Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Grossi's Mock - thoughts on Robinson/Shazier

Grossi's Mock - thoughts on Robinson/Shazier

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
53 Posts 26 Posters 2.3k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • CLEinCHI CLEinCHIC
    • 201 Posts
    • 15 Reputation
    CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by CLEinCHI
    #1

    This weeks edition of Tony Grossi's mock draft (which annoyingly stops at #26) has the Browns picking up Greg Robinson at #4 (with brownsboard favorites Sammy Watkins and Khalil Mack still on the board).

    At #26 he has them picking up Ryan Shazier (in previous installments he has mentioned him playing as an uber athletic inside linebacker).

    What does everyone think?

    A link to the mock can be found at http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=30001

    Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts,

    CLEinCHI

    F 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 5k Posts
      • 1k Reputation
      jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      If they aren't going skill position or QB with the 4th pick, I'd hate to see Mack or possibly Clowney be passed on for a OT. The defense as it stands now is 1-2 players away from being really special, and either of those guys who make it happen (Mack is actually my preference for what we need). I also think a guy like Yankey is much more what the Browns need and could easily be available at 26. As much as I hope the Browns take a QB fairly early, a Mack/OG/WR first two rounds is really enticing to me.

      1 Reply Last reply
      👍
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
        • 30k Posts
        • 6k Reputation
        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
        #3

        I think Yankey may well be there at #35... he's just a bit of a reach at 26.

        On the other hand, if either Zach Martin or Xavier SuaFallaDowna is there at 26 nab 'em. Odds are not good that thet will be tho...

        EDIT: and Grossi's Robinson/ Shazier idea is just stupid...

        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
        ballpeenB R 2 Replies Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • John.R.Brown1968 John.R.Brown1968J
          • 199 Posts
          • 16 Reputation
          John.R.Brown1968J John.R.Brown1968 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

          Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

          Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

          CLEinCHIC 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • John.R.Brown1968J John.R.Brown1968

            I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

            Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

            Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

            CLEinCHI CLEinCHIC
            • 201 Posts
            • 15 Reputation
            CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @john.r.brown1968 said:

            I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

            Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

            Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

            Would the Browns move Schwartz to RG in this scenario?

            Flyin JF 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • John.R.Brown1968 John.R.Brown1968J
              • 199 Posts
              • 16 Reputation
              John.R.Brown1968J John.R.Brown1968 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              There has been talk of that. Especially after all the issues on the right side last year. I think it was the guard play that caused Schwartz to look so bad. But there's also been talk of him being moved to guard ( or off the team altogether ).

              I believe I also read in various places, that even Robinson has the ability to play guard if need be. ( can't remember for certain )

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Zombo Z
                • 8k Posts
                • 0 Reputation
                Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I would not hate the Robinson pick.

                He's is one of the four best players IMO, and we have the fourth pick ... so come away with one of them (Unless you are in love with a QB, then do what you have to do).

                Zombo

                Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 2k Posts
                  • 114 Reputation
                  Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  If we dont go QB, I love the Robinson pick. At 26, Im looking at Clinton Dix, Calvin Pryor, Dennard, or Gilbert over Shazier. I feel shoring up our secondary with another playmaker takes us farther than Shazier would, and wed find it easier getting the MLB2 on down the line. QB or WR would be the second round pick.

                  miktoxicM jcam222J 2 Replies Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI

                    @john.r.brown1968 said:

                    I like the Robinson pick. Don't like the Shazier pick.

                    Robinson has the athletism to play both tackle spots. Thomas isn't going to be around forever. The line has to be addressed at some point, and not just the guards. But with Robinson, you now have anchors. And if at any point, Thomas gets hurt, or just decides to move on for a shot at a ring, etc., you slide Robinson over. Is it high at 4 to take a RT? Sure, but Robinson provides a lot of versatility.

                    Me, I'm against the grain of convential wisdom when drafting. The game has changed. Offenses are changing. The Browns # of wins aren't changing. While I want a quarterback at some point, it's definitely not at # 4. At least not this year.

                    Would the Browns move Schwartz to RG in this scenario?

                    Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 2k Posts
                    • 114 Reputation
                    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @cleinchi said:

                    Would the Browns move Schwartz to RG in this scenario?

                    Id think Robinson would begin his career at G.
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • CLEinCHI CLEinCHIC
                      • 201 Posts
                      • 15 Reputation
                      CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by CLEinCHI
                      #10

                      The more I think about it the more I do not hate the idea of drafting him @4 , would I prefer Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins, yes. Would I prefer a QB they think can be a franchise guy, yes. As long as we do not do something like take Anthony Barr or Mike Evans at 4 I will be happy.

                      As for 26 I really think that is where you grab a WR (if watkins is not the pick at 4). Personally I would love to see Brandon Cooks in a browns uniform, Desean Jackson type of WR.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Z Zombo

                        I would not hate the Robinson pick.

                        He's is one of the four best players IMO, and we have the fourth pick ... so come away with one of them (Unless you are in love with a QB, then do what you have to do).

                        Zombo

                        Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                        • 30k Posts
                        • 6k Reputation
                        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
                        #11

                        Zombo said:

                        He's is one of the four best players IMO, and we have the fourth pick ... so come away with one of them (Unless you are in love with a QB, then do what you have to do).

                        And there's the rub... I do not have him in my top ten. Only one OT is in mine and that's Jake Mathews. I just do not see the agility in Robinson to be the top OT.

                        EDIT: Correction... My "board" is more grouped by position, so I had not set out my top ten when I wrote the above. It turns out that Robinson is in my top ten... #9 to be precise.

                        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                          • 57k Posts
                          • 4k Reputation
                          The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

                          It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

                          With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

                          I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

                          CLEinCHIC 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Flyin J Flyin JF One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 2k Posts
                            • 114 Reputation
                            Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            Robinson shouldnt be counted on right away as a LT due to his technique needing some tinkering, but his agility is just fine, and the dude is by far the best OLman available.

                            Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • The GipperT The Gipper

                              There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

                              It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

                              With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

                              I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

                              CLEinCHI CLEinCHIC
                              • 201 Posts
                              • 15 Reputation
                              CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @the-gipper said:

                              There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

                              It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

                              With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

                              I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

                              Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

                              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI

                                @the-gipper said:

                                There are 10,000 mock drafts out there....and we could talk about every one of them. But I don't think I care too. I think I am getting Mock Draft fatigue. I think there oughta be a law that says Thou shalt not come out with a Mock Draft until one month before the actual draft. It does get quite daunting to try to deal with it all.

                                It can be fun....but "too much of a good thing" is a real phenomena.

                                With our 4th and 26th picks, there isn't a guy that could be considered a first rounder at any position that we have not looked at as a possibility for the Browns.

                                I really wish they would put the draft in early April, not early May.

                                Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

                                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                • 57k Posts
                                • 4k Reputation
                                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
                                #15

                                @cleinchi said:

                                Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

                                I do too. But sometimes it can be overwhelming because it is all speculation. I can speculate about who the Browns could/should get till the cows come home.....but I am afraid that with the draft being delayed, the cow's ability to produce dairy will be spent, and it will be butchered to death.

                                CLEinCHIC 1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • cuwoohio C One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 528 Posts
                                  • 24 Reputation
                                  C cuwoohio wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

                                  The GipperT hoortaH 2 Replies Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • The GipperT The Gipper

                                    @cleinchi said:

                                    Thanks Gipper , I really like reading mock drafts and discussing potential players for the Browns. To each his own.

                                    I do too. But sometimes it can be overwhelming because it is all speculation. I can speculate about who the Browns could/should get till the cows come home.....but I am afraid that with the draft being delayed, the cow's ability to produce dairy will be spent, and it will be butchered to death.

                                    CLEinCHI CLEinCHIC
                                    • 201 Posts
                                    • 15 Reputation
                                    CLEinCHIC CLEinCHI wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @the-gipper said:

                                    I do too. But sometimes it can be overwhelming because it is all speculation. I can speculate about who the Browns could/should get till the cows come home.....but I am afraid that with the draft being delayed, the cow's ability to produce dairy will be spent, and it will be butchered to death.

                                    I agree, I think we reached that point with all the talk about Manzel about 3 weeks ago. At least when it is someone new it opens up a different type of discussion. I am with you though, the draft can not get here soon enough... being a newbie to this forum, what do you guys all talk about after the draft stuff dies down?

                                    1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • C cuwoohio

                                      Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

                                      The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                      • 57k Posts
                                      • 4k Reputation
                                      The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @cuwoohio said:

                                      Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

                                      Not sure where you are coming from with the bitter/senile comment. And he may be perfectly correct about the no QB worthy of #4 statement. Many, many supposedly qualified analysts have said the very same thing. Many say that if this were not a QB driven league, these guys would be mid round talent picks.

                                      It is possible that we just have the redux of the likes of Blaine Gabbert/Christian Ponder/Jake Locker year.

                                      or, maybe not. Maybe Blake Bortles is Baby Ben R. Maybe Johny Manziel IS Johnny Football. Maybe Teddy does find his Bridge over Trouble Waters.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • blowe B
                                        • 2k Posts
                                        • 127 Reputation
                                        B blowe wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        Shazier is a beast. I would take him

                                        "The purpose of the military is to kill people and break things " - mike huckabee
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • C cuwoohio

                                          Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

                                          hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 20k Posts
                                          • 5k Reputation
                                          hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @cuwoohio said:

                                          Grossi's still bitter and maybe a bit senile. He just jumped on the " no qb worthy of 4" bandwagon.

                                          I don't know about bitter, but there's no way I draft a OT, especially one you're penciling in to play RT at #4.You draft impact players there if you think there's no qb worthy of the #4. Mack, Clowney, or Watkins all would have a much higher impact on the Browns won-loss record this year than a RT. If they really want to upgrade Schwartz, you look to the second round - where most RTs get drafted.

                                          Really- to take a page out of Ghoolie's book- how may high draft picks do you want to put on the o-line? Three firsts and a second?

                                          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate