Have we been too hard on Kruger?
-
@mike-h said:
Don't hate Kruger for Lombardis mistake. He wasn't an every down LB, and was much more effective how BALT used him.
Well they used him as a situational pass rusher...he was terrible at stopping the run, rated one of the worst OLB's for that. Well last year he was one of the better run stoppers but his pass rush sucked. I don't get it. Why was he able to beat guys 1v1 when he played for Blt but with us..at least half of his 4.5 sacks were from the qb being flushed from the blind side into him. He lost something...I dunno what. I'd have to look at his pass rush skills while in Blt, cause what I see here isn't very good aside from his very good bullrush. But I know he was getting around the edge when he was in Blt cause I saw him do it against us. So I just don't get it. But in any case, having 7 or 8 sacks would have been an acceptable "average" meh year. 4.5 sacks.....there's something fundamentally wrong with how he's going about things. No excuse that Mingo had more sacks than him. Most of Mingo's sacks were run downs from behind.
-
@mike-h said:
A lot of it had to do with Horton's schemes. Defenses adjusted to a lot of 3-step drops and quick passes to counteract it. Kruger doesn't have that initial explosion. He bull-rushes like you said and wears down a defender, but doesn't blow past anyone.
he did when he was with Blt. And there are ways of getting around the edge other than track meeting it like Mingo does. You leverage into the tackles outside shoulder and carve off the edge. That was what I saw him do against us when he was in Blt......so unless we're not being told something about possibly him being injured where he couldn't shoulder a tackle's weight around the corner, I'm completely at a loss for why he was so upright the whole season going either inside or outside.
-
@mike-h said:
I would have to study the tape more, but I'm sure teams got rid of the ball quicker than average against the Browns. The time he had to get to the passer was usually minimal, especially with the underneath routes being open against Skrine and the poor coverage by the LBs.
He was setting the timer well when he bullrushed, i'll give him that. Against Blt he had Oher back in Flacco's lap a good portion of the game. Problem is they solved him by game 4 or 5 against the Lions. That tackle stacked against the bullrush and Kruger could not make him pay for it by passing him around the edge. Stafford sat down in the pocket that game unperturbed. But u are correct that if we could have covered the underneath routes better our edge guys might have had more than 4 or 5 sacks
-
can't hate on krueger. it was our FO's over-rating and over-paying of a guy who just played on 3rd down situations.
and then now they asked him to play every down?
stoopid mother fuckers.
-
can't hate on krueger. it was our FO's over-rating and over-paying of a guy who just played on 3rd down situations.
and then now they asked him to play every down?
stoopid mother fuckers.
-
I cant find it but I think it was sometime after week 10 there was a interview with Horton regarding the defense. He said that they had yet to open up the playbook for the defense. I remember watching most games and it seemed it was the same generic crap every week with the Defense. Especially in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I think the biggest problem was the play calling.
-
Pro football focus had kruger as one of the best pass rushers at causing pressure and getting near the qb, he just wasnt getting the sacks. Which to me says the lack of coverage skills and or other pressure from the defense was the reason why. Look for kruger to have a much bigger year next season and still suck against the run.
-
Pro football focus had kruger as one of the best pass rushers at causing pressure and getting near the qb, he just wasnt getting the sacks. Which to me says the lack of coverage skills and or other pressure from the defense was the reason why. Look for kruger to have a much bigger year next season and still suck against the run.
Pro football focus had kruger as one of the best pass rushers at causing pressure and getting near the qb, he just wasnt getting the sacks. Which to me says the lack of coverage skills and or other pressure from the defense was the reason why. Look for kruger to have a much bigger year next season and still suck against the run.
yeah man, dayton, OH.how's the wheels spinning?
as far as kreuger is concerned i hope so too, but i think we over paid the guy given the plays/mins on the field to his influence and accomplishments on the opposing team's 1st and 2nd downs.
-
-
He's a healthy 28 year old who can get after the QB, and he's a smart player with a lot of energy. I think he'll do great in Pettine's defense. Some guys always look overpaid, nature of the business, and right now that seems to be Rubin and Kruger ... but I wouldn't want to replace either of them. They both have non-stop motors.
Zombo
-
Just something to throw into the mix: although it sucks, the Browns will almost always have to overpay to get a good free agent. Kruger was one of the 3-4 hottest names at the time and good or bad we paid for it.
-
Krueger would terrorize the o line if they were asleep
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login