Skip to content

Best 10 Gangster Movies

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
40 12 1.9k
  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Somehow I think I should get The Usual Suspects in there. Wouldn't that be considered a Gangster Movie?

    Question on the genre: If the main character is a cop or a PI, is that considered a Gangster Movie.

    Say, French Connection, or a Maltese Falcon, or some other Bogie movie?

    Or would that be considered a "Mystery" or something else?

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #3

    1. Goodfellas

    2. Godfather

    3. Scarface is usually thought of as a gangster flick so ill put that as my 3.

    4. Casino

    5. Donnie Brasco

    Turns out I don't like that many gangster movies.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #4

    Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #5

    American Gangster is a very good movie.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Layer Cake is another great british gangster movie along the lines of snatch and lock stock. Plus it has James Bond and Bane as leads.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375912/

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #7
  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
    #8

    Donnie Brasco Al and Johnny Depp nailed it

    The Departed love the irish mob

    The Road to Perdition Forest.Gump learns how to be an irish badass

    Eastern Pormises The Ruskkies should not be messed with

    Pulp Fiction QT's forray in the genre

    Gomorrah released in 08....

  • BadNewsBrownsB BadNewsBrowns wrote on last edited by BadNewsBrowns
    #9

    Godfather 1 & 2
    Goodfellas
    Scarface
    The Departed
    American History X
    Casino
    A Bronx Tale
    American Me

    Inside Job (2010) If that's not a movie about a certain ethnic Mafia,organized crime and crooks I don't know what is...

  • Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too

    I have never seen Boondock Saints. But I hear good things about it. It is obviously possible that I haven't seen all gangster movies.

  • American Gangster is a very good movie.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @browns149 said:

    American Gangster is a very good movie.

    Oh, yea, the Denzel Washington movie. I liked it. Would not make it Top Ten though. It was kind of a upgraded New Jack City.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

  • Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @slowburn said:

    Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

    The Departed was loosely a fictional version of the Whitey Bulger story, essentially. Jack Nicholson playing the role.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

  • Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @slowburn said:

    Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

    Yea, he went and lived in Santa Monica right near the beach for like 10-15 years until he was caught recently.

    Many think the FBI knew just where he was and let him be.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Actually I read where the FBI had a huge hard on for him after he had been protected by a rouge FBI agent during his run in Beantown. He was a cold blooded killer but had no vices (drugs, gambling) to trip him up. Clean living enabled him to be on the lam for 15 years.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #17

    i would ask what do you consider gangster films? do the main actors have to be affiliated with an gang (no matter what kind) in order to justify them on this list? what about a gang of dirty cops?

    1. godfather

    2. goodfellas

    3. the departed

    4. bronx tale

    5. cop land

    6. eastern promises

    7. road to perdition

    8. a prophet

    9. the warriors

    10. training day

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #18

    I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

  • I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

    Yea, as I said, I kept my list to just post 1960s. Prior to that you have a ton of them with Cagney, E.G. Robinson, Bogart, George Raft etc. And the whole Film Noir genre

  • D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by
    #20

    In no particular order:

    Godfather I and II

    Goodfellas

    Donnie Brasco

    Casino

    Eastern Promises

    The Town

    Usual Suspects

    Pulp Fiction

    Reservoir Dogs

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Angels with filthy souls. Anyone? Anyone?

    Keep the change ya filthy animal.