Skip to content

The Pettine Chronicles

The Browns Board
38 15 1.4k
  • What do ya think about Pettine? Do you like him, dislike him or something in between...and why?

    I'll begin by saying what I like most about Pettine...He told Wrecks Ryan to kiss his ass, probably figuratively but I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually.

    Pettine didn't renew his contract offer from the Jets and without any job prospects. He seems to have had it with that joke of a franchise and was among several coaches and players that bailed. The contract offer was about 30 days before he interviewed with the Bills and was signed.

    There are numerous vids and articles about the event and if this thread hangs around long enough, they will likely get linked.

    FYI, Pettine is the reason I'm on this board. He's one of a kind IMO.

  • Like him. Seems like a real football guy, with traditional principles, and has run a successful D. Head coaching ability obviously untested, so let's wait and see.

  • Come back and ask us about Christmas Day.

  • Come back and ask us about Christmas Day.

    @the-gipper said:

    Come back and ask us about Christmas Day.

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

  • Yea I like him but I gotta see him on the field before I can have a real opinion about him.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Come back and ask us about Christmas Day.

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

    @gftchris said:

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

    yea...and in our case the deciding if we still want to keep our HC.

  • Who knows....Deep down we all know he is all Cleveland could get.We took who would have us.Hes basically all we got and we will go with it for at least 364 days...I hope

  • @gftchris said:

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

    yea...and in our case the deciding if we still want to keep our HC.

    @the-gipper said:

    yea...and in our case the deciding if we still want to keep our HC.

    Nah we usually do that by Halloween.

    WSS

  • Who knows....Deep down we all know he is all Cleveland could get.We took who would have us.Hes basically all we got and we will go with it for at least 364 days...I hope

    @jeffinwv said:

    Who knows....Deep down we all know he is all Cleveland could get.We took who would have us.Hes basically all we got and we will go with it for at least 364 days...I hope

    Well, that's the point of this thread...to post some stuff that will help in trying to understand the method to Pettine's madness. I was just thinking that with some insight into Pettine the man, Browns fans would gain a level of optimism that often seems to be missing in some of the comments.

    Regardless of whether Pettine was a 'bottom of the barrel choice or not, the linked articles address that choice, what Pettine thinks about it and how it will likely affect the Browns.

    http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_browns_10.html

    Excerpt 1):

    There’s much to like about Mike Pettine.

    While this is often the case with rookie head coaches who stand undefeated, even unscored upon, it’s more so with Pettine since he’s now delivered the only clarity in the muddled story of the Browns’ interest in 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh.

    "I got a phone call that the report was about to come out, and I shot the messenger a little bit," Pettine told reporters at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis on Saturday. "My first question was, 'How does that affect my tenure as the head coach?' I either used the word 'flying' followed by something or I referenced a part of a rat's body.”

    The Harbaugh story fits the personal agendas of many of those involved. That’s what’s so refreshing about Pettine and Ray Farmer. The have no agendas.

    Why would Pettine care if the Browns chased Harbaugh? Being of sound mind, he already knows he wasn’t first choice, and that his owner, team president and GM were flying to Florida to talk to Greg Schiano and entertaining the idea of Josh McDaniels in the days before the day before he was hired.

    Excerpt 2):

    Whether it disproves all the media group-think that said nobody wanted the job. Would Banner have survived if the Browns traded for Harbaugh? Maybe not. Pettine doesn’t have to care about any of it.

    "I think that's noise.,” he said Saturday. “It has no bearing on my job moving forward. That's a critical thing. A big part of being an NFL head coach involves dealing with noise and distractions. Add that to the list."

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-1/Brian-Billick-Browns-got-good-man/0bf12195-9662-45d4-b1af-a112683420ae

    Excerpt 1):

    “I wanted someone with more of a football background, a guy that we could actually sit down with, give instructions to and he would kind of understand what we were expecting,” Billick recalled. “Mike’s name came up and it was one of those things where once he came in and I saw how confident he was, I basically tried to talk him out of the job because I wanted him to understand what the job was.

    “I did everything I could to say, ‘You’d be an idiot if you took this job,’ and when I was done, he said, ‘Yep. Fine. I want it.’ I said, ‘Okay, you’ve got it.’”

    Excerpt 2):

    “Mike immediately came in and you saw he had the comprehensive abilities,” Billick said. “He started on the video side and he understood computers and grew into whatever coaching job you gave him. Rex relied on him heavily in terms of scheming, keeping that side of the ball organized. I worked closely with Mike. He organized the defensive cards and I ran both of the scout teams. You saw the organizational ability. From a personnel standpoint, (Ravens general manager) Ozzie Newsome and his staff came to recognize that Mike was an excellent evaluator of talent. He’d check off all of the boxes as he progressed through our organization that whatever task you gave him, he did it.

  • If you want a better understanding of Pettine, I hear he is heavily featured in this book:

    http://www.amazon.com/Collision-Low-Crossers-Turbulent-Football/dp/0316196797

  • @the-gipper said:

    Come back and ask us about Christmas Day.

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

    @gftchris said:

    I love Christmas day. The food, the drink, the presents and the singing, it's amazing.

    i thought you guys have 'box day'?

    i like pettine w/o really knowing anything about him. he exudes confidence and toughness, unlike the past 2 dumb (shurmur) and goober (chud) mfers we've had on the sidelines.

  • I'll let you know in October.

  • @the-gipper said:

    yea...and in our case the deciding if we still want to keep our HC.

    Nah we usually do that by Halloween.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Nah we usually do that by Halloween.

    WSS

    🙂 Didn't they give him and 8 game contract with an option for another 8?

    Mike, my feeling is we don't have any idea yet what Pettine is going to do as a HC. There's always optimism going into the season.

  • @mike-h said:

    He's a first time head coach. I like his demeanor and expect accountability from his players after losses. No Chud and Shurmur "battling" mantras.

    oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

  • in any case we all just have to stfu even if he sucks. Why? Cause if we jetcan him after a year, even if it's warranted.....we solidify our position as the worst franchise in sports. We don't get the benefit of the doubt anymore.

  • @mike-h said:

    He's a first time head coach. I like his demeanor and expect accountability from his players after losses. No Chud and Shurmur "battling" mantras.

    oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

    @clevfan4life said:

    oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

    My god, you've been possessed by the evil spirit of Ghoolie.

  • Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

  • @mike-h said:

    He's a first time head coach. I like his demeanor and expect accountability from his players after losses. No Chud and Shurmur "battling" mantras.

    oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

    @clevfan4life said:

    oh just wait. Cause the losses are coming dude. In their defense neither Chud nor SHurmur made excuses....they just said we're fighting, that's all they can say. And when I hear that they've lost the lockeroom is when I think it's time for a coach to leave. And neither CHud nor Shurmur EVER lost the lockeroom. They're forced every week to get up infront of cameras and tiptoe around the fact that ALL OF US know...that the team just isn't that talented and are missing too many crucial pieces. Pettine will look meaner in the press conferences though...I'll grant you that. But that's about it. We've been doing the same thing since 99 so what on earth do you think is going to be different this coming year? Reality is smack Pettine in the face like a huge black dick by November.

    There's a difference- Shurmur may not have lost the locker room, but as a HC He was a complete gameday buffoon coach. Chud did not only not lose the locker room, but he was at least 1\2 competent coaching the team on Sunday.

  • Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

    ^+1, a lot of really good points.

  • Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Pettine at this point is an unknown variable at HC. We know he made a great defensive coach that could squeeze blood out of turnip. We know he looks like a mean motherfucker that could possibly melt some of the cocky young bucks in the locker room just by staring them down. But as far as what he is going to bring to the browns and the success he will or will not be able to achieve we have no fucking clue. And as a lifelong browns fan I have learned to temper my enthusiasm and optimism as best I can. I think as fans we need to be a more analytical of our team (this is so much harder said than done as a browns fan as I have blindly believed year in and year out our team was going to be a complete 180 next season). We need to temper our expectations quite a bit and hope for the best but expect mediocrity or worse. I do believe given time to have significant input about building the team (particularly the D) he thinks gives us the best shot at winning that yes Pettine could be mighty successful. He has the right background and the right demeanor so far. But how many times have we had that impression only to come away after getting to know our new head coach after say 8 games saying what a total incompetent douche! Lets just prepare ourselves for that now so if and when we do have some substantial, sustained success over the next few years with Pettine we can have our cockballs blown off and be truly happy with our brownies for the first time in what feels like forever!

    From your words to the ears of Browns' fans. Well said sir.