Skip to content

Religious Stuff

Political Discussion
30 5 533
  • http://christiannews.net/2014/03/16/south-carolina-school-board-member-refuses-to-stop-praying-out-loud-at-public-meetings/

    ----

    TL;DR - A Christian woman who prays out loud during the 'moment's silence' at school board meetings has said she won't stop, after being asked to by the school board, saying she's on a mission to put God back in schools.

    ----

    I suspect many of you will react by thinking something like "well it's her right to pray however she wants, this is America" - while there'll probably be the other side saying "God has no place in school anyway, she should shut up"

    I would say, that I believe that there's a place for religion in school, and that if a student wants to take 5 minutes out of his or her day to pray then that's absolutely fine. Preferably not during classes though.

    That being said, to the people who would defend her right to do that: bearing in mind that the USA legally favours no religion over another, how would you feel if there were a muslim parent saying their allahu akbar or whatever in the same space, either instead or at the same time? Would you be as supportive of his/her right to pray out loud then?

    I'd personally say that as long as you're not bothering people, you should be entitled to pray however you want. The question here is whether her praying is bothering people - if she weren't praying, instead she was just talking, that would be quite annoying, I imagine; or whether it's specifically the Christianity that's bothering people.

    What do you think? If you were in that school board meeting, "moment of silence please" - presumably for personal contemplation/prayer - and she starts with the hallelujah, praise the lord business, would be annoyed? I think I would - not for the religion, for the fact that it's supposed to be a moment of silence where I'm in deep thought, disturbed by the noises she's making.

    So what say you?

    N.B. I'm not here trying to promote islam or whatever, in case it comes across that way, I just chose it as it's usually the religion that causes the most tension in topics like this. Equally substitute your religion of choice.

    @gftchris said:

    http://christiannews.net/2014/03/16/south-carolina-school-board-member-refuses-to-stop-praying-out-loud-at-public-meetings/

    ----

    TL;DR - A Christian woman who prays out loud during the 'moment's silence' at school board meetings has said she won't stop, after being asked to by the school board, saying she's on a mission to put God back in schools.

    ----

    I suspect many of you will react by thinking something like "well it's her right to pray however she wants, this is America" - while there'll probably be the other side saying "God has no place in school anyway, she should shut up"

    I would say, that I believe that there's a place for religion in school, and that if a student wants to take 5 minutes out of his or her day to pray then that's absolutely fine. Preferably not during classes though.

    That being said, to the people who would defend her right to do that: bearing in mind that the USA legally favours no religion over another, how would you feel if there were a muslim parent saying their allahu akbar or whatever in the same space, either instead or at the same time? Would you be as supportive of his/her right to pray out loud then?

    I'd personally say that as long as you're not bothering people, you should be entitled to pray however you want. The question here is whether her praying is bothering people - if she weren't praying, instead she was just talking, that would be quite annoying, I imagine; or whether it's specifically the Christianity that's bothering people.

    What do you think? If you were in that school board meeting, "moment of silence please" - presumably for personal contemplation/prayer - and she starts with the hallelujah, praise the lord business, would be annoyed? I think I would - not for the religion, for the fact that it's supposed to be a moment of silence where I'm in deep thought, disturbed by the noises she's making.

    So what say you?

    N.B. I'm not here trying to promote islam or whatever, in case it comes across that way, I just chose it as it's usually the religion that causes the most tension in topics like this. Equally substitute your religion of choice.

    You are obviously a Muslim convert and are posing as neutral. Allah Akbar.

  • @gftchris said:

    http://christiannews.net/2014/03/16/south-carolina-school-board-member-refuses-to-stop-praying-out-loud-at-public-meetings/

    ----

    TL;DR - A Christian woman who prays out loud during the 'moment's silence' at school board meetings has said she won't stop, after being asked to by the school board, saying she's on a mission to put God back in schools.

    ----

    I suspect many of you will react by thinking something like "well it's her right to pray however she wants, this is America" - while there'll probably be the other side saying "God has no place in school anyway, she should shut up"

    I would say, that I believe that there's a place for religion in school, and that if a student wants to take 5 minutes out of his or her day to pray then that's absolutely fine. Preferably not during classes though.

    That being said, to the people who would defend her right to do that: bearing in mind that the USA legally favours no religion over another, how would you feel if there were a muslim parent saying their allahu akbar or whatever in the same space, either instead or at the same time? Would you be as supportive of his/her right to pray out loud then?

    I'd personally say that as long as you're not bothering people, you should be entitled to pray however you want. The question here is whether her praying is bothering people - if she weren't praying, instead she was just talking, that would be quite annoying, I imagine; or whether it's specifically the Christianity that's bothering people.

    What do you think? If you were in that school board meeting, "moment of silence please" - presumably for personal contemplation/prayer - and she starts with the hallelujah, praise the lord business, would be annoyed? I think I would - not for the religion, for the fact that it's supposed to be a moment of silence where I'm in deep thought, disturbed by the noises she's making.

    So what say you?

    N.B. I'm not here trying to promote islam or whatever, in case it comes across that way, I just chose it as it's usually the religion that causes the most tension in topics like this. Equally substitute your religion of choice.

    You are obviously a Muslim convert and are posing as neutral. Allah Akbar.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You are obviously a Muslim convert and are posing as neutral. Allah Akbar.

    Nope, I'm actually a hindu, converted from Judaism.

    (I'm actually christian and an officer in the boy's brigade)

  • A Muslim would not have been told to stop in the first place

  • A Muslim would not have been told to stop in the first place

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    A Muslim would not have been told to stop in the first place

    Oh god here we go with this again...

    Chris I agree with you. As long as the school shouldn't promote or favor a religion. If this is a moment of silence and she was talking I'd be annoyed.

    Why is she doing it aloud? "I am Christian! Hear me roar! I will not be oppressed!" Or something dumb like that?

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    A Muslim would not have been told to stop in the first place

    Oh god here we go with this again...

    Chris I agree with you. As long as the school shouldn't promote or favor a religion. If this is a moment of silence and she was talking I'd be annoyed.

    Why is she doing it aloud? "I am Christian! Hear me roar! I will not be oppressed!" Or something dumb like that?

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh god here we go with this again...

    Chris I agree with you. As long as the school shouldn't promote or favor a religion. If this is a moment of silence and she was talking I'd be annoyed.

    Why is she doing it aloud? "I am Christian! Hear me roar! I will not be oppressed!" Or something dumb like that?

    I know a lot of people who when they get in the mood, they get a bit carried away with it and cry out in the name of the lord. I suspect, though, that this isn't the case here.

  • If it were a Muslim, Fox News would be gleefully covering it like it was the end of the world. Instead, MSNBC will be the one fear mongering about it.

    I don't care what someone does in free time to themselves. Don't interfere in a meeting to do your personal prayer. It becomes everyone having to take a break for your religious preferences.

  • "Crying out in the name of the lord" especially tongues has always been hilariously fake to me. Even when I was religious in my younger years.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    A Muslim would not have been told to stop in the first place

    Oh god here we go with this again...

    Chris I agree with you. As long as the school shouldn't promote or favor a religion. If this is a moment of silence and she was talking I'd be annoyed.

    Why is she doing it aloud? "I am Christian! Hear me roar! I will not be oppressed!" Or something dumb like that?

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh god here we go with this again...

    Chris I agree with you. As long as the school shouldn't promote or favor a religion. If this is a moment of silence and she was talking I'd be annoyed.

    Why is she doing it aloud? "I am Christian! Hear me roar! I will not be oppressed!" Or something dumb like that?

    Oh? Find me some precedent for Muslims bring asked to stop their prayers in the first place. Otherwise you're just going the fake outraged way where you insist people are actually being treated fairly as if the world actually works like that.

  • Although I am not religious in the slightest I applaud Christians for fighting for their religion. Either all religions are treated the same or none are. People don't stop Muslims because they're afraid of reprisal. Well, Christians, stand up and make them fear your reprisals as well. Muslim does this = staff doesn't say a word about it. Christian does it = told to stop. I'm not sure what woody is not getting but I imagine he's just being obstinate because he worships a flying spaghetti monster and he believes himself to be much smarter than others.

  • It is South Carolina. I don't think there would be an issue with the locals telling a muslim to cut out the yapping during a meeting. New York or a major city? I could see it. People are PC and feel like they don't want to offend minority ethnicities or religions. But in the vast majority of the U.S., I don't think anyone would feel compelled to give the muslim more play than the christian. In fact, I think there would be a good deal of nerves on end if someone just up and started barking about Allah during the a public meeting.

  • Google Muslims asked to stop prayers and see if you get the same results I did.

  • Google Muslims asked to stop prayers and see if you get the same results I did.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Google Muslims asked to stop prayers and see if you get the same results I did.

    Are we going apples to apples and comparing the same areas? Because I guarantee that the three muslims in South Carolina don't pipe up much. I live 5 blocks from a mosque and they are invisible in the community. Why? It is West Virginia.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Dearborn =/= the majority of the U.S. Those fucks should have been tear gassed and dispersed.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Google Muslims asked to stop prayers and see if you get the same results I did.

    Are we going apples to apples and comparing the same areas? Because I guarantee that the three muslims in South Carolina don't pipe up much. I live 5 blocks from a mosque and they are invisible in the community. Why? It is West Virginia.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Are we going apples to apples and comparing the same areas? Because I guarantee that the three muslims in South Carolina don't pipe up much. I live 5 blocks from a mosque and they are invisible in the community. Why? It is West Virginia.

    The US is the US

  • As if Michigan and west Virginia are two radically different areas

  • As if Michigan and west Virginia are two radically different areas

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    As if Michigan and west Virginia are two radically different areas

    Haha ever lived in WV for any length of time?

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Are we going apples to apples and comparing the same areas? Because I guarantee that the three muslims in South Carolina don't pipe up much. I live 5 blocks from a mosque and they are invisible in the community. Why? It is West Virginia.

    The US is the US

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The US is the US

    Because people from Ohio and Cali are just alike. I think that would be news to the people from both places.

  • By your account we ought to be Europe. Last I heard abe Lincoln shot that idea down 150 years ago

  • By your account we ought to be Europe. Last I heard abe Lincoln shot that idea down 150 years ago

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    By your account we ought to be Europe. Last I heard abe Lincoln shot that idea down 150 years ago

    .....hmmm when did I imply that? I was just saying that people have different reactions in different areas. Having a gay pride parade in Mobile, AL probably wouldn't play as well as it does in Brooklyn.