Skip to content

Mike Pettine Time?

The Browns Board
123 42 6.8k
  • Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter
    Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite.

    Cleveland's HC search down to two finalists who will meet with Browns' brass Thursday, per league sources. Bills DC Mike Pettine a favorite.


  • Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

    Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

    http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

  • Thanks, TCPO.

  • Tomorrow it over.

  • Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

    Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

    http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

    Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

    http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

    Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

    http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    @jafbf said:

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Who cares who they hire? By midseason next year half of this fan base will be calling for a new HC. I wish I could get a one on one with Haslam and say now look here Jim....fuck these fans, you can't make personnel decisions based on the whimsical bleats of a fan base that hasn't seen win since Eisenhower. That's all there is to it, he has to say fuck us. It's the only way he's going to build anything.

    Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

    Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

    @jcam222 said:

    Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

    Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Who cares who they hire? By midseason next year half of this fan base will be calling for a new HC. I wish I could get a one on one with Haslam and say now look here Jim....fuck these fans, you can't make personnel decisions based on the whimsical bleats of a fan base that hasn't seen win since Eisenhower. That's all there is to it, he has to say fuck us. It's the only way he's going to build anything.

    The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

    The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

    The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

    The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

    The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

    The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

    The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

    The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

    The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

    The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

    Just so you know.

    @the-gipper said:

    The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

    The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

    The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

    The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

    The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

    The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

    The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

    The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

    The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

    The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

    Just so you know.

    Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. 😎

  • @jcam222 said:

    Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

    Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    @clevfan4life said:

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    My point was fan grumbling has nothing to do with the coaching decisions past , present or future. It was pretty straight forward sarcasm and not that hard to understand. We do at least agree on why many candidates won't talk to us so there is always some common ground.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

    Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    @clevfan4life said:

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

    maybe because with better talent he sucked worse than the guy he replaced and haslam wasn't going to prolong the misery as other Fo's have done.

    did he have a plan B after chud's firing? sure as hell doesn't look like it. but expect this to continue until our HC shows improvement from the last or nighty nite.

  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

    maybe because with better talent he sucked worse than the guy he replaced and haslam wasn't going to prolong the misery as other Fo's have done.

    did he have a plan B after chud's firing? sure as hell doesn't look like it. but expect this to continue until our HC shows improvement from the last or nighty nite.

    @miktoxic said:

    maybe because with better talent he sucked worse than the guy he replaced and haslam wasn't going to prolong the misery as other Fo's have done.

    did he have a plan B after chud's firing? sure as hell doesn't look like it. but expect this to continue until our HC shows improvement from the last or nighty nite.

    So then expect a new coach every year.

  • @jafbf said:

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    @clevfan4life said:

    ..the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm belief that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    @clevfan4life said:

    ..the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm belief that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

    @hoorta said:

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

    Two things about Shurmur...

    1) I was not a huge fan of his, but I also think he deserved another year. All the "talent" people have talked about underachieving this year, well it's all it's his guys with a few exceptions. The base of our defense our those DT's that were pretty much the bright spot of the whole team. Again, wasn't a huge fan but barring a better choice I thought he deserved a 3rd year...which brings me to my second point.

    2) From what we know now, there was "zero" cause to fire Shurmur. They fired him before they had someone else signed or at least committed in a significant way. HIring an interim coach like chud who was going to change the coordinators, knowing pretty much all along they were going to fire him after a year or two.....makes the Shurmur firing even that much more indefensible. Given the way the North played this year I don't think it's inconceivable to think we might have won the division if we hadn't turned the offense and especially the defense over. The 4-3 we were running under Shurm I thought showed real promise. I think we would have gotten thumped right out of the playoffs but it would have been something.

    I just really think that they felt no choice but to fire Shurmur based on the reaction that the fan base had to him, which i understand to an extent...he wasn't that great of a game day coach. But I didn't hate him like alot of people did. People also hated Mangini which also blew my mind....most relevant football we've played since 99 was courtesy of him.

  • Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

    But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

    But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

    Zombo

    Were he and Jesse Ventura separated at birth??

    PS Let's get a coach and start, actually, thinking about personnel, etc.

  • Will Burge @ WillBurge 5m
    Sources confirm # Browns have chosen Pettine as next HC. Say meeting today is not interview but contract neg. If deal is reached he is coach

    Will Burge @ WillBurge 3m
    Pettine lands at Hopkins airport (yes commercial flight) at 12:32. One source said deal could be done by 5pm today if all goes well # Browns

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    If this pans out to be true, it's music to my ears.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

    The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

    The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

    The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

    The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

    The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

    The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

    The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

    The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

    The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

    Just so you know.

    Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. 😎

    @clevfan4life said:

    Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. 😎

    And two Presidents. Don't forget JFK in the middle there.

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

    And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.