Skip to content

Sproles and Pierre Thomas being shopped

The Browns Board
27 16 1.0k
  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #15

    if you want a scat back to catch screens for first downs, draft sammy watkins.

    also agree with mike, there is NOTHIN proven about dion lewis except that he can get hurt.

    watch us take a couple of RBs in the draft.

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #16

    My girl is a Saints fan, so I saw 12 of the 16 games last year. Pierre Thomas is a legit #1. Tough running with quickness. I'd take either one.

  • bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I don't understand the infatuation with running backs. Sproles is trending down. Thomas is getting upward in years a little too.

    Let's draft a guy or two. I like storm Johnson and fluellen.

    Running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL. The reason we couldn't find one is because we couldn't get any push up front.

  • @jcam222 said:

    LOL I honestly cannot believe there would be no interest in Sproles as a third down specialist he is still among the best in the league. At around $2.5MM it would be just stupid to not explore it. That doesn't preclude drafting a bruiser.

    Dig into those stats a little deeper, 71 receipts for 600 yds, averaging 8.4 per catch. Seems like a first down machine to me.

    2011 sproles combined for over 1300 yards and 9 tds, 2012 over 900 yards for 8 tds, 2013 over 800 yards for 4 tds. The guy is going to be 31 and is clearly trending down. Another fun note, Drew Brees doesn't play for the Browns.

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @roycerolls said:

    2011 sproles combined for over 1300 yards and 9 tds, 2012 over 900 yards for 8 tds, 2013 over 800 yards for 4 tds. The guy is going to be 31 and is clearly trending down. Another fun note, Drew Brees doesn't play for the Browns.

    The stats are accurate but may not paint the whole picture. Higher playing time for other backs, shifts in offensive strategy etc also dictate a change in overall stats. I will give you his rushing yard per attempt were down to 4.2 from the 5 range. Still very respectable. Secondly a although he received fewer targets he is money on catching passes out of the backfield. He caught 71 of 89 targets and averaged 8.5 yards per. I am not suggesting he be our only option. Paring this guy with Hyde would be amazing. He is going to come at a very reasonable price and to not consider it would be foolish.

  • R RoyceRolls wrote on last edited by
    #19

    He can still contribute and I like the guy, but a similar player can be had in the middle to the end of the draft that is both cheaper and younger than Sproles. I wouldn't be upset if they brought him to Cleveland on the cheap, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot of production out of him.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Sproiles is my wife's and her best friend favorite player since he was in San Diego. Their nick name for him is "pocket rocket". Chicks

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #21

    RBs (the majority) have a shelf life of three years. only the cream of the crop like ADP last a couple years after that.

    like jimmt johnson said once so eloquently: "if you need to find a running back let's make the next left and he'll prob be standing on the corner."

    too much YOUNG talent deep in this draft to pay some old(er) guys that will be one and done with the browns............uh, mcgahee anybody?

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    LOL I have a reminder on my phone to revive this thread mid season to visit his stats

  • LOL I have a reminder on my phone to revive this thread mid season to visit his stats

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @jcam222 said:

    LOL I have a reminder on my phone to revive this thread mid season to visit his stats

    879 yards and 4TDs.

  • @jcam222 said:

    LOL I have a reminder on my phone to revive this thread mid season to visit his stats

    879 yards and 4TDs.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    879 yards and 4TDs.

    woo!! hoo!!

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    879 yards and 4TDs.

    woo!! hoo!!

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #25

    @miktoxic said:

    woo!! hoo!!

    Mik keep in mind that is as a 3rd down back and you can throw 30+ first downs into that as well. Doesn't sound so bad to me. I will predict that he will have 1000 yds total offense with 6 TDs with the bulk obviously being in the receiving game.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @mike-h said:

    Browns have future Hall of Famer Dion Lewis. Who needs Sproles?

    Sarcasm intended

    Well, Dion Lewis IS supposed to be the Browns version of Sproles. Having been hurt in the first preseason games leaves that assumption up in the air.

    How about though we worry about our Prime RB instead of worrying about the backup/3rd down back.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Let's just field four 3rd down scatbacks.