Football Gameplan's 2014 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings - QBs
-
What makes you think we need a QB?

-
Outstanding analysis.
-
Terrific stuff as always, Dig.
-
-
You also seem to be going against the grain with ranking Bortles as a third round pick?
-
Interesting. A few comments:
You said you saw Bridgewater as almost as good as Andrew Luck. You may be the only person to hold that opinion.
The Johnny Manziel comparison to Colin Kaepernick is very interesting....and perhaps astute. I have not heard anyone else make that comparison....but thinking about it, I think it works.
Having Jeff Matthews of Cornell as an early second rounder is also quite at variance with most others...who have him 7th round/UFA rated. I don't know if I think he should be taken as high as you say, but I think you are good on having him a bit higher than most others do.
You also obviously vary with most others on Bortles, some of whom have him going as high as #1 overall. Some see him as a Ben Roethlisberger type, which would be good. I personally don't know if he could be that....or if he is a 3rd rounder like you say.
Your comparison of Tajh Boyd to David Garrad or Jeff Blake is faint praise....but perhaps accurate.
And your comparison of Mettenberger to Brandon Weeden could be damning praise.
Also, some say that AJ McCarron could be the next Bart Starr type QB: low rated (Starr was a 17th round pick), game manager type....but a winner.
I also noted that you seemed to doing scouting for the CFL as well as the NFL....suggesting that a few people should seek employment up there. Is that really their best option...for the likes of Boyd and others?
On the small college front that you spend some time on. I guess you are looking for the next Kurt Warner/Tony Romo. They could be in there.
What I do note is that some of those small college QBs are what I would call "Tweeners". Guys who are 6'2" in stature, but who, with their talent and a 6'4-6'5 frame would be much higher rated. (and who would have probably gone to larger profile schools.)
Fair to say?
-
Can't wait to check this out when I get off work. You always have good stuff.
-
Outstanding analysis.
Outstanding analysis.
Thanks DHB!
Terrific stuff as always, Dig.
Prreciate that Buddy!
Enjoyed the video thanks, good info there. I am a bit surprised by how high you rank Matthews.................
Thanks Jcam! I've seen a lot of Mathews both on film and in person & I must say…he's been very impressive each and every time
You also seem to be going against the grain with ranking Bortles as a third round pick?
I really wish he could've stayed that extra year…I get the 'strike while the iron is hot' but I think another year of 'cleaner' play would've served him well
Interesting. A few comments:
You said you saw Bridgewater as almost as good as Andrew Luck. You may be the only person to hold that opinion.
He's as polished & has minimal holes in his game as did Luck coming out
The Johnny Manziel comparison to Colin Kaepernick is very interesting....and perhaps astute. I have not heard anyone else make that comparison....but thinking about it, I think it works.
Both guys have that 'Frenetic'-like pace in the pocket…almost like every play is 3rd down, goal to go, down by 4
Having Jeff Matthews of Cornell as an early second rounder is also quite at variance with most others...who have him 7th round/UFA rated. I don't know if I think he should be taken as high as you say, but I think you are good on having him a bit higher than most others do.
BIG fan of his game…He was also the best QB at the Shrine Game all week long, but the mass media wanted to hype Garoppolo which was bizarre to me
You also obviously vary with most others on Bortles, some of whom have him going as high as #1 overall. Some see him as a Ben Roethlisberger type, which would be good. I personally don't know if he could be that....or if he is a 3rd rounder like you say.
IMHO, there's still a lot of questions about his game…Despite his numbers, he's wildly inconsistent
Your comparison of Tajh Boyd to David Garrad or Jeff Blake is faint praise....but perhaps accurate.
I wonder how much better would he do outside of Dabu Swinney running him like a fullback 15 times a game
And your comparison of Mettenberger to Brandon Weeden could be damning praise.
Lol! Not much needs to be said there huh?
Also, some say that AJ McCarron could be the next Bart Starr type QB: low rated (Starr was a 17th round pick), game manager type....but a winner.
I also noted that you seemed to doing scouting for the CFL as well as the NFL....suggesting that a few people should seek employment up there. Is that really their best option...for the likes of Boyd and others?
They may not think it's the best option..but if the goal is to play ball & get paid, then they may have to revisit that. I wish the salaries were just a little bit more comparable
On the small college front that you spend some time on. I guess you are looking for the next Kurt Warner/Tony Romo. They could be in there.
What I do note is that some of those small college QBs are what I would call "Tweeners". Guys who are 6'2" in stature, but who, with their talent and a 6'4-6'5 frame would be much higher rated. (and who would have probably gone to larger profile schools.)
Fair to say?
That's fair and a lot of times, guys like these are late bloomers coming out of High School
Can't wait to check this out when I get off work. You always have good stuff.
Thanks HD!
-
-
Good analysis. I like that you put your projected round grade in there as well. Good stuff.
-
Enjoyed your analysis. Like the over hyped WRs a couple years ago, I feel there are many over-rated QBs in this draft. Nice to see someone look at them more logically. Now let's wait & see who picks 'em & WHERE they pick 'em. I still want to take a flyer on Johnny early & grab another QB later, in the 4th & 5th round range.
Mike
-
Great give and take Em.
Now, are we also going to see your rankings on other positions? E.g. I say the Browns have a desperate need for ILB. Lets see what you come up with there.
-
Great give and take Em.
Now, are we also going to see your rankings on other positions? E.g. I say the Browns have a desperate need for ILB. Lets see what you come up with there.
Great give and take Em.
Now, are we also going to see your rankings on other positions? E.g. I say the Browns have a desperate need for ILB. Lets see what you come up with there.
I was thinking OG.
-
Wide receiver. Watkins or Lee or Beckham?
-
-
I'd also be interested to hear your take on Hoyer, and where you see him ranking against those QBs, and in the league in general.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login