Blake and The Flying J's
-
I'm a big fan of the running game, but I'm having a hard time getting behind the Browns making a decent reinvestment in the running game this year. I'm just bitter. I guess it helps that it's a new HC, OC, etc. Alright, hang on, let me try to look at this kid...
-
We will also need a true run and pass blocking fullback.
This position is often overlooked and neglected as in it's not a need position... that is until you don't have a true FB like us, Obi cannot be FB next year. He's either the HB or a 3rd down back, backup or bust. He is not a FB. He got blown up by lineman and LBers frequently last season. The value of him catching balls out of the backfield versus having a slobberknocker opening holes for a true runningback fall far short of any benefits he brings to the position.
One interesting hypothesis is to try and convert Carlos Hyde to a FB. I don't know a lot about him but he seems to be able to bring the same things Obi does to the table, plus he far bigger than Imagobbleya.
I think if we brought in Watkins/Carr, Seastrunk/Hyde and an Offensive Lineman(mauler-runblocker) we would be set perfectly on Offense... Possibly even more explosive than the 07/08 Offense that went 10-6 and missed the playoffs.
Just a thought... thoughts?
-
Lorenzo Taliaferro- RB- Coastal Carolina University
6'2" 240 lbs.
Rushed for 1,729 yards and 27 TD's. Second team All-American. Mike Mayock voted him Player of the Day in Senior Bowl practices.
Great in pass blocking and run blocking. Exceedingly good in space, has good feet and good vision. Could be a great FB, similar to fellow CCU alum Mike Tolbert.
I would love for us to land this guy.
-
How late do people expect him (Seastrunk) to be available?
Despite the gaudy numbers, the fact that Taliaferro went to a smaller school and played against lesser competition (as well as the fact that he'll probably be used as a FB) could mean that he's available late. I like it.
-
How late do people expect him (Seastrunk) to be available?
Despite the gaudy numbers, the fact that Taliaferro went to a smaller school and played against lesser competition (as well as the fact that he'll probably be used as a FB) could mean that he's available late. I like it.
How late do people expect him (Seastrunk) to be available?
The fact that Taliaferro went to a smaller school and played against lesser competition could mean that he's available later.
He could be had in the later rounds or even as a UDFA. What I like about him is that he's a smart player and individual. He had a comment at the Senior Bowl about his education and was quoted saying "As much as I love the game, it's only temporary. One day I'll have to walk away but my degree lasts forever".
-
If the Browns were able to get two first-round players, I could live with Seastrunk in the 2nd. I would be much more comfortable if they could grab three other players in the first two rounds and then pick up Seastrunk in the 3rd round, but I'm guessing he won't be there. Given my preference, I don't think I'd choose for the Browns to take a RB before the 3rd round at the earliest, and I'd really prefer the 4th round.
-
CROW- I've done the mock draft website and was able to land him early in the second. I would expect him to be gone by the second round sometime.
TCPO- Would you prefer L.T. over Hyde as a converted FB from HB?
CROW- I've done the mock draft website and was able to land him early in the second. I would expect him to be gone by the second round sometime.
TCPO- Would you prefer L.T. over Hyde as a converted FB from HB?
I would, yes. Hyde is a great runner with good size, but his blocking technique is poor. He routinely goes low on run blocking plays, which puts a ceiling on his blocking potential. He's good for one block maximum on running plays, which would essentially force our hand into a lot of iso runs.
His pass blocking is just bad. His technique is bad, his footwork is bad, and his hands are bad. He doesn't put his weight over the balls of his feet, which results in chipped and missed blocks. He often tries to go shoulder to shoulder, almost like he's running through a defender, and that results in missed blocks.
I think Hyde can be a solid mid round runningback, especially if used in the right capacity as a complement or change of pace back. But as a fullback, I just don't see it. The only thing he has going for him is size.
Hyde, to me, is a runningback who is just big enough to sometimes block.
Taliaferro, in comparison, is a fullback who is capable of running and receiving.
Used in the same capacity, Taliaferro would be the better pick based on his skill set, size, and the fact that he can be had much later in the draft.
-
If we could take Storm Johnson or Dre Williams in the 3rd-5th and Taliaferro in the 6th or 7th, we'd have a pretty solid backfield.
We'd have a speedy, elusive back in Dion Lewis. We'd have a power back, between the tackles runner in Andre Williams (who led the nation in 30+ yard plays). And we'd have a blocking FB and receiving threat in Taliaferro.
We could have a receiving backfield that doesn't sacrifice any size with Lewis and Taliaferro. We could have a jumbo backfield with Taliaferro and Williams. We could have a dual threat backfield with Williams and Lewis.
-
I'm good with this (what TCPO suggests above).
-
i'm not unless they turn him into a CB.
-
-
How late do people expect him (Seastrunk) to be available?
The fact that Taliaferro went to a smaller school and played against lesser competition could mean that he's available later.
He could be had in the later rounds or even as a UDFA. What I like about him is that he's a smart player and individual. He had a comment at the Senior Bowl about his education and was quoted saying "As much as I love the game, it's only temporary. One day I'll have to walk away but my degree lasts forever".
He could be had in the later rounds or even as a UDFA. What I like about him is that he's a smart player and individual. He had a comment at the Senior Bowl about his education and was quoted saying "As much as I love the game, it's only temporary. One day I'll have to walk away but my degree lasts forever".
So TC, what's your take on Tre Mason as our "pure " RB, and how high do you think he'll go in the draft?
-
He could be had in the later rounds or even as a UDFA. What I like about him is that he's a smart player and individual. He had a comment at the Senior Bowl about his education and was quoted saying "As much as I love the game, it's only temporary. One day I'll have to walk away but my degree lasts forever".
So TC, what's your take on Tre Mason as our "pure " RB, and how high do you think he'll go in the draft?
So TC, what's your take on Tre Mason as our "pure " RB, and how high do you think he'll go in the draft?
I think Mason could go in the second half of round one, which isn't a shocking opinion, I know. I just haven't done enough research to complete a full mock yet. I like Mason, but I don't see the need for an every down back. The NFL is erring more and more towards an RBBC every season, with Lynch and Peterson being the exceptions.
-
I'm not in love with RBBC because I think it disrupts the running game for some backs. And then the whole argument kind of feeds itself (feature running backs become less effective because we use them less often, and we use them less often because they become less effective). A certain type of back needs a chance to gain some momentum and wear down a defense. Regardless of my opinion on him, a lot of people think Jerome Bettis was a good back. He wouldn't have been very good in a RBBC situation. He needed carries and repetition to wear defenses down.
That being said, I'm not arguing against the notion that this is the direction in which the NFL is headed. I just think that its popularity marginalizes a certain kind of back who can be effective with a greater number of (frequent) carries. And maybe that's okay, too. Sometimes trends emerge that cause formerly popular positions/styles to seem less desirable to most teams (FBs, for instance). And then we call the teams/players that do still use those now unpopular methods anomalies (Lynch in Seattle).
-
What happened to Trent is that he's really not that good. That's what happened to Trent.
-
Lol, SOOOOOOO not engaging in this discussion again. *coughs and points at the LESS effective Browns rushing game in 2013*
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login