Trade Little
-
I say the problem is that he was a RB in college, converted to WR because he had height and speed. Put him back at RB? or FB? He's clearly not going to be an elite receiver any time soon, even if we drop him and he does well somewhere else, it's not like we're cutting Josh Gordon.
I say the problem is that he was a RB in college, converted to WR because he had height and speed. Put him back at RB? or FB? He's clearly not going to be an elite receiver any time soon, even if we drop him and he does well somewhere else, it's not like we're cutting Josh Gordon.
Hell, make him an H-back. The guy can block like hell. And he can get YAC, if and when he catches the ball. Making him an H-back means he could see a number of screen passes. Easier to catch, and he can muscle his way for yardage.
Plus....can we not use an H-back type player?
-
I say the problem is that he was a RB in college, converted to WR because he had height and speed. Put him back at RB? or FB? He's clearly not going to be an elite receiver any time soon, even if we drop him and he does well somewhere else, it's not like we're cutting Josh Gordon.
Hell, make him an H-back. The guy can block like hell. And he can get YAC, if and when he catches the ball. Making him an H-back means he could see a number of screen passes. Easier to catch, and he can muscle his way for yardage.
Plus....can we not use an H-back type player?
Hell, make him an H-back. The guy can block like hell. And he can get YAC, if and when he catches the ball. Making him an H-back means he could see a number of screen passes. Easier to catch, and he can muscle his way for yardage.
Plus....can we not use an H-back type player?
Exactly what I was thinking.
-
I'm thinking about John Madden talking about how early on the Raiders were ready to shitcan Cliff Branch because
he couldn't hold on to the freaking ball. Fred Biletnikoff got wind of it and told Madden, "Let me work with him."
Biletnikoff got him to be more under control while running patterns and worked with his hand position when coming
out of breaks. I can't help but think that if we can get someone to work with him one-on-one, maybe he can turn the
corner. He's demonstrated that he is willing to put in the extra work.
-
Yep I totally agree with that. It's not like I and others are wanting to drop the guy one year into the NFL. He's had significant time to prove his worth, and the only thing he's proven is how not catch a football consistently. If all we could get is a 7th, then I'd agree it'd be better to keep him as a depth WR. But I'm personally seen enough of Little's mediocre play to move on to another option as a starter.
That's the thing. I doubt any team is willing to give up anything higher than a 7th, and they may not even be willing to give up a 7th. Not to mention I'm not so sure I'd even want to trade for another 5th or 6th rounder (doubt we'd get either) since we already have 10 picks. Especially if the draft is as deep at the WR position as everyone seems to believe it is. He's not an expensive option, so there's no harm in keeping him up till the final cuts and see if he earns a spot on the team. If at that point we decide he's not worth it, cut him.
Another reason I say you keep him around at least till the final cuts is that right now outside of him our WRs are likely Gordon, Hawkins, and Benjamin. Benjamin and Hawkins are each only like 180 lbs soaking wet. Both were injured last year. What if, God forbid, one of them goes down with an injury in offseason/preseason.
On top of this. Let's say we draft Watkins, or one of the other stud WRs with one of our first 3 picks. We have 4 WRs. Watkins plus 3 from above. Now let's say we take a later round rookie. We're not taking 2 within the first 4 rounds IMO. There's a reason they're on the board that long. It's just that you're walking that fine line when deciding to cut a player from a position you're already so thin at and there are issues with injury or substances for all the other WRs currently on the roster.
That's the thing. I doubt any team is willing to give up anything higher than a 7th, and they may not even be willing to give up a 7th. Not to mention I'm not so sure I'd even want to trade for another 5th or 6th rounder (doubt we'd get either) since we already have 10 picks. Especially if the draft is as deep at the WR position as everyone seems to believe it is. He's not an expensive option, so there's no harm in keeping him up till the final cuts and see if he earns a spot on the team. If at that point we decide he's not worth it, cut him.
Another reason I say you keep him around at least till the final cuts is that right now outside of him our WRs are likely Gordon, Hawkins, and Benjamin. Benjamin and Hawkins are each only like 180 lbs soaking wet. Both were injured last year. What if, God forbid, one of them goes down with an injury in offseason/preseason.
On top of this. Let's say we draft Watkins, or one of the other stud WRs with one of our first 3 picks. We have 4 WRs. Watkins plus 3 from above. Now let's say we take a later round rookie. We're not taking 2 within the first 4 rounds IMO. There's a reason they're on the board that long. It's just that you're walking that fine line when deciding to cut a player from a position you're already so thin at and there are issues with injury or substances for all the other WRs currently on the roster.
Good points, I don't disagree with anything you said. I think the most realistic way I wouldn't mind seeing Little gone is if he was packaged as part of moving up in an early round. My biggest hope is that between Gordon, Cameron, Hawkins, and a guy we undoubedtly draft Little will be a special teams player/5th WR option.
-
I'm thinking about John Madden talking about how early on the Raiders were ready to shitcan Cliff Branch because
he couldn't hold on to the freaking ball. Fred Biletnikoff got wind of it and told Madden, "Let me work with him."
Biletnikoff got him to be more under control while running patterns and worked with his hand position when coming
out of breaks. I can't help but think that if we can get someone to work with him one-on-one, maybe he can turn the
corner. He's demonstrated that he is willing to put in the extra work.
I'm thinking about John Madden talking about how early on the Raiders were ready to shitcan Cliff Branch because
he couldn't hold on to the freaking ball. Fred Biletnikoff got wind of it and told Madden, "Let me work with him."
Biletnikoff got him to be more under control while running patterns and worked with his hand position when coming
out of breaks. I can't help but think that if we can get someone to work with him one-on-one, maybe he can turn the
corner. He's demonstrated that he is willing to put in the extra work.
Freddie also helped Jack Tatum understand receiver movement, angles, etc. Made Jack a much better defender, which is scary to think about.
-
I say the problem is that he was a RB in college, converted to WR because he had height and speed. Put him back at RB? or FB? He's clearly not going to be an elite receiver any time soon, even if we drop him and he does well somewhere else, it's not like we're cutting Josh Gordon.
Hell, make him an H-back. The guy can block like hell. And he can get YAC, if and when he catches the ball. Making him an H-back means he could see a number of screen passes. Easier to catch, and he can muscle his way for yardage.
Plus....can we not use an H-back type player?
I think is a good idea. I think he could be a weapon if utilized properly.Hell, make him an H-back. The guy can block like hell. And he can get YAC, if and when he catches the ball. Making him an H-back means he could see a number of screen passes. Easier to catch, and he can muscle his way for yardage.
Plus....can we not use an H-back type player?
-
I'm thinking about John Madden talking about how early on the Raiders were ready to shitcan Cliff Branch because
he couldn't hold on to the freaking ball. Fred Biletnikoff got wind of it and told Madden, "Let me work with him."
Biletnikoff got him to be more under control while running patterns and worked with his hand position when coming
out of breaks. I can't help but think that if we can get someone to work with him one-on-one, maybe he can turn the
corner. He's demonstrated that he is willing to put in the extra work.
Freddie also helped Jack Tatum understand receiver movement, angles, etc. Made Jack a much better defender, which is scary to think about.
Freddie also helped Jack Tatum understand receiver movement, angles, etc. Made Jack a much better defender, which is scary to think about.
So it's settled then. The Browns need to hire Fred Biletnikoff.
Seriously, though, with Branch it was simply a matter of him running so out of control (he had blazing speed) that his head
was bouncing when he went into his cuts and came out of his breaks. It really wasn't a matter of him having bad hands--Branch
simply wasn't picking the ball up with his eyes in time to catch it. Braylon Edwards truly had/has bad hands--he traps the ball
against his body instead of catching it with his hands. With Little it seems to be a matter of lacking concentration.
-
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
-
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
Can we assume that is just what has happened to you?
-
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
It's not a matter of how he has performed in the past. It's just that we should probably have a replacement in mind or keep him for an "in case" reason. Like I mentioned we have two players that are coming off of injuries and another who his on his last strike. Now I sure as hell dont hope that injury or a suspension happen, but if something does happen, I'd rather have Little on the roster as a fall back option then someone who gets cut from another team or an undrafted rookie.
-
Why any of you keep clinging to any hope Little is going to be a worthwhle addition to the roster is beyond me. Based on his performance if he were a QB you would be calling to tar and feather him.
As far as converting him to another role, hell no. The NFL and a spot on our roster isnt some place for a project with a guy who has been a miserable failure for 3 solid years. Cut him and move on for gods sake. If he can work on his own to convert to another position and come back to camp next year and win a job great. Otherwise best of luck to him working elsewhere.
If I sucked at my job as much as Little sucks at his I would have been fired every year for the last 3 years.
Can we assume that is just what has happened to you?
Can we assume that is just what has happened to you?
No sorry Gip. I have been with a multinational company for 25 years and consistently post sales numbers in the top 1% in sales across 35 countries. I am good at what I do and thats why I am not let go. Greg Little is not good at what he does and should be let go.
-
You should write a book on how you got so successful.
Meanwhile, on the topic of Little, Little's rookie year he was our best receiver (gross, I know.) His second year, his last 7 games he went dropless and showed hope. He got a new coach, showed a few flashes, and showed problems dropping the ball again, and still the people ahead of him on the depth chart weren't much better than him.
We drafted a project, and while I know this is the 3rd front office of Greg's career, he was never given a chance to develop. Projects never yield instant results. I don't know what you people expected. Blame the Browns' for failing miserably, not Greg Little.
-
You should write a book on how you got so successful.
Meanwhile, on the topic of Little, Little's rookie year he was our best receiver (gross, I know.) His second year, his last 7 games he went dropless and showed hope. He got a new coach, showed a few flashes, and showed problems dropping the ball again, and still the people ahead of him on the depth chart weren't much better than him.
We drafted a project, and while I know this is the 3rd front office of Greg's career, he was never given a chance to develop. Projects never yield instant results. I don't know what you people expected. Blame the Browns' for failing miserably, not Greg Little.
You should write a book on how you got so successful.
Meanwhile, on the topic of Little, Little's rookie year he was our best receiver (gross, I know.) His second year, his last 7 games he went dropless and showed hope. He got a new coach, showed a few flashes, and showed problems dropping the ball again, and still the people ahead of him on the depth chart weren't much better than him.
We drafted a project, and while I know this is the 3rd front office of Greg's career, he was never given a chance to develop. Projects never yield instant results. I don't know what you people expected. Blame the Browns' for failing miserably, not Greg Little.
Thanks for your sarcasm on the book. I was simply responding to a specific question from the Gip. How in the fuck can you say that Greg Little has never had a chance to develop????? He was a 2nd round pick who has had three years to develop I do not care how many coaches he has. At the end of the day catching passes is catching passes period!! I dont give a shit what offense he was in, who the coach was or what the lunar phase was. He cannot and never will be a consistent pass catcher. We are not and should not be a training ground helping failed receivers try to convert to other postions.
-
But that's exactly the role we took on by drafting him. And being put out there and being a #1 and #2 receiver isn't being developed, it's being used in a position you aren't suited for. Which is the exact opposite of 'being developed.'
That reason is why a lot of skill position players fail, when a guy like Greg who is a physical monster, a good athlete, and a hard worker don't pan out, you can blame the team just as much as the player, and in this case probably the team too. Our fans are so used to bashing players and not realizing our team can't develop talent.
-
I thought it might be interesting to dig up one of Little's college scouting reports:
http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-greg-little/
An excerpt that makes me say "uh what?"
"Little may have some of the draft classβ best hands. When the ball is in the air, he shows very good concentration and coordination. His hands are average size relative to his height and length, but he is a very reliable catcher. On the field, he shows the confidence and physicality to win contested balls. He will not shy away from making plays in traffic, often displaying rare toughness for a receiver."
-
Can we assume that is just what has happened to you?
No sorry Gip. I have been with a multinational company for 25 years and consistently post sales numbers in the top 1% in sales across 35 countries. I am good at what I do and thats why I am not let go. Greg Little is not good at what he does and should be let go.
-
Little should be cut or traded. He consistently drops easy catches. Get rid of him.
-

Jealous?
-

Jealous?
Jealous?
I kinda wish I were Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login