Skip to content

Franchise Tag

The Browns Board
53 23 2.2k
  • @thenew23 said:

    I'd rather have Byrd than Ward. FS is a much more important position, and Byrd is about the best at it. If their contracts would be similar, I'd always take the FS. We can find another hard-hitter to play SS - it's not as demanding of a position... Major Wright, Nate Allen in FA. D.Buchannon, j.Ward, A.Dixon, C.Loston in the draft. Even J.Slaughter or J.Aubrey on our roster...

    But, like somebody else said... we still COULD sign Ward, but I think i'll be too high a price for a SS who makes a lot of mistakes in coverage...

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    @osiris said:

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    Exactly. He doesnt want a 5th LB in the secondary. If the front 7 are doing their job, we dont need a SS like Ward.
  • @thenew23 said:

    I'd rather have Byrd than Ward. FS is a much more important position, and Byrd is about the best at it. If their contracts would be similar, I'd always take the FS. We can find another hard-hitter to play SS - it's not as demanding of a position... Major Wright, Nate Allen in FA. D.Buchannon, j.Ward, A.Dixon, C.Loston in the draft. Even J.Slaughter or J.Aubrey on our roster...

    But, like somebody else said... we still COULD sign Ward, but I think i'll be too high a price for a SS who makes a lot of mistakes in coverage...

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    @osiris said:

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    Oh. Haven't been following them as much as usual. If he wants safeties who can cover, then there's no need to pay for Ward... I'm fine with letting him go, but we certainly need to spend some $ to find a good replacement or else our secondary is in even more trouble.

  • @bbedward said:

    I think Byrd's a slight upgrade. Would like to keep Ward though. One of our own young guys.

    Im confused. Byrd and Ward play different positions, and Byrd is one of the best in the game. More than a "slight upgrade" anyways.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Im confused. Byrd and Ward play different positions, and Byrd is one of the best in the game. More than a "slight upgrade" anyways.

    Yeah I meant as a unit. On the field Byrd at FS with a decent SS would make us better than Ward at SS with a decent FS.

  • I know Byrd is a FS and TJ is a SS, but what I've heard about Pettine's defense is that he really doesn't use a SS. Both of his safeties play deep and cover one half of the field. Neither really play in the box. TJ is great in the box and run game, but lacks in coverage a bit.

    Don't get me wrong because I love TJ and losing him will make me sad, but if that's how his defense is truly set up, then I get it. If you can nab Byrd, then I think it's a real positive. But Byrd just turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid safety in the game. What would make Cleveland more appealing that Buffalo?

  • I know Byrd is a FS and TJ is a SS, but what I've heard about Pettine's defense is that he really doesn't use a SS. Both of his safeties play deep and cover one half of the field. Neither really play in the box. TJ is great in the box and run game, but lacks in coverage a bit.

    Don't get me wrong because I love TJ and losing him will make me sad, but if that's how his defense is truly set up, then I get it. If you can nab Byrd, then I think it's a real positive. But Byrd just turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid safety in the game. What would make Cleveland more appealing that Buffalo?

    @hunt-daddy said:

    I know Byrd is a FS and TJ is a SS, but what I've heard about Pettine's defense is that he really doesn't use a SS. Both of his safeties play deep and cover one half of the field. Neither really play in the box. TJ is great in the box and run game, but lacks in coverage a bit.

    Don't get me wrong because I love TJ and losing him will make me sad, but if that's how his defense is truly set up, then I get it. If you can nab Byrd, then I think it's a real positive. But Byrd just turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid safety in the game. What would make Cleveland more appealing that Buffalo?

    Not being a smartass, but a couple more million would make it plenty appealing
  • I know Byrd is a FS and TJ is a SS, but what I've heard about Pettine's defense is that he really doesn't use a SS. Both of his safeties play deep and cover one half of the field. Neither really play in the box. TJ is great in the box and run game, but lacks in coverage a bit.

    Don't get me wrong because I love TJ and losing him will make me sad, but if that's how his defense is truly set up, then I get it. If you can nab Byrd, then I think it's a real positive. But Byrd just turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid safety in the game. What would make Cleveland more appealing that Buffalo?

    @hunt-daddy said:

    I know Byrd is a FS and TJ is a SS, but what I've heard about Pettine's defense is that he really doesn't use a SS. Both of his safeties play deep and cover one half of the field. Neither really play in the box. TJ is great in the box and run game, but lacks in coverage a bit.

    Don't get me wrong because I love TJ and losing him will make me sad, but if that's how his defense is truly set up, then I get it. If you can nab Byrd, then I think it's a real positive. But Byrd just turned down a contract that would have made him the highest paid safety in the game. What would make Cleveland more appealing that Buffalo?

    Probably more cushion in being the highest paid safety.

    Hopefully he just really really likes pettine, but I doubt it.

  • Yeah, Id happily pay a top safety. Earl Thomas is the main reason Seattle's D is so good.....and Byrd may be better.

  • Now we just really really really need to sign Byrd

  • or draft pryor or dixon.

  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/03/cleveland_browns_alex_mack_wil.html



    CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns coach Mike Pettine flew to California over the weekend to meet with center Alex Mack, and had what he described as a great meeting.


    It must have been, because after returning home, the Browns made Mack the highest-paid center in the NFL -- by far -- by designating him their transition player on Monday.


    The transition tag means Mack will be guaranteed at least $10.039 million with the Browns in 2014 -- the average of the top 10 offensive linemen in the NFL -- unless a team makes him an offer the Browns won't match. Once Mack hits free agency March 11, clubs can start making him offers, and the Browns have five days to match. Under terms of the tag, they also receive no compensation if Mack signs elsewhere.


    The Browns can continue to negotiate a long-term deal with Mack, but the tag makes it less likely an extension will get done this year.


    Currently, the highest paid center in the NFL is Carolina's Ryan Kalil, who averages about $8 million a year. Eagles center Jason Kelce recently signed a six-year contract extension worth $37.5 million -- about $6.5 million a year. That means the Browns are set to pay Mack roughly 25% more than the highest-paid center in the league and more than 50% above what Kelce received on average from the Eagles.


    "All options were open to us,'' Pettine said at the Cleveland Auto Show at the I-X Center Monday night. "We felt that that was best avenue for us to go. He’s an outstanding player. We want him to be a Cleveland Brown for a long time. The [transition tag] will allow us the opportunity to potentially do that.”


    The Browns also opted not to franchise Pro Bowl safety T.J. Ward, which means he's likely to hit the free agent market and sign elsewhere. The Browns can continue to negotiate with Ward from now through the free agency period, but once he's free, it's less likely he'll remain in Cleveland. Clubs can begin contacting agents of unrestricted free agents March 8, and make offers March 11. (Mack's agent can't talk to teams until March 11 per the CBA).



    “I wouldn’t read into it,'' Pettine said of not tagging Ward. ''It only eliminates the ability to have tagged him. He’s an outstanding player and he’s a Cleveland Brown and we’ll make the decision for what’s best for him moving forward.”



    Pettine couldn't comment on whether or not the Browns will pursue Bills three-time Pro Bowl safety Jairus Byrd, because he's under contract until March 11. The Bills opted not to franchise Byrd on Monday, and he's set to hit the market. The problem is, Byrd already rejected an offer by the Bills that would've paid him $30 million over the first three years of the contract, according to the Associated Press, and is on record as saying he wants to be the highest paid safety in the NFL.


    And although he had a Pro Bowl season last year, Byrd, 27, missed the first five games with plantar fasciitis in both feet and is heading into his sixth season.


    What's more, Pettine pumped the breaks a little on the Browns making a huge splash for first-day free agents.


    "You never want to be that team that kind of goes out there and is into those super-big contracts day one,'' Pettine. "Having worked in Baltimore under Ozzie Newsome, it was always right player, right price and those two things have to go hand-in-hand. You can find the right player, but you don't want to overpay for him.''


    Later, when asked about pursuing a big-name player, he said, "I really can't speak to that. It's more of a strategic thing, but I do know given our (ample cap) space, all options are on the table for us.''


    Pettine allowed that the Browns have a plan in place if they lose Ward, and that it doesn't necessarily mean signing a big-name superstar safety.


    "There are different tiers in free agency,'' he said. "Once the first one goes, that might have a chain reaction throughout.''


    He also declined to say if the club is currently negotiating with Ward's agent. The Eagles are likely to pursue Ward and Byrd, who both played for coach Chip Kelly at Oregon.


    "I won't speak on contract negotiations,'' Pettine said. "That's a policy of Ray (Farmer's) and I believe in that too.''


    Pettine said he flew to California with offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan and center Andy Moeller to sell Mack -- who will make left tackle money this year if he plays under the tag -- on the program.


    "We didn’t want to try to sign the guy, lock him up to a long-term deal when he didn’t have a good feel for who we were, for who I was, what I believed in, my core beliefs in running the program,'' said Pettine. "If it didn’t marry up to what he was looking for, then we would’ve felt comfortable turning him loose. But we felt it was important for him to see who we were as people first and then as football guys second….From our view, from our side of the table, I thought it went very well.''


    Pettine added that Mack -- set to make just slightly less than seven-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas this year ($10.9 million) -- "is outstanding. He really is. He's one of the better centers in the National Football League.''


    Quarterback Brian Hoyer, who also made an appearance at the Cleveland Auto Show Monday night, is thrilled at the chance to have Mack back this year.



    "With Alex, he takes center to whole other level because he can almost be a quarterback on the line,'' said Hoyer. "He can make the calls and a lot of those guys really rely on him so hopefully with that transition tag it works out and he ends up staying in Cleveland because it was great to get a chance to play with him and get a chance to know him.''


    Hoyer acknowledged that it's great to have a stout center to stave off inside pressure.


    "When you know you have a top guy there it does take a little bit off your table,'' said Hoyer. "He's a Pro Bowler for a reason, so to have those type of guys on your team and you talk about stability, you keep those good players in your locker room."


    Pettine addressed a number of other topics during his 11-minute interview:


    * On how the Browns feel about Ahtyba Rubin, who's making $6.6 million this year: "I think he's an outstanding player. I'm in step with Ray (Farmer) but when it comes to the financials, that's very difficult for me because my expertise in not in accounting, it's not in the cap. That's something I'm learning as a head coach, but I think he's an outstanding football player. He's one of the better run defenders in the NFL and we certainly want him to be part of our roster.''


    * On if Rubin will have to restructure to stay: "No, I wouldn't say that. Restructuring is certainly something that could happen, but it doesn't have to happen.''


    * On releasing D'Qwell Jackson: “I think there were a lot of factors that went into it. We had long discussions about it. We reached out to D’Qwell and his agent and just really couldn’t come to a middle ground to where we saw his role and where he saw his own role.”


  • @thenew23 said:

    I'd rather have Byrd than Ward. FS is a much more important position, and Byrd is about the best at it. If their contracts would be similar, I'd always take the FS. We can find another hard-hitter to play SS - it's not as demanding of a position... Major Wright, Nate Allen in FA. D.Buchannon, j.Ward, A.Dixon, C.Loston in the draft. Even J.Slaughter or J.Aubrey on our roster...

    But, like somebody else said... we still COULD sign Ward, but I think i'll be too high a price for a SS who makes a lot of mistakes in coverage...

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    @osiris said:

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    I think that may indeed be the plan.

  • I think we're overpaying Mack. But as Pettine said "don't read too much into it" about Ward.

    I'm sure we make ward a reasonable offer. It'll just be up to him to take it here or somewhere else.

  • @osiris said:

    According to interviews I heard with Pettine, I think the most likely case if Ward walks and we sign Byrd is that Gipson is moved to Strong Safety. Pettine stated he considered them to be similar players and that he doesn't draw a distinction between strong and free safeties in his system.

    I think that may indeed be the plan.

    @the-gipper said:

    I think that may indeed be the plan.

    after reading the article zombo just posted i don't think that is their plan at all. sounds to me if ward walks we'll address his replacement in the draft.

    but it does confirm that they still want him on the team along with rubin.

  • I think Byrd is a good football player but it seems like he wants a mega contract. It seems through reports that the Bills have tried a few times to make him a lucrative offer and he turned them down. It's hard to tell though because part of me doesn't blame a player for testing free agency.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think that may indeed be the plan.

    after reading the article zombo just posted i don't think that is their plan at all. sounds to me if ward walks we'll address his replacement in the draft.

    but it does confirm that they still want him on the team along with rubin.

    @miktoxic said:

    after reading the article zombo just posted i don't think that is their plan at all. sounds to me if ward walks we'll address his replacement in the draft.

    but it does confirm that they still want him on the team along with rubin.

    Well, if the Browns can get Byrd, do you not think that they would switch Gipson to SS?

    Yea, I see them taking a safety in the draft, but with a fairly high pick if they get Byrd?

  • @miktoxic said:

    after reading the article zombo just posted i don't think that is their plan at all. sounds to me if ward walks we'll address his replacement in the draft.

    but it does confirm that they still want him on the team along with rubin.

    Well, if the Browns can get Byrd, do you not think that they would switch Gipson to SS?

    Yea, I see them taking a safety in the draft, but with a fairly high pick if they get Byrd?

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, if the Browns can get Byrd, do you not think that they would switch Gipson to SS?

    Yea, I see them taking a safety in the draft, but with a fairly high pick if they get Byrd?

    From what I understand, Pettine's scheme doesn't call for a distinct FS/SS pair, he tends to play his two safeties in coverage more than in the box, so I don't think Gipson would be converting to SS, no.