Skip to content

Best 10 Gangster Movies

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
40 12 1.9k
  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

  • Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @slowburn said:

    Look for a Whitey Bulger gansta flick in the near future.

    The Departed was loosely a fictional version of the Whitey Bulger story, essentially. Jack Nicholson playing the role.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

  • Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @slowburn said:

    Yep, forgot all about that. Of course, the demise of "Whitey" in The Departed is vastly different than the fate of the real Bulger.

    Yea, he went and lived in Santa Monica right near the beach for like 10-15 years until he was caught recently.

    Many think the FBI knew just where he was and let him be.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Actually I read where the FBI had a huge hard on for him after he had been protected by a rouge FBI agent during his run in Beantown. He was a cold blooded killer but had no vices (drugs, gambling) to trip him up. Clean living enabled him to be on the lam for 15 years.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #17

    i would ask what do you consider gangster films? do the main actors have to be affiliated with an gang (no matter what kind) in order to justify them on this list? what about a gang of dirty cops?

    1. godfather

    2. goodfellas

    3. the departed

    4. bronx tale

    5. cop land

    6. eastern promises

    7. road to perdition

    8. a prophet

    9. the warriors

    10. training day

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #18

    I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

  • I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

    Yea, as I said, I kept my list to just post 1960s. Prior to that you have a ton of them with Cagney, E.G. Robinson, Bogart, George Raft etc. And the whole Film Noir genre

  • D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by
    #20

    In no particular order:

    Godfather I and II

    Goodfellas

    Donnie Brasco

    Casino

    Eastern Promises

    The Town

    Usual Suspects

    Pulp Fiction

    Reservoir Dogs

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Angels with filthy souls. Anyone? Anyone?

    Keep the change ya filthy animal.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by gftChris
    #22

  • In no particular order:

    Godfather I and II

    Goodfellas

    Donnie Brasco

    Casino

    Eastern Promises

    The Town

    Usual Suspects

    Pulp Fiction

    Reservoir Dogs

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @dste-ace said:

    In no particular order:

    Godfather I and II

    Goodfellas

    Donnie Brasco

    Casino

    Eastern Promises

    The Town

    Usual Suspects

    Pulp Fiction

    Reservoir Dogs

    Never heard of The Town

  • @dste-ace said:

    In no particular order:

    Godfather I and II

    Goodfellas

    Donnie Brasco

    Casino

    Eastern Promises

    The Town

    Usual Suspects

    Pulp Fiction

    Reservoir Dogs

    Never heard of The Town

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @the-gipper said:

    Never heard of The Town

    the town is good
  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
    #25

    The Town:

    The shootout at Fenway was badass. One of my favorites along with the bank job shootout in Heat

    while im at it:

    The shoot out at the motor court in Bonnie and Clyde

    Travis rescuing the child prostitute in Taxi Driver

    Inglorious Basterd's tavern shootout is aces.

    runner up include shootouts from LA Confidential and Unforgiven

  • I love just about every gangster movie. I don't know that I would call Copland or American History X a gangster movie but I recently watched Copland again on PPV. Very good. And good call on the Warriors, the original, that was an outstanding film.

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    Mean Streets? Angels with dirty faces? Little Caesar?

    WSS

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @westside-steve said:

    Anybody remember the Pope of Greenwich Village?

    "dey took my thumbs micky...they took my fucking thumbs!!"

    @slowburn said:

    TOne of my favorites along with the bank job shootout in Heat

    Travis rescuing the child prostitute in Taxi Driver

    runner up include shootouts from LA Confidential and Unforgiven

    some of the best movie endings ever.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #27

    The Godfather Trilogy

    Goodfellas

    Casino

    Bronx Tales.

    The French Connection.

    thats My top 5 anyway.

  • The Godfather Trilogy

    Goodfellas

    Casino

    Bronx Tales.

    The French Connection.

    thats My top 5 anyway.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @nickers said:

    The Godfather Trilogy

    Goodfellas

    Casino

    Bronx Tales.

    The French Connection.

    thats My top 5 anyway.

    The French Connection choice brings up a question: Is that a "Mob" movie? Or a "Cop" movie/mystery. I think there is a difference.

    If one were to say name the best Detective/Cop movies you would likely come up with a completely different list from the "Mob movie" category.

    You would likely get the likes of:

    Dirty Harry and sequels

    Maltese Falcon

    LA Confidential

    Die Hard

    Heat

    Seven

    Serpico etc. stuff like that where the cops are the primary characters, not the criminals.

    In Mob movies, the criminals are the lead. Godfather/Goodfellas etc.

    I think the French Connection is a cop movie, not a mob movie.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #29

    If you mention seven which is not about the mafia, you'd have to mention silence of the lambs which is better in every way

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #30

    yeah I wouldn't consider the French Connection a mob movie either.

    WSS

  • If you mention seven which is not about the mafia, you'd have to mention silence of the lambs which is better in every way

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    If you mention seven which is not about the mafia, you'd have to mention silence of the lambs which is better in every way

    OK, I was just giving examples...not trying to do a comprehensive list.

    Though...another issue has come up: Is something like Die Hard a "Cop movie" or an Action/Adventure movie.

    This just shows how sometimes you cannot pigeonhole movies into any one particular genre.