Skip to content

Post-Free Agency Mock Draft

The Browns Board
15 6 811
  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    OMG wtf. That's the real reason his draft stock dropped so much lol.

  • Hahaha, his draft stock has dropped because of goofy footwork and an elongated delivery leading to subpar accuracy, but this cant help lmao.

  • Os, that draft is pretty cool, except for this part, which made me glad I didn't have lunch yet.

    Mostly because, we're going to the Texas Roadhouse.

    **********************************************************************

    71
    QB ZACH METTENBERGER
    LSU
    **********************************************************************

    Seriously, no way. He is Derek Anderson except he pled guilty to two counts of sexual battery.

    Slow delivery, Derek Anderson-Sasquatch footed. Oh, he probably was drinking....etc.

    I believe I saw him in a game, where he threw two ints, maybe one drive after another, the last

    being a game loss clincher.

    Here's my stupid guesses:

    *****************************************

    1.A. Khalil Mack at 4, or

    1.A. trade down with the Vikings, and nab CJ Mosely high, or, Barr, OLB high, and an ILB later.

    I think Mack and Barr are spectacular talents, and C J Mosely will be a terrific ILB.

    These are top tier lb's, and it's a bit of a step down later.

    1.B. Switch positions in your first round, and go wr. This draft is so deep at wr, you could go

    my favorite, Beckham, Jr..... or Brandon Cooks.... One of these top tier wr's would make

    a dynamic impact. Again, the wrs after the first round aren't like these two guys.

    2nd. Your pick - Kyle Fuller - is a GREAT pick here.

    3.A. Brandon Thomas, OG, very quick, strong, he could step in at OG. He may not even be here, either.

    3.B. Your pick of Carey is also a great pick here.

    Everything else is crazy. Nobody ever gets the draft right. Sure, a few picks in the first....

    but this year, it will be far worse.

  • What's really crazy is, I also want Garappolo with whatever pick we got for trading

    down with the Vikings. That would rock.

  • Os, that draft is pretty cool, except for this part, which made me glad I didn't have lunch yet.

    Mostly because, we're going to the Texas Roadhouse.

    **********************************************************************

    71
    QB ZACH METTENBERGER
    LSU
    **********************************************************************

    Seriously, no way. He is Derek Anderson except he pled guilty to two counts of sexual battery.

    Slow delivery, Derek Anderson-Sasquatch footed. Oh, he probably was drinking....etc.

    I believe I saw him in a game, where he threw two ints, maybe one drive after another, the last

    being a game loss clincher.

    Here's my stupid guesses:

    *****************************************

    1.A. Khalil Mack at 4, or

    1.A. trade down with the Vikings, and nab CJ Mosely high, or, Barr, OLB high, and an ILB later.

    I think Mack and Barr are spectacular talents, and C J Mosely will be a terrific ILB.

    These are top tier lb's, and it's a bit of a step down later.

    1.B. Switch positions in your first round, and go wr. This draft is so deep at wr, you could go

    my favorite, Beckham, Jr..... or Brandon Cooks.... One of these top tier wr's would make

    a dynamic impact. Again, the wrs after the first round aren't like these two guys.

    2nd. Your pick - Kyle Fuller - is a GREAT pick here.

    3.A. Brandon Thomas, OG, very quick, strong, he could step in at OG. He may not even be here, either.

    3.B. Your pick of Carey is also a great pick here.

    Everything else is crazy. Nobody ever gets the draft right. Sure, a few picks in the first....

    but this year, it will be far worse.

    @calfoxwc said:

    Os, that draft is pretty cool, except for this part, which made me glad I didn't have lunch yet.

    Mostly because, we're going to the Texas Roadhouse.

    **********************************************************************

    71

    QB ZACH METTENBERGER

    LSU

    **********************************************************************

    Seriously, no way. He is Derek Anderson except he pled guilty to two counts of sexual battery.

    Slow delivery, Derek Anderson-Sasquatch footed. Oh, he probably was drinking....etc.

    I believe I saw him in a game, where he threw two ints, maybe one drive after another, the last

    being a game loss clincher.

    Here's my stupid guesses:

    *****************************************

    1.A. Khalil Mack at 4, or

    1.A. trade down with the Vikings, and nab CJ Mosely high, or, Barr, OLB high, and an ILB later.

    I think Mack and Barr are spectacular talents, and C J Mosely will be a terrific ILB.

    These are top tier lb's, and it's a bit of a step down later.

    1.B. Switch positions in your first round, and go wr. This draft is so deep at wr, you could go

    my favorite, Beckham, Jr..... or Brandon Cooks.... One of these top tier wr's would make

    a dynamic impact. Again, the wrs after the first round aren't like these two guys.

    2nd. Your pick - Kyle Fuller - is a GREAT pick here.

    3.A. Brandon Thomas, OG, very quick, strong, he could step in at OG. He may not even be here, either.

    3.B. Your pick of Carey is also a great pick here.

    Everything else is crazy. Nobody ever gets the draft right. Sure, a few picks in the first....

    but this year, it will be far worse.

    I can definitely see a case for not picking Watkins due to the depth at WR, and I'd be okay with that. I'd be happy with a trade down, as well. Unfortunately Fanspeak doesn't support trades in their draft simulator.

    I wouldn't hate Garrapolo as a pick, either, and I didn't know that Mettenberger ate his own boogers and was a convicted for sexual assault. You can scratch him off my list now, lol.

  • So I haven't done one of these in a while and with free agency and combines shaking thing up it was time for another go. This was done with Fanspeak so don't blame me for taking players who wouldn't be available when I drafted them. 🙂

    4

    WR SAMMY WATKINS

    CLEMSON

    I've come around to the idea that none of this years QBs are a good value at this pick, so we will need to give whatever QB who does start next year the tools to succeed.

    26

    ILB C.J. MOSLEY

    ALABAMA

    Yes I know, he won't be available here, but four Fanspeak drafts in a row thinks he will be, so I had to take him. With Dansby beside him to mentor him on the field, this will be a sick ILB duo.

    35

    CB KYLE FULLER

    VIRGINIA TECH

    Good quickness and size makes him the potential press corner we need.

    71

    QB ZACH METTENBERGER

    LSU

    So the Browns have a tricky situation this year with QB. None merit our first pick and I fully expect us to win at least 7 games next year, which will make it difficult to get Mariota or Hundley next year. We also can't predict what will happen to those QBs next year. So here we have Mettenberger, a guy with the prototypical frame for our division. Though not very mobile, he is poised in the pocket, and could be a steal at this point in the draft.

    83

    RB KADEEM CAREY

    ARIZONA

    Though we picked up Ben Tate, Carey was a focus of the Browns at the Combine due to him being a very good fit for a zone blocking scheme. Tate has some durability concerns so Carey will be both a backup that could get 10-15 carries a game while Tate gets 20-25.

    102

    C WESTON RICHBURG

    COLORADO STATE

    Richburg is a center with great leadership ability and the quickness to fit a zone blocking scheme. What's more, he can also compete for the guard position, and gives us a replacement for Mack if we can't keep him next year.

    123

    S ED REYNOLDS

    STANFORD

    A safety who is good against both the pass and run that can be developed under Whitner as his eventual replacement.

    133

    OT SEANTREL HENDERSON

    MIAMI

    A very big man at 6' 7" who has decent quickness for his size. Will create competition for Schwartz.

    164

    QB TAJH BOYD

    CLEMSON

    Last year he was considered first round prospect, and obviously has a connection with Watkins.

    195

    G WESLEY JOHNSON

    VANDERBILT

    Unfortunately I wasn't able to pick up Suo-Fila, Yankey, or Thomas, so here we pick up Johnson to create competition and depth at guard. He's also played tackle but is undersized for it. His quickness makes him a fit for us as a zone blocking guard.

    My mock is coming soon, so you can return the following "favor"... 😉

    @osiris said:

    4 WR SAMMY WATKINS CLEMSON

    26 ILB C.J. MOSLEY ALABAMA

    35 CB KYLE FULLER VIRGINIA TECH

    71 QB ZACH METTENBERGER LSU

    83 RB KADEEM CAREY ARIZONA

    102 C WESTON RICHBURG COLORADO STATE

    123 S ED REYNOLDS STANFORD

    133 OT SEANTREL HENDERSON MIAMI

    164 QB TAJH BOYD CLEMSON

    195 G WESLEY JOHNSON VANDERBILT

    While I love Sammy, K-Mack has pushed him to the #2 slot on my board.

    Not a Mosley fan... I think it's funny how folks diminish McCarron's ability because of the talent around him, but don't do the same for Mosley. I see him as DQII and I was not a DQ fan. Plus I love Borland's motor and think he is a much better value in Rnd 2.

    Don't know Fuller that well. Only CB I love in the draft is Justin Gilbert, but I think there's a 5th-ish round sleeper in the draft.

    As indicated above Mettenberger is a wasted pick IMO. Watched several LSU games over the past couple years and he never impressed me. Best thing I can say about him is he has NFL size... kinda like Wheezy did.

    Don't know Richburg, but I have my own sleeper Center and mine's a 6th or 7th rounder.

    Just started looking at Reynolds the other day and I like the pick there. Always loved his hitting, but I had thought him too slow. The combine showed different... and in other drills he showed more agility than I'd thought. There's a sleeper FS that'll go a round or two later than Ed.

    Seantreal Henderson is an intriguing later round choice. Bit of a problem child, but he is athletic as hell. He's one of my original sleepers.

    Can't see compounding the Mettenberg mistake by taking a 2nd "never-will-be-an-NFL-QB" in the same draft. Avoid the Boyd...

    Don't know your OG Johnson... Groy (Wisconsin) has been my late-round OG in some sims. Groy seems to have good mobility as well and he's from a veritable O-line factory.

  • Thanks Tour2ma! Looking forward to your mock. I'm convinced by you and Cal that Mettenberger is no good, I'll drop him from my next mock. I do think it would be a good idea to pick 2 QBs in this draft, even if it weren't the two I picked.

    I'm curious to see what you will do with QB as I think there is a consensus that none are a good pick at #4.

  • Thanks Tour2ma! Looking forward to your mock. I'm convinced by you and Cal that Mettenberger is no good, I'll drop him from my next mock. I do think it would be a good idea to pick 2 QBs in this draft, even if it weren't the two I picked.

    I'm curious to see what you will do with QB as I think there is a consensus that none are a good pick at #4.

    @osiris said:

    Thanks Tour2ma! Looking forward to your mock. I'm convinced by you and Cal that Mettenberger is no good, I'll drop him from my next mock. I do think it would be a good idea to pick 2 QBs in this draft, even if it weren't the two I picked.

    I'm curious to see what you will do with QB as I think there is a consensus that none are a good pick at #4.

    I think we'll have a vet on the roster besides Hoyer in September - going in to the season with three QBs with a combined 4 starts doesn't seem like the prudent thing to do.

  • @osiris said:

    Thanks Tour2ma! Looking forward to your mock. I'm convinced by you and Cal that Mettenberger is no good, I'll drop him from my next mock. I do think it would be a good idea to pick 2 QBs in this draft, even if it weren't the two I picked.

    I'm curious to see what you will do with QB as I think there is a consensus that none are a good pick at #4.

    I think we'll have a vet on the roster besides Hoyer in September - going in to the season with three QBs with a combined 4 starts doesn't seem like the prudent thing to do.

    @gftchris said:

    I think we'll have a vet on the roster besides Hoyer in September - going in to the season with three QBs with a combined 4 starts doesn't seem like the prudent thing to do.

    I'm just afraid that vet is going to be Rex Grossman, who hasn't played a single down since 2011. I think he is fine to have as a player/coach. I just don't want to see him take a single snap. Unfortunately the candidate I hoped would be signed, Fitzpatrick, has been signed, killing any talk of Schaub to the Browns as well with him being traded to the Raiders.

  • Being the GM wannabe I am, I thought it'd be fun to go back and look at my last mock draft of the prior off-season and see how the players I wanted the Browns to pick panned out. Given that draft stock rose and fell since this mock draft, I doubt there is any way we could've come away with all these guys.

    1) Sammy Watkins, WR, 4th pick of 2014 draft.

    65 receptions, 982 yards, 6 TDs.

    Needless to say, if we'd picked Watkins, Gordon would've probably been cut and we'd have one less cancer in the locker room.

    2) C.J. Mosley, ILB, 17th pick.

    133 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 2 interceptions, 3 sacks.

    Another player who is turning out to be a stud. Kirksey is good but could you have imagined the duo of Mosley and Dansby? Given our line problems he'd probably not have done as well with the Browns.

    3) Kyle Fuller, CB, 14th pick.

    54 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 4 interceptions.

    Obviously the way draft stock changed we couldn't have drafted both Mosley and Watkins as well as this guy. Still, we could've drafted him instead of Dilbert...

    4) Zach Mettenberger, QB 178th pick (6th round)

    1,412 yards, 8 TD, 7 INT, 59.8% completions, 83.4 QBR

    Better than Manziel? Yes. Better than Hoyer? Yes. sixth round pick? Yes. Should've drafted him at that kind of value? Yes.

    5) Kadeem Carey, RB 117th pick(4th round)

    36 carries, 158 yards, 4.4 YPC.

    Jury is still out on him, I guess. Farmer and co. did right by us with the RBs we picked though, so can't complain there.

    6) Weston Richburg, C/G, 43rd pick (2nd round).

    Well what can ya say. This was a guy I tabbed because he was a center in college. He probably could've helped us this year after Mack went down, but Bitonio was a far superior lineman. Richburg's PFF grade was -6.2 in October to Bitonio's +10.9.

    7) Ed Reynolds, S, 162nd pick.

    No stats that I could find on him. Guess he's a project.

    😎 Seantrel Henderson, OT, 7th round pick.

    Well, he won the starting job over in Buffalo. Could've possibly beat out Schwartz for the starting job. Either way, he's a great value for a 7th round pick.

    9) Tajh Boyd, QB, 6th round.

    Sat on the Jets bench all year.

    10) Wesley Johnson, G, 173rd pick.

    Not good enough to stick with the Steelers and was cut. Now with the Jets.

    So overall, three future stars (Watkins, Mosley, Fuller), a possible QB of the future (Mettenberger), and a starting lineman (Henderson). Not too shabby.