Skip to content

"It's a passing league"

The Browns Board
148 24 4.0k
  • @tml1138 said:

    Wilson and Kaepernick struggled with the teams they are on now. I didn't see much of anything in the NFC Championship game that made me think they are a lock for long-term franchise QBs. Of course this has only been year 2 for both of them as starting QBs.

    That being said, with the current Browns team plus a Kaep/Wilson type QB (and an RB that is at least capable), everyone will be happy ecstatic if in their first two years they go to the playoffs one year and a SB appearance the other. But defense needs to seriously step up their game too.

    The other option is to find a Peyton, Brady, Luck in the draft. (And here would still need a serviceable RB.)

    My question for the long run: Peytons, Bradys, Lucks are long term solutions. How will teams with a Kaep or Wilson or stay relevant in comparison? Will they go to the playoffs year after year and maybe win a SB or two within a decade? Or will it be a fast and furious five year plan? I might be generous going five years even.

    I might be living in the past with my preference for pocket passers. Somebody show me that drafting a Kaep, Wilson, RGIII (i.e. Manziel) is the answer, beyond a couple blazing years. It would be a fun ride for sure, but I'd rather have relevance for 10-12 years with a couple Championships in the mix.

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity. Manning and Brady may be the last of that genre. I'll take a Kapernic or a Wilson good @ 4- Manziel is not either of them. He might (possibly) have the passing ability, but IMHO he doesn't have the frame to stay healthy if he takes off running on a consistent basis.

    Yeah- so how about Bortles @ 4, and Tre Mason with the second first rounder? I can even live with Watkins, and then Carr or Mason, and\or take Garrapolo in the second round. IMHO a stud run blocking OG should be high on the Browns shopping list- Pinkston and Lavaou suck.

  • @miktoxic said:

    wasn't the name of this thread intended to start a discussion on whether or not the league is now considered a 'passing league'?

    w/o lynch the seahawks don't even make the playoffs. w/o blount last week and an 'inept franchise QB' on the other side of the ball the pats don't make it to yesterday's game. gore will be 30 and if san fran doesn't find a replacement work-horse back they'll prob be out next year. denver, well i won't even discuss the running game since manning is the only legit leader of the opposite of a running game being important.

    it's all about balance, good D and good offense that can stretch the field when needed and can also pound it up the middle to get in the endzone when you are first and goal on the 2.

    Without Brady, the Pats don't make it to any Super Bowl in the last 10 years.

    Nobody is arguing that it's not about balance. But a team devoid of a franchise quarterback is a hell of a lot less likely to make the postseason than one devoid of a franchise runningback.

    Gore had less than 15 rushing yards yesterday and the 49ers were still only one play away from winning. They're not relying on him by any means.

    A team can get by with a mediocre runningback more than they can a mediocre quarterback. Look at the Patriots. Blount had 6 games this season where he recorded less than 15 yards. 1/5 of his season totals came from last weeks playoff game. But he has one good game and now the Patriots successes are because of him?

    Blount was undrafted. Gore was a third round pick. Lynch was a very mediocre first round pick in Buffalo. Moreno hasn't lived up to his first round billing, either.

    The league is becoming a passing league. The rules favor QB's and WR's. The NFL is trying to trend away from contact and toward flat out speed, similar to college. We're seeing more spread sets and offenses are featuring more mobile quartebacks running read-option plays than ever before. Its not to say there isn't any value in grinding the defense down by pounding the rock, but big backs are slowly being phased out by rule changes. The traditional fullback position is disappearing. Smaller, zone blocking guards are being sought after and quarterbacks are throwing 35-40 times a game. It's not to say that's theore successful way, but that is the way things are currently heading, it seems.

    Are you suggesting we take a runningback in the first round?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Without Brady, the Pats don't make it to any Super Bowl in the last 10 years.

    Nobody is arguing that it's not about balance. But a team devoid of a franchise quarterback is a hell of a lot less likely to make the postseason than one devoid of a franchise runningback.

    Over the past decade, Brady plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity. Manning and Brady may be the last of that genre. I'll take a Kapernic or a Wilson good @ 4- Manziel is not either of them. He might (possibly) have the passing ability, but IMHO he doesn't have the frame to stay healthy if he takes off running on a consistent basis.

    Yeah- so how about Bortles @ 4, and Tre Mason with the second first rounder? I can even live with Watkins, and then Carr or Mason, and\or take Garrapolo in the second round. IMHO a stud run blocking OG should be high on the Browns shopping list- Pinkston and Lavaou suck.

    @hoorta said:

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity.

    When was the last time a mobile QB won a superbowl.

    Even a stiff like Flacco won last year.

    I say TAKE the BEST player available.

    A great defensive player could anchor your defense for a decade, leaving many years of drafting to get a potential QB right.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Without Brady, the Pats don't make it to any Super Bowl in the last 10 years.

    Nobody is arguing that it's not about balance. But a team devoid of a franchise quarterback is a hell of a lot less likely to make the postseason than one devoid of a franchise runningback.

    Over the past decade, Brady plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

    @masterdog said:

    Over the past decade, Brady plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

    And that offensive line throws his passes?

    I'm a lineman. I understand the value of a good offensive line. I also understand the exasperation behind blocking perfectly for a quarterback who holds on to the ball for 10 seconds and then throws an interception.

    Our line looked so much better with Hoyer than Weeden, and that's not a coincidence.

  • recipe for winning the AFC North.....bring in a 240lb'ish RB who can accelerate hard on the snap, put another 250-260lb FB who can accelerate equally as hard infront of him and have them maul a defensive front for the first couple possessions. Than when the inevitable 8th man has to be brought up to stop this, you have a qb that can make them pay for this. That might actually be the recipe for the entire NFL but let's focus on the North while we sit here at the bottom of it. And lets be thankful that none of the teams in the north have, yet, a secondary like Seattle's or our "it's a passing league" FO would be even further exposed as the football frauds that they seem to be.

    @clevfan4life said:

    recipe for winning the AFC North.....

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

  • @spectralcow said:

    DaBuckeye. Exactly. I think people are calling Wilson and Kaepernick "franchise QBs" because their teams have been successful, but I think both of those guys struggle on a team like the Browns. This goes back to the whole ugly circle of people equating team success with QB skill and vice versa. It's what led to millions of rabid Tebow fans insisting that Tebow was a great QB.

    Wilson and Kaepernick struggled with the teams they are on now. I didn't see much of anything in the NFC Championship game that made me think they are a lock for long-term franchise QBs. Of course this has only been year 2 for both of them as starting QBs.

    That being said, with the current Browns team plus a Kaep/Wilson type QB (and an RB that is at least capable), everyone will be happy ecstatic if in their first two years they go to the playoffs one year and a SB appearance the other. But defense needs to seriously step up their game too.

    The other option is to find a Peyton, Brady, Luck in the draft. (And here would still need a serviceable RB.)

    My question for the long run: Peytons, Bradys, Lucks are long term solutions. How will teams with a Kaep or Wilson or stay relevant in comparison? Will they go to the playoffs year after year and maybe win a SB or two within a decade? Or will it be a fast and furious five year plan? I might be generous going five years even.

    I might be living in the past with my preference for pocket passers. Somebody show me that drafting a Kaep, Wilson, RGIII (i.e. Manziel) is the answer, beyond a couple blazing years. It would be a fun ride for sure, but I'd rather have relevance for 10-12 years with a couple Championships in the mix.

    @tml1138 said:

    Wilson and Kaepernick struggled with the teams they are on now. I didn't see much of anything in the NFC Championship game that made me think they are a lock for long-term franchise QBs. Of course this has only been year 2 for both of them as starting QBs.

    That being said, with the current Browns team plus a Kaep/Wilson type QB (and an RB that is at least capable), everyone will be happy ecstatic if in their first two years they go to the playoffs one year and a SB appearance the other. But defense needs to seriously step up their game too.

    The other option is to find a Peyton, Brady, Luck in the draft. (And here would still need a serviceable RB.)

    My question for the long run: Peytons, Bradys, Lucks are long term solutions. How will teams with a Kaep or Wilson or stay relevant in comparison? Will they go to the playoffs year after year and maybe win a SB or two within a decade? Or will it be a fast and furious five year plan? I might be generous going five years even.

    I might be living in the past with my preference for pocket passers. Somebody show me that drafting a Kaep, Wilson, RGIII (i.e. Manziel) is the answer, beyond a couple blazing years. It would be a fun ride for sure, but I'd rather have relevance for 10-12 years with a couple Championships in the mix.

    I would argue kaepernik is the biggest reason SF stayed in the NFC game.

    Both are solid guys, not Peyton Manning's but as of right now they are the franchise guys.

    Kaep was down over last year, but not much.

    Wilson had a good year.

  • @hoorta said:

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity.

    When was the last time a mobile QB won a superbowl.

    Even a stiff like Flacco won last year.

    I say TAKE the BEST player available.

    A great defensive player could anchor your defense for a decade, leaving many years of drafting to get a potential QB right.

    @masterdog said:

    When was the last time a mobile QB won a superbowl.

    Even a stiff like Flacco won last year.

    I say TAKE the BEST player available.

    A great defensive player could anchor your defense for a decade, leaving many years of drafting to get a potential QB right.

    Drew Brees. Aaron Rodgers. Ben Roethlisberger.

    All three have above average mobility. All have recorded 40 times in the 4.7's. All are also..."pocket passers".

    That's why it's stupid to pigeonhole a QB based on his mobility.

    What would you qualify Luck as?

  • @masterdog said:

    Over the past decade, Brady plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the league.

    And that offensive line throws his passes?

    I'm a lineman. I understand the value of a good offensive line. I also understand the exasperation behind blocking perfectly for a quarterback who holds on to the ball for 10 seconds and then throws an interception.

    Our line looked so much better with Hoyer than Weeden, and that's not a coincidence.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Our line looked so much better with Hoyer than Weeden, and that's not a coincidence.

    There's only one guy in this draft that have shown the ability to make the quick throw and go thru his progression with high percentage passes. This kid threw 31 TD and only 4 INT (3 of them tipped).

  • @clevfan4life said:

    recipe for winning the AFC North.....

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

    @masterdog said:

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five first round offensive linemen?

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five Pro Bowl offensive linemen?

  • @tml1138 said:

    Wilson and Kaepernick struggled with the teams they are on now. I didn't see much of anything in the NFC Championship game that made me think they are a lock for long-term franchise QBs. Of course this has only been year 2 for both of them as starting QBs.

    That being said, with the current Browns team plus a Kaep/Wilson type QB (and an RB that is at least capable), everyone will be happy ecstatic if in their first two years they go to the playoffs one year and a SB appearance the other. But defense needs to seriously step up their game too.

    The other option is to find a Peyton, Brady, Luck in the draft. (And here would still need a serviceable RB.)

    My question for the long run: Peytons, Bradys, Lucks are long term solutions. How will teams with a Kaep or Wilson or stay relevant in comparison? Will they go to the playoffs year after year and maybe win a SB or two within a decade? Or will it be a fast and furious five year plan? I might be generous going five years even.

    I might be living in the past with my preference for pocket passers. Somebody show me that drafting a Kaep, Wilson, RGIII (i.e. Manziel) is the answer, beyond a couple blazing years. It would be a fun ride for sure, but I'd rather have relevance for 10-12 years with a couple Championships in the mix.

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    Yes, articles I've read they lump him in with running "read option" QBs, with Wilson, Newton, and RG3.

    I didn't say pocket passer with no mobility. No way for that.

    So they pass plenty as well (I didn't watch Kaep/Wilson through the year, only playoffs.), and I did notice the pass Wilson made scrambling around in the backfield, when he was wide open to run. I thought that was unusual. But if the play was designed for a pass, he must've felt compelled to carry it out. Or didn't realize how easily he could've gotten the 1st down? But there is a difference between QBs today that I'm questioning:

    1. Those that have the intent to pass, and run only to get time to make a throw, or throw away, or then scramble for a 1st down and slide to avoid taking a hit. Basically a pocket passer is their first choice, but need to be mobile because you aren't going to get to stand there like a statue every play.

    2. Those that have both pass and run plays designed for them. And run and take more risks than type #1. This is the group where Kaep belongs as far as I know.

  • @masterdog said:

    When was the last time a mobile QB won a superbowl.

    Even a stiff like Flacco won last year.

    I say TAKE the BEST player available.

    A great defensive player could anchor your defense for a decade, leaving many years of drafting to get a potential QB right.

    Drew Brees. Aaron Rodgers. Ben Roethlisberger.

    All three have above average mobility. All have recorded 40 times in the 4.7's. All are also..."pocket passers".

    That's why it's stupid to pigeonhole a QB based on his mobility.

    What would you qualify Luck as?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Drew Brees. Aaron Rodgers. Ben Roethlisberger.

    I wouldn't classifly these guys as 'mobile' QB. I would say they have very good 'pocket awareness'.

    Brees only have 1 season with more than 100 rushing yards in a season.

    A. Rodgers rushes for about 15 yards per game average in the past 4 season. And he broke his collarbone this season. You can bet his rushing numbers will drop drastically going forward.

    Big Ben has averaged less than 90 yards of rushing the past 3 season.

  • And yes I intentionally generalized between pocket passer and running QBs. Give me your breakdown of QB groups.

  • @masterdog said:

    We're dealing with the Baltimore, Pitts and Cin folks.

    To win this division, we need players in the trenches that can beat the crap out of them.

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five first round offensive linemen?

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five Pro Bowl offensive linemen?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five first round offensive linemen?

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five Pro Bowl offensive linemen?

    First round picks don't win championships.

    A well balance team with a solid coach does.

    Just because a QB is drafted high or rated high doesn't mean it will translate into success. We've been beaten up by the steelers and ravens for years because of their defenses. The Bengals look like they might hang around for a while too. We just NEED TO LAND GOOD PLAYERS.

  • Cam, Kaep and Wilson are good QB, but it's NOT the reason why their teams have won recently.

    The Panthers did well this year because of their DEFENSE.

    The 49ers have done well the past 3 seasons because of their DEFENSE.

    The Seahawks have an Elite DEFENSE and running game.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five first round offensive linemen?

    When's the last time a team won a Super Bowl with five Pro Bowl offensive linemen?

    First round picks don't win championships.

    A well balance team with a solid coach does.

    Just because a QB is drafted high or rated high doesn't mean it will translate into success. We've been beaten up by the steelers and ravens for years because of their defenses. The Bengals look like they might hang around for a while too. We just NEED TO LAND GOOD PLAYERS.

    @masterdog said:

    First round picks don't win championships.

    A well balance team with a solid coach does.

    Just because a QB is drafted high or rated high doesn't mean it will translate into success. We've been beaten up by the steelers and ravens for years because of their defenses. The Bengals look like they might hang around for a while too. We just NEED TO LAND GOOD PLAYERS.

    I agree with that. We need to be great in all aspects of the game.

    But the cost-benefit ratio is much greater taking one of the top rated quarterbacks this year than taking a guard or RT in the first round.

    If we didn't have the pieces in place, I wouldn't advocate taking a quarterback, but this is easily the most talented offense we've had since our return. We have two very viable receiving threats, two very good offensive linemen, and enough solid players to fill in the cracks.

    If we could land either Manziel or Bortles, a solid runningback, and an interior lineman in he first three rounds, our offense would be on par with the better offenses in the league. We could address #2 CB and ILB as well, either with our next picks or through FA.

    We'd have talent across the board with no glaring holes. We'd have a possible franchise quarterback to compete with Hoyer. We'd have a runningback.

    Personally, I don't see the dichotomy as much between running QB's and non-running QB's in the NFL. Having mobility is just another bonus. As I stated earlier, both Wilson and Kaep are in the top ten in passer rating. Both have fantastic numbers through the air.

    Having the ability to run isn't the same as being a running QB.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    How does Kaep fit into that group? Just because he's a runner?

    Kaep and Wilson still finished the regular season in the top ten in passer rating. Both of them threw nearly three times as many touchdowns and interceptions, and neither of them had double digit interceptions.

    When I hear "pocket passer", I hear "old". Just because a guy can run doesn't mean he isn't a pocket passer. Wilson ran a designed bootleg in the NFC Championship and stayed behind the line and turned that play into a 30 yard passing gain. He had four blockers in front of him and could have picked up a first down, yet he didnt.

    I think looking for quarterbacks with no mobility just to fill your "pocket passer" category severely limits he potential of the team.

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity. Manning and Brady may be the last of that genre. I'll take a Kapernic or a Wilson good @ 4- Manziel is not either of them. He might (possibly) have the passing ability, but IMHO he doesn't have the frame to stay healthy if he takes off running on a consistent basis.

    Yeah- so how about Bortles @ 4, and Tre Mason with the second first rounder? I can even live with Watkins, and then Carr or Mason, and\or take Garrapolo in the second round. IMHO a stud run blocking OG should be high on the Browns shopping list- Pinkston and Lavaou suck.

    @hoorta said:

    That's what I'm saying TC- a mobile qb is fine, it's becoming more and more of a necessity. Manning and Brady may be the last of that genre. I'll take a Kapernic or a Wilson good @ 4- Manziel is not either of them. He might (possibly) have the passing ability, but IMHO he doesn't have the frame to stay healthy if he takes off running on a consistent basis.

    Yeah- so how about Bortles @ 4, and Tre Mason with the second first rounder? I can even live with Watkins, and then Carr or Mason, and\or take Garrapolo in the second round. IMHO a stud run blocking OG should be high on the Browns shopping list- Pinkston and Lavaou suck.

    Manziel is two inches taller and 5 pounds heavier than Wilson. My bet is he'll measure in at 6'0 3/4" and 212 lbs at the Combine.

    I'm just as scared, but I'm warming up to Manziel. Obviously, I would love Bortles. But I can see the Manziel appeal now. People don't realize that Manziel has very similar strengths as Wilson, passing wise. He's not a schlub at throwing.

  • Cam, Kaep and Wilson are good QB, but it's NOT the reason why their teams have won recently.

    The Panthers did well this year because of their DEFENSE.

    The 49ers have done well the past 3 seasons because of their DEFENSE.

    The Seahawks have an Elite DEFENSE and running game.

    @masterdog said:

    Cam, Kaep and Wilson are good QB, but it's NOT the reason why their teams have won recently.

    The Panthers did well this year because of their DEFENSE.

    The 49ers have done well the past 3 seasons because of their DEFENSE.

    The Seahawks have an Elite DEFENSE and running game.

    Yea but if we hold our QB standards to Peyton/Rodgers/Brady/Brees we'll never find our guy.

    Manziel is a good thrower too ^^^ he's accurate, makes pretty good decisions. At this point I don't care who they get as long as they don't trade big for him.

  • I'm actually one that believe Manziel will struggle if he lands in Cleveland. In a team that has a better defense and coaching staff in place, i think he have a higher chance to succeed. The only QB in this draft that can come into Cleveland and be up and running quickly is Bridgewater simply because he's been running a pro-style offense for 2 years at Lousville. Would i like them to trade up to grab Bridgewater, NO. I would spread rumors of hyping Manziel and Bridgewater (no first round grade) and prays Bridgewater will fall to us at 4.

    I'm also am not fond of Manziel's running style.

    Yes, it's exciting but there's wrecknessless. His high INT is also a concern. He has a tendency to throw one up for grab.

  • I'm actually one that believe Manziel will struggle if he lands in Cleveland. In a team that has a better defense and coaching staff in place, i think he have a higher chance to succeed. The only QB in this draft that can come into Cleveland and be up and running quickly is Bridgewater simply because he's been running a pro-style offense for 2 years at Lousville. Would i like them to trade up to grab Bridgewater, NO. I would spread rumors of hyping Manziel and Bridgewater (no first round grade) and prays Bridgewater will fall to us at 4.

    I'm also am not fond of Manziel's running style.

    Yes, it's exciting but there's wrecknessless. His high INT is also a concern. He has a tendency to throw one up for grab.

    @masterdog said:

    I'm actually one that believe Manziel will struggle if he lands in Cleveland. In a team that has a better defense and coaching staff in place, i think he have a higher chance to succeed. The only QB in this draft that can come into Cleveland and be up and running quickly is Bridgewater simply because he's been running a pro-style offense for 2 years at Lousville.

    That's assuming we run a pro style offense. I personally think Bortles would have the most success here simply because of his body style. He's a clone of Ben and could withstand the punishment of playing in the AFC North more than Manziel or Bridgewater.

  • @masterdog said:

    I'm actually one that believe Manziel will struggle if he lands in Cleveland. In a team that has a better defense and coaching staff in place, i think he have a higher chance to succeed. The only QB in this draft that can come into Cleveland and be up and running quickly is Bridgewater simply because he's been running a pro-style offense for 2 years at Lousville.

    That's assuming we run a pro style offense. I personally think Bortles would have the most success here simply because of his body style. He's a clone of Ben and could withstand the punishment of playing in the AFC North more than Manziel or Bridgewater.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    That's assuming we run a pro style offense. I personally think Bortles would have the most success here simply because of his body style. He's a clone of Ben and could withstand the punishment of playing in the AFC North more than Manziel or Bridgewater.

    Correct.

    I would like them to take Bortles before Manziel...but not at the 4th spot. There are game changing players with elite skillset at the 4th spot.

    Clowney & Barr have the potential be be defensive anchor players for the next 5-10 years. That's what we need in the AFC North.

    And when i talk about pro-style offense, i'm taking about reading defenses and going through his progressions. There's a stat out there that i saw which indicated that Manziel threw 78% of his passes to his primary read. Bridgewater have a very high % of passes to his 2nd, 3rd and 4th option.