Skip to content

Hoyer Starting QB 2014

The Browns Board
37 22 1.6k
  • React? With joy? Yes i agree. Yes i do remember Holcomb who was 4-8 in his starts and proved he wasn't the guy. Hoyer has yet to prove himself i agree, but the guy did go 2-0 before he got hurt... so does this mean he doesn't get a chance to prove himself cause Holcomb didn't turn out? I suppose throwing in a rookie who was good in college is a better option? Its worked out great for the browns so far... I mean look at all the winning seasons we've had with that way of thinking. What does "hasn't proven himself yet after 2 starts" mean anyway? Was he supposed to have us a superbowl trophy after 2 starts and 2 wins? The guy could read a defense, get rid of the ball quick, hit people running in stride and more. My eyes must be playing tricks on me cause the guy played good football and everyone just says screw him i want a rookie who hasn't proven anything in the NFL to start from day 1. Just cause sitting Brady Quinn didn't work out to well doesn't mean its a bad thing to do, it just means it didn't work for him.

    @j0hnnybg00d said:

    React? With joy? Yes i agree. Yes i do remember Holcomb who was 4-8 in his starts and proved he wasn't the guy. Hoyer has yet to prove himself i agree, but the guy did go 2-0 before he got hurt... so does this mean he doesn't get a chance to prove himself cause Holcomb didn't turn out? I suppose throwing in a rookie who was good in college is a better option? Its worked out great for the browns so far... I mean look at all the winning seasons we've had with that way of thinking. What does "hasn't proven himself yet after 2 starts" mean anyway? Was he supposed to have us a superbowl trophy after 2 starts and 2 wins? The guy could read a defense, get rid of the ball quick, hit people running in stride and more. My eyes must be playing tricks on me cause the guy played good football and everyone just says screw him i want a rookie who hasn't proven anything in the NFL to start from day 1. Just cause sitting Brady Quinn didn't work out to well doesn't mean its a bad thing to do, it just means it didn't work for him.

    Calm the fuck down.

  • @j0hnnybg00d said:

    React? With joy? Yes i agree. Yes i do remember Holcomb who was 4-8 in his starts and proved he wasn't the guy. Hoyer has yet to prove himself i agree, but the guy did go 2-0 before he got hurt... so does this mean he doesn't get a chance to prove himself cause Holcomb didn't turn out? I suppose throwing in a rookie who was good in college is a better option? Its worked out great for the browns so far... I mean look at all the winning seasons we've had with that way of thinking. What does "hasn't proven himself yet after 2 starts" mean anyway? Was he supposed to have us a superbowl trophy after 2 starts and 2 wins? The guy could read a defense, get rid of the ball quick, hit people running in stride and more. My eyes must be playing tricks on me cause the guy played good football and everyone just says screw him i want a rookie who hasn't proven anything in the NFL to start from day 1. Just cause sitting Brady Quinn didn't work out to well doesn't mean its a bad thing to do, it just means it didn't work for him.

    Calm the fuck down.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Calm the fuck down.

    Lol i'm as calm as a browns fan can be... dam it i just want a winning season so i can shut these fuc*ing stooler fans up, i'm surrounded by them here in hellhole pa.

  • God I hope the stooges know what theyre doing, I dont know how many more wasted seasons I can take....

  • The guy damn sure earned the opportunity to be given a fair shot at the job. I don't know why but he is the first QB I have watched since they came back where I didn't literally hold my breath on every pass. I honestly believe he has that intangible "it". I enjoyed the games I watched him play this year immensely.

    The sad thing is that our FO will act obligated to start the new guy if they draft someone in the top 10. I believe they should still start whoever shows better in the offseason.

  • Hoyer has earned the right to start, at least initially, but I'm pretty sure it will not be given to him. It was only 2 games, but he showed leadership & the Team performed at a higher level around him. Who knows whether or not that will continue, but we'll see. I am an advocate of drafting a QB with pick 1A, but I am NOT an advocate of throwing a rookie out there game 1. IF the pick is a good one, we should be better off with our 1st & 2nd stringers than before. That's a plus. Now we'll just wait & see what the ??? making the decisions get done.

    Mike

  • New coaches, so hopefully there will be a real competition for the starting job. Assuming at least one of the competitors will be a rookie, I would think, if healthy, he'd have a good shot of starting.

  • I love Hoys, thought he was going to take us to the promise land until "the slide". One thing you idiots are overlooking is his rehab. Not everyone has an AP type of rebound from an ACL. It's a total toss-up, he could have freakin noodle leg for all we know, or half the agility he had - see RGIII. Hoys coming back and picing up where he left off by preseason is a major roll of the dice, that's why I'm convinced this FO will get a QB with our #1. The rookie and Hoys will battle it out and hopefully we keep Campbell on board. And get Weetard as far away from this franchise as possible, right now.

  • I love Hoys, thought he was going to take us to the promise land until "the slide". One thing you idiots are overlooking is his rehab. Not everyone has an AP type of rebound from an ACL. It's a total toss-up, he could have freakin noodle leg for all we know, or half the agility he had - see RGIII. Hoys coming back and picing up where he left off by preseason is a major roll of the dice, that's why I'm convinced this FO will get a QB with our #1. The rookie and Hoys will battle it out and hopefully we keep Campbell on board. And get Weetard as far away from this franchise as possible, right now.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    I love Hoys, thought he was going to take us to the promise land until "the slide". One thing you idiots are overlooking is his rehab. Not everyone has an AP type of rebound from an ACL. It's a total toss-up, he could have freakin noodle leg for all we know, or half the agility he had - see RGIII. Hoys coming back and picing up where he left off by preseason is a major roll of the dice, that's why I'm convinced this FO will get a QB with our #1. The rookie and Hoys will battle it out and hopefully we keep Campbell on board. And get Weetard as far away from this franchise as possible, right now.

    He shouldnt have any problems with his knee, it was a slight tear, not a complete tear. I just dont want to put all our eggs in Hoyers basket either.
  • so draft bortles @4 see who is better in camp and preseason and there ya go. campbell might even out play the rookie so let him sit and learn.

    but as someone else said above the team of banner and lombardi and their huge egos might have to prove their worthiness and start the rookie (whoever it is) no matter who looks better.

    good luck with that.

  • Don't have to worry about putting all our eggs in Hoyers basket, they will definately get a QB in the draft and will probably start him. I also doubt Hoyer or Campbell even get looked at in practice. I've lost faith in letting the QB's battle for the 1 position cause of the whole Weedone bullshit. This is a browns team that started Weedone over both Hoyer and Campbell, wtf.

  • so draft bortles @4 see who is better in camp and preseason and there ya go. campbell might even out play the rookie so let him sit and learn.

    but as someone else said above the team of banner and lombardi and their huge egos might have to prove their worthiness and start the rookie (whoever it is) no matter who looks better.

    good luck with that.

    @miktoxic said:

    so draft bortles @4 see who is better in camp and preseason and there ya go. campbell might even out play the rookie so let him sit and learn.

    but as someone else said above the team of banner and lombardi and their huge egos might have to prove their worthiness and start the rookie (whoever it is) no matter who looks better.

    good luck with that.

    Sure. If Hoyer doesn't pan out then we have a guy sitting on the bench.

    I have no qualms with that, except IDC if it's bortles, manziel, bridgewater, carr. Just draft someone to compete for the spot.

  • If this happens?

    React!!!

    @represent said:

    If this happens?

    React!!!

    React to what exactly? That it may be the best decision to see if 2013 wasn't a fluke? His qbr compares favorably to Staffort & Tannehill. What's wrong letting the super dud (I'm counting on ya, Lobotomy to screw the pick up) to show we drafted another Brandon Weeden.

  • Home opener.Third quarter. Brown's trailing 27-3. Hoyer has given up 3 picks. The crowd is screaming give us Barabbas!

    Gase starts looking for a new job.

    WSS

  • My take on Hoyer starting; well, I would like to see how he comes back from the injury. Can he move as well as he could before? Will the injury make him shy of taking hits? Can he still make plays with his feat and remain a dual threat?

    I would wait to see the answers to these questions before anointing him the starter. But, that said, if he checks out with the doctors I would most certainly see what he's got. I think that if he continues along the path he was on before the injury he could be really good for us for a couple years. He's getting close to Weedens age and although I wouldn't mind him staying for the rest of his career, we do need to find the future soon, the sooner the better.

    I would select Derek Carr and Sammy Watkins. Whatever it takes to get it done, whatever picks it takes, do it!

    This way you can Start Hoyer on Day 1 and groom Carr for the future. Hoyer would be as good a mentor as you could ask for. You could give Hoyer all the WR help he could need with Gordon and Watkins, Benjamin and Cameron. If Hoyer doesn't pan work out then you've got Carr in the wings. I also think of the 4 top QBs coming out, Carr would be the one who would take to being groomed the best- He's a team guy and less about "Me, Me, Me".

    As far as Hoyer. He's a keeper, at worse he is a great backup as we saw last year, stepped in and won two straight. You can't ask from anything more than that in a backup.

  • We need to package Hoyer and Weeden in the offseason in a trade for a 3rd rounder. Grab two young QB's in the Draft. Use our two 1st round picks. Fresh start for the fans!!

  • We need to package Hoyer and Weeden in the offseason in a trade for a 3rd rounder. Grab two young QB's in the Draft. Use our two 1st round picks. Fresh start for the fans!!

    Who the fuck is going to give up a 3rd rounder for Hoys coming off an ACL, an unknown, and Weetard? Weetard is a practice squad QB at best. We do need a greasy start, that's for sure, but this isn't a good idea. At all.

    @lbc-mike said:

    We need to package Hoyer and Weeden in the offseason in a trade for a 3rd rounder. Grab two young QB's in the Draft. Use our two 1st round picks. Fresh start for the fans!!

  • If Hoyer is the QB that means that the Browns will be in good shape.

    Why? Because the best thing will have occurred:

    The Browns draft included a QB prospect that will be learning the job of an NFL QB before being thrust onto the field before he's ready. This may be Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, Carr, Boyd, Smith, McCarron, Fales, Garoppolo, Wenning, Shaw, Mathews, Murray, or anyone else. From my perspective they are all prospects; I don't see a legitimate Week 1 starter in the bunch.

    Bottom line - Hoyer IS a legitimate NFL QB. Not a great one. Not a bad one. But one that can run an offense effectively and win ballgames. This is an important ability that no other Browns QB has exhibited for, arguably, 15+ years. Hoyer can pilot the Browns through the 2014 season, win 8+ games, and prevent the newly drafted kid from being thrust into the starting role and getting psychologically wrecked. I'd rather see the Browns draft a Tom Brady - a guy who is drafted and sits until he proves that he's better than the starter - than a

  • Home opener.Third quarter. Brown's trailing 27-3. Hoyer has given up 3 picks. The crowd is screaming give us Barabbas!

    Gase starts looking for a new job.

    WSS

    Hoyer in 2014 is fine by me...

    @westside-steve said:

    Home opener.Third quarter. Brown's trailing 27-3. Hoyer has given up 3 picks. The crowd is screaming give us Barabbas!

    Barabbas? What school? 🙂

    @suomi said:

    .... and sits until he proves that he's better than the starter - than a

    Than a???

    C'mon, man,.... the suspense is killing me...

  • Who the fuck is going to give up a 3rd rounder for Hoys coming off an ACL, an unknown, and Weetard? Weetard is a practice squad QB at best. We do need a greasy start, that's for sure, but this isn't a good idea. At all.

    @lbc-mike said:

    We need to package Hoyer and Weeden in the offseason in a trade for a 3rd rounder. Grab two young QB's in the Draft. Use our two 1st round picks. Fresh start for the fans!!

    @cbus-brownie said:

    Who the fuck is going to give up a 3rd rounder for Hoys coming off an ACL, an unknown, and Weetard? Weetard is a practice squad QB at best. We do need a greasy start, that's for sure, but this isn't a good idea. At all.

    You missed the memo.

  • My take on Hoyer starting; well, I would like to see how he comes back from the injury. Can he move as well as he could before? Will the injury make him shy of taking hits? Can he still make plays with his feat and remain a dual threat?

    I would wait to see the answers to these questions before anointing him the starter. But, that said, if he checks out with the doctors I would most certainly see what he's got. I think that if he continues along the path he was on before the injury he could be really good for us for a couple years. He's getting close to Weedens age and although I wouldn't mind him staying for the rest of his career, we do need to find the future soon, the sooner the better.

    I would select Derek Carr and Sammy Watkins. Whatever it takes to get it done, whatever picks it takes, do it!

    This way you can Start Hoyer on Day 1 and groom Carr for the future. Hoyer would be as good a mentor as you could ask for. You could give Hoyer all the WR help he could need with Gordon and Watkins, Benjamin and Cameron. If Hoyer doesn't pan work out then you've got Carr in the wings. I also think of the 4 top QBs coming out, Carr would be the one who would take to being groomed the best- He's a team guy and less about "Me, Me, Me".

    As far as Hoyer. He's a keeper, at worse he is a great backup as we saw last year, stepped in and won two straight. You can't ask from anything more than that in a backup.

    @poeticg said:

    My take on Hoyer starting; well, I would like to see how he comes back from the injury. Can he move as well as he could before? Will the injury make him shy of taking hits? Can he still make plays with his feat and remain a dual threat?

    I would wait to see the answers to these questions before anointing him the starter. But, that said, if he checks out with the doctors I would most certainly see what he's got. I think that if he continues along the path he was on before the injury he could be really good for us for a couple years. He's getting close to Weedens age and although I wouldn't mind him staying for the rest of his career, we do need to find the future soon, the sooner the better.

    I would select Derek Carr and Sammy Watkins. Whatever it takes to get it done, whatever picks it takes, do it!

    This way you can Start Hoyer on Day 1 and groom Carr for the future. Hoyer would be as good a mentor as you could ask for. You could give Hoyer all the WR help he could need with Gordon and Watkins, Benjamin and Cameron. If Hoyer doesn't pan work out then you've got Carr in the wings. I also think of the 4 top QBs coming out, Carr would be the one who would take to being groomed the best- He's a team guy and less about "Me, Me, Me".

    As far as Hoyer. He's a keeper, at worse he is a great backup as we saw last year, stepped in and won two straight. You can't ask from anything more than that in a backup.

    What, I actually agree with you!?!?

    Except for the whatever picks it takes. If we can't get Watkins and Carr with the picks we already have we failed.

    Carr should fall to 26. Not many QB hungry teams out there.