Skip to content

QB is the TOP Pick. What Happens if the Hoyer Experiment Fails?

The Browns Board
118 37 4.7k
  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    you'd think the ability to debate these issues and scenarios would be the main people come to this Board. But no, they just want to dump THEIR perfect scenario on your face and expect you to lick it all up and beg for more, eventually when word gets out, they'll be named GM of the Cleveland Browns.

    I have my opinions, others have theirs & that's OK. I try to avoid name calling.

    It will be interesting to see what qbs (if any) Farmer brings in for private workouts. He was quoted on NFL.com those scripted pro day workouts don't impress him. In a private workout, he gets to call all the shots. Unless it's a total smokescreen, he's currently showing about zero interest in the Big 3.

    OTOH, the way the Texans are acting, sending everyone except the ball boy to all the workouts, I'd say pretty good odds they're taking a qb @ #1, which one remains to be seen.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #94

    @hoorta said:

    OTOH, the way the Texans are acting, sending everyone except the ball boy to all the workouts, I'd say pretty good odds they're taking a qb @ #1, which one remains to be seen.

    o'brien said yesterday they're definitely picking a QB, just don't know where in the draft they'll pick one.

    i think a lot of the touted class of 2014 QBs will see a big slide and a lot of these guys will be available a LOT later than first anticipated, which means everbody rated below these guys in the mocks will move up.

    gilbert now will prob go top ten as well as evans.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #95

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

  • I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #96

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    well though out post.

    i guess i'd be glad with any pick they make @4 (yeah, even manziel) just because i trust in the guy(s) making the decision.

    although some don't see it i really think evans would be a better fit when we already have sammy v 1.0 in gordon. what we don't have is a huge target that knows how to use his body to block out defenders. i also would like to think evans could out jump sammy and be a megatron type threat goingdown the sidelines and running slants to the corner of the end zone. just my opinion and preference. is he worth a #4? doubt it. but is manziel or bortles? some would argue if that's the player you want, you get him. well that's what i'd do with evans and gilbert. get them.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    well though out post.

    i guess i'd be glad with any pick they make @4 (yeah, even manziel) just because i trust in the guy(s) making the decision.

    although some don't see it i really think evans would be a better fit when we already have sammy v 1.0 in gordon. what we don't have is a huge target that knows how to use his body to block out defenders. i also would like to think evans could out jump sammy and be a megatron type threat goingdown the sidelines and running slants to the corner of the end zone. just my opinion and preference. is he worth a #4? doubt it. but is manziel or bortles? some would argue if that's the player you want, you get him. well that's what i'd do with evans and gilbert. get them.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #97

    @miktoxic said:

    well though out post.

    i guess i'd be glad with any pick they make @4 (yeah, even manziel) just because i trust in the guy(s) making the decision.

    although some don't see it i really think evans would be a better fit when we already have sammy v 1.0 in gordon. what we don't have is a huge target that knows how to use his body to block out defenders. i also would like to think evans could out jump sammy and be a megatron type threat goingdown the sidelines and running slants to the corner of the end zone. just my opinion and preference. is he worth a #4? doubt it. but is manziel or bortles? some would argue if that's the player you want, you get him. well that's what i'd do with evans and gilbert. get them.

    I, too, would rather have Evans.

    I'm in love with his size and athletic ability. He'd be a fantastic red zone threat.

    On the other hand, Watkins could provide us with a huge rest of the field threat.

    Its really what you envision this offense being.

    Gordon/Evans= Marshall/Jeffery

    Gordon/Watkins= Jones^White

  • ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #98

    I would be happy with Watkins or Evans as well, I just think Evans is a reach at 4. Watkins is an absolute game changer, not taking anything away from Evans. I've made the Marshall/Jeffrey comparison before, but I think TCPO hit it better with Gordon/Evans due to size. Either way I think it's a grand slam, especially if we got Evans in a slight trade down

  • MasterDogM MasterDog wrote on last edited by
    #99

    Drafting based on 'need' is such an antiquated thought process.

    At the top of the draft, you always grab 'the' player with game changing abilities and a star in the league.

    Never ever draft 'projects' early.....

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by

    @mike-h said:

    A scenario I would love is trading down to 6 with Atlanta so they can draft Mack or Clowney, taking a QB at 6, then trading up from 26 to get Evans or Eric Ebron.

    Ebron is 2 LEGIT

    This is now my new thing for Mock 2.0. It's so brilliant, I can't believe I thought of it, because I'm an average writer/thinker/human at best.

    Ive been saying this! Maybe not for Ebron or Evans though. Id like to get up to around 20-22 with our 35th pick though. What do you think itll cost? A third and 5th maybe?
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve

    Mike H I assume you want Bilgewater at 6? Or just anybody at 6?

    IOW Would you take Johnny football Blake Bortles or Derrick Carr at 6?

    WSS

  • I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    G GuNNerGatSKi wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    Excellent post TCPO, great analysis. IMO it's your best post on here I have read so far (i usually disagree with the majority of your opinions, nothing personal, we just think differently). I can say I hundred and ten percent agree with your post. Look guys we are used to 15 years (read that again FIFTEEN FUCKING YEARS) of a straight clusterfuck mish mash of GMs and coaches, many of them a grade below their league counterparts, that is constantly being blown up and replaced with more incompetents every two or three years (this year it was one year!). Incredibly, being the diehard, masochistic fans we are, we manage to convince ourselves every fucking year is going to be different. It sucks. Our mentality as fans, much like that of our team lockeroom and staff, has been warped by constant upheaval. With that being said, I think we have for the first time seen our team owner grab the situation by the fucking nutsack and castrate the motherfucker once and for all. That gives me confidence, more so than the usual this year will be different. You hit it on the head TCPO: it really doesn't matter who we want them to pick and who they pick period. We have to trust Pettine and Farmer, who have played the game and worked their way up the chain of command through hard work and balls, to pick the players who are a) going to bring the greatest positive impact to the Browns on the field and b ) exude a winning attitude backed up by hardwork and a never say die mentality. I honestly believe Pettine and Farmer value outstanding work ethic and character as much as pure athletic talent and potential (and I think that's much more than can be said about the previous fuckstick Brown's regimes were all to familiar with). Anyways, great post TCPO, and apologies for all the profanity as I just got home from my twelve day hitch on a drilling rig in the oilfield where every other word uttered is fuck......
  • @mike-h said:

    A scenario I would love is trading down to 6 with Atlanta so they can draft Mack or Clowney, taking a QB at 6, then trading up from 26 to get Evans or Eric Ebron.

    Ebron is 2 LEGIT

    This is now my new thing for Mock 2.0. It's so brilliant, I can't believe I thought of it, because I'm an average writer/thinker/human at best.

    Ive been saying this! Maybe not for Ebron or Evans though. Id like to get up to around 20-22 with our 35th pick though. What do you think itll cost? A third and 5th maybe?
    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @mike-h said:

    This is now my new thing for Mock 2.0. It's so brilliant, I can't believe I thought of it...

    Thank goodness for FirstPick...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Ive been saying this! Maybe not for Ebron or Evans though. Id like to get up to around 20-22 with our 35th pick though. What do you think itll cost? A third and 5th maybe?

    More than that... you're trying to move up 13 - 15 spot in the lower 1st rnd.

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Excellent post TCPO, great analysis.

    I'm pretty sure he heard you the first time...

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    It really bothers me that I said unarguably rather than inarguably.

  • @mike-h said:

    This is now my new thing for Mock 2.0. It's so brilliant, I can't believe I thought of it...

    Thank goodness for FirstPick...

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Ive been saying this! Maybe not for Ebron or Evans though. Id like to get up to around 20-22 with our 35th pick though. What do you think itll cost? A third and 5th maybe?

    More than that... you're trying to move up 13 - 15 spot in the lower 1st rnd.

    GuNNerGatSKy said:

    Excellent post TCPO, great analysis.

    I'm pretty sure he heard you the first time...

    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    Thank goodness for FirstPick...

    More than that... you're trying to move up 13 - 15 spot in the lower 1st rnd.

    ~ I bet it wouldnt be much more. Everyone wants to move down and acquire more picks.~

    I'm pretty sure he heard you the first time...

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

  • AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

  • I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    Count me as another who agrees with the above. Well presented opinion & I like it.

    Just an "out of the box" thought (it'll probably never happen), but would there be a shred of possibility of the Browns trading the 4, 26, & 2015 #1 (& maybe even another lower 2014 pick) for the Rams 2 & 13 this year? Just a crazy thought from an old man. That being said, I am also totally on board with whatever Farmer & Pettine choose to do.

    I'm tellin' you, the NFL BETTER move the draft back up in the calendar next year or we'll all go nuts!

    Mike

  • Zombo said:

    AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

    Racist with big tatas.

    aj-mccarron-mom-boobs-lead1_original.jpg

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with the opinion that you need a less-than-garbage QB to win in the NFL.

    Personally, I would love anybody in the top 10 that we pick, even Sammy Watkins (as much as I've said otherwise recently).

    There's no single way to build a championship caliber team. Some teams make it there by pounding the rock, others by passing. Some teams get there by playing smart football, other teams get there by luck and hot streaks. So, with that said, I can entertain the possibility of drafting any of the top guys.

    What I'm most concerned with is maximizing the talents of whatever player we do get. Don't take a player and try to fit him into your system. That's not how it works.

    If we get Sammy, I'll be happy. But use him where he's most talented. I'd hate to see him paired opposite Gordon and run to death on 9's and bang-8's. Don't just throw him backshoulder fades when we get in the redzone. Watkins can outjump most corners, but that doesn't mean he should. Watkins is a bigger and equally as dynamic Harvin. His first step is quicker than nearly all in the NFL. Get him the ball in space as well as down the field.

    If we get Bortles, I'll be happy. But don't just drop him back in the pocket and let him rip it. Just because he is 6'5 and looks the part of a prototypical NFL QB doesn't mean that he is one. Bortles is one of the better QB's in this draft throwing out of motion. Bortles is actually mechanically more sound throwing on the run than he is throwing from the pocket. Get Bortles on the move with play and boot action, keep him in shotgun and give him a moving pocket.

    If we get Manziel, I'll be happy. But don't just run spread, read-option plays with him simply because he's mobile. Manziel is an improviser with natural athletic ability. Just because he can run doesn't mean he should run. Keep him protected, keep him in the pocket. When things break down, then let him do what he does. Don't take him solely to run.

    If we get Mack, I'll be happy. But don't just take him to pair next to Dansby inside because there's a presumed hole at ILB. Mack is a downhill player and his size and skill set would have him best suited as a 3-4 OLB. Unfortunately, that's probably where we are deepest. Mack can be an everydown OLB in the NFL, and would be great opposite Mingo. Either try and move Sheard or Kruger inside (which I would seriously not recommend) or use that surplus at a certain position to address a hole at another position. However, with this hybrid system we're assumedly running, you can never have too many utility players and that's exactly what Sheard, Kruger and Dansby are. Kruger and Sheard can play standing up or with their hands in the dirt, and Dansby is solid and experienced in both the 4-3 and the 3-4.

    This is the way to build a championship caliber team. The skill differential between players at this level is so razor-thin. These players are (normally) still the best of the best of the best. It's not like some teams are putting out some random schlub with greasy fingers who can't throw a spiral. Even Blaine Gabbert was a talented college quarterback, as some like to forget. It comes down to getting the most out of your players and developing the right game plan.

    It's highly unlikely that we've just had a string of shitty players for the past 15 years. It's much more likely that we've had shitty coaching. Mangini is unarguably the best coach the Browns have seen since Belichick himself, and even he isn't employed as a head coach in the NFL. Same goes for GM's. Not one of the former Browns GM's from this millennium currently holds the same title anywhere in the league.

    Count me as another who agrees with the above. Well presented opinion & I like it.

    Just an "out of the box" thought (it'll probably never happen), but would there be a shred of possibility of the Browns trading the 4, 26, & 2015 #1 (& maybe even another lower 2014 pick) for the Rams 2 & 13 this year? Just a crazy thought from an old man. That being said, I am also totally on board with whatever Farmer & Pettine choose to do.

    I'm tellin' you, the NFL BETTER move the draft back up in the calendar next year or we'll all go nuts!

    Mike

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @canton-mike said:

    Count me as another who agrees with the above. Well presented opinion & I like it.

    Just an "out of the box" thought (it'll probably never happen), but would there be a shred of possibility of the Browns trading the 4, 26, & 2015 #1 (& maybe even another lower 2014 pick) for the Rams 2 & 13 this year? Just a crazy thought from an old man. That being said, I am also totally on board with whatever Farmer & Pettine choose to do.

    I'm tellin' you, the NFL BETTER move the draft back up in the calendar next year or we'll all go nuts!

    Mike

    Mike, we don't need to move up to #2, we're going to get a stud at #4 regardless. Wonder why the Texans and Rams want to trade out of #1, #2? I smell danger there. Now if the Rams were willing to part with their #13, for our #26, our top third rounder, and next year's second rounder, it would interest me.

    IMO they moved the draft back for the exact reason we're bitching- it keeps the Hot Stove League burning for a couple more weeks. 🙁 It does the teams and rookies no favors, as mini camps start almost immediately after the draft. I'd say right after the private workouts Farmer and Pettine will have their draft board set, weeks ahead of time.

  • Zombo said:

    AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    in the toolcarton.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    i hope you mis-typed that on purpose.

    ever change a light bulb?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    in the toolcarton.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    i hope you mis-typed that on purpose.

    ever change a light bulb?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @miktoxic said:

    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

    i hope you mis-typed that on purpose.

    ever change a light bulb?

    Nope, didn't know they were replaceable. Whenever a bulb goes out, I just buy a new house.

  • Zombo said:

    AJ McCarron got engaged to this:

    reg_634.KWebb.SI.mh.021213.jpg

    I don't see him as an NFL starter, but I'd throw a fourth rounder at him just to get him under contract so we could get her in Brown and Orange on Sundays for 3 or 4 years.

    Zombo

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    No thanks.

    His mom is a racist and his fiancé is not the sharpest egg in the toolcarton.

    Usually the dumb ones are best in the sack.