this point is with a college coach who isn't as wired-in to the negativity surrounding the Browns or for a coordinator desperate for a shot at HC, which means it won't be some of the highly-touted coordinators out there.

    Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.

  • BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #7

    This is huge reflection on our FO. Haslam should take a long hard look at who he has at the top and see if personnel changes need to be made. If who he has at the top can't get the job done, just as they did Chud, so should Haslam also do to Banner and maybe Lombardi and show them the exit. This team has a very poor image and it needs to be fixed, I just don'e know if Banner and Lombardi are the one to do the job.

  • tml1138T tml1138 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    "And this would sadly end the hopes of a McDaniels-Tebow reunion in Cleveland, which would have been so perfect on so many levels."

    Is this supposed to be a dig, or was the writer serious?

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Honestly all this does for me is prove that McDaniels is a very very smart person. Let's be honet, he is a NE Ohio guy who grew up a Browns fan. While this could be considered his dream job, he is able to see what kind of situation he would be a getting into. He would have instantly be hated by fans because of his most recent blunder as HC and the fact he got hired because he is boys with the FO. He saw a few years and done situation and he just dodged it. I think in the right situation, where a team doesn't give him all the decision making via draft and FA, he could do well. In a decade me might get his dream job with the Browns, but in a clearly better situation.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I don't care where you're from or who you rooted for as a kid....The Cleveland Browns HC is no ones dream job.

  • Cbus BrownieC Cbus Brownie wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Soooooo..we settled last year for Chud after being turned down by our top 3. We fire Chud with noone lined up to take over, and start the process again - get turned down by our top 10 candidates and settle with some bum off the street. AWESOME.

    We just asked the fat ugly chick to prom, and she said no. Rock bottom guys.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #12

    I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.

  • what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?

    wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.

    C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @clevfan4life said:

    what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?

    wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.

    That's exactly what my first thought was too. To get rid of a guy after only one year had to mean there was a sure thing waiting out there.

    Logically, that would have been McDaniels with the connections, but who knows, it could be someone else we don't know about.

  • I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.

    BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.

    This has nothing to do with it.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.

    This has nothing to do with it.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @brownskidd said:

    This has nothing to do with it.

    I think you're wrong.

  • @brownskidd said:

    This has nothing to do with it.

    I think you're wrong.

    BrownsKiddB BrownsKidd wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I think you're wrong.

    Ok.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.

    This has nothing to do with it.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @brownskidd said:

    This has nothing to do with it.

    I agree. I told you guys weeks ago what I think the problem is. Nobody, and I mean nobody, that has any other options wants to work under the thumb of Joe Banner.

    WSS

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Of course, but Banner is Haslams man. Duh.

  • J jeffinwv wrote on last edited by
    #19

    I think Gruden or Cowher would be good choices!! LOLOLOLO

  • @clevfan4life said:

    what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?

    wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.

    No kidding, it is for this reason that I've lost all faith in this FO. How could they not have someone lined up before firing Chud, and not realize that by firing him they would make the job less attractive to potential candidates? I think their best shot at this point is with a college coach who isn't as wired-in to the negativity surrounding the Browns or for a coordinator desperate for a shot at HC, which means it won't be some of the highly-touted coordinators out there.

    Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #20

    @osiris said:

    Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.

    where's turner gonna find either one on the browns roster?

    like he didn't have that with rivers and tomlinson?

    i hope you are joking.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    This just proves NO ONE wants to work for Banner. I hope Haslem is taking notes and gets rid of Banner ASAP.

    Why would anyone want to be the coach here, when they have NO power at all. Banner didn't even let Chud hire his own assistants.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Sadly, if McDaniels' withdrawal is true (I didn't want him anyway), that leaves Haslams' FO the laughing stock of the NFL with practically ZERO credibility. Without firing both Banner & Lombardi immediately, it will take some lucky hiring (HC AND Assistants), a GREAT FA period & draft, and at least ONE playoff year to regain any sense of credibility & respect for Haslam.

    Jimmy, you're old enough to know "Perception is reality" & perception of you & your FO can't get much more negative. It's indeed unfortunate that you lacked the foresight to see this coming. MOST unfortunate is what you've done to the greatest Fans in the NFL. I DO have one favor to ask....When you hire the next HC, make sure it's a good one & then let him COACH HIS way!

    Excuse me, I must go order my 3 stooges T-shirt now.

    Mike

  • TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Why would anyone want that epic failure as our HC? I am so glad he withdrew. I don't believe for one minute he was the choice.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Apparently I'm a little late to order a 3 stooges T shirt. If anyone knows how I can get one, please let me know.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  • B bonedawg wrote on last edited by
    #25

    What a shit-show. I didn't want McDaniels anyway, but it is never a good look when people are turning down being considered for the job. No one with any credible head coaching experience is going to be interested in working under this FO. Maybe Banner should just coach the team if he thinks he knows so fucking much. The Browns are turning into the new Raiders right in front of our eyes.