Best 10 Gangster Movies
-
Godfather 1 & 2
Goodfellas
Scarface
The Departed
American History X
Casino
A Bronx Tale
American MeInside Job (2010) If that's not a movie about a certain ethnic Mafia,organized crime and crooks I don't know what is...
-
Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too
Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too
I have never seen Boondock Saints. But I hear good things about it. It is obviously possible that I haven't seen all gangster movies.
-
American Gangster is a very good movie.
Oh, yea, the Denzel Washington movie. I liked it. Would not make it Top Ten though. It was kind of a upgraded New Jack City.
-
Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.
-
-
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
-
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
Yea, he went and lived in Santa Monica right near the beach for like 10-15 years until he was caught recently.
Many think the FBI knew just where he was and let him be.
-
Actually I read where the FBI had a huge hard on for him after he had been protected by a rouge FBI agent during his run in Beantown. He was a cold blooded killer but had no vices (drugs, gambling) to trip him up. Clean living enabled him to be on the lam for 15 years.
-
i would ask what do you consider gangster films? do the main actors have to be affiliated with an gang (no matter what kind) in order to justify them on this list? what about a gang of dirty cops?
1. godfather
2. goodfellas
3. the departed
4. bronx tale
5. cop land
6. eastern promises
7. road to perdition
8. a prophet
9. the warriors
10. training day
-
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
-
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
Yea, as I said, I kept my list to just post 1960s. Prior to that you have a ton of them with Cagney, E.G. Robinson, Bogart, George Raft etc. And the whole Film Noir genre
-
In no particular order:
Godfather I and II
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Casino
Eastern Promises
The Town
Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
-
Angels with filthy souls. Anyone? Anyone?
Keep the change ya filthy animal.
-
-
In no particular order:
Godfather I and II
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Casino
Eastern Promises
The Town
Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
-
the town is goodNever heard of The Town
-
The Town:
The shootout at Fenway was badass. One of my favorites along with the bank job shootout in Heat
while im at it:
The shoot out at the motor court in Bonnie and Clyde
Travis rescuing the child prostitute in Taxi Driver
Inglorious Basterd's tavern shootout is aces.
runner up include shootouts from LA Confidential and Unforgiven
-
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
"dey took my thumbs micky...they took my fucking thumbs!!"
TOne of my favorites along with the bank job shootout in Heat
Travis rescuing the child prostitute in Taxi Driver
runner up include shootouts from LA Confidential and Unforgiven
some of the best movie endings ever.
-
-
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Casino
Bronx Tales.
The French Connection.
thats My top 5 anyway.
The Godfather Trilogy
Goodfellas
Casino
Bronx Tales.
The French Connection.
thats My top 5 anyway.
The French Connection choice brings up a question: Is that a "Mob" movie? Or a "Cop" movie/mystery. I think there is a difference.
If one were to say name the best Detective/Cop movies you would likely come up with a completely different list from the "Mob movie" category.
You would likely get the likes of:
Dirty Harry and sequels
Maltese Falcon
LA Confidential
Die Hard
Heat
Seven
Serpico etc. stuff like that where the cops are the primary characters, not the criminals.
In Mob movies, the criminals are the lead. Godfather/Goodfellas etc.
I think the French Connection is a cop movie, not a mob movie.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login