Skip to content

A Different Opinion on the Browns coaching search

The Browns Board
67 27 2.6k
  • We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.

    But maybe they are waiting to interview:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.

    Zombo

    --Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Zombo said:

    We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.

    But maybe they are waiting to interview:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.

    Zombo

    --Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?

    All interesting. I do think Del Rio would be a good coach. He led the Jags fairly deep into the playoffs one year. I remember his team kicking the hell out of the Steelers in a playoff game. So, to me, sure, he would be a viable candidate.

  • bigbaddawgjrB bigbaddawgjr wrote on last edited by
    #26

    How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #27

    The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.

  • The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by D Bone
    #28

    @mark-o said:

    The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.

    I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.

  • @mark-o said:

    The only guy who has been hired that I am disappointed we didn't even consider is Lovie Smith. I think he got a raw deal in Chicago and will do well in Tampa with that team.

    I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @d-bone said:

    I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.

    I agree but I was also making the point that just because we haven't hired anyone yet doesn't mean we've really missed out on anything.

  • How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @bigbaddawgjr said:

    How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

    Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.

  • @bigbaddawgjr said:

    How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

    Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @nickers said:

    Marty is a loser who never learns from his cardninal mistake of playing Prevent defense,ensuring his demise in the post season.

    didn't he basically come within two fumbles in back to back years of the SB? Wasn't that the last time the Browns were considered an elite team in the NFL? I'd take losing AFC championship games in the final seconds over whatever the fuck this is that we've got now. Real talk

  • We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.

    But maybe they are waiting to interview:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.

    Zombo

    --Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Zombo said:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    These would actually be my three top choices from the staffs that play this weekend.

    No.4 would be Quinn

    No.5 would be Del Rio

    Glase ... seems like a guy that maybe isn't ready yet. Perhaps his next job should be running an offense that doesn't have Peyton Manning in it, before he is picked to run an entire team.

    Risky. If he comes off as a punk to the veterans, then you have another Lane Kifflin/Josh McDaniels situation that blows up and you are back to square one.

    Zombo

  • BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by BrownB499
    #33

    This is my guess of the whole Gase situation

    Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)

    He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"

    Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC

    And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC

    Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"

    Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)

    So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"

    I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO

  • We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.

    But maybe they are waiting to interview:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.

    Zombo

    --Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Zombo said:

    We are assuming they are waiting for Glase (or some still think McDaniels) or even Quinn because those are the names that the media has bandied about.

    But maybe they are waiting to interview:

    49ers OC Greg Roman: John Carroll Grad has has guided SF's offense to three straight NFC Championships with two different QBs with completely different styles.

    49ers DC Vic Fangio Niners suddenly became a defensive force when he entered the scene, has worked for both Harbaughs. Harbaughs win.

    Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell: At 44, he has already been an OC in the league since 2006 and worked with successful offenses in GB, Min and Sea

    I think all three of these guys are at least interview-worthy.

    Zombo

    --Or maybe Jimmy likes the cut of the cut of the jib of Broncos DC Jack Del Rio and thinks he deserves a second chance?

    I like this list quite a bit. Unfortunately they have all been around enough and all have balls enough to not suck Banner or Lombardis dicks

  • This is my guess of the whole Gase situation

    Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)

    He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"

    Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC

    And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC

    Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"

    Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)

    So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"

    I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @brownb499 said:

    This is my guess of the whole Gase situation

    Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)

    He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"

    Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC

    And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC

    Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"

    Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)

    So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"

    I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO

    Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.

  • @brownb499 said:

    This is my guess of the whole Gase situation

    Sometime during the season Haslam lost all confidence in Chuds ability to turn this thing around...for arguments sake let's say it was the Jet's game...Sitting in his office pissed off watching the Broncos game(They played every single day on national TV this season....well it seemed like it!)

    He says to himself "Hey I know Peyton,I'll just ring him and see how he likes this kid that's coaching him"

    Peyton ofcourse blows smoke right up Jimmys ass thinking Haslam's looking for a new OC...not HC

    And there's no way this kids leaving as Denver's OC to become the Browns OC

    Jimmy then meets with Banner and tells him "We're firing Chud the dud cause I found me a real coach"

    Problem is Manning now realizes what JH is up to and Peyton has something a little more important going on right now(Like winning a super bowl and claiming his place as the best there ever was)

    So Peyton has now circled the wagons in Denver and won't let any distraction in until "Mission is Accomplished"

    I just don't believe Gase has any intention of leaving the job he has...right now JMO

    Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @the-gipper said:

    Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.

    Only because people have gotten into a bad habit of equating quarterback greatness with ring totals. Even though the QB only plays half the snaps, has no control over the defense or special teams, has 53 teammates who can single-handidly lose a game with blown coverage, bad tackle, dropped ball, missed kick, etc., and then you have to take into consideration coaching staffs, which are a big, big, part of the NFL game.

    Peyton Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.

    He is the best QB I have ever seen in 40+ years of watching football ... and it's not really that close.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    Only one flaw in your commentary.....even if Peyton wins he will not be considered the best there ever was. He won't even pass the guy on the other side of the ball on Sunday.

    Only because people have gotten into a bad habit of equating quarterback greatness with ring totals. Even though the QB only plays half the snaps, has no control over the defense or special teams, has 53 teammates who can single-handidly lose a game with blown coverage, bad tackle, dropped ball, missed kick, etc., and then you have to take into consideration coaching staffs, which are a big, big, part of the NFL game.

    Peyton Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.

    He is the best QB I have ever seen in 40+ years of watching football ... and it's not really that close.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #37

    Zombo said:

    Only because people have gotten into a bad habit of equating quarterback greatness with ring totals. Even though the QB only plays half the snaps, has no control over the defense or special teams, has 53 teammates who can single-handidly lose a game with blown coverage, bad tackle, dropped ball, missed kick, etc., and then you have to take into consideration coaching staffs, which are a big, big, part of the NFL game.

    Peyton Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.

    He is the best QB I have ever seen in 40+ years of watching football ... and it's not really that close.

    Zombo

    No. As good as Peyton is, Brady is better. Brady has not played nearly with the WR talent that Peyton has. He makes players around him much better. He gets more out of less than Peyton does.

    His winning record speaks for itself....

    I guess we could go on and on and not convince each other.

    (But as far as 40 years.....I may also have to put Montana perhaps above them both, all things considered)

  • @d-bone said:

    I couldn't agree more Mark. I'm betting that from this season on, Tampa will be a tough, well disciplined team that will compete for its division, year in and year out..........Naaaaa, we didn't need to talk to him.

    I agree but I was also making the point that just because we haven't hired anyone yet doesn't mean we've really missed out on anything.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @mark-o said:

    I agree but I was also making the point that just because we haven't hired anyone yet doesn't mean we've really missed out on anything.

    Also agree on Lovie, but it's not just the HC candidates that we are missing out on...

    Coordinators and position coaches are "flying off of the shelves" now.

  • Zombo said:

    Only because people have gotten into a bad habit of equating quarterback greatness with ring totals. Even though the QB only plays half the snaps, has no control over the defense or special teams, has 53 teammates who can single-handidly lose a game with blown coverage, bad tackle, dropped ball, missed kick, etc., and then you have to take into consideration coaching staffs, which are a big, big, part of the NFL game.

    Peyton Manning is a better QB than Tom Brady.

    He is the best QB I have ever seen in 40+ years of watching football ... and it's not really that close.

    Zombo

    No. As good as Peyton is, Brady is better. Brady has not played nearly with the WR talent that Peyton has. He makes players around him much better. He gets more out of less than Peyton does.

    His winning record speaks for itself....

    I guess we could go on and on and not convince each other.

    (But as far as 40 years.....I may also have to put Montana perhaps above them both, all things considered)

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @the-gipper said:

    No. As good as Peyton is, Brady is better. Brady has not played nearly with the WR talent that Peyton has. He makes players around him much better. He gets more out of less than Peyton does.

    His winning record speaks for itself....

    I guess we could go on and on and not convince each other.

    (But as far as 40 years.....I may also have to put Montana perhaps above them both, all things considered)

    Do you think Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne would have been considered great if they were drafted by a team like the Browns that never had a QB?

    Were these guys on the Broncos lighting it up before Manning got there?

    Manning could take your team and beat his team with it.

    Brady is 148-43 (.774) as a starter, which is phenomenal, but Manning is 167-73 (.696), and if you throw out his rookie year (3-13) he is (.732) which is almost as phenomenal.

    Manning went to the Super Bowl with two different coaches (about to be three) and has seasons of 13 wins or more with four different coaches, while Brady has played for only one coach, widely believed to be the greatest coach alive by many.

    Completion Percentage: Manning 65.5 Brady 63.4

    Yard per attempt: Manning 7.7 Brady 7.5

    Touchdown percentage: Manning 5.8 Brady 5.5

    QB Rating: Manning 97.2 Brady 95.7

    Sack percentage: Manning 3.1 Brady 5.0

    Your favorite productivity stat, AV: Manning 254 Brady 190

    NFL MVPs: Manning 5 Brady 2

    1st team All Pro: Manning 7 Brady 2

    Brady has played with a Top Ten defense 10 times (Belichick knows a thing or two there) Manning just 6 times in three more seasons.

  • @the-gipper said:

    No. As good as Peyton is, Brady is better. Brady has not played nearly with the WR talent that Peyton has. He makes players around him much better. He gets more out of less than Peyton does.

    His winning record speaks for itself....

    I guess we could go on and on and not convince each other.

    (But as far as 40 years.....I may also have to put Montana perhaps above them both, all things considered)

    Do you think Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne would have been considered great if they were drafted by a team like the Browns that never had a QB?

    Were these guys on the Broncos lighting it up before Manning got there?

    Manning could take your team and beat his team with it.

    Brady is 148-43 (.774) as a starter, which is phenomenal, but Manning is 167-73 (.696), and if you throw out his rookie year (3-13) he is (.732) which is almost as phenomenal.

    Manning went to the Super Bowl with two different coaches (about to be three) and has seasons of 13 wins or more with four different coaches, while Brady has played for only one coach, widely believed to be the greatest coach alive by many.

    Completion Percentage: Manning 65.5 Brady 63.4

    Yard per attempt: Manning 7.7 Brady 7.5

    Touchdown percentage: Manning 5.8 Brady 5.5

    QB Rating: Manning 97.2 Brady 95.7

    Sack percentage: Manning 3.1 Brady 5.0

    Your favorite productivity stat, AV: Manning 254 Brady 190

    NFL MVPs: Manning 5 Brady 2

    1st team All Pro: Manning 7 Brady 2

    Brady has played with a Top Ten defense 10 times (Belichick knows a thing or two there) Manning just 6 times in three more seasons.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Zombo said:

    Do you think Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne would have been considered great if they were drafted by a team like the Browns that never had a QB?

    Don't know. Too hypothetical. Maybe. They were better than what Brady has had for most of his career.

    Were these guys on the Broncos lighting it up before Manning got there?

    Yea, kinda, hell, they made Tim Tebow look decent.

    Manning could take your team and beat his team with it.

    So could Brady, even easier.

    Brady is 148-43 (.774) as a starter, which is phenomenal, but Manning is 167-73 (.696), and if you throw out his rookie year (3-13) he is (.732) which is almost as phenomenal.

    But....not quite as good.

    Manning went to the Super Bowl with two different coaches (about to be three) and has seasons of 13 wins or more with four different coaches, while Brady has played for only one coached, widely believed to be the greatest coach alive by many.

    He was considered a flop here. He may have been a flop there but for Brady.

    Completion Percentage: Manning 65.5 Brady 63.4

    Yard per attempt: Manning 7.7 Brady 7.5

    Touchdown percentage: Manning 5.8 Brady 5.5

    QB Rating: Manning 97.2 Brady 95.7

    Sack percentage: Manning 3.1 Brady 5.0

    Your favorite productivity stat, AV: Manning 254 Brady 190

    NFL MVPs: Manning 5 Brady 2

    1st team All Pro: Manning 7 Brady 2

    A lot of those are real close. I suspect that there are an equal number of stats if I wanted to check it out in which Brady would be ahead.

    (and we won't bring up those SB wins and appearances stats)

    Brady has played with a Top Ten defense 10 times (Belichick knows a thing or two there) Manning just 6 times in three more seasons.

    You want a QB to win you a game? If you take Peyton and I take Brady, I like my chances. 😉

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #41
    You want a QB to win you a game? If you take Peyton and I take Brady, I like my chances

    How convenient. They both want to win a game 3:00 Sunday.

    Zombo

    **For the record, Denver was 31st in pass offense the year before Manning ... #1 Now.

    ***Also for the record, that "flop" Belichick started off slow, but he had the Browns in the playoffs at 11-5 the year before Art pulled the rug. He also went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

  • How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @bigbaddawgjr said:

    How about bringing back some history. Bring back Marty ball. Marty was a good coach just could not get us pass the playoffs, but I would love to be in the playoffs again.

    i'd bring him back in a second if he wasn't 80 yers old.

    talk about dying on the job.

  • You want a QB to win you a game? If you take Peyton and I take Brady, I like my chances

    How convenient. They both want to win a game 3:00 Sunday.

    Zombo

    **For the record, Denver was 31st in pass offense the year before Manning ... #1 Now.

    ***Also for the record, that "flop" Belichick started off slow, but he had the Browns in the playoffs at 11-5 the year before Art pulled the rug. He also went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #43

    Zombo said:

    How convenient. They both want to win a game 3:00 Sunday.

    Mano y mano. I guess we shall see how it goes.

    Zombo

    **For the record, Denver was 31st in pass offense the year before Manning ... #1 Now.

    ***Also for the record, that "flop" Belichick started off slow, but he had the Browns in the playoffs at 11-5 the year before Art pulled the rug. He also went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

    BB had one winning season with the Browns...and 4 losing seasons with Bernie and Vinny.

    Montana won with both Walsh and Seifert....and had another good chance with Marty. So I am still inclined to put him in there

    Plus, lets put it this way: If you took Otto Graham and Joe Montana and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Johnny Unitas and said scramble these up any way you like, I think I would be eating some really good eggs.

  • Zombo said:

    How convenient. They both want to win a game 3:00 Sunday.

    Mano y mano. I guess we shall see how it goes.

    Zombo

    **For the record, Denver was 31st in pass offense the year before Manning ... #1 Now.

    ***Also for the record, that "flop" Belichick started off slow, but he had the Browns in the playoffs at 11-5 the year before Art pulled the rug. He also went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.

    BB had one winning season with the Browns...and 4 losing seasons with Bernie and Vinny.

    Montana won with both Walsh and Seifert....and had another good chance with Marty. So I am still inclined to put him in there

    Plus, lets put it this way: If you took Otto Graham and Joe Montana and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Johnny Unitas and said scramble these up any way you like, I think I would be eating some really good eggs.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @the-gipper said:

    BB had one winning season with the Browns...and 4 losing seasons with Bernie and Vinny.

    Montana won with both Walsh and Seifert....and had another good chance with Marty. So I am still inclined to put him in there

    Plus, lets put it this way: If you took Otto Graham and Joe Montana and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and Johnny Unitas and said scramble these up any way you like, I think I would be eating some really good eggs.

    I think Bellichik is a good coach. It's too hard to say otherwise.

    New England also has a knack for taking high risk players and settling them down. Like, Blount for example. Bellichik definitely has something to do with that.