Quarterback prospects highs vs lows
-
Were the comparisons meant to be funny?
Steve Young is a runner ... Bridgewater not a runner.
Blake Bortles is either going to be a good black quarterback or a mediocre black quarterback.
Cunningham ... Manziel ... Tall lean introverted black guy versus short solid extroverted white guy ... I mean, they are both mobile and throw footballs, but in what world does Maziel project to have a Cunningham like career?
Zombo
-
-
I tried to pick players with similar skill sets and play styles, not skin color. I tried to use size, but it starts getting incredibly hard when you have such a rare player like Manziel. He has a huge bust to success rate and I don't see a grey area with him. Either he will be really good or just a turd.
Your right PG, Carr isn't 28, so he does have that going for him. I thought about using Favre as his high, because he has potential, but watching him tremble in the pocket gave me flash backs of the ginger cringer.
I never thought of Steve Young as a runner. He was mobile and that was a big part of his game, but he was a passer first. I wanted to put Aaron Rodgers as his ceiling, but I figured there would be a uproar and this would thread would boil down to homer name calling and die. The main point I was trying to make is he should be successful in a WCO but will probably struggle in most of the other styles.
-
If Bridgewater has a career like Brunell, I would think he would take it. Brunell had over 30,000 yards passing and 184 td passes
If Bridgewater has a career like Brunell, I would think he would take it. Brunell had over 30,000 yards passing and 184 td passes
Shit that was my thought, Brunell was a good QB. The thing I remember most about him was he was a warrior, played through injuries at a high level ala Brett Favre
-
I have heard Manziel compared to Jeff Garcia.
Carr reminds me of Weeden in terms of collapsing under Pocket pressure, but I do think he has a better chance at succeeding than Weeden does.
Bortles I think is somewhat similar to Rothlesberger.
Bridgewater was compared to Luck by the USF head coach.
-
-
well, not the ONLY one...there's PG, MKCabot, and myself for what THAT'S worth.
regardless, like Derek Carr a lot...and honestly there's a lot to like about him.
if he's still available to take w the 2nd 1st rounder (and they haven't yet taken a QB) i seriously hope they pull the trigger.
if they do not and he's still there when they pick in the 2nd rd and they still pass (and they STILL haven't taken a QB) i'll be fucking pissed.
his football IQ, leadership ability, touch, and short and intermediate balls are all far superior to Weeds and Anderception so those comparisons aren't truly accurate. his ceiling is actually much higher than many give him credit for.
ideally, Brian Hoyer comes back 100% and starts all year (i know i know -- ridiculously tall order in Cle) allowing Carr to develop behind him for 2 or so seasons as the game slows way down for him while he digests the bulk of the playbok...all the while receiving some quality mentoring from Hoyer and staff.
no matter what happens he's going to surprise some people...mark my words.
-
How is Johnny Football's low just Seneca Wallace? Seneca started on a few teams and has had a long NFL career. His low is Jamarcus Russel
-
Johnny Scrambles low is Colt Mccoy...but it's possible his high may also be Colt McCoy.
-
Just for you cambridgeho
Zach Mettenberger
High- Vinny Testaverde
Low- Derek Anderson
I was really low on Metteneberger last year, but I blame that on his old QB coach Steve Kragthorpe (this is my personal bias because he is the coach that ran Louisville's football program into the ground) Once Zach got a real OC he made huge strides. He has a cannon and has showed that he is coachable, he stands tall in the pocket and steps up to avoid pressure. Where he falls short is he gets overly aggressive and tries to force balls too often. He isn't mobile and he also eats boogers.
Jimmy Garapollo
High- Chad Pennington
Low- Graham Harrell
I do not get the hype on this guy at all. I see the stats he put up and they are impressive, but this guy has noodle arm. I have heard a lot about his quick release, but it seems like he just cuts his throwing motion in half and lofts all of his throws. I think his low grade fits him well, they both put up huge stats and will be lucky to hold a back up spot for a few years. I personally give him an UDFA grade so that means we will probably take him with our 2nd 1st.
A.J. McCarron
High- Trent Dilfer
Low- Ken Dorsey
Like Dorsey all this guy does is win ball games, but it seems unlikely that he will be a starter in the NFL. If a perfect storm happens and he lands on an all star team he may be able to manage the game well enough to win some games. A.J. does have a high completion percentage, but he has a mediocre arm and its hard to judge his pocket presence when he had 5 NFL lineman blocking for him. I would spend a late round pick on him just to bring his wife in town.
Aaron Murray
High- Matt Shaub
Low- Mark Sanchez
Aaron Murray is interesting. He looks good at time while, under-achieving with such a talented supporting cast. He is small and some what fragile, but has an under-rated arm. He shows decent mobility in the pocket but gets flustered when he gets hit. Overall if he is a really late project QB that could be a solid backup in a few years.
-
How is Johnny Football's low just Seneca Wallace? Seneca started on a few teams and has had a long NFL career. His low is Jamarcus Russel
How is Johnny Football's low just Seneca Wallace? Seneca started on a few teams and has had a long NFL career. His low is Jamarcus Russel
that's everybody's low. But there are absolutely no similarities between the two quarterbacks. That's what's wrong with this entire stupid thread. You might as well say his high is Babe Ruth. And his low is Keanu Reeves.
WSS
-
i'm not on derek carr's bandwagon but he's not as bad as some people are making him out to be. he's looked good at the combine, pro day and on every tv spot i've seen including gruden's nfl camp (where gruden ends the show hinting that he might have him as the #1 QB in the class).
he's accurate as fuck, has the best arm in the class, but he does not handle pressure well. so that's his only negative?
you want to go and list the negatives of the others in the class?
btw steve young was the best comparable to manziel's high. he used to run the ball a lot and paid the price for it many times.
-
I tried to pick players with similar skill sets and play styles, not skin color. I tried to use size, but it starts getting incredibly hard when you have such a rare player like Manziel. He has a huge bust to success rate and I don't see a grey area with him. Either he will be really good or just a turd.
Your right PG, Carr isn't 28, so he does have that going for him. I thought about using Favre as his high, because he has potential, but watching him tremble in the pocket gave me flash backs of the ginger cringer.
I never thought of Steve Young as a runner. He was mobile and that was a big part of his game, but he was a passer first. I wanted to put Aaron Rodgers as his ceiling, but I figured there would be a uproar and this would thread would boil down to homer name calling and die. The main point I was trying to make is he should be successful in a WCO but will probably struggle in most of the other styles.
I never thought of Steve Young as a runner. He was mobile and that was a big part of his game, but he was a passer first.
Well, they are all passers first, but Steve Young ran for 4,329 yards and 43 TDs in the NFL ... Bridgewater doesn't run ... 0.8 ypc in college. I could see if you used Steve Young for Manziel ... but Bridgewater?
And Cunningham was a big , tall guy with a rocket arm, so the manziel comparison I find baffling.
Manziels high would be Fran Tarkenton, or Young. His low would be Bubby Brister.
Zombo
-
OK, I see how this works:
Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway
........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham
Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)
.................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps
John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie
.........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow
(right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)
Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler
.....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer
-
OK, I see how this works:
Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway
........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham
Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)
.................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps
John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie
.........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow
(right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)
Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler
.....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer
OK, I see how this works:
Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway
........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham
Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)
.................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps
John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie
.........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow
(right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)
Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler
.....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer
Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.
-
OK, I see how this works:
Blake Bortles: High: Ben Roethlisberger...or John Elway
........................Low: Scott Brunner, Kent Graham
Teddy Twatwater: High: Roger Staubach/Jim Kelly...(or if you want to do the black on black: Warren Moon)
.................................Low: Jack Trudeau/Mike Phipps
John Manziel: High: Sonny Jurgenson, Drew Brees, Doug Flutie
.........................Low: Gary Cuozzo, Al Dorow
(right, most of you have not heard of these short guys because they weren't good)
Derek Carr: High: Dan Fouts, Ken Stabler
.....................Low: David Carr, Rick Mirer
Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.
Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.
I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.
As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?
-
Be a little more charitable to JF- Tarkenton was 6'0" statistically insignificant as to height. However, way back when he played there were a lot less 6'5" offensive linemen playing, and defensive ends weighed around 235, the big ones were 250.
I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.
As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?
I didn't think comparing him on the high side to Sonny Jurgenson....who was also 5"11, and Drew Brees at 6' was uncharitable.
As for comparing him to Cuozzo and Dorow....I was finding QBs of similar height that were basically career backups. Some really high pick QBs have ended up primarily as backups in their careers, no?
Let's say height and style of play. Brees doesn't run and IIRC Jurgenson was a statue.
-
Bortles has decent size but not NEARLY as big as Big Rape...nor is he framed similarly or as hard to bring down. and he WISHES he had HALF the arm of Horse Face.
very VERY few NFL QB's have had an elite and accurate cannon like Elway... Cutler, Favre, Bradshaw...Carson Palmer >>> most don't realize it but the latter was once able to throw over 95 fucking yards through the air at one of those QB competitions. yes...i said through the air.
Bortles has a typical Pennington/Matt Ryan/Shaub/Cassell very average arm. nothing special at all to deserve such high praise in my opinon. he IS accurate though...Montana may be a better fit on his arm...but Vince Young/Cam Newton are probably closer still.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
