Skip to content

Mike Pettine Time?

The Browns Board
123 42 6.8k
  • @jafbf said:

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    @clevfan4life said:

    ..the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm belief that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    @clevfan4life said:

    ..the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm belief that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

    @hoorta said:

    For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

    The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

    Two things about Shurmur...

    1) I was not a huge fan of his, but I also think he deserved another year. All the "talent" people have talked about underachieving this year, well it's all it's his guys with a few exceptions. The base of our defense our those DT's that were pretty much the bright spot of the whole team. Again, wasn't a huge fan but barring a better choice I thought he deserved a 3rd year...which brings me to my second point.

    2) From what we know now, there was "zero" cause to fire Shurmur. They fired him before they had someone else signed or at least committed in a significant way. HIring an interim coach like chud who was going to change the coordinators, knowing pretty much all along they were going to fire him after a year or two.....makes the Shurmur firing even that much more indefensible. Given the way the North played this year I don't think it's inconceivable to think we might have won the division if we hadn't turned the offense and especially the defense over. The 4-3 we were running under Shurm I thought showed real promise. I think we would have gotten thumped right out of the playoffs but it would have been something.

    I just really think that they felt no choice but to fire Shurmur based on the reaction that the fan base had to him, which i understand to an extent...he wasn't that great of a game day coach. But I didn't hate him like alot of people did. People also hated Mangini which also blew my mind....most relevant football we've played since 99 was courtesy of him.

  • Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

    But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

    But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

    Zombo

    Were he and Jesse Ventura separated at birth??

    PS Let's get a coach and start, actually, thinking about personnel, etc.

  • Will Burge @ WillBurge 5m
    Sources confirm # Browns have chosen Pettine as next HC. Say meeting today is not interview but contract neg. If deal is reached he is coach

    Will Burge @ WillBurge 3m
    Pettine lands at Hopkins airport (yes commercial flight) at 12:32. One source said deal could be done by 5pm today if all goes well # Browns

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    If this pans out to be true, it's music to my ears.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

    The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

    The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

    The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

    The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

    The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

    The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

    The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

    The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

    The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

    Just so you know.

    Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. 😎

    @clevfan4life said:

    Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. 😎

    And two Presidents. Don't forget JFK in the middle there.

  • I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

    And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.

  • My buddy just told me about his daughter tweeting,

    "Dad said interview went well and he is going back for a second, It's the Browns, but hey still pretty cool!"

    Who is the guy that makes T-Shirts around here? That might be the next best seller.... hahaha.

  • Zombo said:

    I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

    Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

    The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

    But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

    I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

    Zombo

    Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

    And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

    And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.

    I saw a rumor McDaniels is sniffing around again too.

    Just like when you get a new girlfriend and the chick that turned you down sees you out and says "hmm".

    It would take me a long time to warm up to McDaniels..

    I'd be onboard with Pettine before the press conference is over.

    Zombo

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Would gladly watch a smashmouth (strong D/running game) team in the style of Seattle. Pettine is better than nothing at this point.

    That's what we'll be getting- better than nothing. If you read the report from the Senior Bowl it's not surprising Haslam and the Stooges are in full damage control mode- and IMO they did more damage to the Browns reputation in one bad move than Holmgren & Heckert did in years.

    Earth to Jimmy- in this case the perception IS the reality- you and The Stooges have turned what's left of the once proud Browns franchise into a Hazardous Waste Dump.

    @hoorta said:

    That's what we'll be getting- better than nothing. If you read the report from the Senior Bowl it's not surprising Haslam and the Stooges are in full damage control mode- and IMO they did more damage to the Browns reputation in one bad move than Holmgren & Heckert did in years.

    Earth to Jimmy- in this case the perception IS the reality- you and The Stooges have turned what's left of the once proud Browns franchise into a Hazardous Waste Dump.

    I'll miss seeing you a time or two a year since it sounds like you are tossing the season tickets.

  • @jafbf said:

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    How can you say Horton was over-hyped? Correct me if I'm wrong but was anyone predicting that in one year our new defense would pee all over the 85 bears or the steel curtain from the 70's? Was that what everyone was expecting? I'm sorry but can you please explain how Horton failed after just one year? How can you be glad that we're turning the scheme over.................again

  • anyway I hope they gave it to Pettine with the pre requisite they leave him the fuck alone for a couple years. At this point if we want to gain back respectability we can't fire our next coach for at least 4-5 years, hope he's the guy.

  • My buddy just told me about his daughter tweeting,

    "Dad said interview went well and he is going back for a second, It's the Browns, but hey still pretty cool!"

    Who is the guy that makes T-Shirts around here? That might be the next best seller.... hahaha.

    @hx214 said:

    My buddy just told me about his daughter tweeting,

    "Dad said interview went well and he is going back for a second, It's the Browns, but hey still pretty cool!"

    Who is the guy that makes T-Shirts around here? That might be the next best seller.... hahaha.

    Media should have a field day with that, I know I would

  • @jafbf said:

    Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

    Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

    Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

    Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

    Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

    Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

    Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

    Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

    The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

    Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

    Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

    You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    Yes, I concede, there are aspects that are better, but to me they're all subparts of the final product - Points allowed.

    Buff ranked 20th in PA (24.2), while we ranked 23rd (25.4) . . . not an earthshattering difference and definitely around the bottom third of the League.

    Yeah, it's great when your Team can shut down an oppenent and dominate them, but if you still end up giving them more points you still lose.

    Frankly after watching Horton's vaunted Defense I don't care if we give up 500 yards a game as long as we keep them from scoring.

    Fact of the matter is, I actually prefer having a Defensive oriented HC.

    If Pettine's our new HC, I will be rooting for him to succeed until/unless he show's me he's not a competent HC.

  • If this is true and Pettine is announced today, why not wait another 10 days and talk to Quinn? We've been dicking around this long, what is another week or so? It's not like Pettine was our first choice by any stretch, and I haven't heard his name come up with any other teams. Something tells me he'll be around in 10 days. The Bills were 6-10 last year and ranked 20th in defense. How is this a better hire than just promoting Horton?

  • I feel like the Browns are in a lose- lose on all fronts of the HC chaos.

    If they kept Chud around and it became evident to the fanbase/media what was apparently evident to them that he was not a coach to lead them to a championship the FO would have been killed for not firing him after the first year (BTW those same browns players who spoke up for Chud were speaking up for Shurmer when he got canned) and we would be having this conversation about the next lose-lose scenario in 2015.

    If they hire someone right away, they get killed for not waiting for playoff coordinators because it only makes since to interview the coordinators for the best teams because they are...well...winning.

    They hire the popular retread HC or up and coming college coach - they get killed for hiring a retread or hot college coach without NFL experience

    They take their time in evaluating all options, bring in people who want to be here and line them up against all choices, let the increased time and attention from media ect to help vet candidates (keep in mind the decision to fire chud was made(reported at least) after the Jacksonville loss), and make an offer to someone they feel can get the job done. This is the way it should work btw - whether he was the initial first choice or not, he is the last man standing at the end of the process- but they get killed for waiting to long, or losing out on the choices of less informed people.

    I for one am excited that despite the madness and over reaction from the media/fans that the Browns have actually done something right - came out and said they will go through a process and actually going through that process... read what Jimmy Haslem said during the Chud Firing press conference...

    “There’s nothing that, and you all have every right to write it, that galls me more to read on Monday mornings, ‘Same old Browns.’ That’s not what we’re all about and that’s not what we came here for. You have a right to be skeptical and until we turn it around and start winning games, start winning important games, playing meaningful games late in the year and be sitting here this time of year talking about who we’re going to play in the first round of the playoffs, you have every right to be skeptical. But that’s Joe and my job, is to go out and find the person to lead the organization, to coach the team, to give us those kind of results. It’s something we take extremely seriously. We understand there will be skepticism until we get it right, and candidly, we deserve it. I know there’ll be questions about what you’re going to be looking for as a coach and I think you have to be careful. Coaches come in all shapes, form and fashions, but I think real simply, and we spent a lot of time talking about this, we want an individual who is a strong winner who knows how to win football games. We’ll begin our search immediately. I don’t know if it will take a week or a month, the importance is to get it right. There will be all kinds of rumors out there. We understand that. We’re not going to respond to any of them and it’s our intent to bring back the kind of coach I just mentioned to this room sometime over whatever time period. But the important thing is to get it right"

    Same old' browns huh? Sounds like we actually have some people in Berea that actually DO get it...

    GO BROWNS!

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

    How can you say Horton was over-hyped? Correct me if I'm wrong but was anyone predicting that in one year our new defense would pee all over the 85 bears or the steel curtain from the 70's? Was that what everyone was expecting? I'm sorry but can you please explain how Horton failed after just one year? How can you be glad that we're turning the scheme over.................again

    @clevfan4life said:

    How can you say Horton was over-hyped? Correct me if I'm wrong but was anyone predicting that in one year our new defense would pee all over the 85 bears or the steel curtain from the 70's? Was that what everyone was expecting? I'm sorry but can you please explain how Horton failed after just one year? How can you be glad that we're turning the scheme over.................again

    I said on here when we brought Horton on board that I had concerns with him when his D gave up 58 points to Seattle in one game - definitely some Red Flags that panned out it seems.

  • If this is true and Pettine is announced today, why not wait another 10 days and talk to Quinn? We've been dicking around this long, what is another week or so? It's not like Pettine was our first choice by any stretch, and I haven't heard his name come up with any other teams. Something tells me he'll be around in 10 days. The Bills were 6-10 last year and ranked 20th in defense. How is this a better hire than just promoting Horton?

    @bonedawg said:

    If this is true and Pettine is announced today, why not wait another 10 days and talk to Quinn? We've been dicking around this long, what is another week or so? It's not like Pettine was our first choice by any stretch, and I haven't heard his name come up with any other teams. Something tells me he'll be around in 10 days. The Bills were 6-10 last year and ranked 20th in defense. How is this a better hire than just promoting Horton?

    Bills were ranked 8th in total D.

  • @bonedawg said:

    If this is true and Pettine is announced today, why not wait another 10 days and talk to Quinn? We've been dicking around this long, what is another week or so? It's not like Pettine was our first choice by any stretch, and I haven't heard his name come up with any other teams. Something tells me he'll be around in 10 days. The Bills were 6-10 last year and ranked 20th in defense. How is this a better hire than just promoting Horton?

    Bills were ranked 8th in total D.

    @neubs24 said:

    Bills were ranked 8th in total D.

    Not in Points Allowed - in PA Buff was 20th.