Skip to content

I Don't Know About You Guys ......

The Browns Board
28 19 1.2k
  • C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
    #7

    My first impression was, now this guy looks like a football coach, unlike the last few we've had. That doesn't really mean anything, but it is a first impression. I really never saw a spark in Chud that filled me with confidence, and the Miami game left me deflated. I once again have hope, and with the Browns, that's a pretty big deal.

  • You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @gftchris said:

    You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    I loved that too.

    Yes, I'm a sucker for the Browns and I would have found a way to embrace Gace or McDaniel even though I didn't really want them.

    And yes, I was optimistic with every single coach the Browns have hired (OK, not so much with Crennell and Shurmur ... but I liked the rest).

    But this guy just makes me feel better. He's a grinder. He's a lifer from a football father coach. He's not comfortable in front of a microphone or in a suit. Sounds more like Bill Belichick to me than all of the BB employees we have fallen in love with.

    Instead of getting Bill Belichick employees that Belichick used, to get certain aspects of them into his team, you get your own guy with his own thoughts and his own way. A young Parcells, a young Belichick, a young Cowher.

    A Football Coach. Not a system guy. Not a West Coast guy, a Spread Guy, a Zone Blitz Guy, not a Belichick disciple.

    Now let the man coach out the five years of his contract and see what you've got.

    I'm glad we kept Farmer too. Let's quit making changes, set the course, and the winning will come.

    Zombo

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    He's gonna fall in love when he watches tape and sees this:

    Taylor - D.Bryant - Rubin - Winn - Hughes - A.Bryant - Mingo - Sheard - Kruger - DQJ

    With all that front 7 talent on D, I have a feeling Pettine will find a way to maximize it... Plus, by hiring a D-minded HC we may just be able to convince Ward to stick around with his buddy Haden for a little while longer...

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #10

    I am officially on the Pettine bandwagon... even contemplating a solidarity head shaving...

    Just watched presser, one-on-one with Donavan and player reaction videos...

    Here are my reactions...

    Pluses:

    • self deprecating... "...not comfortable."
    • quiet determination/ toughness
    • eloquent
    • grounded... "I don't want to win press conferences."
    • Daughter sent him "text that would have made most Fathers cry."
    • candor... "Dad as an assistant was one of those ideas that was better on paper."
    • practical... "First you have to teach how not to lose and then you can teach how to win."

    Minuses:

    • No final say in roster decisions... "still being worked out..."

    Bottom line:

    He wanted the opportunity badly enough that the above lack of control was not enough to dissuade him as it likely did other "candidates". But he did it eyes open... knowing what it might mean and with the confidence that it is something that he can overcome.

  • S Spectralcow wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Exactly.

    And I already shave my head, so the club is already formed. Just be sure that if you do it, you don't have the mid-cranial ridge that Pettine has. It makes you look like a Klingon. Try to determine whether or not you have a nice rounded dome first, then go for it.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #12

    He had me at "Betting on myself". Sure, he's going to make mistakes like any 1st year HC is going to make, but I have a feeling that the difference will be that he only makes them once. As long as the FO leaves him alone and gets him the talent he needs, he should be successful.......... Feeling much better today, then I did 48hrs ago, that's for DAMN SURE!

  • He had me at "Betting on myself". Sure, he's going to make mistakes like any 1st year HC is going to make, but I have a feeling that the difference will be that he only makes them once. As long as the FO leaves him alone and gets him the talent he needs, he should be successful.......... Feeling much better today, then I did 48hrs ago, that's for DAMN SURE!

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @d-bone said:

    As long as the FO leaves him alone and gets him the talent he needs, he should be successful...

    Uh-oh... I knew there was a catch...

  • @d-bone said:

    As long as the FO leaves him alone and gets him the talent he needs, he should be successful...

    Uh-oh... I knew there was a catch...

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tour2ma said:

    Uh-oh... I knew there was a catch...

    LMAO 😆

  • B bonedawg wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

  • I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @bonedawg said:

    I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

    That is nothing more than internet speculation. None of us know exactly what went on behind closed doors, or what the real reason Chud got canned was. Pettine seems like the type of guy that asked his own questions during the multiple interviews, and he also seems like the type of guy that wouldn't have accepted the job if he wasn't 100% comfortable with the answers he got.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I saw on the news - that Haden is quoted as saying the Browns need to start playing

    with an ATTITUDE.

    Pettine seems seriously intense in a good way. Of course, it will be easier to play with an attitude

    when you have Hoyer stay healthy, and fix the pass defense.

    Oh, and I saw a quick interview with Banner. They asked him about the perception of some fans

    that some coaches weren't inclined to come to Cleveland,...

    Banner got short with him, and smarted off saying " there's nothing to comment on" and "it is only

    the media"

    Banner is scum just like his hire, Scumbardi. Hell with both of em. Can't wait to see them gone.

  • I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @bonedawg said:

    I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

    I agree- please Stooges, let Mike have a significant voice in player selection- he seems to have an idea of what type of guys he wants on the team.

  • You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    I loved his answer too. Seems like an intense, straight up, honest, shoot from the hip guy.

    Mike

  • @gftchris said:

    You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    I loved that too.

    Yes, I'm a sucker for the Browns and I would have found a way to embrace Gace or McDaniel even though I didn't really want them.

    And yes, I was optimistic with every single coach the Browns have hired (OK, not so much with Crennell and Shurmur ... but I liked the rest).

    But this guy just makes me feel better. He's a grinder. He's a lifer from a football father coach. He's not comfortable in front of a microphone or in a suit. Sounds more like Bill Belichick to me than all of the BB employees we have fallen in love with.

    Instead of getting Bill Belichick employees that Belichick used, to get certain aspects of them into his team, you get your own guy with his own thoughts and his own way. A young Parcells, a young Belichick, a young Cowher.

    A Football Coach. Not a system guy. Not a West Coast guy, a Spread Guy, a Zone Blitz Guy, not a Belichick disciple.

    Now let the man coach out the five years of his contract and see what you've got.

    I'm glad we kept Farmer too. Let's quit making changes, set the course, and the winning will come.

    Zombo

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by Canton Mike
    #20

    Zombo said:

    I loved that too.

    Yes, I'm a sucker for the Browns and I would have found a way to embrace Gace or McDaniel even though I didn't really want them.

    And yes, I was optimistic with every single coach the Browns have hired (OK, not so much with Crennell and Shurmur ... but I liked the rest).

    But this guy just makes me feel better. He's a grinder. He's a lifer from a football father coach. He's not comfortable in front of a microphone or in a suit. Sounds more like Bill Belichick to me than all of the BB employees we have fallen in love with.

    Instead of getting Bill Belichick employees that Belichick used, to get certain aspects of them into his team, you get your own guy with his own thoughts and his own way. A young Parcells, a young Belichick, a young Cowher.

    A Football Coach. Not a system guy. Not a West Coast guy, a Spread Guy, a Zone Blitz Guy, not a Belichick disciple.

    Now let the man coach out the five years of his contract and see what you've got.

    I'm glad we kept Farmer too. Let's quit making changes, set the course, and the winning will come.

    Zombo

    What Zombo says! Couldn't have said it better, but I DID support Shurmur (at FIRST!) & I HATED the Romeo hire from the 1st day. I also agree that keeping Farmer is HUGE.

    It will be interesting to see how Coordinators & assistants shape up.

    Mike

  • I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO. That seems to be the reason that Chud was canned as he wouldn't do the FO bidding in the lockerroom. Nothing worse than micromanagement from upper management.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @bonedawg said:

    I'm ok with him as long as he didn't take the job agreeing to be the puppet of the FO.

    Puppet is one word that never came to mind watching and listening to Mike...

    @hoorta said:

    I agree- please Stooges, let Mike have a significant voice in player selection- he seems to have an idea of what type of guys he wants on the team.

    I'm sure he'll have a voice. How significant?

    But I'm not sure he cares... I believe him when he says he'll fit systems to players. I'm betting that his OC choice reflects that.

  • I am officially on the Pettine bandwagon... even contemplating a solidarity head shaving...

    Just watched presser, one-on-one with Donavan and player reaction videos...

    Here are my reactions...

    Pluses:

    • self deprecating... "...not comfortable."
    • quiet determination/ toughness
    • eloquent
    • grounded... "I don't want to win press conferences."
    • Daughter sent him "text that would have made most Fathers cry."
    • candor... "Dad as an assistant was one of those ideas that was better on paper."
    • practical... "First you have to teach how not to lose and then you can teach how to win."

    Minuses:

    • No final say in roster decisions... "still being worked out..."

    Bottom line:

    He wanted the opportunity badly enough that the above lack of control was not enough to dissuade him as it likely did other "candidates". But he did it eyes open... knowing what it might mean and with the confidence that it is something that he can overcome.

    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tour2ma said:

    I am officially on the Pettine bandwagon... even contemplating a solidarity head shaving...

    Just watched presser, one-on-one with Donavan and player reaction videos...

    Here are my reactions...

    Pluses:

    • self deprecating... "...not comfortable."
    • quiet determination/ toughness
    • eloquent
    • grounded... "I don't want to win press conferences."
    • Daughter sent him "text that would have made most Fathers cry."
    • candor... "Dad as an assistant was one of those ideas that was better on paper."
    • practical... "First you have to teach how not to lose and then you can teach how to win."

    Minuses:

    • No final say in roster decisions... "still being worked out..."

    Bottom line:

    He wanted the opportunity badly enough that the above lack of control was not enough to dissuade him as it likely did other "candidates". But he did it eyes open... knowing what it might mean and with the confidence that it is something that he can overcome.

    I'll add another quote from Pettine :

    “To compete in the AFC North, you have to be willing to bloody your nose a little bit,” Pettine said. “I think that’s the mentality that we’re going to take here. This team is going to be built on toughness.

    Plus this :

    "I don't want to build, for lack of a better phrase, `a good old boys club,'" said Pettine, the last of seven NFL head coaches hired in the offseason. "A lot of coaches hire people that they are friends with or go way back with, and sometimes those relationships are great and for those reasons they work well together. When you put coaches in a room like that they're going to bond.

    "I'm not looking for someone to go to lunch with. It's going to be all about winning."

    I'm still kicking around the Stat numbers, but I'm behind him and I'm hoping he succeeds here.

  • Exactly.

    And I already shave my head, so the club is already formed. Just be sure that if you do it, you don't have the mid-cranial ridge that Pettine has. It makes you look like a Klingon. Try to determine whether or not you have a nice rounded dome first, then go for it.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @spectralcow said:

    Exactly.

    And I already shave my head, so the club is already formed. Just be sure that if you do it, you don't have the mid-cranial ridge that Pettine has. It makes you look like a Klingon. Try to determine whether or not you have a nice rounded dome first, then go for it.

    me too brother!! (randy savage imitation....grhhhh). i've had best friends try to shave their heads only to hit divets and sand traps left by bar brawls and cat fights.

    the browns' baldies. sounds like a gang from the movie 'the warriors'.

    at least we'll know the theme of next year's tailgate.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #24

    nothing more than i hate is a spineless coach.

    i love the rant video someone left on another thread when he was going after HS team to get them all riled up.

  • @gftchris said:

    You know what I loved more than anything? The reporter asked something like "did all that time doing that stuff make you more prepared and more comfortable at a press conference like this?" and he said "absolutely not, I hate this stuff, the sooner we get it over with and I can start looking at film, the better"

    I'm actually optimistic. We'll see how long that lasts.

    I loved that too.

    Yes, I'm a sucker for the Browns and I would have found a way to embrace Gace or McDaniel even though I didn't really want them.

    And yes, I was optimistic with every single coach the Browns have hired (OK, not so much with Crennell and Shurmur ... but I liked the rest).

    But this guy just makes me feel better. He's a grinder. He's a lifer from a football father coach. He's not comfortable in front of a microphone or in a suit. Sounds more like Bill Belichick to me than all of the BB employees we have fallen in love with.

    Instead of getting Bill Belichick employees that Belichick used, to get certain aspects of them into his team, you get your own guy with his own thoughts and his own way. A young Parcells, a young Belichick, a young Cowher.

    A Football Coach. Not a system guy. Not a West Coast guy, a Spread Guy, a Zone Blitz Guy, not a Belichick disciple.

    Now let the man coach out the five years of his contract and see what you've got.

    I'm glad we kept Farmer too. Let's quit making changes, set the course, and the winning will come.

    Zombo

    cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    Zombo said:

    I loved that too.

    Yes, I'm a sucker for the Browns and I would have found a way to embrace Gace or McDaniel even though I didn't really want them.

    And yes, I was optimistic with every single coach the Browns have hired (OK, not so much with Crennell and Shurmur ... but I liked the rest).

    But this guy just makes me feel better. He's a grinder. He's a lifer from a football father coach. He's not comfortable in front of a microphone or in a suit. Sounds more like Bill Belichick to me than all of the BB employees we have fallen in love with.

    Instead of getting Bill Belichick employees that Belichick used, to get certain aspects of them into his team, you get your own guy with his own thoughts and his own way. A young Parcells, a young Belichick, a young Cowher.

    A Football Coach. Not a system guy. Not a West Coast guy, a Spread Guy, a Zone Blitz Guy, not a Belichick disciple.

    Now let the man coach out the five years of his contract and see what you've got.

    I'm glad we kept Farmer too. Let's quit making changes, set the course, and the winning will come.

    Zombo

    U know I liked the Crennel hire at first but I really wanted Charlie Weiss. To this day I believe those two coach's are successful if they traded spots.Crennell to ND and Weiss to Cleveland.
  • He's gonna fall in love when he watches tape and sees this:

    Taylor - D.Bryant - Rubin - Winn - Hughes - A.Bryant - Mingo - Sheard - Kruger - DQJ

    With all that front 7 talent on D, I have a feeling Pettine will find a way to maximize it... Plus, by hiring a D-minded HC we may just be able to convince Ward to stick around with his buddy Haden for a little while longer...

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @thenew23 said:

    He's gonna fall in love when he watches tape and sees this:

    Taylor - D.Bryant - Rubin - Winn - Hughes - A.Bryant - Mingo - Sheard - Kruger - DQJ

    With all that front 7 talent on D, I have a feeling Pettine will find a way to maximize it... Plus, by hiring a D-minded HC we may just be able to convince Ward to stick around with his buddy Haden for a little while longer...

    better yet to that mix maybe we can bring over Pettines buy Jarius Byrd to add to the mix