Skip to content

FA's worth a look?

The Browns Board
64 23 2.2k
  • C Cielo wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Donald Brown

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Rumor has it, Andre Johnson is available.

  • Im confused as to why some people are worried about money. We have so much cap space, from my understanding its hovering around 24 mil. If anyone can provide a large contract its us. Decker is worth the money. I want a proven wr that is strong and tall. Also, we need to take the pressure off of Gordon.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @gobrowns-0 said:

    Im confused as to why some people are worried about money. We have so much cap space, from my understanding its hovering around 24 mil. If anyone can provide a large contract its us. Decker is worth the money. I want a proven wr that is strong and tall. Also, we need to take the pressure off of Gordon.

    They may have a lot of cap space, but they still have to worry about money. Having that money...you want to put it to good use, not piss it away with bad decisions.

    I, for one, have no confidence in Mike Lombardi to not make poor personell decisions. So you have that factor to worry about.

  • S Spectralcow wrote on last edited by Spectralcow
    #34

    I'm agreed that there is no point in pissing away cap space. No point in going all Dan Snyder or Al Davis. That being said, the Browns are almost always too conservative with money, which is why almost every off-season we're talking about how much cap space there is, but the team never gets better. It's only better to have it if, at some point, you spend it productively. If you just hold onto it year after year after year, in a practical sense, you're just playing with a lower salary cap than everyone else.

  • GoBrowns 0G GoBrowns 0 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Decker would be a fantastic purchase, ha. Gordon in my opinion is the best in the league 14 games with that amount of production is amazing. This guy is a manimal, but with regard to the other wideouts on the browns, Gordon's play is polar opposite. I want a balanced field and Decker will give us that equilibrium.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mike-h said:

    These are the guys I want, but could easily see them only going after one middle-to-top tier FA and doing the rest in the draft.

    Riley Cooper WR, should come cheap, good player. Much better Cooper than the one currently on roster.

    Jon Asomoah OG, spend some cash, get a stud interior lineman. Lauvao has always been trash, not sure where Greco will play next year.... C or G? Depends on Macks future. Either way, if they don't get him, draft multiple guards.

    Ben Tate RB, at the right price. If not draft two RBs.

    Alterraun Verner would be amazing at CB. Not sure they want to invest a lot of cash in a CB, but he's the guy to spend it on if they want. See them drafting one instead.

    That's it.

    Cooper and Asomoah would be good grabs, IMO.

    Zombo

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @mike-h said:

    These are the guys I want, but could easily see them only going after one middle-to-top tier FA and doing the rest in the draft.

    Riley Cooper WR, should come cheap, good player. Much better Cooper than the one currently on roster.

    Jon Asomoah OG, spend some cash, get a stud interior lineman. Lauvao has always been trash, not sure where Greco will play next year.... C or G? Depends on Macks future. Either way, if they don't get him, draft multiple guards.

    Ben Tate RB, at the right price. If not draft two RBs.

    Alterraun Verner would be amazing at CB. Not sure they want to invest a lot of cash in a CB, but he's the guy to spend it on if they want. See them drafting one instead.

    That's it.

    I can get behind this one for sure. I would like to see the addition of Jarius Byrd though. Add him and we have the best secondary in football, upgrade OL and stud RB

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Donald Butler is another name to keep an eye on.

  • I'm agreed that there is no point in pissing away cap space. No point in going all Dan Snyder or Al Davis. That being said, the Browns are almost always too conservative with money, which is why almost every off-season we're talking about how much cap space there is, but the team never gets better. It's only better to have it if, at some point, you spend it productively. If you just hold onto it year after year after year, in a practical sense, you're just playing with a lower salary cap than everyone else.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @spectralcow said:

    I'm agreed that there is no point in pissing away cap space. No point in going all Dan Snyder or Al Davis. That being said, the Browns are almost always too conservative with money, which is why almost every off-season we're talking about how much cap space there is, but the team never gets better. It's only better to have it if, at some point, you spend it productively. If you just hold onto it year after year after year, in a practical sense, you're just playing with a lower salary cap than everyone else.

    Well, I don't think under the new CBA that a team can go all that much lower than other teams on their salary. I believe, perhaps starting as early as this year teams MUST pay like 90-95% of the cap space to players. In other words, their is a floor as well as a cap.

  • S Spectralcow wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Good news to my ears if they use it right.

  • I need to hear what we plan on doing with the defense before I make opinions on FA's. If we stay in the 3-4 I would absolutely suggest targeting Orakpo. If someone would take Krugers contract off our hands that would work out well. If we go to the 4-3 than that Cincy guy might not be a bad idea.

    CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by CLEinCHI
    #41

    @clevfan4life said:

    I need to hear what we plan on doing with the defense before I make opinions on FA's. If we stay in the 3-4 I would absolutely suggest targeting Orakpo. If someone would take Krugers contract off our hands that would work out well. If we go to the 4-3 than that Cincy guy might not be a bad idea.

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

  • @spectralcow said:

    I'm agreed that there is no point in pissing away cap space. No point in going all Dan Snyder or Al Davis. That being said, the Browns are almost always too conservative with money, which is why almost every off-season we're talking about how much cap space there is, but the team never gets better. It's only better to have it if, at some point, you spend it productively. If you just hold onto it year after year after year, in a practical sense, you're just playing with a lower salary cap than everyone else.

    Well, I don't think under the new CBA that a team can go all that much lower than other teams on their salary. I believe, perhaps starting as early as this year teams MUST pay like 90-95% of the cap space to players. In other words, their is a floor as well as a cap.

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I don't think under the new CBA that a team can go all that much lower than other teams on their salary. I believe, perhaps starting as early as this year teams MUST pay like 90-95% of the cap space to players. In other words, their is a floor as well as a cap.

    it started last year I believe, and its 90% over a rolling 3 year period.
  • @clevfan4life said:

    I need to hear what we plan on doing with the defense before I make opinions on FA's. If we stay in the 3-4 I would absolutely suggest targeting Orakpo. If someone would take Krugers contract off our hands that would work out well. If we go to the 4-3 than that Cincy guy might not be a bad idea.

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @cleinchi said:

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

  • @cleinchi said:

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by bbedward
    #44

    @jcam222 said:

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    His contract outweighs his production. They'll either restructure or cut him. My guess is they'll be able to restructure.

    He actually has a bonus due in march, that they probably don't wanna give him.

  • @cleinchi said:

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @jcam222 said:

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    Because he is very average, really, and would cost too much money to keep him. Money that could be used on better players.

    Really, can anyone here say that "D'Qwell Jackson is a defensive difference maker". I, for one, cannot. Serviceable, maybe, but he is NOT an impact player. I think this team can really use an impact player at ILB.

    In fact, to my mind ILB is probably the #2 personell priority.

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #46

    I disagree that he is average. He likely would not last long on the FA market in my opinion. He is also a high character solid leader on the team and that is important. This team (especially after the Chud fiasco) has got to show some loyalty somewhere. If they don't we wont even be able to overpay players to come here. I would hope at the very least we could do a contract restructure. If you get rid of DQ you need two ILB.

  • I disagree that he is average. He likely would not last long on the FA market in my opinion. He is also a high character solid leader on the team and that is important. This team (especially after the Chud fiasco) has got to show some loyalty somewhere. If they don't we wont even be able to overpay players to come here. I would hope at the very least we could do a contract restructure. If you get rid of DQ you need two ILB.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #47

    @jcam222 said:

    I disagree that he is average. He likely would not last long on the FA market in my opinion. He is also a high character solid leader on the team and that is important. This team (especially after the Chud fiasco) has got to show some loyalty somewhere. If they don't we wont even be able to overpay players to come here. I would hope at the very least we could do a contract restructure. If you get rid of DQ you need two ILB.

    I agree that DQJ would not last long on the FA market....and that he is high character and a leader...and that that is important.

    But, as far as I am concerned, none of those raise his talent level which IS average. Everything you say may be reasons to keep him....and I am fine if they do keep him as that veteran leader. (It ain't my money so WTF do I care what they pay him). But, in keeping him, I also feel that the need to find and develop his.....more talented...replacement.

    (but, yes, I also agree that we do need 2 ILBs....both he and Robertson are not top talent....and maybe we will have to go about it slowly and get a replacement for only one. That doesn't change the analysis)

  • T Taco918 wrote on last edited by Taco918
    #48

    We need to stick with the draft for offensive skill positions. No point in spending big money on a player with question marks (Decker w/o Manning, Tate and injuries ect) when you can draft a younger player with more potential on the cheap. Sure it's a risk, all signings are, but if you don't hit on a draft pick your not stuck with 10, 20, 30 mil worth of dead money on your cap. Look at the Cowboys and Raiders. The Cowboys will be struggling to restructure contracts just to stay a hair under the cap for years to come and the Raiders have finally after this past year cleaned up their books from Al Davis. How long has he been gone?

    Edit: I guess I should specify what I believe we should do with our cap space. Keep our own (Ward and Mack), look to pick up some OL, ILB, and CB depth on the cheap (although I could handle a bit of a splurge for G) and start preparing offers for Haden and Cameron. We have a good, young foundation to build upon, which we acquired from the draft I should add. Lock up the foundation and keep adding young pieces. This is the closest we've been to having a legit team since 99. There's no reason to change course now.

  • @cleinchi said:

    Getting rid of Kruger would be a mistake, I understand that his numbers were nothing special, but he played contain the majority of the time...Kruger is our best LB, especially against the run.

    There is no such thing as a 3-4 or 4-3 in Pettine's defense...much like Horton's it will be about matchups, personnel and situation on a week by week basis. Our front 7 has one glaring hole...Inside Linebacker...even if DQ is back (I suspect he will be gone) Robertson is a backup at best, if they cut DQ I could see them getting a decent ILB in FA and drafting one... an investment in the salary Orakpo would command in FA (if he even gets to FA) would leave us hard pressed to resign any young talent we have started to see creep up...

    The FO will try to resolve the majority of issues in the Draft, spend that salary cap to invest in its young players and build from there...which I think is exactly what I want to see them do.

    We are a QB away from being a winning team.

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @jcam222 said:

    Nice summary, why do you think they will cut DQ?

    I think they will cut him because since this is a match-up type of defense and not a base defense system... DQ's physical abilities do not provide enough return for his cap number and bonus number. DQ has been one of my favorite players since 99' but he is much better suited for a system that run a more traditional 4-3 as a system as he will not create the positive match up for this system to be it's most effective.

    As Phil Jackson has been the zen master to controlling egos Banner (whether you like him or not) has been the zen master of managing salary cap ...below is a link to a story from 2012..the quotes from Joe Banner tell me that he takes a very analytically approach to connecting value to a player... when I let go of what I like about DQ as a leader I would be shocked to see us retain him....

    http://articles.mcall.com/2012-04-28/sports/mc-eagles-salary-cap-0428-20120428_1_salary-cap-desean-jackson-eagles-president-joe-banner

  • I disagree that he is average. He likely would not last long on the FA market in my opinion. He is also a high character solid leader on the team and that is important. This team (especially after the Chud fiasco) has got to show some loyalty somewhere. If they don't we wont even be able to overpay players to come here. I would hope at the very least we could do a contract restructure. If you get rid of DQ you need two ILB.

    CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by CLEinCHI
    #50

    @jcam222 said:

    I disagree that he is average. He likely would not last long on the FA market in my opinion. He is also a high character solid leader on the team and that is important. This team (especially after the Chud fiasco) has got to show some loyalty somewhere. If they don't we wont even be able to overpay players to come here. I would hope at the very least we could do a contract restructure. If you get rid of DQ you need two ILB.

    The sentiment of loyalty and character is overvalued when it comes to evaluating talent, which is harsh and kind of a dick thing to say, but it is true...I would imagine the front office response to the question of what it owes the fan is ... " a winner" and if they feel that a player, no matter how loyal, is not putting them in the best position to win - see you later- the impulsive side of me says "dude you are an asshole Joe Banner" but when I put it in the context of winning I say " Thank you Joe Banner for being the asshole necessary for us to win" Now we just have to start winning..which will come with a championship level QB.