Skip to content

Her Review

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
3 3 358
  • Her

    Warner Brothers

    R 126

    This year's entry in a genre best described as quirky romantic science fiction (which might include the ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND, DEFENDING YOUR LIFE etc.) called HER.

    It's not the first time that a love story between a boy and machine has been told, as a matter of fact I remember a Twilight Zone episode, but this one is especially relevant to modern life. I remember poking fun at younger people in public places hunched over their smartphones and now that I have one I'm told I'm worse than any of them. Not only are people typing in questions for the Internet to answer but actually speaking to the phone and calling it, or her, by name.

    In the not too distant future there shouldn't be any reason that we couldn't converse with these devices in the same manner we talk to our friends. Now imagine an operating system that could chat and add in the ability for it, her, to update repair and improve herself. Think Stanley Kubrick's Hal 9000 or Gene Roddenberry's V-ger with the sweet conversational yet disembodied charm of Scarlett Johanson who calls herself Samantha.

    Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) is a writer who composes love letters for customers who don't have the time or the skill to craft for themselves. He's also in the process of getting over a bad relationship and having problems dealing with the dating scene and the intimacy of everyday life. Hence Theodore and Samantha seem to be a match made in cyber heaven.

    So the whole romance hinges on whether or not I accept the voice of Johanson as a viable romantic counterpart. I did and apparently so did the Academy. From this point you will almost lose sight of the fact that she's not human as the two star crossed lovers brave the same slings and arrows we've all encountered in our youthful forays into Cupidity. <g> Think back to that high school or college love affair when one of the two parties expands their horizons and leaves the other behind.

    Remember how uncomfortable and nervous you were in the earliest stages of sexuality and love?

    And all of this set against oddball patina of an only slightly futuristic world.

    This is my favorite of the nominees so far.

    A

  • Have not seen this yet but its one of the few I have interest in. I'm a sucker for what you call quirky romantic movies. Both eternal sunshine and stranger than fiction are favorites of mine, not to mention groundhog day.

  • It was pretty good I like Phoenix... I like Scarlet Johansson a lot more it's just too bad we didn't get to see her in it.