Skip to content

Spackle

The Browns Board
34 14 1.7k
  • Gipper: Why did you start this thread if you aren't going to update it? 😡

    QB:

    RB:

    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)

    WR#2:

    OG:

    MLB1 Karlos Dansby 4 yr $24 Mil, 14 Gtd.

    MLB2:

    S: Donte Whitner agrees to 4-year, $28 million

    CB:

    P:

    K: Billy Cundiff

    Any other

    TE: Billy Dray

    ST: Truffant

    @momszer said:

    Gipper: Why did you start this thread if you aren't going to update it? 😡

    QB:

    RB:

    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)

    WR#2:

    OG:

    MLB1 Karlos Dansby 4 yr $24 Mil, 14 Gtd.

    MLB2:

    S: Donte Whitner agrees to 4-year, $28 million

    CB:

    P:

    K: Billy Cundiff

    Any other

    TE: Billy Dray

    ST: Truffant

    Others have been doing a fine job. I didn't feel the need to be redundant. Also, the only updates from what Z put on are the additions you listed. ....and I do not think they filled the needs that I had earlier identified. Truffant not the answer to the #2 CB, and Dray is depth at a position I thought was OK.

  • Looks like Hawkins is coming to CLE. $13.6M over 4 years... $10.8M guaranteed in the first 2 years. $6.8M cap hit this year... That's a lot for a WR3, so they must really like this guy...

    @thenew23 said:

    Looks like Hawkins is coming to CLE. $13.6M over 4 years... $10.8M guaranteed in the first 2 years. $6.8M cap hit this year... That's a lot for a WR3, so they must really like this guy...

    Perhaps. Nothing official though right?

    And does he fill the need at the #2 WR? I am thinking of him more as a slot guy.

    Not only that but ESPN lists Hawkins as only the 60th best WR available in FA.

    They have Brian Tyms and Davone Bess, guys we cut, as rated better than him.

    So? Is he an upgrade or not?

  • Looks like Hawkins is coming to CLE. $13.6M over 4 years... $10.8M guaranteed in the first 2 years. $6.8M cap hit this year... That's a lot for a WR3, so they must really like this guy...

    @thenew23 said:

    Looks like Hawkins is coming to CLE. $13.6M over 4 years... $10.8M guaranteed in the first 2 years. $6.8M cap hit this year... That's a lot for a WR3, so they must really like this guy...

    What with that cap number?? Brutal. I'd SAY they lik Hawkins. What a strange signing.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Looks like Hawkins is coming to CLE. $13.6M over 4 years... $10.8M guaranteed in the first 2 years. $6.8M cap hit this year... That's a lot for a WR3, so they must really like this guy...

    What with that cap number?? Brutal. I'd SAY they lik Hawkins. What a strange signing.

    @mr.-make-believe said:

    What with that cap number?? Brutal. I'd SAY they lik Hawkins. What a strange signing.

    I read that he was rated in the top ten of ALL receivers for YAC, at over 7 yards per catch.

    That could explain the signing. As opposed to someone like Little or Bess, who run 5 yard routes on 3rd and 7, etc.

  • cundiff is overpayed

    @slowburn said:

    cundiff is overpayed

    @babernakle said:

    agree

    Sorry, but you're both misinformed- or nuts. Cundiff is making a tad over one million this year $1,020,000 to be exact. Vet minimum for a guy with his experience is $855k. That little extra is chump change to the Browns.He's not Phil Dawson- but he doesn't totally suck either.

  • @slowburn said:

    cundiff is overpayed

    @babernakle said:

    agree

    Sorry, but you're both misinformed- or nuts. Cundiff is making a tad over one million this year $1,020,000 to be exact. Vet minimum for a guy with his experience is $855k. That little extra is chump change to the Browns.He's not Phil Dawson- but he doesn't totally suck either.

    @hoorta said:

    Sorry, but you're both misinformed- or nuts. Cundiff is making a tad over one million this year $1,020,000 to be exact. Vet minimum for a guy with his experience is $855k. That little extra is chump change to the Browns.He's not Phil Dawson- but he doesn't totally suck either.

    Ya, that's not a lot for a kicker. It was smart to keep a veteran kicker on the roster, I think he'll get challanged in camp by Bogatay or another young leg, may or may not keep the job.

    Zombo

  • @hoorta said:

    Sorry, but you're both misinformed- or nuts. Cundiff is making a tad over one million this year $1,020,000 to be exact. Vet minimum for a guy with his experience is $855k. That little extra is chump change to the Browns.He's not Phil Dawson- but he doesn't totally suck either.

    Ya, that's not a lot for a kicker. It was smart to keep a veteran kicker on the roster, I think he'll get challanged in camp by Bogatay or another young leg, may or may not keep the job.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Ya, that's not a lot for a kicker. It was smart to keep a veteran kicker on the roster, I think he'll get challanged in camp by Bogatay or another young leg, may or may not keep the job.

    Zombo

    He kicked well enough last year. Not a position to worry about, really. If you're picking up a new Phil the Foot in the later rounds then great, otherwise no problems going with Cundiff.

  • QB:
    RB: Ben Tate
    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)
    WR#2:
    OG:
    MLB1. Karlos Dansby
    MLB2:
    S: Donte Whitner
    CB:
    P:
    K: Billy Cundiff

    Other:

    Dray, Truffant, Hawkins (perhaps)

    I think we can safely say that we can plan to get that #2 WR at the draft. Any other FA potentials out there in the meantime?

  • OK, here is the official Spackle Board.....i.e. these are the names of the Putty with which the Browns have filled their holes. When a definitive move is made, it can be listed here:

    Edited in:

    QB:

    RB: Ben Tate

    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)

    WR#2:

    Insert slot receiver: Andrew Hawkins

    OG: Paul McQuistan?

    MLB1: Karlos Dansby

    MLB2:

    S: Donte Whitner

    CB: .

    P: Spencer Lanning

    K: Billy Cundiff

    Any other

    Trufatn in at backup DB/ST

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, here is the official Spackle Board.....i.e. these are the names of the Putty with which the Browns have filled their holes. When a definitive move is made, it can be listed here:

    QB:

    RB: Ben Tate

    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)

    WR#2:

    (inserted here) Slot Receiver: Andrew Hawkins

    OG:

    MLB1: Karlos Dansby

    MLB2:

    S: Donte Whitner

    CB:

    P: Spencer Lanning

    K: Billy Cundiff

    Any other

    I am still seeing 5 holes to fill. I don't know if there is much left out there to fill the #2 CB, #2 OLB, OG, #2 WR and QB spots.

  • Here are some of the candidates still out there that could possibly fill those holes:

    #2WR: Santonio Holmes, Mile Austin, Donario Alexander, Darius Heyward-Bey, Sidney Rice

    #2CB: Dmitri Patterson, Carlos Rogers, Mike Jenkins, Antonio Cromartie

    OG: Ebon Britton, John Jerry, Zach Allen, Richie Incognito

    FB: John Kuhn, Vonta Leach, LaRon McClain, Lex Hilliard

    QB: Shaun Hill, Michael Vick, Matt Flynn, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Josh Freeman, Kevin Kolb, Rex Grossman

    Any interest in anyone on these lists?...or anyone else that you may know to be out there as a FA at these slots?

    My views:

    QB: Grossman possible for veteran backup.....but QB likely a draft pickup

    FB: Kuhn would be good....or one of the other proven veteran FBs would be OK

    But it looks like CB, WR, OG are spots slated to be filled by draftees (unless the staff is OK with Skrine/McFadden at CB)

  • This is a deep draft, and we need to find guys at those 4 starting spots: RG, ILB, CB2, WR2.

    Right now, our options are Pinkston, Robertson, Skrine, and Little... not going to find much better left in FA, so it's important we fill those needs with our many picks. The problem is there is no OG or ILB worthy of a pick at #4, and it's hard to justify spending that early of a pick on a WR2... Still a long way to go until the picture starts to become clear, but it is nice to have so few holes to fill...

    Almost forgot, the only way QB isn't a need is if Hoyer is our guy. With 5 picks in the top 3 rounds, it's possible to get a QB and fill those needs.

  • I think Browns' fans are over-valuing Gipson. Getting a difference maker there would be bigger for the D than any other position.

  • I think Browns' fans are over-valuing Gipson. Getting a difference maker there would be bigger for the D than any other position.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think Browns' fans are over-valuing Gipson. Getting a difference maker there would be bigger for the D than any other position.

    I disagree. Getting another ILB is bigger...as that was one of the Browns weakest positions, and Dansby alone isn't enough.

    And most graded Gipson performance as well ahead of Skrine's, so that #2 CB is also more critical. Gipson handled that job pretty darn well last year. Are you still stuck on the fact that he was a UFA? That he doesn't have a big enough name? That should be irrelevent. This report by Will Burge notes that the safeties last year did about as well as any Browns unit:

    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1905276-grading-every-cleveland-browns-starters-2013-regular-season

  • I think Browns' fans are over-valuing Gipson. Getting a difference maker there would be bigger for the D than any other position.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think Browns' fans are over-valuing Gipson. Getting a difference maker there would be bigger for the D than any other position.

    I don't think so.

    He's no pro bowler, but he's solid starter. It could use an upgrade but nowhere near as big a need as CB#2, OL, CB#2, ILB.

    When I look at a difference maker like jarius byrd I see a guy who got overpaid.

    And a guy like Pryor will be drafted at the same point where we could get an equal talent at a different position. Although I do like Pryor.

  • Gipson, at best, is average. I think he should be a backup to both safety spots. And if you think Jarius Byrd was overpaid, youre out of your mind. Its him and Thomas, then everyone else as far as safety is concerned. And if you wanna get after the QB, having a ball hawk FS is huge. CB is a huge need also. ILB can be filled later in the draft. Id take the best DB left at 26 be it Gilbert, Dennard, Clinton-Dix, or Pryor.

  • Gipson, at best, is average. I think he should be a backup to both safety spots. And if you think Jarius Byrd was overpaid, youre out of your mind. Its him and Thomas, then everyone else as far as safety is concerned. And if you wanna get after the QB, having a ball hawk FS is huge. CB is a huge need also. ILB can be filled later in the draft. Id take the best DB left at 26 be it Gilbert, Dennard, Clinton-Dix, or Pryor.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Gipson, at best, is average. I think he should be a backup to both safety spots. And if you think Jarius Byrd was overpaid, youre out of your mind. Its him and Thomas, then everyone else as far as safety is concerned. And if you wanna get after the QB, having a ball hawk FS is huge. CB is a huge need also. ILB can be filled later in the draft. Id take the best DB left at 26 be it Gilbert, Dennard, Clinton-Dix, or Pryor.

    Again. I think you are wrong. I think Gipson has Pro Bowl potential. At worst he has proven very solid. Well above average.

    That position is NOT a priority for this team.

    A QB, an OG, an ILB, a WR are by far higher needs.

  • @momszer said:

    Gipper: Why did you start this thread if you aren't going to update it? 😡

    QB:

    RB:

    FB?: (if they even choose to fill)

    WR#2:

    OG:

    MLB1 Karlos Dansby 4 yr $24 Mil, 14 Gtd.

    MLB2:

    S: Donte Whitner agrees to 4-year, $28 million

    CB:

    P:

    K: Billy Cundiff

    Any other

    TE: Billy Dray

    ST: Truffant

    Others have been doing a fine job. I didn't feel the need to be redundant. Also, the only updates from what Z put on are the additions you listed. ....and I do not think they filled the needs that I had earlier identified. Truffant not the answer to the #2 CB, and Dray is depth at a position I thought was OK.

    @the-gipper said:

    Others have been doing a fine job. I didn't feel the need to be redundant.

    How 'bout the need to update your OP?

  • Another one for the wall:

    http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/5118/paul-mcquistan-to-join-cleveland-browns

    Seattle Seahawks free-agent offensive lineman Paul McQuistan has reached a one-year deal with the Cleveland Browns, a source revealed to ESPN’s John Clayton on Monday.

    If he helps us run the ball as well as they did, then great.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Others have been doing a fine job. I didn't feel the need to be redundant.

    How 'bout the need to update your OP?

    @tour2ma said:

    How 'bout the need to update your OP?

    See what I can do.