Skip to content

The FO Chose(?) Pettine

The Browns Board
10 7 646
  • Most of you are going to read this wrong and argue against a claim I never make. I've come to expect that on these boards. I'm going to try to avoid that now, but it most likely won't matter:

    I like the Pettine hire. For a couple of days prior to the hiring, I was on these boards supporting the Pettine hire. I hope Pettine does well, and I think the Pettine hiring is more promising than the Chud hiring ever was.

    That being said, I think we have to acknowledge that Pettine was not the Browns FO's first choice. He couldn't have been. Let's examine why. When all of the other teams were hiring head coaches, the Browns did not. It appeared that the Browns had missed the train. Jimmy came out and told us that the Browns had not missed the train, there was, instead, a plan by the Browns to "get their man." This led many to logically believe that the Browns were targeting someone who could not discuss a position because of that person's involvement in the playoffs. Between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, the Browns decided to hire a guy who was not in the playoffs at all. The only thing that happened between the beginning of the playoffs and the hiring was that some coaches withdrew their names from consideration.

    The most logical conclusion is that Pettine was not the Browns' first choice. Otherwise, there was no point in waiting weeks to interview and hire him. You don't need to "take your time and get it right" and have people withdraw to hire "the right guy" weeks ago. If he was "the right guy" all along and was their first choice, why did it take so long to hire him?

    One more time: I like the Pettine hire. I think it was a good hire. But I don't (AT ALL) buy that he was their first choice all along.

    Even if he is the NFL's next legendary coach, I won't give the current Browns FO the credit for hiring him.

  • He wasnt Banner's first choice. He wanted sexy pass offense guys like MxDonald and Gase.

    Jimmy said fuck that, get me that rough and tumble bloody nose guy and get him some fucking players.

    How many of these pass gurus work out anyway? Maybe Sean Payton? Give me a John Fox, Bill Bellichick, Tony Dungy, Bull Cowher bad ass from the tough side of the ball any day. Hire a good OC to run your passing game. Hire a Man to be your football coach.

    Z

  • I'm comfortable with that.

  • I actually like Pettine. I didn't really like Chud when we first hired him but thought Norv and Horton with him would be OK.

    We just gotta wait and see what the results on the field are. Hopefully we hit in the draft and resign ward and mack.

    I definitely like him way more than MCD or gase.

  • I actually like Pettine. I didn't really like Chud when we first hired him but thought Norv and Horton with him would be OK.

    We just gotta wait and see what the results on the field are. Hopefully we hit in the draft and resign ward and mack.

    I definitely like him way more than MCD or gase.

    @bbedward said:

    I actually like Pettine. I didn't really like Chud when we first hired him but thought Norv and Horton with him would be OK.

    We just gotta wait and see what the results on the field are. Hopefully we hit in the draft and resign ward and mack.

    I definitely like him way more than MCD or gase.

    Those guys are homos.

    We needed a passionate bad ass grab the facemask kind of guy to compete with Harbaugh, Tomlin and Lewis.

  • I don't know much about him except what i read about his defensive philosophy....i'm ok with what I read. Doesn't mean much, but in any case...i'm willing to shut the holy fucking hell up for a couple years to see how things go when he gets the guys he wants.

  • In the words of The Rolling Stones:

    "You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes well you might find
    You get what you need"
    That's pretty much how I feel about the Pettine hire.
  • Good quote, Osiris.

  • Until you get a QB your not going to win,no matter who the coach is.Pettine said as much.If he runs a smash mouth type of team and gets a QB maybe he will win.

  • zzzzzzzzzzz a snore hire...go back to sleep now...