Skip to content

David Cutcliffe?

The Browns Board
5 3 493
  • I did a quick search on these forums, and I don't see where this guy has been mentioned much, if at all. I don't know his contract situation or his stance on moving to the pros, but this guy seems really impressive to me. Plus, he seems like he's got some idea how to build a team (a college team, at least) from scratch.

    Now, I know he's got no pro experience, but, honestly, Gase doesn't have that much. Cutcliffe also seems pretty well-respected by some notable NFL parties. His success at Duke has been incredible, especially considering how short a time it has been since they were a complete disaster. What's more, while he's given the Duke football program a little boost, it's still only the Duke football program. It wouldn't be like the Browns were trying to lure him away from a historical and/or current college football powerhouse.

    What do you guys think? What do you know about this guy? Are there factors that make this impossible (i.e. he refuses to leave Duke or the NCAA; he can't leave due to contractual reasons, etc.)?

  • He did wonders for that Duke football program.

    But there's no indication he wants to leave.

  • He's got the Manning connenction that everyone says Jimmy savors ... I, too, am surprised it never came up.

    Zombo

  • Right, a longer and possibly stronger Manning connection than Gase. While there's no indication he wants to leave Duke, that doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't or wouldn't. I mean, it's entirely possible that he's not interested in leaving Duke, leaving the NCAA, or coming to Cleveland, but has anyone even asked?

  • Lol, obviously we aren't privy to the entire Browns hiring process, but I've not even really heard this guy mentioned as a possibility by the media. Everyone's got their list of possible names, even including plenty of coaches who we now know aren't interviewing or didn't even interview. Yet, this guy's name seems absent from the conversation at all. As far as I can tell, no one even brings it up in order to shoot it down. It seems like someone somewhere would have at least considered it. I'd expect to see something to the effect of "The Browns also considered Duke coach David Cutcliffe, who was reportedly not interested in leaving his current position" or "Among the list of coaches the Browns might end up considering in their search are:

    1. ." Even outside of the Browns, I see a few articles that talk about the possibility of Cutcliffe being invited to coach in the NFL, and none of them seem to indicate that he's not interested or that he's even been approached yet.