Skip to content

A Bills fan's take on Pettine

The Browns Board
33 10 1.3k
  • androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Hey all, I'm a Bills fan, and thought I'd let you know what we think about Pettine.

    First, I'd like to say I've always felt a camaraderie with Browns fans, since we've both experienced a lot of misery. With that said, stealing our coach puts somewhat a dent in those friendly feelings, lol.

    I'd also like to say, if you live in Cleveland and know of RMG, I live in Rochester so I also listen to it every morning. I heard some of the thoughts on the hiring from Cleveland fans from the show this morning.

    So here we go. Basically, I think a lot of Bills fans would tell you if we had it our way, we would have rather just promoted Pettine to HC and let Marrone go. Pettine is a hard-nosed "football guy", he lets his play do the talking rather than using cliche football speak.

    He took our defense, which had been historically bad the past couple years, and made them elite. I know the yardage/points metrics make his defense look average, but that doesn't tell the whole story. For one, a struggling offense and a terrible special teams did the D no favors. His defense was 2nd in sacks and 2nd in INTs. According to PFF's DVOA which gives a more accurate depiction of a defense's overall performance, his D was 4th in the league.

    One thing I heard this morning on the radio that I had to take issue with, was the sentiment that "We beat his defense last year, and now we hired him?" I do not think that is fair. We both lost our quarterbacks that game, the difference is that your replacement had started games already. Our replacement at QB was an undrafted rookie who had the worst QB performance I'd ever seen. It was so bad we signed Matt Flynn and promoted our practice squad QB to replace him the next week. Basically, it wasn't Pettine that failed that game, it was a terrible QB who had something like six 3-And-Outs in a row when he entered the game.

    Not that our organization is much better, but I felt bad for you guys that coaches were spurning you, with all the talent on your squad. Your defense was already solid, it will be gangbusters with Pettine at the helm. You have some solid players on offense, getting the right QB in the draft and finding the right offensive coordinator will be key. I just hope your front office doesn't get in the way of success. The contrast is clear from the quotes yesterday...your front office guys are talking about the 3 Stooges like it's some comedy, while Pettine is talking about bloodying noses. Pettine's bloody nose quote nearly brought a tear to my eye.

    To conclude, I'm going to just throw out some random notes.

    -My brother moved to Cleveland for Law School, adopted the Browns, and still lives there. As pissed as I am you took Pettine, I'm still rooting for ya.

    -As a Bills fan, I was hoping Pettine would get this opportunity. That's why he got out from under Rex Ryan. I just hoped we'd have one more year with him.

    -In training camp, he was being likened to Darth Vader. While other coaches wore our red white and blue, he would wear dark grey and have that serious demeanor while he looked over the team. That's not to say he'll "Schiano" you, but he is an imposing presence who will whip guys into shape.

    -Finally, if you aren't already aware, his father is the most winning high school coach in Pennsylvania history. Mike Jr got his coaching start under his father, before getting the HC job of a rival high school. This is all documented in a DVD called "The Last Game", which is a great watch. I saw this a few years ago, and I was very excited when the Bills first hired Pettine because of it. Here is a link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Game-Mike-Pettine/dp/B0000W5H9M

    Hope this was of any help. I'll keep this tab open for the night and try to answer any questions if you'd like. And I hope we crush you next year for stealing our coach, lol.

  • OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by Osiris
    #2

    Thanks for the classy post, Androk. I think Pettine is what the Browns need (from a character/personality stand point), so I'm generally pleased by the hire. It was pretty clear from watching the Browns games at the end of the season that many of the players had already given up on the season. I don't think Pettine is the kind of guy who would tolerate that.

    So now that we stole your head coach, what can you tell us about Jim O'Neil, your linebacker coach that Pettine appears to want to snag for our DC?

  • androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Some individual player notes:

    Mario Williams had his best year as a pro under Pettine.

    Leodis McKelvin had been pretty much written off as a bust, and turned into a solid corner under Pettine.

    Half our secondary (Byrd and Gilmore) was out the first half of the season, the D still performed well without them.

    Jerry Hughes had a breakout year under Pettine.

    Former Pro Bowl players Kyle Williams and Jairus Byrd maintained their Pro-Bowl level.

    --------------------------------

    The biggest knock was our run defense. I attribute this to three things.

    Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams are both 3 tech DTs. Basically, they are both penetrating pass rushers. We don't have a run stuffer like Phil Taylor. That's the fault of our front office.

    Kiko Alonzo played every down as a rookie. He is a phenomenal talent for sure, but he over-pursued frequently leading to long rushing gains.

    Our linebacker next to Alonzo was split between Nigel Bradham and Arthur Moats, neither of whom showed an acumen for stuffing the run.

  • Thanks for the classy post, Androk. I think Pettine is what the Browns need (from a character/personality stand point), so I'm generally pleased by the hire. It was pretty clear from watching the Browns games at the end of the season that many of the players had already given up on the season. I don't think Pettine is the kind of guy who would tolerate that.

    So now that we stole your head coach, what can you tell us about Jim O'Neil, your linebacker coach that Pettine appears to want to snag for our DC?

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by androk
    #4

    @osiris said:

    Thanks for the classy post, Androk. I think Pettine is what the Browns need (from a character/personality stand point), so I'm generally pleased by the hire. It was pretty clear from watching the Browns games at the end of the season that many of the players had already given up on the season. I don't think Pettine is the kind of guy who would tolerate that.

    So now that we stole your head coach, what can you tell us about Jim O'Neil, your linebacker coach that Pettine appears to want to snag for our DC?

    I can't say there is much knowledge I have about O'Neil. He was the outside linebacker coach (we fired our inside linebacker coach after the season), Manny Lawson performed decent for us. I'm not sure how much impact he had on Jerry Hughes, since Pettine runs a hybrid scheme and it's hard to get a gauge on Hughes as a 'tweener'. If O'Neil had anything to do with Hughes, then I'd say kudos to him.
    The most I can say on that subject is Pettine will undoubtedly be running your D, not O'Neil (at least I would hope). Similar to Pettine's role in NY...Pettine was the coordinator but everyone knew Rex was running the show. That's why Pettine left NY to make a name for himself.
    Not to throw cold water on it all, but I have to remark about players giving up at the end of the year. There were a couple games in the last month where the defense came out on fire, got the ball back for our offense the first couple possessions, then seemingly fizzled after the O did nothing with it. Perhaps that is part of the culture of losing both our franchises are accustomed to. Maybe if Pettine is the head man he can do more to prevent that than he could in Buffalo as a coordinator. Coach Marrone frequently speaks of "culture change" and players giving up at the end of the year is a huge part of that.
    FWIW, Marrone helped Pettine prepare for his interview since Marrone had interviewed with Cleveland last year. I do believe Pettine learned some things about the culture change philosophy while working under Marrone. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done.
    I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.
  • @osiris said:

    Thanks for the classy post, Androk. I think Pettine is what the Browns need (from a character/personality stand point), so I'm generally pleased by the hire. It was pretty clear from watching the Browns games at the end of the season that many of the players had already given up on the season. I don't think Pettine is the kind of guy who would tolerate that.

    So now that we stole your head coach, what can you tell us about Jim O'Neil, your linebacker coach that Pettine appears to want to snag for our DC?

    I can't say there is much knowledge I have about O'Neil. He was the outside linebacker coach (we fired our inside linebacker coach after the season), Manny Lawson performed decent for us. I'm not sure how much impact he had on Jerry Hughes, since Pettine runs a hybrid scheme and it's hard to get a gauge on Hughes as a 'tweener'. If O'Neil had anything to do with Hughes, then I'd say kudos to him.
    The most I can say on that subject is Pettine will undoubtedly be running your D, not O'Neil (at least I would hope). Similar to Pettine's role in NY...Pettine was the coordinator but everyone knew Rex was running the show. That's why Pettine left NY to make a name for himself.
    Not to throw cold water on it all, but I have to remark about players giving up at the end of the year. There were a couple games in the last month where the defense came out on fire, got the ball back for our offense the first couple possessions, then seemingly fizzled after the O did nothing with it. Perhaps that is part of the culture of losing both our franchises are accustomed to. Maybe if Pettine is the head man he can do more to prevent that than he could in Buffalo as a coordinator. Coach Marrone frequently speaks of "culture change" and players giving up at the end of the year is a huge part of that.
    FWIW, Marrone helped Pettine prepare for his interview since Marrone had interviewed with Cleveland last year. I do believe Pettine learned some things about the culture change philosophy while working under Marrone. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done.
    I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.
    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by Osiris
    #5

    @androk said:

    I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.

    There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #6

    on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

  • @androk said:

    I don't say all this to say Pettine will allow players to become complacent down the stretch, but as Buffalo fans can attest, sometimes the issues are deeper than just the coaching, which is why the 3 Stooges remark from your FO made me shake my head. Hopefully Marrone can change our culture, and Pettine yours.

    There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @osiris said:

    There's some history to that remark you might not be aware of, and believe me I'm not defending Banner, he has yet to completely win me over as a fan. The day they fired Chudzinski, a reporter in a press conference remarked that one of the fans posted on his outlet's facebook page that Lombardi, Haslem, and Banner were the Three Stooges. The comment was seen as disrespectful to the FO by some and rightfully deserved by others. It made a few waves in the the Cleveland media and twitterverse. So it didn't just come out of nowhere.

    That certainly adds some perspective, though I still think a stronger FO would dismiss the remark and move on. Unfortunately, I could see our CEO Russ Brandon acting the same way.

    Just my opinion, but I'd rather a front office be focused 110% on football and not what the media is saying. I doubt successful front office men are paying attention to their Facebook page.

  • on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @miktoxic said:

    on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

  • S Spectralcow wrote on last edited by
    #9

    We don't do that in Cleveland. You're thinking Pittsburgh.

  • @miktoxic said:

    on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @androk said:

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    It's the same as in most any stadium. Just don't act like a jackass. Cheer for your team but don't be an asshole.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #11

    here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.

  • @androk said:

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    It's the same as in most any stadium. Just don't act like a jackass. Cheer for your team but don't be an asshole.

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @mark-o said:

    @spectralcow said:

    We don't do that in Cleveland. You're thinking Pittsburgh.

    It's the same as in most any stadium. Just don't act like a jackass. Cheer for your team but don't be an asshole.

    My experience as a Bills fan is most fans are good natured, but it only takes one asshole to ruin someone's day. I'll give opposing fans a good natured ribbing, then ask them if they are enjoying their experience. I just know a lot of fans aren't like that. Dieter on RMG was talking about how he pours piss on opposing fans, obviously I don't want that to happen.

    I'm not one to run my mouth, but I'd probably want to wear my colors. I wouldn't want to get messed with just because I have an EJ Manuel jersey on.

  • @miktoxic said:

    on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    7 7moses7 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @androk said:

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    Don't walk the Muni lot with a Bills jersey you may get harassed.

  • here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @miktoxic said:

    here's my advice: buy a browns' manziel jersey and wear it even though you're silently rooting for buffalo. go home stick it in a bag and 3 weeks later it'll become a collector's item after he get's dismembered on the field.

    Haha. When I say my brother adopted the Browns, he is just a casual fan....nowhere near as die-hard as me. For his law-school graduation, I got him a Jim Brown jersey. He was asking for a T-Rich....I told him he didn't want him, he might be off the team in a couple years..................

  • @androk said:

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    Don't walk the Muni lot with a Bills jersey you may get harassed.

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @7moses7 said:

    Don't walk the Muni lot with a Bills jersey you may get harassed.

    I can deal with jokes as long as it isn't serious like that...that's why I was asking. If I'm better off leaving my Bills gear at home then I'd do that.

    If I do go though, a bunch of fans in my Bills community go every year, I'd probably get tickets with them so at least I'd have a group with me.

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #16

    If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.

    Good luck to your Bills this year.

    BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!

    Mike

  • androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Ice Dawg19 said:

    Where an O.J. jersey. It'll be fun.

    See....I feel bad you lost your team for a few years. But OJ man....our most famous player ever......

    Sad thing is I'll make posts saying we need to take him off our Wall of Fame, and most Bills fans disagree with me 😕

  • @miktoxic said:

    on a serious note (and i mean this):

    "stay classy buffalo!"

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    BrownB499B BrownB499 wrote on last edited by BrownB499
    #18

    @androk said:

    I hope to attend a Bills game in Cleveland with my brother some day....any advice so I don't get harassed/assaulted?

    There are always lots of Bills fans here when Buffalo comes to town...Hell my section looked like

    a Bills home game this year and it was a Thurs nite game...

    ...Lucky for them we won! LOL

    Wear your shit enjoy the game!

  • S Spectralcow wrote on last edited by Spectralcow
    #19

    I've lived in different parts of the country and worn different visiting teams' stuff to different stadiums/arenas, etc., and I've never had a problem. Like some of the guys have said, it's probably almost exclusively based on the way you act. I suppose there is the chance that you run into that one maniac who attacks you for no reason, but I don't think you can account for that/rule that out anywhere. I always just kind of take my chances that as long as I'm civil and good-natured, there will be enough like-minded people around that nothing will end up going too far.

    I live outside of Pittsburgh (but in Ohio), and most of the people I know around here are Pittsburgh fans. I went to a Browns game in Pittsburgh one year recently and the game mattered to the Steelers (I don't remember the details). I took a lot of good-natured ribbing, and I think some people even jokingly through some popcorn at me, but nothing got offensive or out of hand. Contrarily, I've heard that a lot of Browns fans have run into problems at games in Pittsburgh. I really think a lot of it has to do with how you yourself act. Outside of that, like I said, you can't really account for the one psycho amongst the 40k people.

    Oh, and by the way, if you win the Heisman and rush for 2,000yds in a 14-game season, you should GET to kill 2 people.

  • If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.

    Good luck to your Bills this year.

    BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!

    Mike

    androkA androk wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @canton-mike said:

    If you act at a game as you've conducted yourself in this thread, you'll have no problem.

    Good luck to your Bills this year.

    BTW, I LOVE the wings at the Anchor Bar!

    Mike

    Good to hear man, thanks.

    I went to Anchor Bar once, it was awesome. I hear Duffs is where it's at though. (I'm from Rochester, about 90 miles east of Buffalo.....though, the Bills hold Training Camp less than a mile away from my house)