A Different Opinion on the Browns coaching search
-
I'm one that wasn't happy about Chud being fired. But that's done. Now, I'm glad that we are the last team standing without a HC. From a candidate standpoint, we've gone from the least favorable team to the most favorable team. All those candidates, and only one slot open......... The Browns get the pick of the remaining litter. A nice position to be in for guys that aspire to be a HC.
I'm one that wasn't happy about Chud being fired. But that's done. Now, I'm glad that we are the last team standing without a HC. From a candidate standpoint, we've gone from the least favorable team to the most favorable team. All those candidates, and only one slot open......... The Browns get the pick of the remaining litter. A nice position to be in for guys that aspire to be a HC.
1. We're now the only team, so we are both the least and most "favorable team".
2. You do know how litter picking works right?
Look... I agree on Chud and I'm moving on as well.
While I'm not shedding tears over missing out on some of the retreads that have landed jobs (McDaniels, Caldwell), others (Smith) were proven winners that would have brought their experience to bear. Same is true for the former assistant coaches who have signed on for their first, NFL, HC gig.
It's not so much that there are no good HC candidates left.... I'm sure there are. It's that the league-wide process of assembling new staffs is underway and any team, i.e., us, without a HC has to tread water until their new leader is on-board.
I definitely agree with putting a moratorium on coaching hires until after the Super Bowl, but the Browns may be a HUGE beneficiary of the current system this year. Let's HOPE!
How so, Mike?
the more i think about it, the more i think haslam is doing a jerry jones...
My greatest fear in a nutshell...
Two years of ownership... two HCs... (sarcasm alert) obviously Jimmy has brought the Pittsburgh model to Cleveland...

-
Wheter this is true or not remains to be seen but it does make me feel better about the whole situation, so there's that.
-
Saying we're the most desirable job in the NFL right now is true, I guess, but that doesn't count for the fact that 5 other teams have had their pick before us. Like in the draft - we might get who we actually want at #4, but to be sure of getting your guy you have to go up to number 1. Not feeling a lot better about the search after reading that, although I agree on an embargo until after the SB.
-
Gase was the Browns very first choice to interview. Seems quite convenient that he was the only one to turn down all interviews until after the Broncos season was over. Ideal scapegoat to employ while they are searching in a frenzy for a new coach and get turned down left and right.
Maybe just a conspiracy theory...but makes you wonder.
-
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
-
Good stuff, Z and a handful of better prospects than Gase...
Del Rio's "jib" made me imagine Haslam's want ad:
Wanted:
Hard nosed, NFL Coach for opportunity of a lifetime.
Must be a tough as nails, no nonsense, results oriented S.O.B. who knows how to do as he's told and not ask questions.
Experience is a plus unless it isn't (please come back, Josh)
-
I'm not convinced that the 49ers OC is someone worth going after - they've hardly been a juggernaut this year, just relying on D and a run game.
-
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
Zombo said:
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
All interesting. I do think Del Rio would be a good coach. He led the Jags fairly deep into the playoffs one year. I remember his team kicking the hell out of the Steelers in a playoff game. So, to me, sure, he would be a viable candidate.
-
How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.
-
The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.
The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.
I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.
-
The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.
I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.
I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.
I agree but I was also making the point that just because we haven't hired anyone yet doesn't mean we've really missed out on anything.
-
How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.
How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.
Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.
-
How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.
Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.
Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.
didn't he basically come within two fumbles in back to back years of the SB? Wasn't that the last time the Browns were considered an elite team in the NFL? I'd take losing AFC championship games in the final seconds over whatever the fuck this is that we've got now. Real talk
-
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
Zombo said:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
These would actually be my three top choices from the staffs that play this weekend.
No.4 would be Quinn
No.5 would be Del Rio
Glase ... seems like a guy that maybe isn't ready yet. Perhaps his next job should be running an offense that doesn't have Peyton Manning in it, before he is picked to run an entire team.
Risky. If he comes off as a punk to the veterans, then you have another Lane Kifflin/Josh McDaniels situation that blows up and you are back to square one.
Zombo
-
This is my guess of the whole Gase situation
Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)
He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"
Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC
And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC
Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"
Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)
So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"
I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO
-
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
Zombo said:
We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.
But maybe they are waiting to interview:
49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.
49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.
Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea
I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.
Zombo
--Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?
I like this list quite a bit. Unfortunately they have all been around enough and all have balls enough to not suck Banner or Lombardis dicks
-
This is my guess of the whole Gase situation
Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)
He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"
Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC
And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC
Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"
Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)
So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"
I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO
This is my guess of the whole Gase situation
Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)
He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"
Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC
And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC
Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"
Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)
So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"
I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO
Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.
-
This is my guess of the whole Gase situation
Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)
He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"
Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC
And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC
Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"
Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)
So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"
I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO
Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.
Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.
Only because people have gotten into a bad habit of equating quarterback greatness with ring totals. Even though the QB only plays half the snaps, has no control over the defense or special teams, has 53 teammates who can single-handidly lose a game with blown coverage, bad tackle, dropped ball, missed kick, etc., and then you have to take into consideration coaching staffs, which are a big, big, part of the NFL game.
Peyton Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.
He is the best QB I have ever seen in 40+ years of watching football ... and it's not really that close.
Zombo
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login