A Bills fan's take on Pettine
-
Thanks for the classy post, Androk. I think Pettine is what the Browns need (from a character/personality stand point), so I'm generally pleased by the hire. It was pretty clear from watching the Browns games at the end of the season that many of the players had already given up on the season. I don't think Pettine is the kind of guy who would tolerate that.
So now that we stole your head coach, what can you tell us about Jim O'Neil, your linebacker coach that Pettine appears to want to snag for our DC?
I can't say there is much knowledge I have about O'Neil. He was the outside linebacker coach (we fired our inside linebacker coach after the season), Manny Lawson performed decent for us. I'm not sure how much impact he had on Jerry Hughes, since Pettine runs a hybrid scheme and it's hard to get a gauge on Hughes as a 'tweener'. If O'Neil had anything to do with Hughes, then I'd say kudos to him.The most I can say on that subject is Pettine will undoubtedly be running your D, not O'Neil (at least I would hope). Similar to Pettine's role in NY...Pettine was the coordinator but everyone knew Rex was running the show. That's why Pettine left NY to make a name for himself.Not to throw cold water on it all, but I have to remark about players giving up at the end of the year. There were a couple games in the last month where the defense came out on fire, got the ball back for our offense the first couple possessions, then seemingly fizzled after the O did nothing with it. Perhaps that is part of the culture of losing both our franchises are accustomed to. Maybe if Pettine is the head man he can do more to prevent that than he could in Buffalo as a coordinator. Coach Marrone frequently speaks of "culture change" and players giving up at the end of the year is a huge part of that.FWIW, Marrone helped Pettine prepare for his interview since Marrone had interviewed with Cleveland last year. I do believe Pettine learned some things about the culture change philosophy while working under Marrone. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done.I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.
There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.
-
on a serious note (and i mean this):
"stay classy buffalo!"
-
I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.
There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.
There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.
That certainly adds some perspective, though I still think a stronger FO would dismiss the remark and move on. Unfortunately, I could see our CEO Russ Brandon acting the same way.
Just my opinion, but I'd rather a front office be focused 110% on football and not what the media is saying. I doubt successful front office men are paying attention to their Facebook page.
-
-
We don't do that in Cleveland. You're thinking Pittsburgh.
-
-
here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.
-
We don't do that in Cleveland. You're thinking Pittsburgh.
It's the same as in most any stadium. Just don't act like a jackass. Cheer for your team but don't be an asshole.
My experience as a Bills fan is most fans are good natured, but it only takes one asshole to ruin someone's day. I'll give opposing fans a good natured ribbing, then ask them if they are enjoying their experience. I just know a lot of fans aren't like that. Dieter on RMG was talking about how he pours piss on opposing fans, obviously I don't want that to happen.
I'm not one to run my mouth, but I'd probably want to wear my colors. I wouldn't want to get messed with just because I have an EJ Manuel jersey on.
-
-
here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.
here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.
Haha. When I say my brother adopted the Browns, he is just a casual fan....nowhere near as die-hard as me. For his law-school graduation, I got him a Jim Brown jersey. He was asking for a T-Rich....I told him he didn't want him, he might be off the team in a couple years..................
-
Don't walk the Muni lot with a Bills jersey you may get harassed.
I can deal with jokes as long as it isn't serious like that...that's why I was asking. If I'm better off leaving my Bills gear at home then I'd do that.
If I do go though, a bunch of fans in my Bills community go every year, I'd probably get tickets with them so at least I'd have a group with me.
-
If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.
Good luck to your Bills this year.
BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!
Mike
-
Ice Dawg19 said:
Where an O.J. jersey. It'll be fun.
See....I feel bad you lost your team for a few years. But OJ man....our most famous player ever......
Sad thing is I'll make posts saying we need to take him off our Wall of Fame, and most Bills fans disagree with me

-
I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?
There are always lots of Bills fans here when Buffalo comes to town...Hell my section looked like
a Bills home game this year and it was a Thurs nite game...
...Lucky for them we won! LOL
Wear your shit enjoy the game!
-
I've lived in different parts of the country and worn different visiting teams' stuff to different stadiums/arenas, etc., and I've never had a problem. Like some of the guys have said, it's probably almost exclusively based on the way you act. I suppose there is the chance that you run into that one maniac who attacks you for no reason, but I don't think you can account for that/rule that out anywhere. I always just kind of take my chances that as long as I'm civil and good-natured, there will be enough like-minded people around that nothing will end up going too far.
I live outside of Pittsburgh (but in Ohio), and most of the people I know around here are Pittsburgh fans. I went to a Browns game in Pittsburgh one year recently and the game mattered to the Steelers (I don't remember the details). I took a lot of good-natured ribbing, and I think some people even jokingly through some popcorn at me, but nothing got offensive or out of hand. Contrarily, I've heard that a lot of Browns fans have run into problems at games in Pittsburgh. I really think a lot of it has to do with how you yourself act. Outside of that, like I said, you can't really account for the one psycho amongst the 40k people.
Oh, and by the way, if you win the Heisman and rush for 2,000yds in a 14-game season, you should GET to kill 2 people.
-
If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.
Good luck to your Bills this year.
BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!
Mike
If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.
Good luck to your Bills this year.
BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!
Mike
Good to hear man, thanks.
I went to Anchor Bar once, it was awesome. I hear Duffs is where it's at though. (I'm from Rochester, about 90 miles east of Buffalo.....though, the Bills hold Training Camp less than a mile away from my house)
-
-
Don't walk the Muni lot with a Bills jersey you may get harassed.
I can deal with jokes as long as it isn't serious like that...that's why I was asking. If I'm better off leaving my Bills gear at home then I'd do that.
If I do go though, a bunch of fans in my Bills community go every year, I'd probably get tickets with them so at least I'd have a group with me.
I can deal with jokes as long as it isn't serious like that...that's why I was asking. If I'm better off leaving my Bills gear at home then I'd do that.
If I do go though, a bunch of fans in my Bills community go every year, I'd probably get tickets with them so at least I'd have a group with me.
We have a mini tailgate every game in the Dock Lot & this year had a good time before & after the game with 4 Bills' Fans. Good guys & good natured teasing, but we all lamented the loss of our QBs after..
Mike
-
I've lived in different parts of the country and worn different visiting teams' stuff to different stadiums/arenas, etc., and I've never had a problem. Like some of the guys have said, it's probably almost exclusively based on the way you act. I suppose there is the chance that you run into that one maniac who attacks you for no reason, but I don't think you can account for that/rule that out anywhere. I always just kind of take my chances that as long as I'm civil and good-natured, there will be enough like-minded people around that nothing will end up going too far.
I live outside of Pittsburgh (but in Ohio), and most of the people I know around here are Pittsburgh fans. I went to a Browns game in Pittsburgh one year recently and the game mattered to the Steelers (I don't remember the details). I took a lot of good-natured ribbing, and I think some people even jokingly through some popcorn at me, but nothing got offensive or out of hand. Contrarily, I've heard that a lot of Browns fans have run into problems at games in Pittsburgh. I really think a lot of it has to do with how you yourself act. Outside of that, like I said, you can't really account for the one psycho amongst the 40k people.
Oh, and by the way, if you win the Heisman and rush for 2,000yds in a 14-game season, you should GET to kill 2 people.
I've lived in different parts of the country and worn different visiting teams' stuff to different stadiums/arenas, etc., and I've never had a problem. Like some of the guys have said, it's probably almost exclusively based on the way you act. I suppose there is the chance that you run into that one maniac who attacks you for no reason, but I don't think you can account for that/rule that out anywhere. I always just kind of take my chances that as long as I'm civil and good-natured, there will be enough like-minded people around that nothing will end up going too far.
I live outside of Pittsburgh (but in Ohio), and most of the people I know around here are Pittsburgh fans. I went to a Browns game in Pittsburgh one year recently and the game mattered to the Steelers (I don't remember the details). I took a lot of good-natured ribbing, and I think some people even jokingly through some popcorn at me, but nothing got offensive or out of hand. Contrarily, I've heard that a lot of Browns fans have run into problems at games in Pittsburgh. I really think a lot of it has to do with how you yourself act. Outside of that, like I said, you can't really account for the one psycho amongst the 40k people.
Oh, and by the way, if you win the Heisman and rush for 2,000yds in a 14-game season, you should GET to kill 2 people.
There are always lots of Bills fans here when Buffalo comes to town...Hell my section looked like
a Bills home game this year and it was a Thurs nite game...
...Lucky for them we won! LOL
Wear your shit enjoy the game!
Thanks again guys, good to know.
I was a little worried for two reasons-
1) Dieter's comments on RMG. I didn't think Browns fans were like that, but he came off different. Guess he is not a representative.
2) My own experience at Bills games. Unfortunately, like Dieter might not be a representative for you guys, I may not be the representative of Bills fans. The group I post on is an invite only site so basically only classy individuals get to post, because a lot of Bills fans are douches. I brought a girl who was a Miami fan to the night game a couple years ago, because she had never been to an NFL game and really wanted to go. I spent the whole summer prepping her, telling her the tailgate would be fine because those are my people (from my forum) and they'd be cool with her. I told her once we left to keep to herself. Literally soon as we left she started talking to random Bills fans in the lots and was getting fucked with. She ended up getting kicked out after another girl dumped a beer on her head so she spit at her. I've seen some screwed up shit at Bills games and I wouldn't want to be on the opposite end of it.
From what you guys are telling me though, I wouldn't have a problem. Of course, Bills vs Miami is like Cleveland vs Pittsburgh, so our fans get a bit more intense for that rivalry.
-
I can deal with jokes as long as it isn't serious like that...that's why I was asking. If I'm better off leaving my Bills gear at home then I'd do that.
If I do go though, a bunch of fans in my Bills community go every year, I'd probably get tickets with them so at least I'd have a group with me.
We have a mini tailgate every game in the Dock Lot & this year had a good time before & after the game with 4 Bills' Fans. Good guys & good natured teasing, but we all lamented the loss of our QBs after..
Mike
We have a mini tailgate every game in the Dock Lot & this year had a good time before & after the game with 4 Bills' Fans. Good guys & good natured teasing, but we all lamented the loss of our QBs after..
Mike
As someone who had both Gordon and Cameron on my fantasy team, I lamented the loss of Hoyer as well....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login