Best 10 Gangster Movies
-
OK, Slowburn brought it up elsewhere: What are your Top 10 Gangster Movies?
Godfather I
Godfather II
GoodFellas
The Sting
Pulp Fiction
Snatch
Once Upon a Time in America
The Departed
Reservoir Dogs
Either The Untouchables or Donnie Brasco, I can't decide this last one.
(I did not go for Scarface...and Road to Perdition would be outside my top ten, nor Bonnie and Clyde.)
I should also say that I didn't include anything pre 1960s. Old Gangster movies almost are a separate genre.
I also know there may be some very good foreign gangster movies.
-
Somehow I think I should get The Usual Suspects in there. Wouldn't that be considered a Gangster Movie?
Question on the genre: If the main character is a cop or a PI, is that considered a Gangster Movie.
Say, French Connection, or a Maltese Falcon, or some other Bogie movie?
Or would that be considered a "Mystery" or something else?
-
1. Goodfellas
2. Godfather
3. Scarface is usually thought of as a gangster flick so ill put that as my 3.
4. Casino
5. Donnie Brasco
Turns out I don't like that many gangster movies.
-
Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too
-
American Gangster is a very good movie.
-
Layer Cake is another great british gangster movie along the lines of snatch and lock stock. Plus it has James Bond and Bane as leads.
-
-
Donnie Brasco Al and Johnny Depp nailed it
The Departed love the irish mob
The Road to Perdition Forest.Gump learns how to be an irish badass
Eastern Pormises The Ruskkies should not be messed with
Pulp Fiction QT's forray in the genre
Gomorrah released in 08....
-
Godfather 1 & 2
Goodfellas
Scarface
The Departed
American History X
Casino
A Bronx Tale
American MeInside Job (2010) If that's not a movie about a certain ethnic Mafia,organized crime and crooks I don't know what is...
-
Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too
Usual suspects and Fargo are both kinda sorta. Boondock saints too. I'd put all three of those in my top ten. Kill the Irishmen and American gangster maybe too
I have never seen Boondock Saints. But I hear good things about it. It is obviously possible that I haven't seen all gangster movies.
-
American Gangster is a very good movie.
Oh, yea, the Denzel Washington movie. I liked it. Would not make it Top Ten though. It was kind of a upgraded New Jack City.
-
Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.
-
-
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
-
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.
Yea, he went and lived in Santa Monica right near the beach for like 10-15 years until he was caught recently.
Many think the FBI knew just where he was and let him be.
-
Actually I read where the FBI had a huge hard on for him after he had been protected by a rouge FBI agent during his run in Beantown. He was a cold blooded killer but had no vices (drugs, gambling) to trip him up. Clean living enabled him to be on the lam for 15 years.
-
i would ask what do you consider gangster films? do the main actors have to be affiliated with an gang (no matter what kind) in order to justify them on this list? what about a gang of dirty cops?
1. godfather
2. goodfellas
3. the departed
4. bronx tale
5. cop land
6. eastern promises
7. road to perdition
8. a prophet
9. the warriors
10. training day
-
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
-
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.
Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?
Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?
WSS
Yea, as I said, I kept my list to just post 1960s. Prior to that you have a ton of them with Cagney, E.G. Robinson, Bogart, George Raft etc. And the whole Film Noir genre
-
In no particular order:
Godfather I and II
Goodfellas
Donnie Brasco
Casino
Eastern Promises
The Town
Usual Suspects
Pulp Fiction
Reservoir Dogs
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login