Skip to content

Dan Quinn

The Browns Board
25 15 1.2k
  • Yes it's stupid. And why does the media feel the need to keep taking shots at the Browns? Because that's all this article is trying to do.

  • Who gives a shit. Whats done is done. Could have, would have, should have. Fuck it.

  • The NFL should institute a rule: No team can interview for an open HC job until after the SB is done. That way every team would have the same access to potential HC candidates.....and no potential HC candidate would get shut out of job consideration because they were so good at their job that their team plays in the Super Bowl.

  • Great reactions above... Makes me proud of this board...

    Plus, as TC pointed out in another thread, Seattle D was Carroll's D...

  • That's a good rule Gipper.

    WSS

  • That's a good rule Gipper.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    That's a good rule Gipper.

    WSS

    yep. With as official as the Rooney rule is it would keep teams from secretly violating that rule.
  • I sure don't feel as though I was punched in the gut. It's just the perception people have of us that is portrayed in national media.

    There has to be a fan base that people pity so they don't feel as bad when their team sucks.

  • The NFL should institute a rule: No team can interview for an open HC job until after the SB is done. That way every team would have the same access to potential HC candidates.....and no potential HC candidate would get shut out of job consideration because they were so good at their job that their team plays in the Super Bowl.

    @the-gipper said:

    The NFL should institute a rule: No team can interview for an open HC job until after the SB is done. That way every team would have the same access to potential HC candidates.....and no potential HC candidate would get shut out of job consideration because they were so good at their job that their team plays in the Super Bowl.

    Agree 100% if the NFL is serious about parity this is a no-brainier.

  • what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC? I like the Pettine hire, "but"....if we could have waited a week or two and still had the choice of either pettine or quinn that would have been the prudent move. I fully understand hiring Pettine before the SB if and only if there was other serious interest in him from somewhere else.....which there couldn't have been now that I think about it because we were the last team to have a HC vacancy right? So wtf? Again I like Pettine but c'mon....the Seahawks are the blueprint for all future defense's. I mean it's possible we could have hired quinn as the hc and still gotten pettine to come be his dc. I dunno...i think there's alot of things we don't know so who gives a fuck. I think we got a good dude in any case. My only issue is now leave him the fuck alone for a couple years. No fuck that, leave him alone for a bunch of fucking years. I don't want to hear anyone call for his job next year when we suck....that's the price of rebuilding in the NFL. We'll probably still suck two years from now, but if we're a little bit better in year 2 than year 1....ok, now we're workin with something. So we all just need to stfu and let some folks try to build something.

  • what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC? I like the Pettine hire, "but"....if we could have waited a week or two and still had the choice of either pettine or quinn that would have been the prudent move. I fully understand hiring Pettine before the SB if and only if there was other serious interest in him from somewhere else.....which there couldn't have been now that I think about it because we were the last team to have a HC vacancy right? So wtf? Again I like Pettine but c'mon....the Seahawks are the blueprint for all future defense's. I mean it's possible we could have hired quinn as the hc and still gotten pettine to come be his dc. I dunno...i think there's alot of things we don't know so who gives a fuck. I think we got a good dude in any case. My only issue is now leave him the fuck alone for a couple years. No fuck that, leave him alone for a bunch of fucking years. I don't want to hear anyone call for his job next year when we suck....that's the price of rebuilding in the NFL. We'll probably still suck two years from now, but if we're a little bit better in year 2 than year 1....ok, now we're workin with something. So we all just need to stfu and let some folks try to build something.

    @clevfan4life said:

    what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC?

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

  • Quinn was only the DC for one season, just like Gase in Denver. His resume is really not that impressive. He took the 2012 #4 ranked defense (coached for the previous 4 years by Gus Bradley) and like everybody said "played base defense' and won games b/c he had the better players on the field. He didn't "out coach" or "out game-plan" anybody, he just lined up his guys and said "you can't beat us." That probably won't work in Cleveland...

  • Yes it's stupid. And why does the media feel the need to keep taking shots at the Browns? Because that's all this article is trying to do.

    @tml1138 said:

    Yes it's stupid. And why does the media feel the need to keep taking shots at the Browns? Because that's all this article is trying to do.

    this is all you have to know:

    By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

    doesn't say he's affiliated in any way to any paper, magazine or the NFL itself. 'NFL' writer.

    hell you or i could be that.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC?

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

    So do I ....

    1660901_530182280414322_967536890_n.jpg

    We loved Bernie because he wanted to play in Cleveland.

    This guys wanted the job. Bad.

    I'm loving it.

    Zombo

    --Seattle will be our bitch in two years.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    what I don't know is...was Pettine going to be off the table if they waited till after the SB to hire a HC?

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    @badnewsbrowns said:

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    ^+1. Exactly. Pettine essentially told them, you have 48 hours to give me a yes\no, or I have to stay with the Bills, I owe that much too them. If Pettine was out of the picture and Quinn had said no, the Browns were FUBAR.

    @thenew23 said:

    Quinn was only the DC for one season, just like Gase in Denver. His resume is really not that impressive. He took the 2012 #4 ranked defense (coached for the previous 4 years by Gus Bradley) and like everybody said "played base defense' and won games b/c he had the better players on the field. He didn't "out coach" or "out game-plan" anybody, he just lined up his guys and said "you can't beat us." That probably won't work in Cleveland...

    If you were listening to some of the post SB analysis, Seattle runs a very vanilla D- with almost no tricks. Their thinking is "we have superior talent at every position, here we are- try and beat us".

  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    ^+1. Exactly. Pettine essentially told them, you have 48 hours to give me a yes\no, or I have to stay with the Bills, I owe that much too them. If Pettine was out of the picture and Quinn had said no, the Browns were FUBAR.

    @thenew23 said:

    Quinn was only the DC for one season, just like Gase in Denver. His resume is really not that impressive. He took the 2012 #4 ranked defense (coached for the previous 4 years by Gus Bradley) and like everybody said "played base defense' and won games b/c he had the better players on the field. He didn't "out coach" or "out game-plan" anybody, he just lined up his guys and said "you can't beat us." That probably won't work in Cleveland...

    If you were listening to some of the post SB analysis, Seattle runs a very vanilla D- with almost no tricks. Their thinking is "we have superior talent at every position, here we are- try and beat us".

    @hoorta said:

    ^+1. Exactly. Pettine essentially told them, you have 48 hours to give me a yes\no, or I have to stay with the Bills, I owe that much too them. If Pettine was out of the picture and Quinn had said no, the Browns were FUBAR.

    If you were listening to some of the post SB analysis, Seattle runs a very vanilla D- with almost no tricks. Their thinking is "we have superior talent at every position, here we are- try and beat us".

    ^^^^^ Straight up impressive^^^^^^^ Best superbowl team ever???
  • @badnewsbrowns said:

    The story is that Pettine gave them an ultimatum saying hire me now or I'm staying in Buffalo.

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

    Here's an article, via a link from nfl.com, about Pettine backing out if Browns FO didn't make a decision quickly:

    http://www.wgr550.com/Pettine-was-close-to-pulling-out-from-Browns-searc/18242795

    And I agree, the fact that this guy wanted the job "badly", and wants to get the Browns toughened up...is exciting to say the least. Love the new attitude as reflected on that billboard pic.

  • Of course so did Chud, Brady Quinn, Charlie Frye and Tim Couch. And I like all 4 of them. Just saying.

    WSS

  • Of course he has to have the skills to back that up...that's TBD...but it still needs to start with the fire and desire first.

    And the difference to me between the guys you mentioned and Pettine, is the attitude.

    They were: "Yay, I'm a Cleveland Brown, bring out the sunshine and rainbows."

    versus

    Pettine: "AFC North fb must be tough, with a damn strong defense. Now let's kill those black and gold motherfuckers."

    Nice to have staff & players who love the Browns as much as we do, but I'll take the second choice just the same.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Interesting... and I like the attitude...

    So do I ....

    1660901_530182280414322_967536890_n.jpg

    We loved Bernie because he wanted to play in Cleveland.

    This guys wanted the job. Bad.

    I'm loving it.

    Zombo

    --Seattle will be our bitch in two years.

    Zombo said:

    --Seattle will be our bitch in two years.

    LOL... Damn, Z... you have to be the most resilient motherfucker I have ever "met"...

    Here's the thing about Pettine's "ultimatim"... our FO's response to it of hiring him so flies in the face of all the "yes-man" speculation associated with the HC search, that I do not know what to believe anymore.

    Like I more or less said in a post yesterday...

    I have a feeling it's going to end up being really hard to hate this FO and ownership...

    ... but I think I can be OK with that.