McDaniels Withdraws From Coaching Candidacy
-
Whew, I can breathe a sigh of relief now. Lombardi, however, is probably curled in a fetal position under his desk with his thumb stuck in his mouth.Report: McDaniels withdraws name from Cleveland searchPosted by Darin Gantt on January 8, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
APUsually when college coaches start taking their name out of consideration for jobs, it means it’s been offered to someone else.
But while we don’t know if the Browns are close to making a hire, we do know who won’t be their next head coach.
According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has “withdrawn from consideration” for the job.
Many presumed McDaniels to be the front-runner, based on his relationship with Browns General Manager Mike Lombardi. And this would sadly end the hopes of a McDaniels-Tebow reunion in Cleveland, which would have been so perfect on so many levels.
But the Browns have cast a wide net in their search for Rob Chudzinski’s replacement, with college coaches joining some of the usual suspect coordinators and off-the-beaten-path position coaches (such as Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo) on their list.
-
-
-
Still a rumor. I would wait until an official statement has been made by McDaniels.
-
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
-
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
No kidding, it is for this reason that I've lost all faith in this FO. How could they not have someone lined up before firing Chud, and not realize that by firing him they would make the job less attractive to potential candidates? I think their best shot at this point is with a college coach who isn't as wired-in to the negativity surrounding the Browns or for a coordinator desperate for a shot at HC, which means it won't be some of the highly-touted coordinators out there.
Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.
-
This is huge reflection on our FO. Haslam should take a long hard look at who he has at the top and see if personnel changes need to be made. If who he has at the top can't get the job done, just as they did Chud, so should Haslam also do to Banner and maybe Lombardi and show them the exit. This team has a very poor image and it needs to be fixed, I just don'e know if Banner and Lombardi are the one to do the job.
-
-
Honestly all this does for me is prove that McDaniels is a very very smart person. Let's be honet, he is a NE Ohio guy who grew up a Browns fan. While this could be considered his dream job, he is able to see what kind of situation he would be a getting into. He would have instantly be hated by fans because of his most recent blunder as HC and the fact he got hired because he is boys with the FO. He saw a few years and done situation and he just dodged it. I think in the right situation, where a team doesn't give him all the decision making via draft and FA, he could do well. In a decade me might get his dream job with the Browns, but in a clearly better situation.
-
-
Soooooo..we settled last year for Chud after being turned down by our top 3. We fire Chud with noone lined up to take over, and start the process again - get turned down by our top 10 candidates and settle with some bum off the street. AWESOME.
We just asked the fat ugly chick to prom, and she said no. Rock bottom guys.
-
I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.
-
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
That's exactly what my first thought was too. To get rid of a guy after only one year had to mean there was a sure thing waiting out there.
Logically, that would have been McDaniels with the connections, but who knows, it could be someone else we don't know about.
-
I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.
I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.
This has nothing to do with it.
-
I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.
This has nothing to do with it.
This has nothing to do with it.
I think you're wrong.
-
This has nothing to do with it.
I think you're wrong.
I think you're wrong.
Ok.
-
I really think no one wants to coach here with the legal problems of the owner, etc. We will end up with Green Bay's Offensive Coordinator. Woopie.
This has nothing to do with it.
This has nothing to do with it.
I agree. I told you guys weeks ago what I think the problem is. Nobody, and I mean nobody, that has any other options wants to work under the thumb of Joe Banner.
WSS
-
Of course, but Banner is Haslams man. Duh.
-
I think Gruden or Cowher would be good choices!! LOLOLOLO
-
what this means is that he wasn't nailed down before the Chud firing, which makes the Chud firing that much more unacceptable. So it's just like last season now...they get turned down by their "guy", than hire the first guy that says yes?
wtf is going on in Cleveland guys? I mean seriously...at this point you have to wonder if they're trying to shitcan the organization. There is now zero excuse for firing a 1 year coach. At the very least Chud was a guy who had a history with the Browns and someone who grew up rooting for the Browns. That was a guy who would have stayed here for a long time and really tried to build something. This is shit now. This really is shit. My one holdout on the Chud firing was that they had their guy lying in wait. There is simply no excuse now for what's going on. Lombardi has to go.
No kidding, it is for this reason that I've lost all faith in this FO. How could they not have someone lined up before firing Chud, and not realize that by firing him they would make the job less attractive to potential candidates? I think their best shot at this point is with a college coach who isn't as wired-in to the negativity surrounding the Browns or for a coordinator desperate for a shot at HC, which means it won't be some of the highly-touted coordinators out there.
Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.
Wouldn't it be funny if they named Norv Turner an interim head coach? I wouldn't hate it, honestly. I'd like to see what he can do with a real QB and RB.
where's turner gonna find either one on the browns roster?
like he didn't have that with rivers and tomlinson?
i hope you are joking.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
